Thread: Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kurt Vonnegut

We lost something crucial to the functioning of the universe when he died. I was basically breastfed on him.

What's his type?
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ENTp
    IEI subtype

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I know I read Slaughterhouse Five, but it didn't leave much of an impression because I don't even remember what it was about.

Ah, I used wikipedia to refresh my memory. . . Ne.
    And so it goes....

(remember?)
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having trouble telling the difference between ENTp and INFp for several authors. I was leaning towards ILE with Vonnegut.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Entj is likely, and possibly INFP in my opinion.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see more Ni than Ne in his writing. I think INFp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kurt Vonnegut

There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.

Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?

Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

I don't know about you, but I practice a disorganized religion. I belong to an unholy disorder. We call ourselves “Our Lady of Perpetual Astonishment.”

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I have to say is that the man doesn't know what he's talking about; the semi-colon is a proud and noble creature, and very useful in accurately representing the English language as it is spoken in practice. Not as clumsy or as random as a period. An elegant grammatical mark for a more civilized age.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think IEE.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not a fan from breakfast of champions. He isn't terrible, but a little obnoxious.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love his books. i just read slaughterhouse five and the section where they describe American prisoners is now one of my favorite passages about American culture ever written. I like sirens of titan best because i do love more traditional storytelling and most other vonnegut i've read is very artistic and he's developed his own literary style. i don't know his type at all!
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

breakfast of champions is my favorite book ever, basically.

not sure on his type, i'd think an irrational intuitive of some sort.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    i love his books. i just read slaughterhouse five and the section where they describe American prisoners is now one of my favorite passages about American culture ever written. I like sirens of titan best because i do love more traditional storytelling and most other vonnegut i've read is very artistic and he's developed his own literary style. i don't know his type at all!
    same! but I've never read sirens of titan! Guess I should go find it at the library...
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    breakfast of champions is my favorite book ever, basically.

not sure on his type, i'd think an irrational intuitive of some sort.
    oh yeah, I agree on the irrational intuitive. INTp maybe?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    Now I'm curious about what he says about American prisoners...
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    Now I'm curious about what he says about American prisoners...
    when i have a chance i'll type it up. it says more about the american psyche and our mental relationship to wealth and money, summed up nicely by the stupid phrase, 'if you are so smart, why aren't you rich?'
    asd

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I think IEE.
    He does look a little like Mark Twain, who I've heard was IEE.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love his comment about semicolons; it was clever and spot-on.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

INTj seems very likely. He looks very composed, humble, even self-abasing at times, and there is Fe-seeking all over his quotations with hints of Ne-creative/Se-PoLR.

"I sometimes wondered what the use of any of the arts was. The best thing I could come up with was what I call the canary in the coal mine theory of the arts. This theory says that artists are useful to society because they are so sensitive. They are super-sensitive. They keel over like canaries in poison coal mines long before more robust types realize that there is any danger whatsoever."

"High school is closer to the core of the American experience than anything else I can think of."

"What we will be seeking ... for the rest of our lives will be large, stable communities of like-minded people, which is to say relatives. They no longer exist. The lack of them is not only the main cause, but probably the only cause of our shapeless discontent in the midst of such prosperity."

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile."

"Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules — and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress."

"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Mafia."

"During my controlled near-death experiences, I’ve met Sir Isaac Newton, who died back in 1727 as often as I’ve met Saint Peter. They both hang out at the Heaven end of the blue tunnel of the Afterlife. Saint Peter is there because it’s his job. Sir Isaac is there because of his insatiable curiosity about what the blue tunnel is, how the blue tunnel works."

"You hate America, don't you?" she said.
    "That would be as silly as loving it," I said. "It's impossible for me to get emotional about it, because real estate doesn't interest me. It's no doubt a great flaw in my personality, but I can't think in terms of boundaries. Those imaginary lines are as unreal to me as elves and pixies. I can't believe that they mark the end or the beginning of anything of real concern to the human soul. Virtues and vices, pleasures and pains cross boundaries at will."

You know what gets me? ... How everybody says "fuck" and "shit" all the time. I used to be scared shitless if I'd say "fuck" or "shit" in public, by accident. Now everybody says "fuck" and "shit", "fuck" and "shit" all the time. Something very big must have happened while we were out of the country.
    Last edited by silke; 09-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...I sort of...disagree ...I think he has strong feeling and intuition, but that's just me. He's an awful lot more expressive than any INTj I've ever met and a bit goofier I think

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ILE isn't a bad typing at all...or possibly ENFp

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still think IXFp > all suggestions. F > T, dynamic > static.
    i can't explain my reasoning very well so fuck.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I was gonna put this quote in the delta pictures & quotes thread and then I checked here and saw there's nothing even close to consensus. It seems like Ne/Fi to me but it's just one quote. I've only read one of his books, years ago, and I remember it felt like it might get interesting until the time I finished and then I was kinda annoyed that it never did.

“So when people I like do something terrible,” I said, “I just flense them and forgive them.”
    ”Flense?” he said. “What’s flense?”
    “It’s what whalers used to do to whale carcasses when they got them on board,” I said. “They would strip off the skin and blubber and meat right down to the skeleton. I do that in my head to people—get rid of all the meat so I can see nothing but their souls. Then I forgive them.” - Kurt Vonnegut.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII-Ne, same type as me.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'll choose EII-Fi. VI comparison with some other EII-Fi on my Socionics New Wave list.

Looks like the best match:

Al Pacino

Anthony Hopkins

Ian McShane

Gabriel Byrne

Lots of Fi-lead in this interview:

very similar physical qualia to Pacino in terms of output of force: