Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics and the Hindu Gods

I played around with this idea a few years ago when I was looking back into Hinduism. I originally tried to align each type with a deity (there are more than enough to go around), but it became too overwhelming.

Background
    Hinduism is not a monolithic entity, but an umbrella term used to refer to a collection of loosely-related worship traditions. Originally, religion on the Indian subcontinent consisted of animism no different from that which evolved among early human populations. This original form of nature worship filtered its way into the Vedas, in which the gods were representations of natural forces: Agni (God of Fire), Indra (God of Rain), and Varuna (God of the Sky). These earlier deities were eventually superceded by a more modern pantheon. Modern Hindu religious sects are divided into three or four lineages (depending on how you're delineating), which have roughly the same relationship with each other as the three Abrahamic religions: Shaktism (worship of Shakti), Vaishnaism (worship of Vishnu), Shaivism (worship of Shiva), and Smartaism (worship of all deities without distinction); they can also be divided into the triumvirate: Brahma (the Creator), Vishnu (the Maintainer), and Shiva (the Destroyer).

Alpha: Adi Parashakti -- The Divine Mother

• Notable Avatars: Parvati
    • Male Consorts: Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma

Of the four main deities here, Adi Parashakti is probably the oldest asside from Shiva and most closely related to the early animist tribal religions. Also like Shiva, she has counterparts in almost every theistic pantheon throughout the world. She represents the eternal womb -- the source from which life emerges. She represents creative potential, generativity, and motherhood ( and ), though she is more principle than form. Shaktism, the school with which she is most associated, is the worship of Shakti: the energy underlying all of life.

Beta: Shiva -- The Destroyer

Shiva is the darkest of the Hindu triumvirate. He is portrayed as somewhat of a broody, aescetic, loner mountain man/warrior, retreating for solace into the Himilayas to meditate (). He is the lord of the animal realm, death, time, and the bringer of all ends and destruction (). He is prone to temper tantrums (cutting off the head of his own son, Ganesh, in a fit of anger) and his mythology is pretty dramatic (), especially his relationships with his female counterparts, Parvati and Kali. He is considered the masculine counterpart to Adi Parashakti.

Gamma: Buddha -- The Dissenter

So, Buddha isn't a Hindu God, but is the figure I feel most represents the spirit of Gamma. I have previously written about Buddha here as probably -ego. I am leaning toward ILI for him. His philosophy is practical, logical, austere, and makes morality an issue of pragmatism. He also was likely no -valuing in that he preferred a life divested of sensual pleasure. I am most attracted to his teaching, though (at least in its original form) it unfortunately lacks the color and zanyness of the Hindu deities.

Delta: Vishnu -- The God of Life

• Notable Avatars: Krishna, Rama, Dashtavatara (animal avatars), (some Hindus maintain Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu, but this is merely a retroactive attempt to bring Buddhism "into the fold" of Vedic religion)
    • Female Consorts: Lakshmi

Of the present-day Hindu pantheom, Vishnu has the largest following, owing to the popularity of the Bhagavad Gita in which his avatar Krishna extolls the virtues of living a life of devotion and duty and the Ramayana, in which his avatar Rama vanquishes the demon Ravana to save his wife Sita. Vishnu is probably the most down-to-earth of the dieties listed here because earth is his realm and humankind is his object of stewardship. He is content to maintain the status quo, keeping everything in equilibrium and balance.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India, overflowing with poverty and people.

Decidedly delta for sure.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    India, overflowing with poverty and people.

Decidedly delta for sure.
    lol why is that Delta?
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    lol why is that Delta?
    Yah I'm being cynical. Nah, they aren't as bad as India, they have those SLIs and LSEs to help out with the laundry I guess and IEEs and EIIs to talk about passion and romance and ideals. India doesn't have that.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah I'm being cynical. Nah, they aren't as bad as India, they have those SLIs and LSEs to help out with the laundry I guess and IEEs and EIIs to talk about passion and romance and ideals. India doesn't have that.
    Glad we cleared that up. Don't want to pin the awfulness of India on just one quadra.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um why do you hate India. And it's LSE Brits who took over for 200 years. India should be the opposing quadra then.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*scratches head in disbelief*

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, even Indians think modern India is pretty awful (<- read the comments). I say this as someone with Bengali blood: I could never live in an Indian city for more than a few months. (The countryside I might be able to tolerate, though.)

That said, I still think the Indians have some of the coolest and craziest deities and mythologies ever.

'Tis sad what has become of the world's originary cultural hubs (Mesopotamia, Greece, and India). All superpowers decline. WE'RE NEXT, AMERICA!!!

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[immature giggling] "Smartaism (worship of all deities without distinction)" sounds like Smartass.[/giggling]

Cool informative post, thank you.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    No kidding. One of my clients is from India and has been in the states for about 7 years. When I asked her if she missed it she just looked at me with a weary face and said "it's ok when I visit family for a short time, but no, I can't live there!"

Regardless, I'd still love to visit India one day because I find the history to be fascinating. I also find Hinduism to be very interesting because of all the complexity. When I was younger I wound spend hours reading stories about Hindu gods.
    Yep, that's how a lot of Indians who left India feel about the country. My mom hasn't seen most of her brothers and sisters for twenty years, which I think is crazy. I asked her if she would ever visit to see her family again, but she says she doesn't have the constitution to handle India anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    [immature giggling] "Smartaism (worship of all deities without distinction)" sounds like Smartass.[/giggling]

Cool informative post, thank you.
    LOL I didn't even notice that. It's true.