PDA

View Full Version : If you burn your toast, do you throw it out and start over, or eat it even though it's burnt?

Slacker
12-30-2010, 06:01 PM
As I was throwing some burnt toast away today, I heard my mother's voice in my head from long ago and far away telling me I was being wasteful and had to eat the toast even though I burned it instead of putting fresh bread into the toaster to make new, unburnt toast.

So what do you do?

cracka
12-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Toss it.

ashlesha
12-30-2010, 06:13 PM
i eat it. unless its so hard it would hurt my teeth or something. throwing an entire item of food away feels weird.

male
12-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Salvage what can be salvaged and discard the rest

pianosinger
12-30-2010, 06:23 PM
slather on A LOT of butter to soften it up lol

Minde
12-30-2010, 07:24 PM
I used to try to eat it, but depending on the level of burntness it's usually not worth the terrible taste. Sometimes I feed pieces to my dog and have him do tricks for it, but usually I'll just throw it away.

On the one hand, yeah, it's kind of wasteful, and generally I try not to waste food (e.g. ordering/making only what I'll eat). On the other hand, at least food is biodegradable.

Galen
12-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I grind it into a fine black paste and snort it. It's a great substitute for caffeine if you ask me.

FDG
12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
No way I'd eat burnt stuff. Since we live in a first-world country, throwing away burnt food is perfectly reasonable.

Abbie the Child
12-30-2010, 08:09 PM
My SLE brother keeps throwing away toast.

We got a new toaster. I wanted a sandwich. I set it to the usual sandwich temperature and put the bread in. It came out too dark, so I made jelly toast with that bread.

April
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't burn my toast. Why can't you guys be more perfect? :frown:

The Exception
12-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Not type related

CILi
12-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Why can't you guys be more perfect? :frown:
I don't burn my toast either. :thumbsup:

I'm avoidant. I don't even try for toast.

White bread's fine. Perfection's hard.

jessica129
12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Not type related
lol good to know. NO I THINK FI VALUERS WOULD EAT IT CUZ THEY DONT WANNA HURT THE TOASTS FEELINGS

Slacker
12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
RoFL

Slacker
12-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I can't imagine eating burnt toast.

EyeSeeCold
12-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Not type related

:8*

Pa3s
12-30-2010, 10:13 PM
it's easy

1. lightly burnt: eat it
2. moderately burnt: scrape off the surface, then eat it
3. heavily burnt: throw it away

...and this is SO type related. :lol:

ashlesha
12-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Not type related

rofl. i read this and then just had to scroll up to see if it was actually in the is it type related subforum. nice.

Capitalist Pig
12-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Depends how badly it is burnt. I mean, if it is like just so black that it's about to disintegrate in your hand...not worth it. If it's burnt badly but isn't about to disintegrate, I will attempt to eat it. If even that is too hard, then I will discard it, possibly by tossing it outside so birds or whatever can pick at it or drop it in the water (I live on the water...not literally but you know) for fish and shit to eat. I hate wasting anything because it's how I was raised and it's how I feel.This. :thumbsup:

Galen
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Not type related
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Arctures/funny%20faces/asses.jpg

Wynch
12-30-2010, 11:03 PM
If it's just over toasted (e.g. lightly burnt) then I eat it. Anything beyond that is garbage in my books. Just because other people are starving, doesn't mean I am. Also, the people who are starving STILL won't benefit from me eating or not-throwing-away my toast. I typically don't waste food, but it's not wasteful in my books to toss something that's barely edible.

Aiss
12-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Depends how badly it is burnt.

This is exactly, word for word, what I was going to write as soon as I've seen this thread title. It all depends.

(How badly burnt <=> whether I deem it worth the time and effort of scraping off the black parts, that is.)

Trevor
12-30-2010, 11:30 PM
This is exactly, word for word, what I was going to write as soon as I've seen this thread title. It all depends.

(How badly burnt <=> whether I deem it worth the time and effort of scraping off the black parts, that is.)
Nice to see you :).

munenori2
12-31-2010, 12:37 AM
how do you burn toast? Forget you put it in already and give it a second go around?

Capitalist Pig
12-31-2010, 12:39 AM
how do you burn toast? Forget you put it in already and give it a second go around?The only things I can think of is forgetting about it or not being familiar with the toaster settings.

Galen
12-31-2010, 12:41 AM
how do you burn toast? Forget you put it in already and give it a second go around?
Looks like someone grew up in a house with timed toasters.

munenori2
12-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Also, the people who are starving STILL won't benefit from me eating or not-throwing-away my toast.

Unless they're cannibals!

munenori2
12-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Looks like someone grew up in a house with timed toasters.

WHAT CENTURY ARE YOU GUYS FROM?!

Aiss
12-31-2010, 12:47 AM
^ Also, if you only make 1-2 toasts every time, you might be unaware of the fact that making more in already hot toaster requires lower setting (and learn this by burning the second batch the first time you try it). Unless you have one with more sophisticated settings than just time adjustment.

Thanks for letting me know I didn't miss anything interesting, tut. :)

Skeptic
12-31-2010, 12:59 AM
You compost it, feed it to some plants after ~ 3 weeks of compost maintenance and wait a couple months for harvest; eat the tasty fruit.

You'll capitalize on your original toast investment at least tenfold, feeding millions of microorganisms on the way. This way, everybody wins.

Slacker
12-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Toast gets burnt here because one of my kids likes to turn the little dial on the toaster. The other one can't reach it or she'd probably stick a fork in it and kill herself or something. The primary job of the parent of a toddler is to keep the kid from killing herself.

Galen
12-31-2010, 01:09 AM
WHAT CENTURY ARE YOU GUYS FROM?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7h4qT6OrdQ

bg
12-31-2010, 06:46 AM
I just scrape the burnt part off. Good as new.

^that. although i don't burn toast.

inumbra
12-31-2010, 07:38 AM
eat it, toss it and make more, toss it and don't bother making more, remove the burnt part(s), whatever depending on the degree and my mood (i'll eat it as long as it still seems edible)... wouldn't feed it to birds because apparently they can't digest it well and it can kill them if they eat too much bread. anyway i rarely ever use my toaster these days.

female
12-31-2010, 08:03 AM
I eat it. I burn popcorn and hotdogs on purpose just to get that charcoal taste.

12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
burn ur toast and have it too

I eat it. I burn popcorn and hotdogs on purpose just to get that charcoal taste.

shut ur filthy mouth

Marie84
12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
It depends how burnt it is; if it's only blackened on some parts I usually just scrape it off with a butter knife

Aiss
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Same! Popcorn is gross.

Fixed.

golden
12-31-2010, 04:07 PM
For a long while, I had a great 4-slot toaster and commandeered one side of it, so the setting was always right for me. But we had a regular houseguest who liked my side AND liked burnt toast. Grrrrr.

In case of burning: If it's handmade bread or artisanal bread or whatever, I salvage what I can. If it's standard-issue presliced bread, it gets tossed. If it's an organic pop-tart thingy, I have to eat it.

Cuddly McFluffles
12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't burn my toast. Why can't you guys be more perfect? :frown:

lol good to know. NO I THINK FI VALUERS WOULD EAT IT CUZ THEY DONT WANNA HURT THE TOASTS FEELINGS

XD

Depends on how badly it's burnt. Charcoal goes in the trashcan.

As to how toast can be burnt: I put mine in twice, one on Medium (3) and again on Low (1). Otherwise, it's too soft. This can cause some burning at times.

mu4
01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't have a toaster

Absurd
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I ditch the toaster, stomp, cry and become very dramatic about it. In that order. After that, I log in here and bitch, and moan.

male
01-05-2011, 01:49 AM
As I was throwing some burnt toast away today, I heard my mother's voice in my head from long ago and far away telling me I was being wasteful and had to eat the toast even though I burned it instead of putting fresh bread into the toaster to make new, unburnt toast.

So what do you do?

I take the toast, sell it to someone else as "artisan toast", then I see if they eat it or throw it out.

If they want there money back I try to convince a person's the burned edges add a more rustic old world flavor to it and accuse them of being an uncultured swine. If that fails I guilt them by telling them they are wasteful in this time of economic strain. Finally if that fails I carry around unburnt bread that is stale that I reimburse them with, then flee to another country.

You may think that's wrong, but you don't know me.... and beside human morality is just a matter of personal preference, and my preference is to not be wasteful, to try to turn trash into another man's treasure, who are you to question my ethics!