Thread: Using your "ignoring" function

Creepy-

Default Using your "ignoring" function

What are some examples of times you use or have used your ignoring function? Is/was it by way of conscious or unconscious choice? How do/did you fare?

I ask because it's supposed to be strong but not valued, but everyone must use it from time to time. So, your anecdotes?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is ...I guess it would be something like:

"Wow, the second largest bank collapse ever happened today. This is probably one of those warning signs of serious problems with the US economy and a possible imminent disaster/police state of some sort. Maybe I should prepare for that in some way or something...

...Fuck it dude, let's go bowling. If I spend all my money they can't lose it when the banks collapse! Plus, it'll be fun to see what happens when the mayhem begins!"
    ILE - Ti.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm introduced to a new situation/idea, I like to understand the Ti aspects of it. If I can generally make sense of it in Ti terms, I can deal with whatever comes up. I don't like to pay too much attention to it though, and if someone suggests that I'm not paying enough attention to it I'll probably either explain why they're wrong or just blow them off. If they're right and it's something I hadn't thought of but is useful, however, then I appreciate it.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use it all the time, as it is rather impossible to create without spending time inputting .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do actually use Si to some extent; I use it in a kind of don't-care way but still with skill. Say when I want to make my room more comfortable to sleep in or something. It's simply unimportant next to Se.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If half of what people say about Ne is true, I think I tend to use it a lot for humour's sake. But I honestly don't know where the line between Ne and Ni is drawn half the time. I'm trying to think of some examples...it's usually when talking to my SLI friend I use this sort of humour. I do so pretty easily. But for some reason I still can't think of an example. Or at least not one that isn't going to offend half the forum (some of the humour is, shall we say, rather off-colour. Some did I say? Most more like). If I think of an example I'll come back.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the easiest way to simplify it would be to say that Ne is more related to possibilities and Ni is more related to probabilities (in terms of information elements, that is).
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I think the easiest way to simplify it would be to say that Ne is more related to possibilities and Ni is more related to probabilities (in terms of information elements, that is).
    That works quite well.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you expand on this? How is seeing possibilities different from seeing probabilities?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use a lot of diagrams, but for these two information elements there's one that illustrates pretty well how Ne and Ni look to me.

As far as what it actually looks like in people's behavior, have you seen this topic yet?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    Ne HA -- perceptive of ways around obstacles. inept at selecting the best one, but for this type that's not terribly important -- ESj's as EJ-sensors can make a lackluster possibility work through lots of activity and effort.

Ni HA -- perceptive of the odds of success and failure, but within a limited scope. may become blindsided by the unforseen or paralyzed by the worst-case. But this is a more tolerable predicament for IJ-sensors than other types, because they find themselves in environments of well-defined goals and routines.

Ne base -- skilled at seeing possibilities and selecting the best one. but prefers to communicate the possibilities rather than the probabilities. Si types seek Ne types to break routine.

Ni base -- skilled at seeing possibilities and selecting the best one. but prefers to communicate the probabilities rather than the possibilities. Se types seek Ni types to forsee the consequences of their strong-willed goals and actions.
    This is good.

I'd like to add that Ni types give Ni hidden agenda types a sense of direction. They're good at working steadily towards a specific end, but they very much appreciate someone assuring them that the end they're working towards is probable (and why) and that it's the best choice.
    SEE

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses Mimosa, Joy and imf! The way you explained it makes sense and helped me see the difference. I'm still having a hard time figuring out which one I use more in a real-life context. Does anyone have real-life experiences in using one vs the other?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignoring function, would that be the 7th?
    Generally speaking, for me it is very easy to notice logical contradictions in other people's logical explanation; however I sometimes commit the same contradictions when I am building a not-already-estabilished system (usually by trial-and-error).
    Perhaps then I can say I use it as a shield against misuse from the external world, but I am not acutely aware of it when concentrating on the base.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    If you win 1 million dollars, what would you do with the money...?

I think the way you answer that question in your mind will reveal a lot about how you use and .

If you start dreaming about all the possibilities you have, you're using , if you know more or less immediately how you would invest the money, you're using more .

... I think....?

I guess I do both simultaneously, but I prefer the -dreams and use them to challenge the answer. is fun and happy and interesting. is definite and safe and boring... I definitely prefer the open to the sensible and more grounded (I guess that would feel different for other types, though)
    Thanks! If this is in fact a reflection of Ni vs. Ne, I definitely use Ne way more and prefer it. If I won the lottery, I would be attracted by all the possibilities this would open up, without wanting to restrict myself to any one in particular. I do think I have more ability in helping someone see different possibilities versus restraining someone to seeing which one is more likely (although I also do the latter to some extent). I guess what makes it less clear to see is that I know I use both, but I would also describe looking at many possibilities the way you would...as exciting and fun. It definitely feels like my happy place.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well.... It was definitely a biased reflection....

And even though my description is close to reality (the way I see it), I'm not totally sure about the -function yet, so I have a feeling my reflection might have been a little "weak" on the part.

But I do use both simultaneously, and I have a really hard time understanding what is what.
    There could be an aspect of rationality/irrationality to it, plus I'm not sure it's safe to assume that all Ni types are interested in investing. Not to mention that we all use all of our functions.

Overall the concept remains in tact though, I think.
    SEE

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well.... It was definitely a biased reflection....

And even though my description is close to reality (the way I see it), I'm not totally sure about the -function yet, so I have a feeling my reflection might have been a little "weak" on the part.

But I do use both simultaneously, and I have a really hard time understanding what is what.
    I always have this same feeling too. I have a hard time grasping what Ni is, especially as it is described by Ni leading people. The way they describe things usually sounds too abstract to me...which is my difficulty understanding INFps. Does this happen to you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thought: "I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds, and take the other half to my friend Asid in securities..."

This was a quote from Office Space, so I moved on

Second thought: Buy a cheap house and live off it for the rest of my life

Next throughts: After this came the "but wait I want to travel, and start some businesses, and move to another country, and..."

So I guess starts out with something useless, says no this would be intelligent, and says but what about all these other possibilities????

It seems like I also prefer the openness of being able to do anything with the money. If I start dividing it up in my head (do this with $100k, this with $200k, etc) it becomes a lot less attractive and I get tired of the whole idea. I want to think of all things I could do with all of it!

(this is assuming I'm Ne ego, and not Ni, which I still wonder about sometimes.)
    ILE - Ti.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diljs View Post
    So I guess starts out with something useless, says no this would be intelligent, and says but what about all these other possibilities????

It seems like I also prefer the openness of being able to do anything with the money. If I start dividing it up in my head (do this with $100k, this with $200k, etc) it becomes a lot less attractive and I get tired of the whole idea. I want to think of all things I could do with all of it!
    This is how it is for me too, except even the way you described it seems too limiting for me, which makes me think I probably ignore Ni even more than you do.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. His description sounded very linear compared to how I do it. A LOT of options come simultaneously to my head, and I don't really evaluate them before playing with them. The -answer is there, simultaneously as well, but it's not really important. I want to see WHAT can happen and HOW I must manipulate other things in my future to make it happen. I go all the way to actually seeing myself in different situations, checking what situation feels the best. When I have chosen the situation with the best feel, I might go back and ask myself if it's the easiest way, but I normally go for a POSSIBLE way to "heaven" rather than than the most probable way to "really good".
    +1000! This is exactly my experience also.

Oh, and that ability to put myself in the different situations is a very neat one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In defense of my , I drew out the steps for ease of analysis, it actually happened a lot faster than that in my mind. I wouldn't quite call it simultaneous, but it was very fast.
    ILE - Ti.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the way you answer that question in your mind will reveal a lot about how you use and .

If you start dreaming about all the possibilities you have, you're using , if you know more or less immediately how you would invest the money, you're using more .

... I think....?

I guess I do both simultaneously, but I prefer the -dreams and use them to challenge the answer. is fun and happy and interesting. is definite and safe and boring... I definitely prefer the open to the sensible and more grounded (I guess that would feel different for other types, though)

Hmm I wonder if some Ni types could answer this (Joy kind of has already though). My reaction was the "Ne" type, but I just wonder if most people in general have this reaction when they are faced with a question that they haven't previously thought out the answer to.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use a lot of diagrams, but for these two information elements there's one that illustrates pretty well how Ne and Ni look to me.

+1000000

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, there's a lot of useless information in here. So would anyone like to elaborate on their 7th function for me? I'm interested in key words, like annoying or wrong (maybe that's too harsh), something that is significant to you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's funny is that both Mimosa and Sirena are now IEIs.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    what's funny is that both Mimosa and Sirena are now IEIs.
    Point taken

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ignoring function is something that you understand and are confident in, but you dismiss it in favor of the base function. In other words, the ignoring function is something that should "serve" the base function.

Your contraries, doing the opposite, are seen by you as deviants and miscreants.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find myself using my ignoring function when I am with gammas, I like using it of course, and I like Gammas Fi (nothing wrong with the Delta's FI but I don't relate as much), conversation becomes more subdue because Fe is now on ignored or not really much in full mode, and conversation becomes more serious and bonded.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this last week--how I'm stronger in Fi than in Ne, or at least I value it more. And I didn't have time to look up the functions to see what the descriptions said about that. But I feel like I have no time for Ne. Thinking up all the crazy possibilities seems like a waste of time, to an extent. My mother is NeFi and even when she's trying to be helpful it's like her ideas bounce off the walls and I hardly have time to lob them back with my analysis. lol But then I realize that she doesn't really care about that, she's happy enough throwing the ideas out there. So I learned to listen but on the inside sort of tune her out.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I was thinking about this last week--how I'm stronger in Fi than in Ne, or at least I value it more. And I didn't have time to look up the functions to see what the descriptions said about that. But I feel like I have no time for Ne. Thinking up all the crazy possibilities seems like a waste of time, to an extent. My mother is NeFi and even when she's trying to be helpful it's like her ideas bounce off the walls and I hardly have time to lob them back with my analysis. lol But then I realize that she doesn't really care about that, she's happy enough throwing the ideas out there. So I learned to listen but on the inside sort of tune her out.
    Eh yeah I feel you. My mom is one to throw all sorts of crazy ideas at me, however I don't even think she's an Ne ego, it would make sense though. She can be seriously annoying. I can kind of see the contrast between Ni and Ne, one gets tuned out, and even for 07490, how Fe gets tuned out. Fi is extremely serious, but more of the stereotypical serious. I think Fe is just a serious, only it's very emotional and expressive. Like a few of my nonquadra friends don't think I'm being serious when expressing myself, and that's even what music is for, but I don't understand them when they do their cold and selective thing either, I always have to say to myself, why does this matter, can't they just be tolerant about it and keep their dignity? So to each his own.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    What are some examples of times you use or have used your ignoring function? Is/was it by way of conscious or unconscious choice? How do/did you fare?
    I've once took an experiment whether one could choose to 'use a particular function'. Results were that you always use your ego function. So since this material is still very speculative, I cannot answer your question straight.

Though I can say that you can have knowledge about the existence of your ignoring function when you are with your Illusionary partner. You get really tired, especially when you are doing (instead of watching) an activity together.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignoring function in action (Ni-ENFj

Last night, pretty late, I was talking with my buddy online when my other friends' gf called... She wanted to know her bf's opinion of her.

I told her: "if you want to know what he feels about you, ask him. I am not in his fuckin head."

I have a pretty good idea what her bf feels about her, but still--idk exactly.

The conversation ended with me asking, "Can I go now?"

An ENFj's ignoring function is Fi. This is the ignoring function in sum.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mine is . I can quite practical and efficient when I choose to be but tends to be a bigger priority for me.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Octopuslove: you have to go backwards to go forwards.