Thread: Extraversion and talking to yourself out loud

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Extraversion and talking to yourself out loud

I do this, I think extraverts sometimes talk to themselves as they're working, or solving a problem with themselves. 95% of the time I do it only when I'm alone but it happens sometimes when I'm around others. what can it be related to?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I do this, I think extraverts sometimes talk to themselves as they're working, or solving a problem with themselves. 95% of the time I do it only when I'm alone but it happens sometimes when I'm around others. what can it be related to?
    I'm an ENTj, and I've noticed that I've started doing that a bit, but only when I'm working alone and have been alone for several hours. Also, my ESTj mother does it frequently, but she is deep into Alzheimers.

It probably relates to either an extrovert's need to get "external" stimulii, or it means your brain is melting and you will soon be a vegetable.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

idk i do it too. sometimes i have fullblown debates with myself

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Its just Te. Not necessarily all extroverts. Just extroverted thinking. I do this too. And I read a bunch of SLIs who say they do this too. Te thinks and order the ideas best outloud.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't. Or if I do it is rare. Kind of hard to verbalise new thinking.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

we're talking outloud right? because I don't make a sound but I have a constant ongoing internal dialogue with myself

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm introverted and I talk to not myself but other people.... in my own head. If that makes sense, which it probably doesn't. But it does if you think of it as exactly what you described, but in reverse. Which makes sense as I'm not an extrovert.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Its just Te. Not necessarily all extroverts. Just extroverted thinking. I do this too. And I read a bunch of SLIs who say they do this too. Te thinks and order the ideas best outloud.
    But why would Te need to talk out loud to organize thoughts, I do it to organize better I think, and be more conscious of the here and now, sometimew I find myself drowning in my Ni and that helps me get out.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    we're talking outloud right? because I don't make a sound but I have a constant ongoing internal dialogue with myself
    Yes I meant outloud, but what you mentioned is also interesting, because when I am quiet I'm not really consciously having dialouges with myself, I am just thinking, trying to understand where other people or myself are coming from or why this and that happened and what will happen if I don't do certain things. Sometimes I consciously tell myself that I need to go run because I'm getting fat but it doesn't give me so much will power as much as watching someone else run.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it when it's a complex task. Today at work I did whilst I tackled something unfamiliar, I was really talking myself through the best way to do it as I worked, whilst others were around me. I'm not an extravert.

You could say it's extraverted thinking in the sense that it's 'external thinking', as in I'm constantly thinking of the external in order to optimise what I'm working with to it's optimal function, dynamically.

I suppose working out the structure of logic is best done in the head. Who knows though, maybe it's just a weird habit.

Edit: Weirdly, it's a bit like Robert Downey Jr when he's playing iron man. I kinda think he plays mostly himself. The dialogue of him coming up with solutions, sometimes I wonder if it's as much dialogue for the camera as it Robert Downey Jr (LIE) showing his own trademark way of solving things, which is quite Te.
    Last edited by at sirac son of sirac; 12-27-2017 at 06:38 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    I don't. Or if I do it is rare. Kind of hard to verbalise new thinking.
    Same for me. Multiple confusing thoughts arise, they happen too quickly to catch up on a verbal level. That's why I'm surprisingly quiet IRL, alone or among people unless I get really energetic. It goes into all directions in my mind. It's rather like a brainstorming monologue spoken inside. This! And that! No, this as well! And so on. Very choppy, as speech it would be weird. It works extremely well when writing, however, because I can alter things everywhere at will and randomly. I think I used to talk to myself as a kid but hm... the accounts of my parents reveal it was actually singing, they say I annoyingly resembled a radio that could not be turned off. I think society made me more reserved later on so the radio is now going on and on where nobody sees it.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

But why would Te need to talk out loud to organize thoughts, I do it to organize better I think, and be more conscious of the here and now, sometimew I find myself drowning in my Ni and that helps me get out.
    I don't know why, I just think its because of extroversion, which means the energy must be outside instead of inside as goes with Ti. Extroversion is not just focusing on the outside, I think its also expressing.

I think more efficiently and quickly when I can think out loud. I can't do it with ppl around, though, because I'm an introverted.

Here SLIs about speaking to themselves:

"It's the only way I can solve problems. Also I think I'm hilarious, so talking to myself is a form of entertainment."

"I basically have a one sided conversation with nobody while I drive to work. It's a way for me to vocalize my thoughts and practice cadence and diction, for some reason it seems to make it much easier for me to catch myself making logical errors when trying to express a thought or argument as well."

"All the time, I've learned to internalize it mostly. However, if there's a complex problem that I'm trying to figure out I have to literally hear myself talk it through, something about that helps me retain information a lot easier."

"A lot. It's like thinking out loud."

Its like @Scarper said too.
    Last edited by Hope; 12-28-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yea sounds cool and all. I could also make an argument that it comes from being a sensor, as u not only think the information, but sense it aswel (hear), thus making u think more clear, but thats just me >.>

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    yea sounds cool and all. I could also make an argument that it comes from being a sensor, as u not only think the information, but sense it aswel (hear), thus making u think more clear, but thats just me >.>
    Well now that I think about it it's tied to the extraverted function in general, an Fe type has to bring external life to their feelings to make them 'real'. I don't know what type you are so I can't say how it goes for you. But, if you're LSI, the program of structural logic is brought to the external by force, so LSI are pushy about stuff that's weird to me... Or rather, as if they're ignoring details that are taking place while being detail focused. The system

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it all the time especially while working.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do, actually if I hear my own voice I realize what I'm doing / saying wrong, so thinking out loud is a good way for me to brainstorm with myself and understand what i'm doing wrong.

If I have a trusted sparring partner, ofc it's much better to "talk out loud" with him/her. Hard to find someone that can be trusted with your mistakes, though. Actually two ILI friends are good at that. I feel like they potentially have similar weaknesses, so there isn't much risk in talking to them about my weaknesses.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ok then I must be an SLI or ILI now I always find it easier, literally always, to talk to myself out loud. I can work out logic and ideas through talking it out rather than thinking since if I keep it in my head then I feel it gets sidetracked to something else, like I don't have as good attention span thinking internally.

I don't talk at all much in general, mostly just through my own progression of thoughts. If I am not thinking then usually I also don't have anything to say. Sometimes when people ask something to me which intrigues zero thought and mostly confusion, I just stare at them in silence and give them a look saying "I don't even know what you are saying." And force them to ask it a different way.

Alot of the times I find people answering my own question thoughts right at the same time I am answering them so it helps also with reaffirmation

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it all the time when I'm by myself. Helps to organize my thoughts + I find myself entertaining, so there's that.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I do it every once in awhile when I'm really understimulated at work and haven't been around people in a few days. Usually something like a play by play of what I'm doing or about to do. But it's not characteristic of me.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    I do it all the time especially while working.
    Ok but we don't know your type so how can that information help

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok but we don't know your type so how can that information help
    Because its not type related?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah extroverts are more expressive..

But i know an infp who loves to monologue by herself.. Not in public though.

My estj team lead is expressive as fuck

Like he has reactions over the stupid mails he's receiving..

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Btw, i always talk to myself too specially when i was a teenager..

When i was a teen, my mother would see me talking to myself.. She told me to stop it because people might think I'm crazy

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't talk to myself at all out loud. I'd be more likely to write it down than say it out loud. I kind of hate hearing myself talk tbh and even if I was definitely alone I'd feel stupid.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Because its not type related?
    But that's what I'm investigating here

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew a LII who talked to his computer like it was a person and a LII who talked to math formulas as if they were objects

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Miniature sized angel ****** who sits on my shoulder is real and needs a conversation partner.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    IEI as Pie
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bulletsanddoves View Post
    I'm introverted and I talk to not myself but other people.... in my own head. If that makes sense, which it probably doesn't. But it does if you think of it as exactly what you described, but in reverse. Which makes sense as I'm not an extrovert.
    You too?! I thought I was the only one!

It's useful, helps me get my words and thoughts and feelings in order. But sometimes I forget what was said in real life and what was only imagined.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starrangel View Post
    I have this too. Maybe not the same as you though. Sometimes I just get consoled or comforted by a part of my personality or perhaps a different personality. Yet sometimes it just gives me bad advice in a nice way, and I hope I'll never follow it anyway.

Yet I do actually talk to myself sometimes, especially when I'm alone. (I should probably try meditation and clearing my mind of incessant chatter and random discursive thoughts.) Sometimes I talk or whisper to myself in public too. Yet I'm more likely to do it in public if I feel more stressed or something. I'm usually too self-conscious to talk to myself in public, although in the past I even used to sing in public sometimes. (I hardly ever do that now, especially if people are around.)

TIM
    EII 4w3 Sx/sp
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk aloud to myself all the time, in public (more of a whisper) and a LOT in private.

C-EII-INFj 4w3 Sx/sp 479

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talk aloud to myself constantly when alone or at my parents' house. I had to train myself out of doing it around people like roommates or friends because people will start thinking it's weird. But to me it's calming and helps me flesh out my thoughts.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talking to oneself isn't type related; it's more akin to dreaming or, in this case, daydreaming. I find that the condition increases proportionally to the number of unresolved issues that require private reflection, and or to reductions from the normal amounts of contiguous sleep.
    a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When i have trouble forming a particularly complex system, i tend to verbalize central axioms in order to integrate them proper. I don't consider myself extraverted.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems more correlated with ethics to me.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah I do that, too. Was starting to wonder if anybody else did it.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

me 3 @ star & ouro. ive seen it talked about before on some typology forum, maybe here. I guess its pretty normal.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I talk out loud when alone in private all the time: I talk to specific others, like they are in front of me and like I am trying to explain smthng to them, teach them or convince them of smthng or having a presentation in front of audience. I always thought it came from being an only child lol, because it goes back to childhood. It's like an exercise in speaking more concisely, being convincing and imagining future scenarios with people that may arise. I'd say it's more connected with strong ethics (and to an extent intuition) than anything else. I see myself as pretty solidly ambiverted from non-socionics perspective, and I actually think very extroverted people are less likely to do this.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do this too but they're full-fledged conversations and it happens whenever I'm forced to walk places by myself because my mind is most stimulated while I'm walking (or listening to music) and I can't walk without listening to music because I have the attention span of a spoon I think. last time I tried to walk without music, I literally just went out for a casual stroll around the block but my phone was broken so it was just me and I started making jokes... to myself... in my head, which made me laugh, but it's usually just facial expressions, like me reacting to my thoughts with real emotions. I always chalked it up to me becoming accustomed to interacting with my friends via text so that when I ripped myself away from that outlet, I still had the same frequency of thoughts, but now there was nowhere to put them so I tried to simulate the experience in my head. it's just that it was a miserable experience even if I usually enjoy walking by myself, because I got so used to walking while listening to music, that walking alone wasn't enough to stimulate me, I had to have the music there in order to feel stimulated enough to think clearly, whereas before I was usually just content moving around to stimulate my brain.

it's a general fidgeting problem with me and I used to have a hard time staying seated in school (and it's still hard in university, but at least the classes aren't back to back) so I'd take several "bathroom" breaks throughout the course of a class, the only time I could actually calm down long enough to remain seated was during note-taking sessions where I could channel that physical energy into writing. otherwise I always had itchy feet (metaphorically speaking) and maybe even itchy hands because one thing that always calms me down is doing something with my hands, such as writing or drawing.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasp View Post
    I do this too but they're full-fledged conversations and it happens whenever I'm forced to walk places by myself because my mind is most stimulated while I'm walking (or listening to music) and I can't walk without listening to music because I have the attention span of a spoon I think. last time I tried to walk without music, I literally just went out for a casual stroll around the block but my phone was broken so it was just me and I started making jokes... to myself... in my head, which made me laugh, but it's usually just facial expressions, like me reacting to my thoughts with real emotions. I always chalked it up to me becoming accustomed to interacting with my friends via text so that when I ripped myself away from that outlet, I still had the same frequency of thoughts, but now there was nowhere to put them so I tried to simulate the experience in my head. it's just that it was a miserable experience even if I usually enjoy walking by myself, because I got so used to walking while listening to music, that walking alone wasn't enough to stimulate me, I had to have the music there in order to feel stimulated enough to think clearly, whereas before I was usually just content moving around to stimulate my brain.
    I do this all the time, but I do it even more when I'm listening to music (I always end up mouthing the words and making relevant facial expressions).
    Phobic So/Sp 6w7 3w2 9w1
    Bit of a comic books nerd, bit of a fashion nerd, a lot of a generalized nerd

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't see how it could be related to extroversion. In my family, I'm the only one who doesn't talk to myself. My SEI brother does it the most and my LII brother might do it the second-most; either he or our IEE dad.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast