NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Video Discussions

DISCUSSION HISTORY

TOPIC #1

What does Socionics do for you? Talk about the certain aspects of Socionics you find the most interesting and/or useful. Also add in what you'd like to learn more about or what particular lessons you'd like to share.

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    TOPIC QUESTIONS ROUND 1

1. What qualities or parts of Socionics drew you to study it? If you left MBTI for Socionics, describe the experience and why you did the switch.

2. What is the toughest part about learning Socionics? Are you better at this now?

3. Are there "lessons," or mistakes, that you made that would prove helpful to beginners to know about?

4. What do you think Socionics needs to become a more solid hypothesis? Can you see Socionics being as widespread as MBTI in the West?
    TOPIC QUESTIONS ROUND 2

1. How would you describe the way you type? Do you think there should be a standardized way to type?

2. What difficulties make Socionics hard to teach? What is the best way you found to teach Socionics, or, what would make teaching Socionics easier?

3. Since learning Socionics, how has knowledge of Quadra values help you in your offline experiences?

4. What games/exercises/topics have you encountered or thought up that would be good for viewing information elements on video or at meet-ups?

5. How easily does Socionics' intertype relations work out for analyzing your relationships? What is your stance on the thought of people believing they can predict the dynamics of your relationships based just on your type?

6. Do you think types type differently? What specific traits common to your type help/hinder the typing process?

7. What are your thoughts about ascertaining someone's type based on "vibes" or general intuition? How easily do you assign value to qualitative and subjective data relevant to type/Socionics?

8. How flexible is Socionics, or how flexible should it be? When can we be too rigid, and when is flexibility inappropriate?

9. Boxes. Do you likes them?

TOPIC QUESTIONS ROUND 3

1. Is there an area of Socionics the forum should focus on building up more of an understanding of? Or does the general active population need an overall brush up on Socionics?

2. Do you think the Wikisocion is a good resource for learning Socionics? What about the Wikisocion could be improved?

3. What details need to be ironed out to make Socionics more testable? How do you imagine Socionics being tested?

4. Have any suggestions to improve the Video Discussions?

TOPIC #2

Tell us about you! Use these topics to show how you're unique as a person and share facts other forums might not know!

TOPIC QUESTION ROUND 1

What's in your bookshelf? What are your favorites, and what do they say about your interests? If you're not an avid reader, share your movies, video games, any collection that reflects a little bit of who you are.

Original Post:
    Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky
    I originally posed this idea in my video that I posted in the VI section of the forum, but I didn't really get as much response as I wanted to, so I wanted to bring this up in the general section in case it was the placement of the thread that affected its visibility. I was talking about how I thought the best way to type someone on the forum might be through the video medium, and maybe if we can start to gain a good consensus on certain forum members' type from the videos, we could assemble some sort of gallery or collection of sorts that we can refer members in general to observe certain types or information elements/functions being used.

We could possibly pose questions in a form of a thread and have members record video responses to these questions, focused on identifying what information element is being used in what function. I figure they would be a more "hands-on" experience for the forum, since the only other way would be to host something on Stickam, or actually meet-up, both being rather hard to set up.

I don't really see anything inherently wrong with this idea, unless there's just no interest for it, but I know there might be details I'm overlooking. Like, how to decide if someone is "fit" to model, or if it should be limited to responses from community members that the community widely agrees on a typing or not. I'm hoping that this might catch the interest of other people and can bounce ideas to make this a realistic and plausible idea to actually put into action, so definitely share your thoughts about this, especially if you have the means to make videos
    Last edited by Mattie; 06-29-2009 at 02:33 AM.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are generall shy about these things. They often are uncomfortable and unsure of what to say on camera. Maybe it would help if some sort of questionnaire was developed and forum users were to make videos answering those questions. Similar to the "5 facts" trend on YouTube, though I don't think we should do the 5 facts because it's gay.

Just a suggestion.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, makes sense, there could be, possibly, a broad general question/topic that people can talk about, and for those who find they don't improv that well on camera can be provided a set of topic questions instead to answer, while those who are fine without questions can view them as optional. Is this something like how you meant?

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, makes sense, there could be, possibly, a broad general question/topic that people can talk about, and for those who find they don't improv that well on camera can be provided a set of topic questions instead to answer, while those who are fine without questions can view them as optional. Is this something like how you meant?
    Basically, yes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea, look.to.the.sky. I'm down with it.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-bg

it's a great idea, but just fyi... there's at least one other thread somewhere in here where people did exactly this. I think it was a year or two ago. Maybe Baby made it? (maybe somebody else?)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I like this. A better outlet to berate people through Seriously though, it could potentially eliminate a lot of non-sensical banter currently termed 'debates' and generate a common ground to work from.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see interest I'll try looking for the thread BG, I'm hoping that it'll be more than one topic and be kind of a whole community thing rather than an isolated experiment within a thread. If anyone remembers this thread I'd like to look into, the only one I know about videos is the "Post Videos Of Yourself Thread" or something to that affect. It would be nice to see if there were already problems encountered and the such. We'd also want to identify what exactly we want to get out of this project of sorts... Maybe we can do an icebreaker type thing at first to get everyone comfortable with speaking and have a discussion group type vibe? Anyone else with perspective/ideas?

ETA: Here's the thread with my video in it introducing myself and purposing the idea: look to my video

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a great idea. Let's do it!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I think it's a great idea. Let's do it!
    Yay!

I found the thread that BG mentioned, anyone interested in the past project can find it here: The16Types Video Identification Project. Our aim will be slightly different, but this will be useful to skim through, thanks for the heads up BG I'll look through it tomorrow and see if I can salvage any useful lessons. In the mean time, we can start generating questions or topics for the first round of questions. I'd like to have an open discussion about everyone's views on Socionics, what they like/dislike about it (not necessarily the forum), or just general thoughts. I figured it would generate future topics if we found out what was on all of our minds So we should generate a specific list of questions, narrow them down to about 5 or whatever seems appropriate, and use them as guidelines for videos.

Remember, if you have any ideas or thoughts about this, do comment!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*votes yes*
    Easy Day

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd like to make and post my own video but don't have the equipment to do so.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I went through the beginnings of The16Types Video Identification Project to see if I was just rehashing an old idea, but from the overall methodology of the thread, what I'm purposing is different.

This will be less about VIing someone and more about finding good video examples of types and information elements in functions. This insinuates that we need people with established types backed up by a good enough consensus to be models, and this is true, but this does not exclude those that don't fulfill those criteria. People with multiple typings, or none at all, are still human and therefore will still exhibit the appropriate signs of their type, but their videos won't be useful until their are identified. What makes this fine is that there will most likely be a different wave of typing when it comes to the video medium because it's "more real." But the process of deciding who is "actually" a type is a process that can be discussed later, as I feel like I'm already getting ahead of myself. My mind kinda just turned into a idea storm and I'll end this here until I get more feed back or something solid.

Comments please!

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I'd like to make and post my own video but don't have the equipment to do so.
    I don't want to assume too much about your finances, but a webcam is rather cheap and is what most people use to record. I haven't figured out how to record on Windows Vista yet, but I know on XP you can record through the Movie Maker. There actually might be free programs and other methods, I believe you can record through your Stickam Live as well. This won't be limited to any sort of time frame, so you definitely have time to consider getting one if you notice the project going in a way you like

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did we start yet? I'm pretty excited to get going!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Did we start yet? I'm pretty excited to get going!
    Hmm, well, I guess I don't know when to really press the start button I was hoping on getting some feedback on the types of question and such, and then make an "official" start post to start receiving these videos, but maybe I'll just kick it off myself. Let me think up some good guidelines to go by so we can have an organized way of doing this rather then having a "Ready, set, GO!" approach. I might be over-thinking this and we can easily just play it by ear, so who knows, I was waiting for some sort of signal, but I'll eventually craft up a post.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fwiw I could care less about any formal sort of organization to this, outside of a few obvious, implicit guidelines. If people want to talk, let them talk; start a thread with a random idea and have others respond. Maybe I just find this notion more comfortable than some, I don't know. But there shouldn't have to be a list of questions for people to answer, in order for a substantial discussion to occur. Just don't be an idiot, don't pose nude (if you're ugly), and don't make a video unless it contributes to the discussion.

I'll make one sometime soon, if the ice needs to be broken or whatever.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has more with different comfort levels, and I imagine there are some people who perform better when they have time to think of the subject or specific question to prepare. I don't mind this, as there won't be any flow to this conversation. I'll create a video soon to kick us off then, and get some sample questions. But suggestions are still welcomed

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has more with different comfort levels, and I imagine there are some people who perform better when they have time to think of the subject or specific question to prepare. I don't mind this, as there won't be any flow to this conversation. I'll create a video soon to kick us off then, and get some sample questions. But suggestions are still welcomed
    I see what you're saying, and definitely agree that people have different levels of comfort with stuff. I guess because I don't have any qualms over this kind of presentation (and suspect a few others don't either), the notion of responding to specific questions seems a bit restricting. But, I also wouldn't want others who need that organization to feel stranded in a more haphazard environment. I suppose we should just let those who want to start it do so, and watch its development from there.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I'm more of an improv person and just like to go where my mind takes me, so I'll pose one overall topic that people that don't need questions can bounce off of, and those who appreciate more focus will get some questions they can use in whatever manner they prefer. A little somethin' for everyone

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Okay, I posted a video roughly half an hour ago and it was really awkward and uncomfortable for me, tbh. I feel much more natural on Stickam or in person. It's just easier for me to speak in the moment with other people around than by myself with a video camera. Hah, I'm not sure if I'll do this again. I can't sit around and monologue. I need to react to what others are saying without thinking about it. Blah.
    I really do appreciate your contribution! At least trying was a good step, I'm hoping more people post, and then people will be inspired off of each other. I made a video that will be uploaded by the morning, and there was something in your video that sparked my mind into a certain train of thought... You post was definitely not useless Stickam, honestly, would be the best venue for discussion, and maybe something can be organized for it. It just takes that... organizing. I personally have crappy internet which is why I didn't pursue that, but if you like this idea and think Stickam would work out for you, I say run with it!

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. I think the stickam idea fell through about a year ago.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm starting to get an idea of how to balance out these video discussions to encompass the interests of everyone. After a round or so more of the current discussion, I was thinking of creating a second discussion thread to moderate simultaneously. I don't think I'll make anymore, and if I'm making too many threads, one of you mods just drop a note and I'll work it out. This second one will handle non-Socionics related discussion topics, but will still fall under the goals of the current thread, which will be to find information elements in videos and cultivate a collection for an alternative way of observing aspects of Socionics, including the types themselves. This will be the justification for keeping it in the general Socionics forum.

There are some threads going on that can easily benefit from being on video, here are a couple examples:

Games And Type

Goals in Life

What is you "dual" like?

Or, if we want broader more "get to know you" topics:

Music
    Favorite Cuisines
    Places you have traveled and would like to travel
    A walk in your life for a day
    What current books and/or TV shows you are following and your thoughts on them

And if enough people like this sort of thing, we can get another discussion going on topics like politics, philosophy, etc, for those who's like something to mentally chew on that isn't about Socionics. But that's definitely in the future.

To those who don't really feel the current discussion, are these more along the line of what you'd reply to?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the topics I, personally, would enjoy seeing would be something along the lines of "What books do you have in your personal library?" I'm nosey, I'd love to see what kinds of books people have, which of them they've actually read, which they refer to regularly, what they liked or disliked about them, etc. I think videos of people talking about their books would be more interesting than people just listing topics or titles, because then they can go into a little about the book and their thoughts on the topic/book, etc.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    One of the topics I, personally, would enjoy seeing would be something along the lines of "What books do you have in your personal library?" I'm nosey, I'd love to see what kinds of books people have, which of them they've actually read, which they refer to regularly, what they liked or disliked about them, etc. I think videos of people talking about their books would be more interesting than people just listing topics or titles, because then they can go into a little about the book and their thoughts on the topic/book, etc.
    Good idea! I like that, it's kinda interactive, because you can bring books in a kind of "show and tell" type manner, which you can't really replicate in text. I'll keep this in mind, leave this open until we get through a couple more rounds in the first discussion to give some time to get more suggestions

Creepy-bg

this works for me

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sort of thing could either be mildly entertaining or potentially awkward: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...um-member.html

Except talking about your intertype relations or whatever, whose posts you relate to, feel similar to, etc.?
    I was thinking of things like this, but I thought only I would enjoy this I think I will take the current discussion into this area, it will segue into some more interpersonal analysis. Cool, if you find more stuff like this over the course of time that would be a good community analyzation of sorts, definitely bring it up here

Creepy-bg

This sort of thing could either be mildly entertaining or potentially awkward: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...um-member.html

Except talking about your intertype relations or whatever, whose posts you relate to, feel similar to, etc.?
    I think this is way more suited to posting text.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    this works for me
    I figure certain people might bring up their porn collections, but even that could be entertaining. :wink:

IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I think this is way more suited to posting text.
    Hmm, I do see where the format of a post would be more effective for these types of questions. We'd have to edit it to a single example or so to make it less ramble-y or such.

Creepy-bg

I figure certain people might bring up their porn collections, but even that could be entertaining. :wink:

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, how I would love to offer some real-time social commentary about this place. No other topics thus far have felt interesting, but yeah: giving opinions of forum members, discussing intertype, etc. I think it would be so obvious too, if people actually responded through this medium, i.e. if someone was bullshitting about their type, the fallacy would eventually show through. Even certain relations would be observable, because responding to 'people' doesn't allow as much room to maneuver as text does.

Yeah, fake betas, go ahead and make videos.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who face long upload times, it's possible that you might be uploading video formats that are unnecessarily large for our purposes. I was originally uploading AVI and had about 9 hours to upload on my slow internet. So find a converter to switch it to something smaller and easier for youtube (or whatever else you're using) to upload. I actually just used Windows Movie Maker: imported the video, used the whole thing, or 10 minute segments, as the project, then saved it as a WMV or whatever the default output for it is. Instead I only have about 1-3 hours of uploading. And that's on really slow internet, so if you have an average internet connection, it should be better than that.

I also forgot to mention that I'm open to being contacted on any the messengers I have on my profile for suggestions, comments, or just talking overall So add me on those if you need a more immediate response or would like to talk over IM

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I actually record it with youtube (saves uploading + Photo Booth is unreliable).
    Ah, yes, anyone who is using a webcam can record from Youtube as well, skips all the trouble. I'm doing it from a digital camera since my webcam is poop, but others might find this useful

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I updated the original posts of all the Video Discussions threads to contain all of the questions asks so far, and for easy navigation throughout the thread once it starts to get long. This thread's OP will have a log of all the Topic Questions asked, while the Discussion threads themselves only have the ones asked in them. Look back to these every once in a while and see if you remember something you wanted to say about the topic or a member's video.

Any suggestions on how to make this better are welcomed

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, so it's been a couple days since someone's posted a video, so I thought I'd make a post asking if anyone is still thinking of making videos, or if the project is losing steam? How can this be improved?

I was thinking about starting up talks about the videos we already have, finding and making clips of examples containing information elements, or general great examples of a type. Like if there was a very NeFi-ish quote or action, we'd want to make note of it and hopefully get a clip. So place your suggestions here, we can still pull this all together and figure out a good way to organize this.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Okay, so it's been a couple days since someone's posted a video, so I thought I'd make a post asking if anyone is still thinking of making videos, or if the project is losing steam? How can this be improved?

I was thinking about starting up talks about the videos we already have, finding and making clips of examples containing information elements, or general great examples of a type. Like if there was a very NeFi-ish quote or action, we'd want to make note of it and hopefully get a clip. So place your suggestions here, we can still pull this all together and figure out a good way to organize this.
    I like your idea of sorting videos by information element or type.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP