Thread: Do any SLIs or SEIs relate? INFp being noise sensitive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do any SLIs or SEIs relate? INFp being noise sensitive.

I know that I, as an INFp, am incredibly noise sensitive (and am currently stewing because of the loud construction going on outside). Whenever I hear a crash, a bang, or even a faint and unexpected whimper, my internal synchrony is disrupted and I flip out. I can't handle prolonged noises or disruptions in my surroundings, and I'm easily startled. Do any of you relate to this, or do you think this is an example of weak ?
    INFp, Intuitive subtype, Enneagram 6w5
    Back in school and on semi-permanent hiatus from the forum

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not an isxp, so take this for whatever it's worth...

i am extremely noise sensitive, particularly at night. If I don't have a fan going (for white noise) I don't get any sleep due to even minor noises such as my daughter turning in her bed at the opposite end of the house! or the dog walking on the carpet to another favorite spot of hers. Living in an apartment complex was a virtual nightmare. I don't have the ability to tune it out, either.

My brother, INFp, however, has the ability to tune out the noises in his environment.
    He also has a far better ability for distinguishing tones etc....in other words he's better at music than I am because I don't catch the minor differences in notes, etc.

My daughter, ESFp, freaks out (panics) when the dog barks, or a door shuts suddenly, or something falls. She also hates when she's trying to focus on something and people are talking to her....she'll go into a full blown fit over those. Like me, she doesn't have the ability to tune out noises, noises distract her a little more than me, and she lacks the ability to catch the subtleties of tones.

Richard, ISFp, ...noises don't bother him. He can sleep right through them, continue doing what he was doing despite the noises, does not have any hearing issues. I'm not sure if he catches tone differences or not. These kinds of things seem like no big deal to him. Like, the INFp bro loves listening to certain kinds of musics because of the ranging and patterns in the notes, but Richard...seems like...he couldn't really care all that much. He just doesn't seem to give hearing nor noises too much attention.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that my husband, ISTp, is pretty noise sensitive.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too and I'm some kind of chocolate bunny.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex
    Me too and I'm some kind of chocolate bunny.
    I thought you were mexican

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sensitive to noises too, and I feel most irritated when I least expected it eg. a door which shuts suddenly. I also cringed easily over irritating noises such as nails screeching against the wall. Moreover, when I had something in mind which I wanted to tell somebody and another person interrupted my thoughts by talking to me, I would forget what I had wanted to say.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been overly sensitive to everything. It can be quite a curse.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes an istp girlfriend i know, can stand noises. she complains about it a lot.

she likes silentness.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know an EII which would play loud music from her bedroom and then go in the shower expecting to hear it. She can't hear it because she's in the shower, I know she can't hear it, she knows she can't hear it but she still does it.

She walks out of a room and shouts expecting us to hear her. We can't fucking hear her because her back is turned and she's down stairs in the kitchen, also she didn't even have to shout. It would have been quicker and more effective if she just faced us and said at a normal voice level what she was talking about.

She is sensitive to smells, very sensitive to smells. Even to smells that don't exist, even to smells which only exist for a short amount of time for a known reason and will go away. Whenever she smells something she doesn't like expect an extremely annoying, loud, over the top, meaningless, pointless, ineffective whinge.

That's my impression of a kind of weak .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be close friends with and ISTP who was quite sensitive to everything. I felt kind of sad for him because he could harldy fully enjoy life. We would go out to eat a lot and the food was never quite right. Even if he cooked himself he'd complain he didnt get something right. I dont think he was as miserable as he let on though. Sometimes when he wouldnt complain Id ask him how something was and he'd say 'fine'. So I think he was more inclined to talk about what was not right as opposed to what was right or satisfactory. But yeah, sounds, smells, taste, touch all were hypersensitive. He was even emotionally sensitive (though he'd never let on that he cared about anything in an emotional way)

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel his pain, heh. So obviously this would be type related? I've always been overly sensitive to every sort of thing imaginable...sometimes wondering if something were wrong with me. Extremely emotionally sensitive too...makes life quite tough. Other things that people can brush off stay with me for a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jessica agreed totally... someone burns you once you kinda remember. You might forgive once but after that its like what the fuck...

Thats why a lot of istps I know have said ' i hate people '

our memories are too good with that shit
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISXps: are any of you noise sensitive?

Quote Originally Posted by uninspired
    Do any of you relate to this, or do you think this is an example of weak ?
    Yes, and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129
    I feel his pain, heh. So obviously this would be type related? I've always been overly sensitive to every sort of thing imaginable...sometimes wondering if something were wrong with me. Extremely emotionally sensitive too...makes life quite tough. Other things that people can brush off stay with me for a long time.
    That's more because of weak Fi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IcEPiCk
    jessica agreed totally... someone burns you once you kinda remember. You might forgive once but after that its like what the fuck...

I think all introverts have this problem of getting over things. They internalize it and it goes round and round and round and makes a home for itself and puts up curtains and buys furniture. Also I noticed that introverts tend to get sick more often and stay sicker for longer periods of time. I actually dont believe they are as sick as they say. I think its more of a retreat from outside pressures.

Topaz

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Quote Originally Posted by IcEPiCk

I think all introverts have this problem of getting over things. They internalize it and it goes round and round and round and makes a home for itself and puts up curtains and buys furniture. Also I noticed that introverts tend to get sick more often and stay sicker for longer periods of time. I actually dont believe they are as sick as they say. I think its more of a retreat from outside pressures.
    Yeah it's an excuse not to be bothered by us
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

Im pretty noise sensitive, like people banging doors and things, particularly when the loud noise could have been avoided, its like....arrrgggg, and I think they must be looking for attention or something
    Oh, and im pretty sensitive emotionally too, it kinda sucks, can really make life hard sometimes, I tend to take things harder than most others seem to
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awww not.
    {♠x<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸IcEPiCk¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>x♠ }

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This can be affected by medications. It can also be affected strongly by salicylates. Salicylates occur in aspirin, and also in a large number of fruits and vegetables. So if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, your hearing will temporarily change until the salicylates have gotten out of your system. It can also be triggered by substances that you get on your skin, but that's another long and complicated subject that I don't feel like getting into. My hearing sensitivity changes noticeably when I've been eating salicylates.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nico1e's favorite hobby is bumping old threads at the16types.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This happens whenever I feel a sort of boredom or stagnation, from seeing all the same recent threads over and over again. I look into the old threads to see something new, oddly enough. It's caused by boredom and unhappiness in general.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tip: Find other things to do.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    i'm not an isxp, so take this for whatever it's worth...

i am extremely noise sensitive, particularly at night. If I don't have a fan going (for white noise) I don't get any sleep due to even minor noises such as my daughter turning in her bed at the opposite end of the house! or the dog walking on the carpet to another favorite spot of hers. Living in an apartment complex was a virtual nightmare. I don't have the ability to tune it out, either.

DITTO. I sleep with a fan on all year round. For the same reasons.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post

DITTO. I sleep with a fan on all year round. For the same reasons.
    LOL. ENFp's. You guys crack me up sometimes.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    LOL. ENFp's. You guys crack me up sometimes.
    In regards to what?
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

They have selective noise sensitivity; with my father, any enjoyable TV show will be played very loud, but at the off chance that a child will play outside with a thumping ball, bouncing it off hard concrete ground, is very disturbing.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to what?
    Many many things. Here, have a snuggie.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi, conflictor. I'm noise-sensitive too, so it must not be type-related.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    itsp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike sudden and repetitive noises of all sorts, though I can sort of switch it "off" in my mind and ignore it as background noise. NTR I think, or minor connection to Si.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not SxI, but... I'm a bit sensitive. Loud, high noises are painful to me. I think that's revenge for my childhood. Also, I cannot sleep if music is going. The blame rests with my stepfather, given that I could always sleep with a radio on before he pointed out that it wouldn't let me rest as well; since then, I've had that problem. I can sleep during praise and worship practice, though.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I can sleep during praise and worship practice, though.
    Who wouldn't.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InkStrider View Post
    Who wouldn't.
    Hah...

It could have to do with the atmosphere. Really peaceful and all.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like noise..come at me bro

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in a warehouse setting and when I first started there, the cacophony of the building wide conveyor system and a billion industrial fans used to bother me before I got used to it. One thing I've never gotten accustomed to is the buzzers that sound when belts are being restarted. It's so loud if you're near them that it almost hurts. Not sure if it's a typical response but whenever it goes off right overhead, oh man, I get pissed about it. That's seriously something that can pretty much single handedly ruin my day for a while.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Hi, conflictor. I'm noise-sensitive too, so it must not be type-related.
    One case doesn't make a good case. There still might be correlation to it.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I work in a warehouse setting and when I first started there, the cacophony of the building wide conveyor system and a billion industrial fans used to bother me before I got used to it. One thing I've never gotten accustomed to is the buzzers that sound when belts are being restarted. It's so loud if you're near them that it almost hurts. Not sure if it's a typical response but whenever it goes off right overhead, oh man, I get pissed about it. That's seriously something that can pretty much single handedly ruin my day for a while.
    the last guy who got used to that belt alarm...