Thread: Predicting what's coming up in a movie

Creepy-

Default Predicting what's coming up in a movie

Is this type-related, or is it just an annoying [imo] quirk?

My dad [LSI] has always done this: when watching a movie or tv show, he will always "predict" what's coming up [he especially seems to get a kick out of it when it's something he alone has seen before]. He doesn't care at all that it annoys my mom, brother, and me immensely; he seems to really be proud of himself Ni-HA?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad [ESTp] takes a bit of pride (in a mocking sort of fashion) when something is too predictable and he calls it before it happens. As if to say "Look how stupid this is, so unbelievably predictable. What did I tell you? See? I called it!"

I mean, I don't see anything wrong with trying to anticipate things mentally (because I do that myself), but I do agree that it is rather annoying when someone sort of ruins the ambiance by trying to guess out loud what's going to happen.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    My dad [ESTp] takes a bit of pride (in a mocking sort of fashion) when something is too predictable and he calls it before it happens. As if to say "Look how stupid this is, so unbelievably predictable. What did I tell you? See? I called it!"

I mean, I don't see anything wrong with trying to anticipate things mentally (because I do that myself), but I do agree that it is rather annoying when someone sort of ruins the ambiance by trying to guess out loud what's going to happen.
    Yes. He's saying the same things we're thinking already... it's like he wants it to be known that he's figured it out and is one step ahead [or he wants it to seem that way], and half the time he's way off anyway.

Any other input? Ni-seeking people, what say you?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post

This reminds me a lot of my ESFp sister.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it annoying when people do that. Just shut the hell up and let me watch the movie, k? And I rarely even "try" to predict what's going to happen, I enjoy the present moment and watching to see what happens. YEah...
    Last edited by Park; 05-26-2009 at 07:23 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracefully View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Apologies if I removed my thread but I just noticed that it was really detailed, and if my dual do happen to learn socionics, and he googles duality between ISFJ and ENTJ, my link is the second one that comes up. Based on my writing style, he might figure out it was me. Nevertheless, thanks for all the comments. I think I have it semi-figured out.

This is a good example of Introvert Intuition Hidden Agenda, A lot of types would have done the same as she did, but the way it was written and throughout, I feel is an NI agenda, Ni ego types might just have edit it out without put forth such an explanation.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always do that and yes, people get annoyed.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

I never do that and I know an LSI who does it...
    I just enjoy the movie...why some people have to think when watching a movie?...just save your brains for your career and relax!
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    ..just save your brains for your career and relax!
    (c:
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict it very often but I don't say it outloud because I don't want to ruin it for others! Sometimes when we're watching Lost, I'll tell my husband that I know what's going to happen. but I never tell him what exactly

eta: I'm not sure it's type-related.
    Last edited by redbaron; 06-01-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: adding
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict what's going to happen fairly easily (but I think this is more because Hollywood is really formulaic). I try not to annoy people with that, though. I do lose interest in the movie more quickly when that happens. The more formulaic it is, the more bored I get.

And I rarely even "try" to predict what's going to happen, I enjoy the present moment and watching to see what happens. YEah...
    I'm not even sure I can even do this. I don't obsess over predicting the outcome, but really it's the place my mind naturally jumps to, so even if I am not actively 'thinking' about it, it happens.

The movies I've enjoyed most have been unusual stories that don't have a typical pattern. Then I can focus on what's happening when it happens.
    IEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    I'm not even sure I can even do this. I don't obsess over predicting the outcome, but really it's the place my mind naturally jumps to, so even if I am not actively 'thinking' about it, it happens.
    Haha! Well that's why you're an intuitive type. :wink: ...and my dual. <3

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    The movies I've enjoyed most have been unusual stories that don't have a typical pattern.
    Amen to dat!
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol yeah I'm pretty good at doing this.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My mother will often make predictions based on some sensory cue such as body language, which will pass me by. I'm more likely to make predictions based on an overall pattern or seeing how this movie is similar to another movie I've seen before. I get irritated when people have to make their predictions out loud and voice it with everybody. My mother is guilty of this.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actively try to predict what is going to happen but often I do sort of connect the dots and think to myself "hey I bet this is going to happen" or "I bet that person is going to die soon" or even "that person is the killer." Sometimes I voice these quietly to one friend next to me but I never blurt it out for everyone to hear. I guess I feel proud that I figured it out and I want to tell someone. I've never noticed anyway being annoyed when I do it so I must not be doing it excessively or in an annoying way. I'm not always right though so sometimes I feel dumb when I predict really wrong haha.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what rebaron, tiny_dancer and starfall have said.

I don't "try" to predict movies, but maybe because I've read so much, and especially because I've always wanted to be a writer, I notice patterns in stories very clearly. And Hollywood is soooo fucking formulaic. I am almost (almost) to the point of no longer blaming them: they know what buttons to push, and they're making a product, so they put what sells in the product. Horror movies are probably the best example of this, and I won't watch them at all any more because it's all the same crap over and over again - I'd feel what they're trying to get me to feel moreso by reading Dostoyevsky or Kafka or some of Philip K. Dick's darker stuff.

My LSE (type may not really play a part in this, but I thought I'd mention his likely type) SO can be incredibly critical of things that happen at work, but when it comes to movies, he wants pure entertainment. He laughed all throughout Beta House, which was a movie that was a spinoff of the third sequel of American Pie (which I mention because it sounds so commodified). He can't wait to watch Transformers 2 because it'll be high-tech eye candy. He calls me a movie snob, and I'm trying to follow his example and set aside standards I might apply elsewhere and just get my $9 of "wow, look at that"-ness.

(But even he thought the Wolverine movie was kinda lame ... I was gonna have trouble no matter what 'cause I used to collect comics, and I already knew most of the book version of his origins.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    I agree with what rebaron, tiny_dancer and starfall have said.

I don't "try" to predict movies, but maybe because I've read so much, and especially because I've always wanted to be a writer, I notice patterns in stories very clearly. And Hollywood is soooo fucking formulaic. I am almost (almost) to the point of no longer blaming them: they know what buttons to push, and they're making a product, so they put what sells in the product. Horror movies are probably the best example of this, and I won't watch them at all any more because it's all the same crap over and over again - I'd feel what they're trying to get me to feel moreso by reading Dostoyevsky or Kafka or some of Philip K. Dick's darker stuff.

My LSE (type may not really play a part in this, but I thought I'd mention his likely type) SO can be incredibly critical of things that happen at work, but when it comes to movies, he wants pure entertainment. He laughed all throughout Beta House, which was a movie that was a spinoff of the third sequel of American Pie (which I mention because it sounds so commodified). He can't wait to watch Transformers 2 because it'll be high-tech eye candy. He calls me a movie snob, and I'm trying to follow his example and set aside standards I might apply elsewhere and just get my $9 of "wow, look at that"-ness.

(But even he thought the Wolverine movie was kinda lame ... I was gonna have trouble no matter what 'cause I used to collect comics, and I already knew most of the book version of his origins.)
    PKD

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa I just realized why I don't do this. It's because the prediction even though correct is too intense. I don't like things intense, so I usually just watch it without thinking