Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Question

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hypothetical Question

If you could be and personally experience (in the first person sense) the full life of any historical figure, who would it be and why?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    If you could be and personally experience (in the first person sense) the full life of any historical figure, who would it be and why?
    Da Vinci, maybe? Holy crap, think of all the stuff he got to do.

Hmm, I'm sure there are other options too. Maybe Jefferson? Socrates? Jim Henson? Sir Francis Drake? I feel like I'm overlooking someone though.

Note: I don't actually know the full lives of these people, just chunks, so perhaps something utterly horrible that happened to each and I don't really want to be any of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Da Vinci, maybe? Holy crap, think of all the stuff he got to do.

Hmm, I'm sure there are other options too. Maybe Jefferson? Socrates? Jim Henson? Sir Francis Drake? I feel like I'm overlooking someone though.

Note: I don't actually know the full lives of these people, just chunks, so perhaps something utterly horrible that happened to each and I don't really want to be any of these.
    Da Vinci died a virgin. Socrates had to kill himself, and was considered to be very ugly.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Da Vinci died a virgin. Socrates had to kill himself, and was considered to be very ugly.
    All three of those things could end up to be the case for me even in this life, so meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Egyptian Pharaoh Pepi II Neferkare
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casanova

Djingis Khan

Alexander the great

some pharaoh

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of now, my list would consist of the following:
    • Alfred the Great
    • Charles Darwin
    • Aristotle
    • Confucius
    • Muhammad
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abraham Lincoln was the first person who popped into my head.....
    Suomea

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    Abraham Lincoln was the first person who popped into my head.....
    So you just shot off the first thing that came out of your head?
    Johari Box

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A random woman from the medieval period. My major would be so much easier and based on factual evidence .
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh! Definitely an explorer. Marco Polo or Amerigo Vespucci or I don't know, for all I know they had tragic lives, but the idea of discovering and exploring something new and uncharted is so inspiring!
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it wouldnt be new and and uncharted for you! You would just be a big cheat if you did that

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Twain
    Augustus
    Milton Friedman
    Thomas Jefferson
    Charles II of England
    Themistocles
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would want to be someone creative, like Shakespeare. But I wouldn't particularly want to be a man, and women weren't given the opportunities for that kind of thing back then. But otherwise I'll go with Shakespeare.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would I be allowed to alter the actions of said historical person or just repeat everything they did?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Lee Roth (SEE)
    or
    Victor Hugo (ESE)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Mark Twain
    Augustus
    Milton Friedman
    Thomas Jefferson
    Charles II of England
    Themistocles
    Good choice with Jefferson. Charlemagne might be another good choice.

Alfred the Great: The only English monarch with the epitaph "the Great" as well as the first self-styled "King of the Anglo-Saxons." He kept the Anglo-Saxons from being completely conquered by the Danes, which allowed for the gradual emergence of an English nation through his strengthening of Wessex and Mercia. He reorganized the legal system, the military, and encouraged education in his kingdom. He also maintained correspondence with other foreign leaders and officials like the Patriarch of Jerusalem. Not only did he sponsor the development of education, but he he was educated as well and was personally responsible for translating various works into vernacular English.

Charles Darwin: We are talking about probably the world's most revered modern scientist here.

Aristotle: Student of Plato and teacher of Alexander the Great, and whose works would greatly impact the Middle-Eastern and European Middle Ages.

Confucius: The opportunity to see the Warring States period of China while also being the individual who developed China's most influential and enduring philosophies.

Muhammad: He led an interesting life as a merchant turned religious leader with an enormous amount of impact on the world. So the opportunity to actually live his thoughts and experiences, seems too good to pass up.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnte View Post
    Would I be allowed to alter the actions of said historical person or just repeat everything they did?
    You would not be able to alter their actions. You would live their life exactly as they did from birth to death.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muhammad: He led an interesting life as a merchant turned religious leader with an enormous amount of impact on the world. So the opportunity to actually live his thoughts and experiences, seems too good to pass up.
    Good luck dealing with the climate, and hygienic conditions, and intellectual climate, of shithole Arabian villages of the 7th century.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

My selection is entirely of British people. I couldn't really bear to live the life of a religious person (I make an exception with Elizabeth I), and they must have lived a fair amount of time.

Purely hypothetically: Horatio Nelson, Elizabeth I, Bertrand Russell, Mary Shelley, Virginia Woolf, William Wordsworth...

Edit: Peter the Great and Catherine the Great of Russia would be good.
    Last edited by Not A Communist Shill; 08-06-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck dealing with the climate, and hygienic conditions, and intellectual climate, of shithole Arabian villages of the 7th century.
    Yes, but look at the effect of this one man from all of this!
    Johari Box

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would not be able to alter their actions. You would live their life exactly as they did from birth to death.
    Not entirely sure what the point of that would be, but I'd probably choose Hugh Hefner. Just for the poon tang.

Has he influenced history enough to be considered an 'historical figure?'

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnte View Post
    Not entirely sure what the point of that would be, but I'd probably choose Hugh Hefner. Just for the poon tang.

Has he influenced history enough to be considered an 'historical figure?'
    The point is that you get a 1st person perspective of the entire life of a historical figure. You would get to know what exactly they were thinking when they discovered, wrote, or performed some action and get to share in the novelty of the experience with them.
    Johari Box

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew Carnegie was the first person I thought of. I'd have to think about it some more (and definitely research the family life of each person who came to mind) to come up with an actual list though.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you just shot off the first thing that came out of your head?
    Lincoln was the first one who popped into my head too. then i thought washington.

lol at hugh hefner

i've never cared for history much. i'm with mimosa and i look toward the future.

think, think, think, said pooh bear, as he tapped his head....it would have to be an artist...Salavdor Dali or Monet is my favorite...

Monet it is. to build that garden...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I imagine living the life of a famous historical figure, the idea of living without modern conveniences (such as indoor plumbing) always comes to mind. I'm sure they thought nothing of it though, not knowing what they were missing.

I guess one thing that stands out about my first reply in this topic is that accomplishment means nothing to me if I don't have a (reasonably happy and healthy) family. No accomplishment is so great that I would consider living my entire life without a family in order to see its achievement.
    SEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Whenever I imagine living the life of a famous historical figure, the idea of living without modern conveniences (such as indoor plumbing) always comes to mind. I'm sure they thought nothing of it though, not knowing what they were missing.

I guess one thing that stands out about my first reply in this topic is that accomplishment means nothing to me if I don't have a (reasonably happy and healthy) family. No accomplishment is so great that I would consider living my entire life without a family in order to see its achievement.
    to me, those are things that go without having to be said... ditto

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at it from another perspective though... If I had to choose between living in a communist society (with no opportunity to leave) and not having a family, I'd take not having a family.

As I try to think of other possibilities, it has crossed my mind that pretty much everything I'm looking for in a historical figure can be summed up by the family concept I mentioned (but that's just a given, as Kelly Jo said) as well as a combination of the indigo and green descriptions in the links in my sig. Wouldn't want one without the other.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed!
    SEE

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last person in my group of friends to throw me a curveball.....information I could actually utilise to an end, plus I could totally use it to mess with said person if they started me again! Yes I am full of vengeance right now, but it'll pass <2
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Franz Liszt, because he had amazing technique as a pianist and his compositions are out of this world. Though apparently he was a ladies man, so that might be a bit awkward.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    The last person in my group of friends to throw me a curveball.....information I could actually utilise to an end, plus I could totally use it to mess with said person if they started me again! Yes I am full of vengeance right now, but it'll pass <2
    That is not exactly a historical figure, much less one who has been dead.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elaborating --

Mark Twain: lived to a healthy old age. Made a successful living out of writing. Traveled through the world, and the US, in a fascinating historical period. A genuinely good man in my opinion.

Augustus: pretty much a fulfilling life for a LIE (excepting the disappointments with some family members). Very interesting and busy and rewarding life from the age of 19 on. Chance to apply Te on large scale, run circles around enemies with Ni, fulfillment of Fi (his wife and life-long friends) and Se. Again, saw a large part of the then known world, including the fading Egypt. Lived in a remarkable period in history. Had the opportunity to bring some Te sense into the world.

Milton Friedman: a long, healthy life, making a living of exposing idiocy and finally seeing it fade away.

Thomas Jefferson: lived in, and helped to shape, another remarkable period in history. Wide range of subjects of interest, and spent a lot of time thinking and reading and inventing. I would have taken better care of my finances, though.

Charles II of England: apart from his final illness, probably a fun and interesting life throughout, including (or especially because) his wanderings in exile. Satisfaction in seeing the end of the Taliban-like cultural darkness of the Cromwell era and the relief of the Restoration. Another fascinating period in terms of scientific discoveries, which he at least tried to encourage, and never suppressed.

Themistocles: probably one of the cleverest and most cunning men who ever existed, who again led an exciting life in an interesting period.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Disregarding the possibility of his being a myth, I would say Adam.
    I'm no myth, but why would you want to be me?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also like to maybe live the life of the Biblical Ezekiel, who trained in the Judah priesthood (which would make my career path easier), experienced the defeat of Jerusalem, was a part of the Babylonian exile, and was alive for (though not there) when Jerusalem was sacked. Of course, there is no indication as to how he died, so I have no idea how unpleasant some of his experiences may have been.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also like to maybe live the life of the Biblical Ezekiel, who trained in the Judah priesthood (which would make my career path easier), experienced the defeat of Jerusalem, was a part of the Babylonian exile, and was alive for (though not there) when Jerusalem was sacked. Of course, there is no indication as to how he died, so I have no idea how unpleasant some of his experiences may have been.
    Wasn't he the one who had very bizarre visions?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't he the one who had very bizarre visions?
    Yes. Bizarre, but highly symbolic imagery. Some scholars, and those doctors who have nothing better to do than spend their time diagnosing dead historical figures, believe that Ezekiel may have been epileptic. But as there are a significant amount of disputes regarding the dating of texts (usually split between pre- and post-exilic texts), living the life of someone in that exilic period would be phenomenal. Then I could find out what texts were available, their present structure, as well as possible links that may exist between other texts. For example, there are many links between the Book of Ezekiel and the legal ethics literature of the Holiness Code (Lev 17-26), so there is a good deal of debate as to whether H was shaped by Ezk, Ezk was affected by H, or if Ezk and H both drew their inspiration from a priestly Proto-H source.
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Bizarre, but highly symbolic imagery. Some scholars, and those doctors who have nothing better to do than spend their time diagnosing dead historical figures, believe that Ezekiel may have been epileptic. But as there are a significant amount of disputes regarding the dating of texts (usually split between pre- and post-exilic texts), living the life of someone in that exilic period would be phenomenal. Then I could find out what texts were available, their present structure, as well as possible links that may exist between other texts. For example, there are many links between the Book of Ezekiel and the legal ethics literature of the Holiness Code (Lev 17-26), so there is a good deal of debate as to whether H was shaped by Ezk, Ezk was affected by H, or if Ezk and H both drew their inspiration from a priestly Proto-H source.
    temporal lobe seizures, perhaps. regardless, the book of ezekiel is fascinating. chapter 16, in particular, which i can recite for you if you like.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa View Post
    temporal lobe seizures, perhaps. regardless, the book of ezekiel is fascinating. chapter 16, in particular, which i can recite for you if you like.
    Recite from memory? If so, that is an impressive feat.
    Johari Box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast