Thread: Humor of the elements

Creepy-male

Default Humor of the elements

How does each element look when it's being used to generate humor?

EDIT

Here's what I think:

Ne: Humor comes from saying one thing, and meaning another--and having the subtext recognised. Or, spouting nonsense, and having the fact that it's nonsense recognised. Think of Borat.

Fe: Humor comes entirely from delivery. The material itself can be nonsensical, like running up to someone, jumping next to them, and yelling out "DID SOMEBODY ORDER A LARGE HAM?!" Think of Bill Cosby's "Dentists" routine. Or, better yet, just think of Bill Cosby.

Si: At least one element seems to be building humor around senses. Think of Andy Kaufman and his mockery of Texas.

Ni: Making random connections between things. "Life is like a bowl of tomatoes. At some point, everything in it was picked beforehand." I don't know if that example counts, nor do I know of any examples. I think the underlying idea is an inflated idea of absurdity. Niffweed's posts come to mind (and for the love of God don't turn this into a type discussion).

Te: Deadpanning, maybe? I'm not sure how this would be differentiated from Ne. I can only think of Expat's examples right now, and I'm not sure if LSEs can even feel emotions, so I don't know if they can joke.
    Last edited by male; 07-02-2009 at 08:50 AM.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

humor? Maybe some too. I think the guy is xLE but definitely valuing:

"Would you bang that girl over there? *I look where he's pointing and laugh since it's obvious he's not serious* Do not save the whales, Adam."

"Man, I would have sex with the wall you just built quicker than half the women in this building right now. And I would call it the next day."

"You know why I go to the gym? Hot moms. It's just that off chance that one day one will walk up to me and say, "Let's hook up in the locker room." Heeeeell yeeeeeah!"

"I can respect Biff again. He just walked past that one guy that's lazy as fuck and shoved a bag full force BAM *motions* across the belt straight into his nuts. Coolest thing he ever did."

"Getting knocked out isn't so bad. One time me and my friend were drunk and I was like, "Let's box" and he punched me straight in the face. I just sort of fell over and woke up the next day and couldn't remember going to sleep."

"We share an alcoholic bond."

"Dude! That box was THIS close to ending your life. AWESOME! Total matrix shit. I was all slow motion, "NOOOOOOO."
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te humor is like finding the stupidity or oddity in trends of past or present, like when someone has the advantage and they still totally blow it because of sudden factors or problems. Idiots!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Te humor is like finding the stupidity or oddity in trends of past or present, like when someone has the advantage and they still totally blow it because of sudden factors or problems. Idiots!
    My LSE SO & I spend a lot of time doing this. We're also constantly doing things to make the other laugh, but I'm not sure how to generalize.

I know my humor threshold goes down the more tired I am; often as I'm drifting off to sleep he'll say something and I'll start giggling and he'll be like "It wasn't THAT funny," and I just laugh harder. Also, he thinks it's hilarious when I react to my hypersensitivity, and so he's taken up licking me. Ew!

Last night I was lying on my side and he snuggled up to me and licked my shoulder blade. When I didn't react, he rolled away, and I simply rolled onto my back and let the sheet dry me off. As soon as I got back onto my side, he licked me again, and I dried off again. It happened a third time, and this time when I rolled onto my back, the sheet was too damp to dry me, so I said, "Goddammit, Jon, now I have to sleep in the wet spot and we didn't even have sex!" He started off with an evil laugh, but since I kept giggling almost deliriously (I was reeeeeally tired), the Muah-ha-has turned into giggling in kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ti: Pushing things to their absurd logical conclusions.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Ne: Humor comes from saying one thing, and meaning another--and having the subtext recognised. Or, spouting nonsense, and having the fact that it's nonsense recognised. Think of Borat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Ti: Pushing things to their absurd logical conclusions.
    These 2 basically describe my humor. I can't stand Borat though.

I'd add to Ti: Generally summarizing someone's comments or behaviors in a humorous light (I guess that's combined with Ne though).

My thoughts on some of the others:

Si: Directly correlated to senses. Making others experience or imagine weird or unpleasant sensations, etc. seems to amuse them.

Fe: Is there Fe humor? I know they try to exaggerate emotions a lot to produce an effect in others, but I don't think they have a specific genre. I suppose it is all in the delivery as Gul says, although the ham thing seems Ne and cosby doesn't seem Fe.
    edit: on further speculation I think it is actually people's emotions/reactions/intonations/behavior in various situations that Fe types find humorous.

The following are just my speculation since I don't really "get" their humor:

Se: Maybe forcing people to do stupid/goofy things?

Ni: no idea

Te: The mocking inefficient behavior seems true

Fi: Are these the people who will fight/act negatively towards close friends or significant others because they both know the true underlying relationship?
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Not really sure how that applies to Ni. If someone observes trends of past, then it could be related to Ni, but Te humor seems based more on stupidity or oddity. Is that what you're getting at?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really sure how that applies to Ni. If someone observes trends of past, then it could be related to Ni, but Te humor seems based more on stupidity or oddity. Is that what you're getting at?
    No, what I'm getting at is simply that trends of past, present, and future deal with Ni. So most likely what you are seeing is Ni + Te sort of humor, but it is still mostly tied to Ni and not Te.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure but if it's a trend of time, then it may likely associate with Ni because it fits with a Te ego. However if it deals with the present, it is less likely associative with Ni and more likely associative with Si. There is no rule for this however.

I believe the understanding I gave associates with Te and not Ni, and it reflects other's understanding of this type of humor.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure but if it's a trend of time, then it may likely associate with Ni because it fits with a Te ego. However if it deals with the present, it is less likely associative with Ni and more likely associative with Si. There is no rule for this however.

I believe the understanding I gave associates with Te and not Ni, and it reflects other's understanding of this type of humor.
    So how is that sort of humor actually tied into Te as an information element?
    Johari Box

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're wrong when it comes to Si humor. It's obvious that you simply extrapolated the theory with no evidence whatsoever from real-world observation.

If anything, I think it works on pairs, such as "Ne/Si humor", "Te/Fi humor", etc.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once made my friend believe that the drink I gave her to drink is alcohol : D Later she kept acting like she is drunk. HELLLA FUNNY !

I don't really tell jokes mostly I do things and trick people so later everyone could laugh about it.

My SLI friend when she sees some old, used shoe, T-Shirt watever laying on the street often asks people around her "Maybe you need a shoe/T-shirt?" and points at it....: D

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My humor with people I like consists of conceptual word play(Ne), contradiction(Ti), a lot of joke related to past shared(Fe) experiences(Si) and general corny fun making(Fe).

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarinana View Post
    My SLI friend when she sees some old, used shoe, T-Shirt watever laying on the street often asks people around her "Maybe you need a shoe/T-shirt?" and points at it....: D
    Lol for real. People don't get much nicer than that.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    My humor with people I like consists of conceptual word play(Ne), contradiction(Ti), a lot of joke related to past shared(Fe) experiences(Si) and general corny fun making(Fe).
    Sounds alot my sense of humor. Alpha humor rules.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Sounds alot my sense of humor. Alpha humor rules.
    Rules?

Glad to know you can measure it!

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Rules?

Glad to know you can measure it!
    Keep the alpha humor coming!

Creepy-male

If you say so!

Well, sometimes I feel pensive.

It's easy to come up with puns then! So don't write me off

Hmm, I find that the best come when you deliver a perfect pun--one that fits words down to the letter!

Otherwise I'm stuck with the equally groan-inducing imperfect pun. People often sound me out on that

But that makes me think... is an imperfect pun one that you can keep telling? And a perfect pun something that's already been done?

And then what would that make a pluperfect pun?

EDIT

Deltas seem to love the wordplay.

Am I in de Nile???

MORE EDIT

Ok, time to put that line of puns on ice, and blow over to something cooler!

Ice puns! Hehe, these will freeze you dead in your tracks

If you "wind" me up, then it's a hurricane of puns, yeah? When you see my eyes frost over, then I'm about to unleash a blizzard! Bam!

Call me Katrina, please! Ooooh, too soon? Maybe that landfell flat. Sorry.

But hey--look at it this way! If you're head's spinning, it's working. I deliver these puns with gusto!

FURTHER EDIT

I guess you could say... I'm not pulling my punches!

If nothing else, I have punache!

It's a pundemic!

Do you know where I come from? A landmass--"pungaea".

Sometimes people resort to physical violence. They call me a punk and sock me.

But do I feel punsive? Aw hell no!

And speaking of socks... it's your fault! You let a classier friend shoes the location next time!

Bam! I got soul!

AGAIN EDIT

And speaking of soul...

Fish puns are a stable perch!

If I'm floundering, I know I can return to my home bass here.

Hehe. I deliver these with enough precision to rival a sturgeon.

Thankyou, thankyou! I'll be here 'til Thursday!

*bow*
    Last edited by male; 07-10-2009 at 02:51 PM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Life is like a box of unsharpened pencils. POINTLESS.

Creepy-male

Haha, you really sharpened that one down! So precise!

I guess I go for more of a spam angle. But perhaps mine is meatier And more post-cise? I dunno!

EDIT

Come to think of it, spam has ham in it, yes?

I'd say, rather than meatier, I'm just more able to ham it up!