Thread: Types and reading

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Types and reading

Please let us know which types are likely to read what kind/genre/types of books.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an Ne-ego, I read non-fiction, factual, how-to, scientific works. It feds my imagination since I don't need anyone to tell me what to imagine.

Absurd: You Ti dominants sure say things I don't really know where to put.
    labtard: fml
    Absurd: Hah.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read journals, excerpts, documentaries, technical manuals, forums, news websites, about physics experiments, and about philosophy, haphazardly. The only fiction books I've ever truly finished were The Stranger and Knee Deep in the Dead.

I don't have the patience for reading long books when all I want to know is the implications and the point of the story or idea or happening. Some of the time, the books don't give you that information anyway, so it's more enjoyable for me to read about books and then read sections that might appeal to me.
    good bye

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i read blogs and reference materials voraciously.

non-fiction books i skim. fiction books i avoid almost completely.

i like summarized, structured information. anything presented in the form of a flowing narrative is torturous to me.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    i read blogs and reference materials voraciously.

non-fiction books i skim. fiction books i avoid almost completely.

i like summarized, structured information. anything presented in the form of a flowing narrative is torturous to me.
    Yeah, more or less my preferences aswell, although I do read some fiction books sometimes, usually from authors with a peculiar style.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm IEI (lolz).

And I like to read philosophy and non-fiction mostly. I tend to be fairly random. I used to be anyway. I felt like I would have a broader knowledge base. So I would read soil text books etc. I think it was also because I was poor and I just read what I could get.

I read a lot of fiction for school. I don't like modern writing much. I prefer my fiction authors to be 100 years dead. I read for the writing not the story. Modern language is terrible.

I also spend an hour or so a day reading the news.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger I loved fantasy (Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, etc). Sci fi was hit or miss, usually the ones I like were really comedic (Red Dwarf) or more psychological (Armor). I never got why anyone would read non fiction books at all as they made me want to headdesk. Still I liked history in general and military history specifically. As I've grown older I've enjoyed more abstract studies of feminism (Virginia Woolf), sociology and philosophy in select limited tidbits, and military strategy, particularly where they echo a more Aristotelian approach like Sound Military Decision by the Naval War College. I don't really read that much these days though. I also like to read treatises on the martial arts like The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi and The Life Giving Sword by the guy that gives me my username, Yagyu Munenori, or just picture books about sword or spear techniques. In the fantasy days I'd read a book or two a week but now I'm more on par for two or three a year.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

philosophy is less exciting to me than psychology, economics/finance and engineering (software or otherwise), although not quite as boring as physics (apart from basic practical newtonian stuff that has bearing on everyday life). math is useful to the extent it helps me properly do other things but not worthwhile in it's own right. history is interesting only in as far as it illustrates principles in social sciences. one field i feel is worth mentioning in particular is neuroscience although i tend to suffice with the stylized, truncated version of the facts rather than the arbitrary details as to how each individual part of the nervous system is named.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For fiction: mostly suspense/thriller or horror for the page turner feeling and being on the edge of my seat about who done it or what will happen next. Sometimes drama if it's well done and can prompt me to reevaluate how I feel and where I stand on things that are relevant to me. Sometimes old classics even though I often find them difficult to get into for sort of an anthropological purpose. I want to be clued in to the stuff that has had an influence on culture and the collective mindset. Sometimes I end up loving them.

For non-fiction, it's been mostly pop psychology or typology but these days I'm pretty burnt out on that stuff. Topics that are relevant to my everyday life like cookbooks or kids card games or how to save money. The occasional auto/biography. I feel like I'm forgetting something. Edit: all the random articles I read via apps on my phone.
    Last edited by ashlesha; 10-31-2012 at 12:53 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    I cant read fiction. It feels like prison to me.
    Neither can I.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTp /SLI Like to read...Cliff notes.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read mostly non-fiction about politics, society and history. If I read fiction, then it's almost exclusively science-fiction. I don't follow any blogs but I'll read interesting articles in the net if I stumble upon them.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fiction books i avoid almost completely.

Please try "The Brooklyn Follies" by Paul Auster. My LII friend likes the book, he recommended it to me. He seems alot like you, serious and scientific, but he likes light emotions and funny stories for relaxation. Then tell me what you thought of the book.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have recently enjoyed reading:
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Catcher in the Rye
    The Hunger Games
    White Noise

Maybe someone categorise them for me?
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    I have recently enjoyed reading:
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Catcher in the Rye
    The Hunger Games
    White Noise

Maybe someone categorise them for me?
    Mainstream? Just kidding, some books become popular for a reason (some don't, though).
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

philosophy is less exciting to me than psychology
    In terms of philosophy you should try Maxims by La Rochefoucauld it is closer to what we would call psychology, it's also short and pretty easy to read (mostly consisting of aphorisms).
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a summary somewhere...

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a summary somewhere...
    I could find a proper summary online (it isn't easy to summarise) but hopefully this review is enough:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...d-1807177.html
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm, I read anything I could and into some things I got deeper, ad in some not at all losing interest/dropping what I have been doing day by day as years progressed and getting into things not known to me before, again, to drop it, but some things from past I have been into stayed with till this day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    Please let us know which types are likely to read what kind/genre/types of books.
    I belive Logical types read more non-fiction and Ethical types fiction.

This has to do with the goals of the types. For example, LSE is probably interested in books that have some kind of practical value, "how to build..."
    The types that have motivation to experience more emotions are going to be interested in reading fiction books... Ethical types.

As ILI, my motivation is to increase inner power and develop myself. So I seek the information that helps me accomplish this. When I read fiction book I feel like i am wasting time and energy. No benefit in it. But if I convince myself that reading fiction book is going to open up my creativity, I might read it.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkworker View Post
    This has to do with the goals of the types. For example, LSE is probably interested in books that have some kind of practical value, "how to build..."
    Never read such nor am interested in such. How to build what, though, a dungeon to keep people in, the more nutty ones? I can do that without referencing to a book.

It's called skills...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Never read such nor am interested in such. How to build what, though, a dungeon to keep people in, the more nutty ones? I can do that without referencing to a book.

It's called skills...
    Louis Theroux: [voiceover] Although I'd gone to bed, Will stayed up late with Jimmy. He began talking about his work as a dancehall manager in the Fifties.

Jimmy Savile: In the dancehalls I invented zero tolerance, I wouldn't stand for any nonsense whatever - ever. Ever ever ever. I was always in trouble with the law for being heavy-handed. Always. But I couldn't care less about that.

Will Yapp: [off-camera] Ejecting people who were mucking about?

Jimmy Savile: No, I never threw anybody out. Tied 'em up, and put them down in the bloody boilerhouse until I was ready for them, at 2 o'clock in the fucking morning. They'd plead to get out! Nobody ever got slung out of my place.

Will Yapp: Tied them up and put them in the back?

Jimmy Savile: Oh aye, yeah. Oh aye, bollocks to them, yeah. We'd tie 'em up and everybody would come back and I was the judge, jury and executioner.

[the picture fades to a different point in the conversation]

Jimmy Savile: You know, if a copper came and said "You was a bit heavy with them, that kid or those two guys, whatever", I'd say "Your daughter comes in here, she's 16, she's not supposed to come into town but she does and she comes here. Presumably you'd like me to look after her, if you don't want me to look after her, tell me, and I'll let them dirty slags do what they want to her" "All right, Jim, all right, all right, all right" "All right, then. Don't give me a fucking hard time, then" "Yeah, you're right, you're right, you didn't give the bastard half enough, I'll tell you, Jim. Thank you, goodbye" And I never got nicked.

[he chuckles]

Jimmy Savile: And I've never altered. I've got zero tolerance, me.

[he lights another cigar]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's called skills...
    My father is LSE and my opinion was based on my understanding of him.

If you are not interested in reading books that have practical value, what kind of books are you interested in?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading of different LSEs I know:

- Film theory and reviews.

- Military history and fiction, spy novels, and hunting magazines.

- Nothing much at all.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkworker View Post
    My father is LSE and my opinion was based on my understanding of him.

If you are not interested in reading books that have practical value, what kind of books are you interested in?
    Great, I'm not your father and books/magazines and such do not have practical value, those are theories and ideas, I can agree though that the only practical value they have is when you burn them to get warm, wipe your arse off, that is, use them in a way that actually practical. I'm sure some of them do their job fine when applied, but they do not have to.

Sure, I read like crazy when younger and korpsey got it, although I still do not know how, but I've licked military history actually some time ago amongst many subjects but usually I read those that helped me to keep in touch/up to date with, say, my job, etc. Most things I have learned has been through interaction with environment though, not sitting in chair and reading books on how to do something. Oh, I've read novels as well and didn't die like true LSEs.
    Last edited by Absurd; 11-02-2012 at 08:47 PM.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    Mainstream? Just kidding, some books become popular for a reason (some don't, though).
    Actually doesn't sound too far off, now I think about it- perhaps I want to read all of the books which have become classics (Hunger Games excepted, of course ) because it's interesting to see these different characters or the ideas brought up by the author. I probably throw a spanner in the works because I don't have any particular passion for non-fiction despite being (self-typing as) a Logical type.

Separately, what "kinds" of books are there? It might help discussion if we had vague categories with which to reference, i.e.

Non-fiction
    How-to books
    History/biography books (or should this be separate?)
    etc.

Fiction
    Escapist
    Classics
    Ideas-based (I'm thinking Atlas Shrugged or Brave New World kind of books, where you're supposed to go in and analyse it)
    etc.
    (I didn't put in genres because I'm not sure if genres are a type-thing: it may be more of an interests thing).
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read all sorts, i leave books in every room so i can pick one up whever i feel like it...plus i like variety.

Lots of different types of reading material... next to me i have several .... most i have been reading for some time but not completed

Cervantes -Don Quixote
    The Romanovs -Lindsey Hughes
    The Tibetan Book Of The Dead -Evans-Wentz
    The Story Of Physics -Anna Rooney
    Skeletons On The Zahara -Dean King
    Wordswoth-New Oxford English Series
    Against A Dark Background -Iain Banks

I also have a long mental reading list.

Oh i forgot one...

The Time Travellers Wife - Audry Niffeneggar

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, I read like crazy when younger and korpsey got it, although I still do not know how, but I've licked military history actually some time ago amongst many subjects
    That was my old man with the military and espionage books.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HandiAce View Post
    As an Ne-ego, I read non-fiction, factual, how-to, scientific works. It feds my imagination since I don't need anyone to tell me what to imagine.
    My preference by far as well. I see reading fiction as a colossal waste of time.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I almost exclusively read fiction (and academic criticism thereof, which can include areas of Philosophy, Sociology, Anthropology...), mostly by non-Western/"minority" authors (which double as research and teaching material). Some of my favorites are
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie
    Death and the King's Horseman by Wole Soyinka
    Where We Once Belonged by Sia Figiel
    The Bone People by Keri Hulme
    Once were Warriors by Alan Duff
    The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

I also enjoy reading Edgar Allan Poe, William Faulkner, Thomas Mann, Hermann Hesse, Tolkien, Goethe, Toni Morrison, Sherman Alexie, Upton Sinclair,...

When I travel I read those page-turners you can buy at the airport and I have read every Stephen King book out there (except for the Dark Tower series).

Reading is the next-best thing to traveling when it comes to escaping for a little while. I always carry a novel with me. Good thing I read for a living.

I also read the news on the internet and how-tos when I need them (the latest about adding power steering fluid...).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    My preference by far as well. I see reading fiction as a colossal waste of time.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    sorries Kim!!! Maybe it's because i have so much non-fiction reading to do for work, i'd rather not be reading in whats left of my spare time ...unless i need to for some practical reason. I also get a little dyslexic when i'm sleep deprived... which doesn't help.

when i was a kid i loved fiction. Realistic fiction, though, is my preference, in particular that which can teach me about another culture/way of life. The only setting in which i read fiction nowadays though is, as you alluded to, while traveling.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only books I enjoy reading are manuals. Some manuals then become trusted resources.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    That was my old man with the military and espionage books.
    Alright, I said I licked it and it was passing, do not read espionage books at all, never had, but I read novels in my free time when younger, not to mention those I had to, do not go hunting at all, nor am interested in it as well. Serious thread is serious.

I read mostly everything that was there to read when younger, not so much now, it got narrower and more sporadic.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will read a toothpaste tube if no other text is handy to occupy my brain at any point when I'm sitting down without doing so before a steering wheel.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh I see, korpsey. Anyway, someday we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a reminder of how I follow the case of how "A classic is a book which people praise and don't read." (Mark Twain) as I read Nineteen Eighty-Four. Almost every Westerner who has had any interest in politics knows how it all goes down. And like those, I have been using the book as a political concept. Now that I read the book I don't feel any more wiser. I have already been able to imagine those scenarios, mostly due to the dystopian discourse culture the book had during the last few decades, most of them under the Cold War. It wasn't touching.

Lately I've been reading psycho-anarchist books like the Dice Manand ..... ..... Terry Pratchett's Discworld comic fantasy is fun, but I don't like fantasy much. I tried to read Lord of The Rings saga before the movies but I got bored since Legolas had to remember out an ancient elven song everytime something happened in the boring wilds they went through.

I think I like some sorta narrative minimalism.

Bukowski just states how the factotum Henry Chinaski rolls down the stairs at work and notices a bar across. The next chapter begins Henry being unemployed and hungover.

I hate elaborate visual descriptions. I'm not going to keep up with them and I'd rather use my imagination or watch the movie.

Then there are Eastern classics like Tao Te Ching and Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings. I have only read some excerpts from Sun-Tzu's Art of War, but I'm sure I'd like it.

Some ancient stories are fun to read just for the sake of their reasoning like the Bible, veda texts, Quran, greek philosophers, mythologies (Greek, shaman and Kalevala mostly).

When I was a child I used to skim encyclopedias and now I sometimes love to get lost in Wikipedia. "List of Common Misconceptions" was fairly entertaining.

I don't read mainstream media news much nowadays but otherwise I'm into local, European, American politics and my own dimly green-ish pirate agenda politics. War news bores me since I'm not interested in hearing fatality counts over and over again.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast