Thread: Ni egos are amazing

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Ni egos are amazing

when i was a kid i did things that other kids in my economic position didn't do like trips to museums and plays and local cultural events. i dunno how my iei mom got the money, maybe she got tickets through public assistance programs, but the investment she wanted to make in her kids was one of mind and spirit and she had the wisdom to see that through.

when i was in college i wrote a poem for my iei friend i was platonically infatuated with. i don't remember the whole thing, but i remember trying to capture some kind of invisible but tangible quality that came off her and there was a line about some kind of magic "twinkling off batted eyelashes and manifesting in gestures of her hands" and i think if i had the language at that time i could less gracefully but still pretty accurately describe that magic as her Ni. she described our meeting as serendipity and made me collages and mix tapes that seemed to accidentally and casually capture the emotional undercurrents in my life better than i could ever explain them to her in plain words.

yeah, yeah, i said magic. maybe Ni isn't magic or it gets dumb associations made with it or whatever but it often feels like magic to me. deal with it.

it was gamma nts here on the forum who were able to get through to me the concept of socionics being a map and not the territory and guided me through not reifying the elements which was revolutionary and helped me understand a way of thinking when it came to lots of things and not just socionics. opened a door of perception, lol. i wonder if any more doors will be opened in my life.

i hope my thread about shady ni egos didn't rub too many Ni folks the wrong way. i was using the forum as a sounding board (or a punching bag) for my issues and i didn't give enough thought to how it might make people feel.

to add some color here is an emo fucking song that is to me like a straight shot of Ni (this is kind of becoming an iei appreciation thread but thats just most of my experience i guess)

(dunno about the quality since i'm on my phone and not gonna watch it but it can be fixed later if needed)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics bipolarism?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Socionics bipolarism?
    correction.
    (and penance)

and just truth.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@InvisibleJim i was reminded of that link the other day when i was writing about the door of perception in the op. how there are colors people can't see.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't put out by your "shady" thread, because I think the very thing that makes Ni ego people seem so supportive in bringing a big picture replete with a nod to "mystery" (i.e., there is some stuff that is beyond our ken and we need it to be whole and we can just grasp at it before it wriggles away again and again and that is okay and the way it's meant to be and maybe it's even kind of awesome and better than spearing it like meat on a kabob) also can be threatening. Even I can find it threatening or find myself divided, i.e., currently it feels a lot safer to be cynical than to be open, even if I know that I am cordoning off a whole giant glob of my awareness, knowledge, and experience.

I may not need balancing from other people with Ni ego, but I do appreciate how comfortable they make me with acknowledging the Big Stuff without even having to overtly acknowledge it.
    Last edited by golden; 04-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ni egos are still shady.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't meant as a contrast to your appreciation thread, just sharing my own perspective as an Ne type. Often Ni types seem to me to state the obvious truth (or lack thereof) in a convoluted way, for a purpose, as not to reach an objective point in their understanding but to gain grounds for possibilities and new perspectives for their own interests. They build their understanding of them like webs reaching in different directions, so they can feel more confident in whatever they're talking about. So there's a + and a -. Usually I find their topics pretty clear and simple, but I can see how it refreshes their mind and the minds of any sensing type. It brings raw sources into fluctuation so it has a true originality unlike Ne (like all introverted functions.) It even gets me thinking.

Ime Ne is more about obtaining the hidden truth/essence in philosophies and other contexts, without requiring a literal knowledge (as all extroverted functions do), so I find it much more useful and interesting. Really it builds from its own philosophy for where truth can best be appreciated (again a trait of extroversion.) Ne isn't a typically insightful function because it's not about localizing our knowledge, but rather taking our knowledge to a greater level, aiming for the original idea rather than starting with it. Ni doesn't understand this process of thinking very well at all, in fact this intuition to them is unrealistic because it doesn't really answer their own problems. Of course I'm sure Ni valuers think Ne is about localizing and Ni is about reaching a new level, as I'm sure it does for them in an opposite way, but the result is very local for me and the conclusions they reach are obvious, albeit useful in general.

Overall point: Ni works for Ni quadras, Ne works better for Ne quadras. So let my natural criticism be momentary and your appreciation further.

Here are some pictures:

Ne

Ni: "What is this mess of a vision?"

Ni

Ne: "These paths are mixed up..."
    Last edited by 717495; 04-11-2013 at 05:03 PM.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Ni egos are still shady.

Let's compromise.

Ni egos are both shadily amazing and amazingly shady.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 717495 View Post
    This isn't meant as a contrast to your appreciation thread, just sharing my own perspective as an Ne type. Often Ni types seem to me to state the obvious truth (or lack thereof) in a convoluted way, for a purpose, as not to reach an objective point in their understanding but to gain grounds for possibilities and new perspectives for their own interests. They build their understanding of them like webs reaching in different directions, so they can feel more confident in whatever they're talking about. So there's a + and a -. Usually I find their topics pretty clear and simple, but I can see how it refreshes their mind and the minds of any sensing type. It brings raw sources into fluctuation so it has a true originality unlike Ne (like all introverted functions.) It even gets me thinking.

Ime Ne is more about obtaining the hidden truth/essence in philosophies and other contexts, without requiring a literal knowledge (as all extroverted functions do), so I find it much more useful and interesting. Really it builds from its own philosophy for where truth can best be appreciated (again a trait of extroversion.) Ne isn't a typically insightful function because it's not about localizing our knowledge, but rather taking our knowledge to a greater level, aiming for the original idea rather than starting with it. Ni doesn't understand this process of thinking very well at all, in fact this intuition to them is unrealistic because it doesn't really answer their own problems. Of course I'm sure Ni valuers think Ne is about localizing and Ni is about reaching a new level, as I'm sure it does for them in an opposite way, but the result is very local for me and the conclusions they reach are obvious, albeit useful in general.

Overall point: Ni works for Ni quadras, Ne works better for Ne quadras. So let my natural criticism be momentary and your appreciation further.

Here are some pictures:

Ne

Ni: "What is this mess of a vision?"

Ni

Ne: "These paths are mixed up..."
    This is so patronizing and biased. I hope you don't expect me to learn anything from it.

You should realize that every type "uses" every function. You stonewall Ni, and act like you don't use it... you do. A Ne type has Ni in the id block. Ni here is information welling up from the unconscious into consciousness. So an alternate subjective perspective you didn't consider which you then become aware of... thats your usage of Ni.

Your psychological disposition of disregarding Ni, basically promoting your subjective viewpoint over others... while making these considerations, this is ironically your own usage of Ni in the id block.

'Ne is about obtaining the truth without requiring a literal knowledge.' Ne is speculating for potential literal knowledge... It doesn't form a conclusion on truthfulness.. that's the judging functions. It's used in tandem with the judging functions. Ni is speculating for possibilities of alternate subjective states. Both of them are about expanding the sense perceptions. Expanding the sense perceptions is a visceral perceptive experience. But every sense perception is judged to be "true" in itself. Truth or falseness is really another matter.
    Last edited by rat1; 04-11-2013 at 08:12 PM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't find this attitude much sensical, Ni egos are shady, Ni egos are amazing, blah blah blah. What about a bit more detachment and just a description of their interactions with someone with a personality similar to yours? Isn't their shadiness just a manifestation of the excessive amazement/trust towards what could very well be complete bullshit from the side of the Ni ego, with a consequent sudden "bust"?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I still don't find this attitude much sensical, Ni egos are shady, Ni egos are amazing, blah blah blah. What about a bit more detachment and just a description of their interactions with someone with a personality similar to yours?
    that would be boring to write.

Isn't their shadiness just a manifestation of the excessive amazement/trust towards what could very well be complete bullshit from the side of the Ni ego, with a consequent sudden "bust"?
    haha, probably. but you could just say thanks.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, lungs. my self-esteem is boosted now.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol thank you for humoring me

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

a bit of Saturday afternoon self-fellatio for you:

"wise", "good head on shoulders" , and "Intelligent" are compliments people give me often. I hear them often enough (just like my weaknesses) to know they are pretty objectively true. So I have thought a bit today what makes me this type of person with these particular strengths.

When I have a negative experience of a situation, its like my brain subconsciously picks up how to do it.... easier, or better, with as less emotional strain as possible. I really just want to be happy. It's not wise, as I learned today , to say this in front of family members- who don't really care if you are happy or not. In fact it's horrible to mention this, because being happy all the time can quickly descend into oprah-isms/psychopathy. I remember when you said earlier ni-egos are manipulative. now we're amazing.

I kinda get that most people, want to see me as this gimp weak thing that is trolled by everything in life, tormented and in pain, constantly emo, whiny, pathetic, helpless, copdependent, psychopathically independent yet the same type neurotically co-dependent... and in such insecure swinging back and forth, and the victim of all sorts of consumerisms. because how else would you feel sorry for me? Happiness feels like something nobody gets to earn. It's only human to grudge against all the crap you don't wanna grudge against for the 2532th time. *sigh*

Anyways how I would describe them, my Ni-egoisms: is simply foresight. I don't really need to wade around in sewer smells to know that it stinks, I don't really need to have a lot of experience to understand the gist of a situation. Of course, the technicalities will always troll me. I get the idea of a situation way before it really happens... a sixth sense I guess. It was like this earlier when I had a nightmare and then I heard something fall off the table IRL. I also remember last winter, knowing something bad was gonna happen, just knowing it... and my mom fell down on the ice and broke her wrist.

and well what's the balance to this. I guess maybe it's diving head first into the armpit of your favorite lover, trying to enjoy the nuances and physicalities of life or something because when you understand the big picture so well, life can seem pretty jaded. I also will sometimes make these comments that other people find incredibly deep or interesting but I'm judging them as shallow or superficial. It's like being unaware of your own depth at times. I guess @dolphin was right, a ni-ego really just needs.... somebody to come up and fuck them, or whatever she said in that one thread a few days ago. I climbed the higher esoteric truths of life, @lungs ... and I still want you to troll me with smelly vagina pics.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought you stopped self-typing BnD and declared Socionics not worth it. Good to know.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maths ≠ logic

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

don't encourage him.