View Poll Results: Do you have health insurance (options 4-10 if you live in the U.S.)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live in a country with universal healthcare or mandatory health insurance

12 30.77%
  • I live in a country without universal healthcare and have insurance

1 2.56%
  • I live in a country without universal healthcare and don't have insurance

2 5.13%
  • I have insurance through my parents, spouse, partner, or other non-employers

8 20.51%
  • I have insurance through my employer

9 23.08%
  • I purchased my own insurance

1 2.56%
  • I have insurance through state or government assistance

1 2.56%
  • I don't have insurance because I don't think I need it (rarely get sick)

2 5.13%
  • I don't have insurance because I can afford to pay out-of-pocket

1 2.56%
  • I don't have insurance because I can't afford it

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have health insurance?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Do you have health insurance?

Second try. I expanded the options. If you live in the U.S., go straight to options 4-10. If you don't live in the U.S., select from options 1-3. I will post a more specific international poll shortly.

If your option is missing, please describe in a post.
    Last edited by Kim; 09-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is no poll

fixed, whatever it was, I see the poll now
    Last edited by Nico1e; 09-14-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I answered 'I can't afford it' because 'NO! OH GOD NO! DON'T MAKE ME GET INSURANCE!' wasn't an option.

Several years ago, I was working at a couple of 'good jobs.' I won't go into all the details, but that was back when I was working for the temp agency, working at factories, and also, before that, working 'full time' at a grocery store. I had insurance back then.

There's like almost a decade of experience and reading that has gone into the opinion that I have about it now, so it's hard to summarize all the reasons why I now hate insurance.

1. I have to pay lots of money, because you want *your* insurance to pay for every single trivial visit to the doctor every time you catch a cold. (Note, when I say 'you,' I don't mean 'you personally whoever is reading this,' I just mean a general 'you' as in 'somebody else.') All I want is insurance for disastrous accidents, but that kind of insurance is almost never available, and instead, I can only get the type of insurance that pays for every tiny little hangnail or splinter that you go to the doctor for. That raises the cost of insurance.

2. I would rather just get paid higher wages, instead of getting insurance as my 'benefit.' But the reason why insurance is offered as a benefit is because it is tax deductible for the employer. That will sound like gibberish to a lot of people, but basically it means that employers give you health insurance because, in some twisted way, it's cheaper for them to give you insurance instead of giving you higher wages. I can't even really explain it myself. They are saving money somehow, if they give you insurance instead of higher pay. I don't want that, I want higher pay. I hate tax incentives, and I don't believe in the income taxes at all, in general.

3. I'd be interested in a fully funded, keep-your-money, not-for-profit insurance arrangement, where you might get together with other people and agree to voluntarily help each other pay hospital bills under certain conditions. Nobody collects any profits from this arrangement. It is not a 'business.' It is an agreement, with rules. I hate the idea that some of the money I pay for my insurance goes to their profits and their administration, their secretaries and bookkeepers and CEOs and all the other people who have to get paid to run the business.

In my agreement, we would keep all of our money in our own little funds. In my imagination, this 'fund' is a physical safe box, rather than something far away in a bank. I've actually got my literal, physical safe locked up with money in it, and so do all the other people in the insurance agreement. We do not give out our money to anybody else unless we agree to. We save up money ahead of time in these boxes. Whenever someone has an unexpected accident, we contribute a portion of our saved-up money to help them, but if we don't choose to contribute, then we don't.

However, if you frequently don't contribute, then you get a bad reputation. You have to have a good reason to refuse to give out the money. That is why we would have clear rules and agreements about what types of things we would pay for.

I actually gave up on all this and just decided to trust luck. I will simply default on my bills if I get in an accident. In the past, I used to care. I used to believe it was unethical to default on any bills. Many terrible things have happened to me in the past few years, which have caused me to decide that defaulting on bills is a necessary thing to do. I won't go into it. It is a very bitter and cynical feeling, because the truth is that I prefer to pay bills, I prefer to be ethical and trustworthy, I prefer to live in an honorable society where people pay for the things that they receive.

Hospital bills are too high, and I know the reasons why they are too high, and I know the reasons why the entire medical system is not working, and I know what's causing all of it, but I have no control over this and I do not have the power to fix the system.

But I refuse to spend money on insurance and have all that money destroyed and gone forever.

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I live in a country without universal healthcare and don't have insurance"

This seems redundant because these answers:

"I don't have insurance because I don't think I need it (rarely get sick)"
    "I don't have insurance because I can afford to pay out-of-pocket"
    "I don't have insurance because I can't afford it"

already provide specific situations where you wouldn't have health insurance.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taknamay View Post
    "I live in a country without universal healthcare and don't have insurance"

This seems redundant because these answers:

"I don't have insurance because I don't think I need it (rarely get sick)"
    "I don't have insurance because I can afford to pay out-of-pocket"
    "I don't have insurance because I can't afford it"

already provide specific situations where you wouldn't have health insurance.
    If you live in the U.S., go straight to options 4-10. If you don't live in the U.S., select from options 1-3. I will post a more specific international poll shortly.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a country with semi-universal healthcare. Dental care is not covered, I tried to get insurance but they said my teeth have high risk of cavities and thus they didn't accept my request.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't have health or dental insurance. i used to through my mom but she told me it expired when i turned 19 because i had kid's insurance. she doesn't have her own. i can't afford to get it now, which is a damn shame because i need my wisdom teeth removed, i'm prescribed expensive medication, and i'd like to get on birth control. not to mention i haven't had a check up since i was 12.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borderline View Post
    i don't have health or dental insurance. i used to through my mom but she told me it expired when i turned 19 because i had kid's insurance. she doesn't have her own. i can't afford to get it now, which is a damn shame because i need my wisdom teeth removed, i'm prescribed expensive medication, and i'd like to get on birth control. not to mention i haven't had a check up since i was 12.
    Allie, are you on the student health plan?

Most universities offer very good health plans and dental care for their students.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the new thread Kim. Sorry about messing up the first, with my international answering!!!
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    If you live in the U.S., go straight to options 4-10. If you don't live in the U.S., select from options 1-3.
    Sorry, I forgot how to read.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a country where everyone is entitled to free state run healthcare including forigners like myself. However one must be careful because it isn't always great. I don't trust their diagnostic abilities. The best doctors are privatized, but they're very cheap and so it isn't an issue.

I also have insurance in the States through school if something serious happens.

"I don't have insurance because I don't think I need it (rarely get sick)" is foolish. Nobody ever thinks they are going to get cancer.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're kinda missing "i live in a country with universal healthcare but i also have extra health-insurance through someone else"

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    you're kinda missing "i live in a country with universal healthcare but i also have extra health-insurance through someone else"
    I will post a more specific international poll shortly.
    There were several options I wanted to include, but the list was getting quite long. Apologies!
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somavision View Post
    Cheers for the new thread Kim. Sorry about messing up the first, with my international answering!!!
    No, no, I am sorry about being so U.S.-centric! I will eventually come up with an even more specific poll!
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crap, I picked the wrong answer. I should have answered "I live in a country with universal health care and I have insurance." I live in Canada and I also receive insurance through my employer for everything that isn't covered by provincial health care.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I live in a country with semi-universal healthcare. Dental care is not covered, I tried to get insurance but they said my teeth have high risk of cavities and thus they didn't accept my request.
    I wonder how many countries do include dental? Here you're covered for Dental and Eyecare until you're 19. During adulthood you're no longer covered at all for dental/eye.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also need to include 'my country has universal healthcare by leeching off the united states drug companies'

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    I wonder how many countries do include dental? Here you're covered for Dental and Eyecare until you're 19. During adulthood you're no longer covered at all for dental/eye.
    In Germany you are covered for dental (with copays for things like crowns, etc.). Glasses and contacts are covered until 18 and eye exams are always covered.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsshadow View Post
    You also need to include 'my country has universal healthcare by leeching off the united states drug companies'
    Isn't that most of the world?

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    You're covered for eyecare here (only partially for contacs), and "technically" you have dental coverage but practically any dental treatment you get at the hospital will suck because only the worst doctors are forced to work there, eheh. The only exception being wisdom teeth, given that it's an extremely widespread and potentially very annoying problem you can get them treated "well" at the hospital.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted "Don't have insurance because I don't think I need it". Seeing as how I'm currently self-employed right now I don't have health insurance which I see as somewhat unnecessary considering I'm still young and relatively healthy.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My health insurance is actually pretty sweet considering what I pay for it, but I haven't been taking advantage of it. Think I'm going to schedule a trip to the dentist tomorrow though. I had the craziest nightmare last night where one of my teeth that's felt a little sensitive lately was getting pushed out of my gums and it hurt like hell.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with my health insurance. I never used it so I just canceled it. I didn't really see the point in paying for something I don't use. I also don't take stupid risks, so I guess that's a big factor.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNi View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with my health insurance. I never used it so I just canceled it. I didn't really see the point in paying for something I don't use. I also don't take stupid risks, so I guess that's a big factor.
    Not having insurance IS taking a stupid risk. lol

I once read somewhere that a very large majority of the bankruptcy's in the US are caused by people who have some sort of health problem and no insurance to cover it.

Just wait til you develop cancer and get insurance after the fact, sounds like a good idea. Because we all know that healthy people never get unhealthy...lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting, can you clarify further?

Two of the seven largest pharmaceuticals by revenue are based here in the U.K.and 5 of the top ten in the U.K.

I believe that PCTs and individuals HCPs pay a market price for drugs.

In addition, If you are looking at the significance of overall long term medical advances and developemrnt in other technologies rather than solely at drugs sales, the influence of developments outside the USA appears to becomes more significant.
    IEE-Ne

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I do, it's an amazing feeling not having to pay an arm and a leg to get dental care and being able to get RX's for absolutely nothing and to be able to go to the doctor whenever you want. That's one of the few benefits I enjoy. Oh and I can also get a free boob job if I wanted.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And don't forget "my government gifts money to US drug companies' banana republic offices".

What happens to two thirds of income of US drug companies. Or in other words, "the cost of research" myth.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Only to retards who think insurance is necessary. Do you also buy extended warranties on everything you purchase?

I once read somewhere that a very large majority of the bankruptcy's in the US are caused by people who have some sort of health problem and no insurance to cover it.
    Yes. A public and private option would help prevent that.

Just wait til you develop cancer and get insurance after the fact, sounds like a good idea. Because we all know that healthy people never get unhealthy...lol.
    How about this? Young people don't need insurance unless it's given to them. Old people need insurance because they're falling apart mentally and physically? I don't want to be part of the healthy pool who subsidize medical treatments for the old and sick.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Yeah I do, it's an amazing feeling not having to pay an arm and a leg to get dental care and being able to get RX's for absolutely nothing and to be able to go to the doctor whenever you want. That's one of the few benefits I enjoy. Oh and I can also get a free boob job if I wanted.

That's some insurance you got there!

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Only to retards who think insurance is necessary. Do you also buy extended warranties on everything you purchase?
    Well, you also don't die a slow and agonizing death when your iPad goes all wonky.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post

Well, you also don't die a slow and agonizing death when your iPad goes all wonky.
    Non-sequitur much? Young people are not statistically likely to get cancer. That's dependent on family history of course. If your family has a history of cancer, then insurance would be a good purchase at a younger age. Otherwise, insurance is really only necessary for old people, people with preexisting conditions (and surprise! insurance usually doesn't cover preexisting conditions ), or people who have dangerous careers.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

(and surprise! insurance usually doesn't cover preexisting conditions )
    obviously its your own decision, but this is yet another reason its a good idea to have it before you get old.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kassie View Post
    (and surprise! insurance usually doesn't cover preexisting conditions )
    obviously its your own decision, but this is yet another reason its a good idea to have it before you get old.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not saying I'll never ever purchase insurance. It's just that I have other priorities in my life right now and non-mandatory health insurance isn't one of them. I guess life insurance isn't too bad though.

IEE Ne Creative Type

!!!!!!

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm inclined to push my luck. I don't want to buy health insurance. I just don't worry about things, and tend to see how much I can get away with.

My battery was going out, and I knew it, but kept saying "Next trip I'll get a new one," until I did that one too many trips and was stuck with a dead battery. I used to run out of gas a lot, because I'd think "Just a few more miles, and then I'll fill up." I was supposed to renew an inspection 8 months ago but kept thinking, "Nobody has noticed yet, I'm probably fine for awhile more." And then I got a huge ticket for letting it go that long. I always know that there can be consequences. It's not ignorance. It's just that I don't mind the risk.

If anything happens to me, I can afford to pay out-of-pocket, but even when I wasn't able to do that, I still didn't want to buy insurance. I'm sure cracka will roll his eyes at that and think I'm irresponsible and stupid. Whatever. It'd be worse to be overly cautious imo, always trying to keep things under control and watch out for any little thing that could happen to you. I'm not actually irresponsible with my choices.

And there are never guarantees on anything. You could buy health insurance only to come down with some rare condition that isn't covered, or a million other loopholes, and so it may be a false sense of security for a lot of people. I'd rather just know that I'm paying for whatever comes up. I avoid doctors and hospitals as much as possible anyway.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose the option I have insurance through my employer, but it is really my school that is paying for my insurance. It's not the best but it's free. I just don't plan on going to the doctor for anything unless I have some sort of major accident.

I don't have dental insurance but have a fee reduction plan through my parents. It essentially functions like insurance in that they pay a little less than 200$ a year for it and it saves a lot on big dental procedures like crowns and root canals. It doesn't save much on routine cleanings and that kind of stuff.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess they don't want to lose someone because they killed themselves for having small boobs....or something.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wondered why the military offered free plastic surgery
    Boosts morale of the real fighting soldiers
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somavision View Post

This is interesting, can you clarify further?
    It's the libertard myth that US drug companies give drugs to non-Americans and take a loss out of their bottom line out of the goodness of their hearts.

Amazing how many people fall for it. On the other hand, definitely explains a few things
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so apparently I'm not allowed to be enrolled in school without health insurance so they made me pay like 1620$ for the school's. I haven't had health insurance in so long so I'm super excited. Cheap prescriptions and birth control here i come
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Cheap prescriptions here i come
    *jealous*
    Last edited by WVBRY; 10-19-2011 at 03:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast