Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression and /technologysocial media.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Depression and /technologysocial media.

Do you believe that social media/technology are taking its toll on humanity in terms of depression, lack of sociability, and quality of life? And if so, do you think anything is going to happen to stop it? Or have we gone too far and are ultra-reliant on technology to the point of it becoming its own entity that we need more than it needs us?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Some economist or other said we'd be working 15 hour weeks by now...but now people actually willing work longer than they did a few decades ago (when they weren't born).

It may still be possible that robots will save us. I think at the moment, technology has been of great benefit to humanity, and social media has been a net boon to us. There may be downsides but you should consider yourself lucky that you live in this age (or unlucky that you don't live in the future yet).

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enter Laughing View Post
    Some economist or other said we'd be working 15 hour weeks by now...but now people actually willing work longer than they did a few decades ago (when they weren't born).

It may still be possible that robots will save us. I think at the moment, technology has been of great benefit to humanity, and social media has been a net boon to us. There may be downsides but you should consider yourself lucky that you live in this age (or unlucky that you don't live in the future yet).
    The bad part is that I see the future, and how you view your current time period is relevant to your overall happiness. Those living 200 years ago were in their own time, living shorter but maybe even more fulfilling lives. And will robots save us? If technology does not need us then why would it save us? Eventually it will become autonomous or "singularity"...that's the scary part. But I suppose it is inevitable.....or we'll have to fight for our right to exist.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It is perfectly possible for something without needs to be able to save use, particularly if we invented them for that purpose! There is no reason to be pessimistic yet.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is perfectly possible for something without needs to be able to save use, particularly if we invented them for that purpose! There is no reason to be pessimistic yet.
    Yeah, I just get pessimistic when my mood is sour.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I just get pessimistic when my mood is sour.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see the reason why they should?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work at a school and social media/mobile phones do contribute to a lot of the problems students have. If a student is getting bullied or getting shit or whatever at school, they can't just go home at the end of the day and be away from it for a while, it's going to be continued on facebook or over text. Around 25 percent of school aged young people self harm now in my country, facebook is cited by these kids as a big contributing factor in their unhappiness. So in this sense yes. Overall I like social media though, I think the advantages of everyone being connected in this way hasn't been realized yet.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depression, anti-social behavior, and shitty lives all predate the rise of social-media/technology. Modern society is fundamentally based on competition which makes everyone, generally speaking, mutually hostile- alienated, if you will- in spite of the fact that competition is the very same force that is responsible for the concentration of populations and development of social-media. This notion that technology is destroying humanity is nothing new, but exists as a result of competition as well, owing to the historical tendency of technology to make human labor less intensive or altogether redundant. Technology making our lives easier isn't a bad thing in and of itself, because it gives us more time to spend doing things we enjoy and makes goods more abundant and accessible to everyone. However, this material fact is in contradiction with the prevailing social forms of organization, which creates a legal and ideological superstructure that legitimizes private appropriation i.e. competition, in spite of the fact that it is easily possible to end world poverty three times over.

Distribution is mediated through the exchange of monetary values, and since ones value is expressed by the money they make or, what amounts to the same thing, their "assets", we find ourselves suspicious if not outright hostile to technology because it is the very force which daily simplifies the labor process (hence our value to society) and makes any distinction in skill ability completely nil. Our social species has become estranged to itself, not because of technology per-say, but because we measure everything in monetary values, even human beings, (whether we are conscious of this or not) values which fall the more technology makes it so that the common retard can do the exact job you do. Since modern society measures everything by the dollar, the lines between people and mere objects becomes blurred, which explains why some people treat their cars better than they treat other people, or why some people would rather masturbate on the internet rather than going out to a party and try their luck at actually getting laid.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also attention spans something something

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Transkar View Post
    Do you believe that social media/technology are taking its toll on humanity in terms of depression, lack of sociability, and quality of life? And if so, do you think anything is going to happen to stop it? Or have we gone too far and are ultra-reliant on technology to the point of it becoming its own entity that we need more than it needs us?
    read "the shallows"

also black mirror

also EyeSight by sight systems (on youtube)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ainfigur View Post
    I work at a school and social media/mobile phones do contribute to a lot of the problems students have. If a student is getting bullied or getting shit or whatever at school, they can't just go home at the end of the day and be away from it for a while, it's going to be continued on facebook or over text. Around 25 percent of school aged young people self harm now in my country, facebook is cited by these kids as a big contributing factor in their unhappiness. So in this sense yes. Overall I like social media though, I think the advantages of everyone being connected in this way hasn't been realized yet.
    yeah when i see my teenage relatives and family friends on facebook it makes me grateful that i was born a little bit earlier and didn't have to grow up with so much social media. i don't know about technology on the whole but with facebook & twitter & tumblr & instagram etc etc etc its like theres this idea that you're supposed to have your whole life on display all the time. and that you deserve to always be noticed and that the minute details of your life are other peoples business. and being a teenager is just embarassing, period. and teenagers are assholes to other teenagers and enjoy embarassing them. and what goes on social media is the persona/face you want to present and not necessarily realistic so it creates all kinds of expectations that young people might not be able to see as distinct from reality. i think being a teenager right now with the prevalence of that stuff would really suck.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Villain View Post
    Cluck
    Werd, you went form a pro-marxist stance to an anti-marxist one.

Around 25 percent of school aged young people self harm now in my country
    Mwahahaha.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

young people self-harm omg thats SO FUCKING FUNNY somebody remind me why absurd is tolerated again?

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

No

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    young people self-harm omg thats SO FUCKING FUNNY somebody remind me why absurd is tolerated again?
    Somebody remind you why young people self-harm first, Maritsa.

Let me tell you, they do it due to their lives being miserable, not getting enough fresh air...

Mine isn't, mwahahaha!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IAround 25 percent of school aged young people self harm now in my country
    I want citation on that.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    I want citation on that.
    There:

Around 25 percent of school aged young people self harm now in my country

TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Werd, you went form a pro-marxist stance to an anti-marxist one.
    How is it anti-Marxist?
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How is it anti-Marxist?
    The part that stresses the uselessness of technology, not unless you want to go back to the Agrarian Age.

TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The part that stresses the uselessness of technology, not unless you want to go back to the Agrarian Age.
    I don't see how that was conveyed. But for clarity, I do not think technology is useless or inherently harmful, quite the contrary. All i'm saying is that under present social-relations, the development of technology has the simultaneous effect of being a source of misery while also dismantling the basis on which the present social-structure is erected.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't see how that was conveyed. But for clarity, I do not think technology is useless or inherently harmful, quite the contrary. All i'm saying is that under present social-relations, the development of technology has the simultaneous effect of being a source of misery while also dismantling the basis on which the present social-structure is erected.
    I am perfectly fine myself even though I do happen to use a few gadgets. Don't use facebook and other boring boredom producing boring activities that I am bored of and do not see any value in, though. I don't mutilate myself as well, in fact, I am pretty healthy: no insomnia, no ADHD, AIDS, etc.

TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am perfectly fine myself even though I do happen to use a few gadgets. Don't use facebook and other boring boredom producing boring activities that I am bored of and do not see any value in, though. I don't mutilate myself as well, in fact, I am pretty healthy: no insomnia, no ADHD, AIDS, etc.
    Glad to hear it

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah when i see my teenage relatives and family friends on facebook it makes me grateful that i was born a little bit earlier and didn't have to grow up with so much social media. i don't know about technology on the whole but with facebook & twitter & tumblr & instagram etc etc etc its like theres this idea that you're supposed to have your whole life on display all the time. and that you deserve to always be noticed and that the minute details of your life are other peoples business. and being a teenager is just embarassing, period. and teenagers are assholes to other teenagers and enjoy embarassing them. and what goes on social media is the persona/face you want to present and not necessarily realistic so it creates all kinds of expectations that young people might not be able to see as distinct from reality. i think being a teenager right now with the prevalence of that stuff would really suck.
    Agree with every word of this.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+10
    I like to think they'll grow up to see the sillyness of it all in a way our generation generally doesn't though.

Somebody remind you why young people self-harm first, Maritsa.

Let me tell you, they do it due to their lives being miserable, not getting enough fresh air...

Mine isn't, mwahahaha!
    You're fooling nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    I want citation on that.
    Yeah sorry, it's 1 in 12. I'm stupid when I wake up, is this type related?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're fooling nobody.
    Not my problem you're stuck with bleeding emos, or they're stuck with you. Birds of a feather flock together, so watch with those silly accusations and assumptions, silly Gamma/Alpha/Beta.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not my problem you're stuck with bleeding emos, or they're stuck with you. Birds of a feather flock together, so watch with those silly accusations and assumptions, silly Gamma/Alpha/Beta.
    Quadra has nothing to do with it. I just think everybody should stop getting so butthurt in this and stick to the topic. If you want to make a emo thread then go make an emo thread.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quadra has nothing to do with it. I just think everybody should stop getting so butthurt in this and stick to the topic. If you want to make a emo thread then go make an emo thread.
    Not my problem you think Quadras don't have anything to do with it you silly, mutilating yourself ILE. As for an emo thread, this is an emo thread.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not my problem you think Quadras don't have anything to do with it you silly, mutilating yourself ILE. As for an emo thread, this is an emo thread.
    You know, I know how to deal with people like you.

I tell you how my life story is like a black abyss. One day, long ago in the prairie fields of my hometown, I lived in blackness. My life was cloaked in an everlong darkness of impenetrable sadness and nothingness. I would hang out with the crows in the field, tell stories of my emotions....how deep and rich they were and how they mimicked the dark crows that flew in the distance. Then I combed my hair to the side and put on dark glasses, hoping that the darkness would overwhelm me. And so I became one with the darkness and I joined a forum named Socionics.info. I seeked out a man named Absurd who would listen to the crimes of my dark past, my emotions that spurred from the inner sanctums of my body. Please, help me Absurd, you're my only hope.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Okay.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay.
    I am glad you can be so emotionally involved in my life. Thank you.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am glad you can be so emotionally involved in my life. Thank you.
    No problem, Tottenham United. Oh and as long this is a convo between you and me I want to add that if my memory serves me right (does most of the time), I've seen your pics. You posted them once in one of your threads and you're wearing nappies in them.

Cheerio, you toddler.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem, Tottenham United. Oh and as long this is a convo between....blah blah
    What is the actual purpose of you posting here? Is this what it takes for you to get through the day? Throwing infantile insults at people over the internet. It's not even like your trolling is intelligent or witty, you literally just shit barely intelligible insults at everyone at any given opportunity.

What do you actually do in real life?

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem, Tottenham United. Oh and as long this is a convo between you and me I want to add that if my memory serves me right (does most of the time), I've seen your pics. You posted them once in one of your threads and you're wearing nappies in them.

Cheerio, you toddler.
    LMAO. Haha, oh come on. You atleast liked my story.

Banned
    TIM
    Enneagram 8
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the actual purpose of you posting here? Is this what it takes for you to get through the day? Throwing infantile insults at people over the internet. It's not even like your trolling is intelligent or witty, you literally just shit barely intelligible insults at everyone at any given opportunity.

I actually appreciate his honesty.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think it is clear that modern technology is making us all antisocial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast