Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types and learning to drive?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and learning to drive?

Which types would find learning to drive most difficult? And why?
    ENTp... love it

3w2

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EllaC View Post
    Which types would find learning to drive most difficult? And why?
    I'd guess N types would have a more difficult time than S types since driving is something that relies on attention to your surroundings combined with motor skill movements in controlling the movement of the car. Also N types are more likely to be daydreaming and stuff and not paying immediate attention to what's on the road. That could have detrimental consequences.

I remember learning how to drive. It took me longer to master driving than most of my peers although I did pass (barely) the driving portion of the test on the first try. However to this day, I still suck at parallel parking and avoid it when I can.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if it's type related, but my EII sister took that test like 4 or 5 times before she passed. I can't believe how much trouble she had.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    Don't know if it's type related, but my EII sister took that test like 4 or 5 times before she passed. I can't believe how much trouble she had.
    I could see how an EII would struggle with a driving test, having PoLR. I also have PoLR and I think the only reason why I passed it on my first try was because I practiced so much before taking the test. Most of my peers didn't practice as much beforehand as I did. Some still passed with flying colors but others failed not because they lack natural skill in driving but because they got cocky and overconfident.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could be more connected to rationality than type per se. irrationals overall i think cope better with the unexpected in driving situations. statics might take more risks than dynamics, since they might see objects more singularly or more stationary.

i had an easy time learning to drive and passed my driving test on the first try. never had any trouble with parallel parking even in NYC, where i grew up. at the age of 20 taught myself to drive a standard shift. a lot of my female friends had trouble passing the test on the first try. one that stands out is an EIE.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm driving alone since I was 10-11, so it isn't a problem for me. I remember the car being bigger than me, and me not seeing anything, but still be able to drive it gooood

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't really have any trouble learning to drive, passed at first try with only a few lessons, but I'm not a "good" driver either - I'm a "boring" driver, rather safe, I think my S friends tend to speed much more.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I passed easily on my first try. I got a B+, but only because I'd forgotten to check the gas gauge before we left and we had to stop at a gas station.

But I don't think I'm a very good driver. I'm not attentive enough.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read this article a while back (Bad Driving May Have Genetic Basis, Study Finds) and found it interesting in terms of driving.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I could see how an EII would struggle with a driving test, having PoLR. I also have PoLR and I think the only reason why I passed it on my first try was because I practiced so much before taking the test. Most of my peers didn't practice as much beforehand as I did. Some still passed with flying colors but others failed not because they lack natural skill in driving but because they got cocky and overconfident.
    Yeah, I have to say I find driving stressful because it mainly involves using - spatial awareness, etc.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It was a nightmare with my father and I; he is ISTp and I am INFj. I failed the driving test twice in months after one another because both times I nearly hit a car and couldn't figure out which car was coming from what direction and how to react to the situations simultaneously. My father took me practicing much more then my brother who is about two years younger then me and was learning at the same time that I was. He learned so fast (SLI type); my dad's last shot with me was taking me to the busiest street in LA and having me have a last shot at it; it was absolute nightmare; I drove so slowly and got so many honks. I passed at the third try because my tester was hung over and seemed out of it. But, I practiced a lot after and had so many screeches on the freeway that I had to commit to learn to be very conscious when driving.

I use geometry when parrellel parking; I measure in my mind the space between the parallel car and I and at what angle I will have to turn the wheels to make a perfect park and I am good at doing that.

I am a perfectly slow and cautious driver now and, knock on wood, have never hit anyone yet. Mostly, because I highly value human life and hitting someone and causing hurt would sit on my conscious very heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    Read my message above. Can you believe it now?
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I didn't really have any trouble learning to drive, passed at first try with only a few lessons, but I'm not a "good" driver either - I'm a "boring" driver, rather safe, I think my S friends tend to speed much more.
    I'd classify myself as a "boring" driver as well, but I speed all the time. Well, not excessively, but I still consider myself a good driver. Better than pretty much most that I know. I'm a horrible passenger, I don't backseat drive I just hate not driving myself. Also, I think I have a tendency to get car sick, but I never noticed this until I started riding with other people more often, so maybe this is why I prefer to drive (I'm focused on driving, and not getting sick).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say I'm a good driver and people have told me that. It wasn't easy to learn because I learned from an INTj who spoke too slowly "Make a right turn at....at.........(pause to think)...at...." (and by then of course I didn't have time to slow down and had missed the turn). Mixed with "You have several tons of material here in your hands that you can easily kill people with." Followed by long lecture on the origins of driving starting in historical times.

The combination completely freaked me out and I have no idea how I managed to learn at all.

But I really don't like to drive though. I am easily distracted and prefer to zone out, so I have to consciously force myself to pay attention. I also never practiced parallel parking enough. So I do prefer someone else (such as an ISTp) drive whenever possible

I'm also a "worst case scenario" driver, so I'm always considering what could happen. "That car is slowly merging over in this direction, I bet he's going to change lanes, so I better leave some room because I don't think he saw me." etc. I think that's why I had no accidents. Or, "I wonder if there could be some little kid or car I don't see when I'm backing up (so continue to check in a paranoid way)"

I also think hormones affect driving. So girls w/ lower girly hormones may be better drivers I think. I notice with myself, I'm usually excellent, but when you have more estrogen at certain times of the month it can actually mess w/ your depth perception. There were times I actually didn't drive because my depth perception was all but gone (you know those days you find yourself walking into doors or accidentally hitting yourself on something?) that hormone crap messes w/ your driving as well.

This is why I'm glad I live in a place I don't have to drive. Thankfully.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    could be more connected to rationality than type per se. irrationals overall i think cope better with the unexpected in driving situations. statics might take more risks than dynamics, since they might see objects more singularly or more stationary.

i had an easy time learning to drive and passed my driving test on the first try. never had any trouble with parallel parking even in NYC, where i grew up. at the age of 20 taught myself to drive a standard shift. a lot of my female friends had trouble passing the test on the first try. one that stands out is an EIE.
    I think I agree with this! Either that or it's not type related. My ESE husband failed his first driving test (and he's never failed any other sort of test in his entire life. you don't even wanna know how good his LSAT and GRE scores were) but I passed mine, easily. Plus I learned a stick shift easily and I had to teach my husband when we were dating and it took him a couple of years to get the hang of it. That said, the best driver I know is SLE.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Say View Post
    I'd classify myself as a "boring" driver as well, but I speed all the time. Well, not excessively, but I still consider myself a good driver. Better than pretty much most that I know. I'm a horrible passenger, I don't backseat drive I just hate not driving myself.
    this.

most of my friends are speed demons or aggressive drivers which really stresses me out and makes me white knuckle the whole time that I'm riding with them.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I failed my driver's test twice, although I failed on a technicality the second time
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    I failed my driver's test twice, although I failed on a technicality the second time
    Me too, although I felt that the reason for my second failing was bullshit

I consider myself to be a pretty careful driver, haven't had an accident yet in the two years since having my license. It's really more a matter of experience/confidence than anything else socionics-related I think.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm an N and I'm prone to speeding. I don't grossly exceed the speed limit but I'm almost always a few mph over it. When I was younger I wasn't particularly a safe driver either. I'd drive in bad weather conditions when others would stay home. I'd follow others too close. I also sped alot more back then and got a couple of tickets. I do think some of this is related to weak I did get into a couple of accidents. I rear ended someone twice. Luckily they were both minor accidents and no one was injured although my insurance rate shot up afterwards. I'm alot more cautious now since I have more expereince under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Say View Post
    I'd classify myself as a "boring" driver as well, but I speed all the time. Well, not excessively, but I still consider myself a good driver. Better than pretty much most that I know. I'm a horrible passenger, I don't backseat drive I just hate not driving myself. Also, I think I have a tendency to get car sick, but I never noticed this until I started riding with other people more often, so maybe this is why I prefer to drive (I'm focused on driving, and not getting sick).
    I don't backseat drive but my mom does so whenever we go somewhere together, I always let her drive. I hardly ever get carsick. I remember on long trips being able to read in the car practically the whole way and people wondered how I could possibily do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    But I really don't like to drive though. I am easily distracted and prefer to zone out, so I have to consciously force myself to pay attention. I also never practiced parallel parking enough. So I do prefer someone else (such as an ISTp) drive whenever possible

I'm also a "worst case scenario" driver, so I'm always considering what could happen. "That car is slowly merging over in this direction, I bet he's going to change lanes, so I better leave some room because I don't think he saw me." etc. I think that's why I had no accidents. Or, "I wonder if there could be some little kid or car I don't see when I'm backing up (so continue to check in a paranoid way)"

This is why I'm glad I live in a place I don't have to drive. Thankfully.
    I don't enjoy driving much either. I need to have some kind of diversion while driving. I need to listen to a good audiobook, or good music, or have an interesting conversation if I have a passenger, or have some interesting scenery on the way.

My mother is a worst case scenario driver whereas I've tended towards not being cautious enough. Which is odd because I'm very much the play it safe type in most other realms of life.

I know I'm not a good driver. I've read a study where most people, around 90% or so rated themselves as above average drivers. I admit I'm probably worse than average in driving but when I was younger, I was among the 90% who rated myself good in spite of having a couple of accidents and tickets.

There is limited public transporation where I live, otherwise I'd seriously consider ditching my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    What was that technicality?

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't look one time while going through an uncontrolled intersection.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol I'm 26 and I still don't have my driver's license. cars and sammy aren't mix-y things. I might give it another chance, but honestly it's a lot of psychological energy and it's very frustrating for me.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I also do this. Moreoever, whenever I'm speeding a bit (say, when it's night and the road is empty), I will automatically start thinking about my bleeding corpse trapped inside my wrecked car, with mutilated arms and brain falling out of the skull. It's weird, because usually I'm NOT a safe person.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ???
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im learning to drive now, ive only had about 5hrs practice, but im finding i accidentally speed when i get distracted by thoughts :/ my friend reminds me to slow down. haha quite funny, but im an ok driver, but it is a bit hard learning and being on top of everything, especially since i'd prefer to drive on an abandoned highway where theres no cars, only me..
    p.s. im an intuitive type

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    ... the best driver I know is SLE.
    Yes, Ti-ESTp

Fernando Alonso

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Failed my license three times before I got it. I don't think I'm a bad driver though. :-p The first time I failed, the instructor told me to go the wrong way down a one-way street. Dammit .. I was nervous already - I'm not expecting to be tricked! :-p Other times were for stupid technicalities ... Idk - I looked about 12 at the time - probably had something to do with it.

My ILI cousin has never been able to get her license. Funny, because she's really smart - she's tried tons of times. Everyone says she's really scary to drive with because of unawareness or something.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Creepy-bg

I passed on my first try with 1 mark off from a perfect score. But then I always get scores like on any test that I take.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I passed on my first try with 1 mark off from a perfect score. But then I always get scores like on any test that I take.
    Showoff. I usually do too :-p, so I started blubbering in the test center. Probably didn't help my case in terms of maturity and all that.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran a couple of high school kids off the road today, pedestrians. It was in jest though.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Showoff. I usually do too :-p, so I started blubbering in the test center. Probably didn't help my case in terms of maturity and all that.
    that's hot.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Khola View Post
    I ran a couple of high school kids off the road today, pedestrians.
    that's hot.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attn: Autopilot BG has been turned on.

Creepy-bg

Attn: Autopilot BG has been turned on.
    that's hot.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's hot.
    What about this?

Creepy-bg

What about this?

enough with the monkey business.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enough with the monkey business.
    that's hot

Creepy-bg

that's hot
    Last edited by bg; 05-10-2010 at 12:08 PM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I'd guess N types would have a more difficult time than S types since driving is something that relies on attention to your surroundings combined with motor skill movements in controlling the movement of the car. Also N types are more likely to be daydreaming and stuff and not paying immediate attention to what's on the road. That could have detrimental consequences.

I remember learning how to drive. It took me longer to master driving than most of my peers although I did pass (barely) the driving portion of the test on the first try. However to this day, I still suck at parallel parking and avoid it when I can.
    I think you're onto something here
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    It was a nightmare with my father and I; he is ISTp and I am INFj. I failed the driving test twice in months after one another because both times I nearly hit a car and couldn't figure out which car was coming from what direction and how to react to the situations simultaneously. My father took me practicing much more then my brother who is about two years younger then me and was learning at the same time that I was. He learned so fast (SLI type); my dad's last shot with me was taking me to the busiest street in LA and having me have a last shot at it; it was absolute nightmare; I drove so slowly and got so many honks. I passed at the third try because my tester was hung over and seemed out of it. But, I practiced a lot after and had so many screeches on the freeway that I had to commit to learn to be very conscious when driving.

I use geometry when parrellel parking; I measure in my mind the space between the parallel car and I and at what angle I will have to turn the wheels to make a perfect park and I am good at doing that.
    My EII sister does this, and thus, she passed on her first try. She was a lot more tolerant of my SEE or ESI mother who would try to "teach us" but was VERY difficult to deal with (Criticisms were very Fi and Se driven, and at times she would get physical). I mean, my sister would still suffer but she suffered in silence and would just cry. I would get into really bad arguments with her and eventually just refused to take it anymore.

So, myself--I failed the first time because i wasn't able to parallel park. Then found a testing site that didn't require parallel parking, but failed because right at the outset didn't see a cone that was dividing 2 lanes in the parking lot. Then gave up for a little while, spent about a year not driving. Finally took a one-on-one driving course through a driving school, and the lady EXPLAINED to me how to to the parallel parking (nobody ever did before). She was really nice and patient. I went in for my 3rd try, remembering all the mistakes i'd made before, and i PASSED!

That said, I have a tendency to not be attentive, but it's my fear of running someone over or causing an accident and hurting someone that keeps me hypervigilant and careful when i'm driving, just like Maritsa said below. I'd never forgive myself. It DOES make driving a relatively stressful experience though, and I would LOVE it when I meet someone who can take over that duty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33
    I am a perfectly slow and cautious driver now and, knock on wood, have never hit anyone yet. Mostly, because I highly value human life and hitting someone and causing hurt would sit on my conscious very heavily.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SAME to everything above especially bold!!
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Forgive me if I say sth stupid, but ...are we talking about "driving=skill" or "driving=obeying the traffic rules"? There are two different verbs in Spanish for "to drive": "conducir" (manipulating the brakes, the steering wheel, etc) and "circular" (being a part of a traffic flow, a set of vehicles).
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking we were talking about skill overall but also not just obeying the rules but manipulating them without getting caught. And navigating one's way around other vehicles safely to get from one place to another, enjoyably and efficiently.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast