Thread: Acting "out of one's type"

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Acting "out of one's type"

Just wondering whether anyone has any specific instances of someone acting quite differently than their type should act....
    Suomea

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    Just wondering whether anyone has any specific instances of someone acting quite differently than their type should act....
    Yes. A former LSI classmate of mine would act very randomly whenever she got excited.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every now and then I go into a short-lived get stuff done really quickly and efficiently mode. If I were observed in this mode... I might look EJ. Though the vast majority of the time I will appear IP.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once I was listening to two LSIs arguing: One said that white people unfairly "stole" and got credit for the elements and style of black American music (primarily jazz), because racism against blacks prevented them from becoming famous. The other responded that it was the same way with Judaism and Christianity, and that everything is derivative anyway, so you can't really blame the white musicians for the racism at the time, and it doesn't detract from the value of their music.

I thought the second LSI's response showed a very sophisticated understanding of Ne, although it's not typical for her.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that people do use their super-ego (either role or POLR) when ever they are causally talking about something and are not trying to solve any serious problems.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I got into socionics, I think it was pretty common for me to act out of my superego functions, especially Ti, with people I knew only on a superficial level. However this was always extremely tiring and convinced me that I had to really get to know people before I could be myself. It was kind of a shoddy defense mechanism in the sense that I felt it was better to risk being disliked for who I wasn't than being upfront and disliked for who I was, which I reserved for the people who I'd figured out I could trust. Needless to say, this way of doing things was taxing, ineffective, and led me to be a very socially closed person.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to act more like an ESFp when I'm consciously trying to be outgoing. Friends I've met while "being outgoing" don't believe me when I tell them I'm really more of an introvert.

I also tend to be slightly ISFj in the presence of anyone with a moderately strong Percieving tendency, since I'm barely Percieving myself.
    ISFp <3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Every now and then I go into a short-lived get stuff done really quickly and efficiently mode. If I were observed in this mode... I might look EJ. Though the vast majority of the time I will appear IP.
    haha me too. Also when I force myself to take responsibility for something (usually because I deem everyone else incompetent) I acquire a take no prisoners attitude and my face turns to stone and I give orders like a first-class asshole. Funny thing is that people seem frightened into doing whatever I tell them when acting so outlandishly, which is good, because then I can go back to normal mode again.
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Once I was listening to two LSIs arguing: One said that white people unfairly "stole" and got credit for the elements and style of black American music (primarily jazz), because racism against blacks prevented them from becoming famous. The other responded that it was the same way with Judaism and Christianity, and that everything is derivative anyway, so you can't really blame the white musicians for the racism at the time, and it doesn't detract from the value of their music.

I thought the second LSI's response showed a very sophisticated understanding of Ne, although it's not typical for her.

i agree (don't hate me LSIs)

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I become more J and T based under duress.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every once in awhile I smile.

It's ok though, I make it up by killing a kitten.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post

haha just think, if you got into the cat-breeding business you'd have an endless supply of kittens and could smile almost all the time! not only that but in the 3 seconds between each smile you could let one lucky kitten go to some yuppie family and make money. It would be like *stab kitten* *smile* *cha-ching* *repeat*
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I think I should start wearing a sign when I go out drinking that reads "Caution: EIIs under the influence may appear sluttier than they actually are."
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Yea, I think I should start wearing a sign when I go out drinking that reads "Caution: EIIs under the influence may appear sluttier than they actually are."
    lol, drinking is a whole other issue altogether!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post

LOL! That's awesome....

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more serious around people who I feel don't approve of my lightheartedness. People who don't know me well would probably think of me as INTp or ISTp. Though it's more of a suppression of spontaneous expression than a conscious decision to act out of character.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    haha just think, if you got into the cat-breeding business you'd have an endless supply of kittens and could smile almost all the time! not only that but in the 3 seconds between each smile you could let one lucky kitten go to some yuppie family and make money. It would be like *stab kitten* *smile* *cha-ching* *repeat*
    .........!!

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would an SEI typically act under stress? I'm curious!
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    How would an SEI typically act under stress? I'm curious!
    Don't you have firsthand knowledge of that? :-)

Depends what kind of stress really.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    Yeah, me. People think I use Ti. They don't have a goddamn clue what Ti is. The elements of Ti that look remotely evident in me are simply Se; people are conflating Se with Se and Ti, probably because they've seen what an SLE looks like, and what they think is Se+Ti is actually just Se.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Yeah, me. People think I use Ti. They don't have a goddamn clue what Ti is. The elements of Ti that look remotely evident in me are simply Se; people are conflating Se with Se and Ti, probably because they've seen what an SLE looks like, and what they think is Se+Ti is actually just Se.
    lol the irony.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Suomea