TIM
    LII? ILE? Help!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is my type??

Most esteemed personality type junkies, I have a dilemma:

On nearly every online MBTI test I have routinely been typed as an INTJ, which I gather is the LII equivalent. But now I have begun to question this, because my crazy, scheming side seems to be more in line with an ENTP (ILE).

I am the sort of person who is interested in everything, and I take steps to pursue those interests: by way of example, I have a Newtonian reflector in my living room, a microscope in the library, a digital SLR, a kayak, spelunking equipment, oil paints and canvases, backpacking and mountaineering gear... I built my own bar in the basement using no plans, complete with real rock facade (no masonry experience at all), in high school I built an elaborate N-scale model railroad mimicking the Emyn Muil of Middle Earth. I built a metal lightsaber model when I was in middle school. I also focused most of my time in high school on how to take over the world rather than my studies, and still finished in the top 20 of a class of 350 or so.

Socially, however, I have always been extremely reserved around strangers, in particular among the hoi poloi (plebs, in case you don't know Greek) and people that I find too "muggle-ish." Certain personality types shut me down entirely, even when I enjoy their company- I suppose I find that there is little I can contribute to the facts/wisdom they are babbling about, or sometimes, it is just that I cannot get a word in edgewise.

So I am reserved and quiet, but I also have a zany, crazy side that comes out when I am excited and in the right company. I am extremely intuitive- I cannot stand people who need to map out a thought process, (the answer is obvious, and yes, here is the process if you need it mapped out, but I saw it instantly and did not waste further time on it- that sort of person). I have a tendency to let my personal effects get extremely cluttered, but I have a vague sense of what is pending and urgent, and am only late paying bills maybe 30% of the time. But then again, I have a love for order and cleanliness as well, but generally I have moments of enthusiasm for re-organizing and systematizing that quickly fall back to chaos again.

I enjoy philosophy, but not academia in the sense of rigorous citations and all that nonsense. Masters degree in philosophy, then a law degree. I spent 7 months with a small firm then decided to start my own firm. It's terrifying, but exhilarating.

Not sure if this is enough to accurately type me or not? Please try. Maybe it is classic LII /INTJ, but it seems I am energized by being with people with the same interests and depth.

I think a large part of the problem is that so often these online tests treat the "letters" as the differentiating categories (are you more introverted or extraverted) instead of actually testing the ordering and attitudes of cognitive functions. Social introversion/extraversion seems to me to have little if anything to do with whether my primary cognitive function is oriented outwardly or inwardly, or how/when I am energized or exhausted in the employment of certain cognitive functions.

Anyway, please type me if you can. I can always offer more information if needed.

TIM
    LII? ILE? Help!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your response, Kimuchuu.

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by renaissanceman View Post
    Most esteemed personality type junkies, I have a dilemma:

On nearly every online MBTI test I have routinely been typed as an INTJ, which I gather is the LII equivalent. But now I have begun to question this, because my crazy, scheming side seems to be more in line with an ENTP (ILE).

I am the sort of person who is interested in everything, and I take steps to pursue those interests: by way of example, I have a Newtonian reflector in my living room, a microscope in the library, a digital SLR, a kayak, spelunking equipment, oil paints and canvases, backpacking and mountaineering gear... I built my own bar in the basement using no plans, complete with real rock facade (no masonry experience at all), in high school I built an elaborate N-scale model railroad mimicking the Emyn Muil of Middle Earth. I built a metal lightsaber model when I was in middle school. I also focused most of my time in high school on how to take over the world rather than my studies, and still finished in the top 20 of a class of 350 or so.

Socially, however, I have always been extremely reserved around strangers, in particular among the hoi poloi (plebs, in case you don't know Greek) and people that I find too "muggle-ish." Certain personality types shut me down entirely, even when I enjoy their company- I suppose I find that there is little I can contribute to the facts/wisdom they are babbling about, or sometimes, it is just that I cannot get a word in edgewise.

So I am reserved and quiet, but I also have a zany, crazy side that comes out when I am excited and in the right company. I am extremely intuitive- I cannot stand people who need to map out a thought process, (the answer is obvious, and yes, here is the process if you need it mapped out, but I saw it instantly and did not waste further time on it- that sort of person). I have a tendency to let my personal effects get extremely cluttered, but I have a vague sense of what is pending and urgent, and am only late paying bills maybe 30% of the time. But then again, I have a love for order and cleanliness as well, but generally I have moments of enthusiasm for re-organizing and systematizing that quickly fall back to chaos again.

I enjoy philosophy, but not academia in the sense of rigorous citations and all that nonsense. Masters degree in philosophy, then a law degree. I spent 7 months with a small firm then decided to start my own firm. It's terrifying, but exhilarating.

Not sure if this is enough to accurately type me or not? Please try. Maybe it is classic LII /INTJ, but it seems I am energized by being with people with the same interests and depth.

I think a large part of the problem is that so often these online tests treat the "letters" as the differentiating categories (are you more introverted or extraverted) instead of actually testing the ordering and attitudes of cognitive functions. Social introversion/extraversion seems to me to have little if anything to do with whether my primary cognitive function is oriented outwardly or inwardly, or how/when I am energized or exhausted in the employment of certain cognitive functions.

Anyway, please type me if you can. I can always offer more information if needed.
    You sound like a clear ILE. No LII has energy enough to do what you have done.

Also, the MBTI INTJ has no real equivalent in Socionics. Theoretically, according to function order, they should be ILI/INTps, but that's less than half of the ILI/INTps here type as INTJ. INTJs end up being LIE/ENTj, ILIINTp, ILE/ENTp, LII/INTj, SLE/ESTp, LSI/ISTj, or even SLI/ISTp, AKA every logical type besides LSE/ESTj. Best to disregard MBTI entirely.

bolded=ILE
    Last edited by ghost of forum past; 06-16-2015 at 08:57 PM.