Thread: It's depressing to be an introverted irrational type

Default It's depressing to be an introverted irrational type

apparently, I am according to carl jung "misunderstood" as well as "constantly undervalued by public opinion" I also have a " brusque, repelling demeanour towards the outer world "...explains my life! Anyone else...

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somethingsomething View Post
    apparently, I am according to carl jung "misunderstood" as well as "constantly undervalued by public opinion" I also have a " brusque, repelling demeanour towards the outer world "...explains my life! Anyone else...
    Everyone has issues with their type, it's human nature. You can't really go by Jung's description because he lived in a different time so his portraits are skewed. I rarely go by his descriptions because how he explains is entirely unrealistic and shallow. How old are you? If you are young, it's harder to accept your ego functions, but once you get older they solidify and your ability to use other functions is alot more flexible. Once you get a good grasp of your role function then accepting yourself is much easier.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    Everyone has issues with their type, it's human nature. You can't really go by Jung's description because he lived in a different time so his portraits are skewed. I rarely go by his descriptions because how he explains is entirely unrealistic and shallow. How old are you? If you are young, it's harder to accept your ego functions, but once you get older they solidify and your ability to use other functions is alot more flexible. Once you get a good grasp of your role function then accepting yourself is much easier.
    I'm 21, thanks for the answer.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

People do undervalue us. That's why we need industrial strength therapy to improve our own self-image about ourselves. People will always 'butter up' tough guy objective external real shit and mock, tease make fun of their faggy qualities.

It sucks but you're not alone.

All I know is that I'm not going to hurt myself just because the majority of the world thinks that I should. I am gay and sensitive and beautiful. =)

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Young's descriptions are vey interesting. But of course he has to use generalizations, exaggerations and metafors to be able to describe these things.

But he also says some flattering things about IP types.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Young on Introverted irrational types
    From an extraverted and rationalistic standpoint, such types are indeed the most fruitless of men. But, viewed from a higher standpoint, such men are living evidence of the fact that this rich and varied world with its overflowing and intoxicating life is not purely external, but also exists within. These types are admittedly one sided demonstrations of Nature, but they are an educational experience for the man who refuses to be blinded by the intellectual mode of the day. In their own way, men with such an attitude are educators and promoters of culture. Their life teaches more than their words. From their lives, and not the least from what is just their greatest fault, viz. their incommunicability, we may understand one of the greatest errors of our civilization, that is, the superstitious belief in statement and presentation, the immoderate overprizing of instruction by means of word and method. A child certainly allows himself to be impressed by the grand talk of its parents. But is it really imagined that the child is thereby educated? Actually it is the parents' lives that educate the child -- what they add thereto by word and gesture at best serves only to confuse him. The same holds good for the teacher. But we have such a belief in method that, if only the method be good, the practice of it seems to hallow the teacher. An inferior [p. 513] man is never. a good teacher. But he can conceal his injurious inferiority, which secretly poisons the pupil, behind an excellent method or, an equally brilliant intellectual capacity. Naturally the pupil of riper years desires nothing better than the knowledge of useful methods, because he is already defeated by the general attitude, which believes in the victorious method. He has already learnt that the emptiest head, correctly echoing a method, is the best pupil. His whole environment not only urges but exemplifies the doctrine that all success and happiness are external, and that only the right method is needed to attain the haven of one's desires. Or is the life of his religious instructor likely to demonstrate that happiness which radiates from the treasure of the inner vision? The irrational introverted types are certainly no instructors of a more complete humanity. They lack reason and the ethics of reason, but their lives teach the other possibility, in which our civilization is so deplorably wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I think Young's descriptions are vey interesting. But of course he has to use generalizations, exaggerations and metafors to be able to describe these things.

But he also says some flattering things about IP types.
    Yup, I read that, although it doesn't cheer me up that much.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I am gay and sensitive and beautiful. =)
    Yay! *clap, clap, clap*

B and D, I'm starting to you.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that description was so bad.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are good and bad traits about every single temperament and type out there. It's only depressing to be a particular 'type' if you choose to dwell on the negative aspects rather than the positive. Being an IP type definitely has its challenges, but other temperaments have challenges too, just different ones.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Creepy-male

Yes, EJ must be so challenged by being an efficacious, contributing member of society

I mean I appreciate the gesture, but at the end of the day, whether or not a given temperament or type has to face challenges or what they are is a moot point. IP traits are seen as socially undesirable.

I mean, I'm likely just being bitter here because I've been living with wanting to get out of being "lazy" for so long it's just turned into a cliché that inspires not in the least to change. I get so frustrated with myself for never being able to discipline or improve myself. Maybe that's got nothing to do with being IP, though.

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you think that just because someone is an EJ at they're automatically happy? I've got news for you and don't even need to go too far to find examples. The workaholic EJs, in a blink of their eyes, will realize they're in the last stage of life and might realize they didn't exactly accomplish what they wanted to and hadn't even stopped to smell the roses along the way. And that's it. What then? Yeah IPs can have trouble getting going, but EJs can have trouble stopping, and halfway through life they might not even realize that they're on the wrong course because they never take any time off to stop and reflect. It's not all roses over there in EJ land either.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I didn't explain that well.

IPs can spend a ton of time reflecting and contemplating to the point that they never get around to doing anything. EJs can spend so much time doing that they might never stop to reflect and contemplate, and then not realize they're on the wrong course. An IP might go through life and never really accomplish anything and get depressed, and an EJ might go through life realizing that they worked so hard only to not accomplish what they wanted to and get depressed.

An IP, once in awhile, really needs to stop the endless contemplation and get something accomplished. And an EJ, once in awhile, needs to stop the endless work to contemplate and reflect to make sure they're really and truly on the right course. Both types can get out of balance.

I'm probably one of the most energetic IPs that I know especially compared to some ILI friends of mine. You just have to force yourself to go DO something that you need to get done, because things won't accomplish themselves.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And thus, it may or may not suck to be whatever temperament you happen to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    And thus, it may or may not suck to be whatever temperament you happen to be.
    Make the best of what you have... like MacGyver

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't MacGyver or at least his character an SLI / ISTp?

Creepy-male

lol well if that's an accurate description don't blame jung, if it's an inaccurate description, blame jung, but then realize its fucking inaccurate so you have nothing to worry about!

It's also possible that their is more depth than the jungian model of psychology or that you are mistyped.

However, if you think the jungian model is perfectly accurate and true, and that your typing is completely flawless, and that jungs description fits you like a glove, then well.... basically why are you complaining? What can you do about it?

TIM
    your conflictor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think you can pin how your life is or turns out on your temperament, how your surroundings view or value you has just as much to do with your surroundings as it has do to with you - if you think that's because of your personality type you're not as happy as you should be,you're just using it(your personality type) as a something to pin your misery on the same way hypocondriacs look for diseases in themselves.

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by protoss View Post
    i don't think you can pin how your life is or turns out on your temperament, how your surroundings view or value you has just as much to do with your surroundings as it has do to with you - if you think that's because of your personality type you're not as happy as you should be,you're just using it(your personality type) as a something to pin your misery on the same way hypocondriacs look for diseases in themselves.
    Good point and I agree. I do think that a lot of people end up doing that. They're having issues in their life for whatever reason, explore the personality aspects, realize they're not alone and that other people of the same type might have similar issues and viola, instant scapegoat. I used to post on the MBTI based board INTPcentral a bit and there was waaaay too much of that going on (along with a bunch of groupthink) so I left. I think you ought to be using typology type things to help understand yourself better and what your needs are, and learn to work around your weaknesses or develop them, rather than casting it as a reason for being the way you are and and not doing anything to try to improve yourself.

As if introverted irrational types are fundamentally incapable of leading normal lives.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    I used to post on the MBTI based board INTPcentral a bit and there was waaaay too much of that going on (along with a bunch of groupthink) so I left. I think you ought to be using typology type things to help understand yourself better and what your needs are, and learn to work around your weaknesses or develop them, rather than casting it as a reason for being the way you are and and not doing anything to try to improve yourself...
    I used to go there, don't recall for sure that I ever posted, was on some e-lists too, found them all so repelling. Basically I'm sure THEY all are the reason I eventually found Socionics sites.

------
    BTW It's not depressing to be an introverted irrational type. It's who you are ... you must live with it, accept yourself, and improve your self from there. Make irrational introversion work for you, not you for it. If that makes much sense, great, if not, whatever.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It does suck to be an IP, or maybe just an introvert in general. My normal mode of interaction is to be somewhat reserved and quiet, but i've realised that it doesn't seem to perturb my friends. In some ways it's good as instead of 'having' to interact all the time, I can be rather observant and therefore people don't know whether I agree or disagree with them, if I find them a bit irritating and stuff. As opposed to say for instance an EJ with a more hands on approach to people interaction, you usually know what they're thinking.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck society. what do they know?

answer: NOTHING!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IPs have a strong advantage in academia over EJs. Just sayin'.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    How?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks Arthur View Post
    How?
    Because they're calmer, more patient and generally more attentive to detail. Of course, ceteris paribus.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half of my lecturers/professors are INTps... Their math contraptions are abominable.

Woe is me.

Everybody else uses the excuse that they aren't as motivated and disciplined as EJs. Just sayin'.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Everybody else uses the excuse that they aren't as motivated and disciplined as EJs. Just sayin'.
    I understand, but EJs also need some physical extertion & real-world interaction, which IPs and IJs can go without. Plus, we're more likely to get bored by a very specific subject (well, perhaps INTjs are the most likely IJ type to get bored about details, so this might not be a good objection in this specific case).