Thread: Why do most assume I'm ISFp?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do most assume I'm ISFp?

Removed by User Request
    Last edited by DeleteMePLOX; 01-28-2009 at 05:36 AM.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?! I draw to convey emotion as well, WAY over making something visually appealing. To be honest I'd rather come up with a work that made the viewer feel a strong emotion, even disgust or contempt, than to create some hollow but well positioned "thing". That, to me, is art.

Add to that....I am very VERY stubborn when I want to be and will absolutely not back down no matter what the costs are if I feel strongly opposed to something...I'll damn-near fight to the death, I'm just very tolerant up until that point..

I'm now confused.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiKeba View Post
    ...especially considering how abrasive I can be when pushed, or the fact that I don't bend to the will of others (except in bed, ROFLCOPTOR).

If it's just because I draw cartoons that seems a silly reason, especially considering that I don't draw to create something that's simply visually appealing, I draw to express emotions, ideas or to tell a story. (And before some typical smart ass jumps in to state that all artists draw pictures to convey an idea, it's been claimed more then once at this forum that ISFp artists supposedly focus on creating visually appealing yet hollow works).

I will admit I like good humor and can be very silly, but I don't think those are the only defining traits of an ISFp.
    whateva... I take ya as ISFp cause that's the last type you said you were. if you change it, that's fine by me. It's not like I'll jerk off less because of it or anything

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an example I have on-hand of my work...
    (not finished)

Creepy-bg

lol, interesting way of looking at it
    For years folks pegged me as ISFp and I fought it, I guess I just caved in after awhile and felt I must be ISFp since others know what they're talking about more then I do when it comes to socionics. But I figure that's a rather stupid reason to cave, I mean I'm being typed based off of the few posts I've done around here so nobody is getting the full picture.
    ya I did the same thing... just got sick of people typing me as ISFp so I stopped caring and let them type me. whatever... types don't matter when you have a real personality so I don't worry about it

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Here's an example I have on-hand of my work...
    (not finished)

the caption is creepy... like something my friend would write on her monitor and would keep me from using it.

the heart is cool though

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBH I never understood why a lot of people here automatically assume that ISFp artists draw only to: "make pretties". I think there's something very wrong with that viewpoint, and it's viewpoints like that which draw me the hell away from thinking I could ever be a Si type. Is it simply that ISFps are incredibly misunderstood and are thus simplified down into a stereotype that only fits a small margin of ISFps?
    Haha, I was actually about to suggest that. I think that perhaps we can be so deep and react to/create so many hidden meanings that most people only scrape the surface and come out with a response based around the superficial?

I.E: SEIs are more likely to be one of the much deeper types and because of this the most misundertood and judged in terms of the whole "dumb blonde/superficiality" thing.

I know I say a LOT that gets missed, many hidden multiple meanings in one statement. Even with that picture...

It was about someone that really hurt me and it has three different meanings.
    1 - When does the pain of the heartache stop?
    2 - When can I just die already.
    3 - An anger reaction referring to the image based on something that was very close to the person that hurt me. This person lost a certain animal, and this is not a human heart, but it matches to pretty much exacting degrees the heart of the animal this person lost - a malicious bite back, designed to make this one person experience the pain he caused me once the initial two messages were given. A secret, hidden meaning that only he could be wounded by and understand. (Although he probably didn't, it made it an effective emotional outlet for me, which helped the situation).

Hardly superficial.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's just because I draw cartoons that seems a silly reason, especially considering that I don't draw to create something that's simply visually appealing, I draw to express emotions, ideas or to tell a story. (And before some typical smart ass jumps in to state that all artists draw pictures to convey an idea, it's been claimed more then once at this forum that ISFp artists supposedly focus on creating visually appealing yet hollow works).
    I'm not sure where that's been claimed .. but I think it makes sense that SEIs would use their art to express emotions and so forth. I don't think there would be a point in creating something otherwise. Might as well just hunt for aesthetically-pleasing objects and surround yourself with them like a bowerbird. :-p

Perhaps the "hollow" accusation comes from the fact that I think SEIs can sort of work backwards in the sense that they may not start with a clear idea of what they want to portray. They may just begin with little bits and pieces of unrelated emotions, observations that have individual significance to them. And then they work with these ideas until something pleasing starts to emerge. Or they may just work in a blinkered way - going with what feels or looks right – not worrying about the big picture – trusting that it’s going to turn out well because the individual pieces come from real places and have some sort of connection with each other. And experimenting with different connections, they just know when the right ones come along. Or maybe they do start with some definite, strong emotions that they want to communicate creatively, but aesthetics take precedence over authenticity of expression along the way. :-p And perhaps it's enough for them that they get personal enjoyment out of knowing that their work is embedded with various private feelings etc, or that it has no real meaning whatsoever ... so they're not really that concerned with what meaning people take from it. As long as it “makes sense” as a whole to people and is aesthetically compelling, the rest is not really anyone’s business. :-p I’m not sure why some stranger would want to know my private inspirations anyway. That would be a bit creepy! Hmm - a bit of a "hollow" approach to art perhaps. :-p

This one time, after having given a performance of a piece that was supposed to be rather dark and depressing, this lady was going on to a mutual friend about how she didn’t realise how deeply I felt things. lol She seemed to think that I must have been depressed to convey those sorts of emotions. I found that rather flattering .. because my goal is obviously to make a person believe that the emotions are my own. In reality, I don’t really have to have felt those emotions before – I may just think of someone else’s plight and tune into what that person is feeling. I can see how that could be described as “hollow” in the sense that what I am portraying doesn’t have any real significance to me. Not to say that I may not use art as an outlet for real emotions. Just that I rather pride myself in people not being able to tell what carries real significance and what doesn’t. Let them wonder. :-p I think it’s funny sometimes watching people speculate over the intent of a painting or something .. when most likely the artist was just going “Ooh, a bit of red would look good there” *backs up, squinting*, “need something in this corner to balance things out” etc. :-p

But anyway, to sum up :0, or perhaps to introduce a new point, I think SEIs value the successful conveyance of emotion or a unique idea in their artwork above everything else. Where that emotion or idea may have come from is sort of irrelevant and perhaps embarrassing. Do you like the end result or don't you? As far as technique goes - pfft. Anyone can master an activity given enough time. Actually, this reminds me of a description of an artist in Anna Karenina. The section was quoted in some MBTI book (in describing an ISFP) .. but anyway, I think it's a good example of the sort of attitude an SEI artist might have. The first part about the way he works .. I relate to it a lot in that he’s just going with what he feels is right in the moment, trusting his impulses. The bit of tallow alters the picture, which gives him another perspective … which brings the shopkeeper to mind .. and he knows that he would be perfect, so he puts him in. What’s the significance of the shopkeeper? None. He’s just what happens to work in the picture. I can sort of see how Ni people would be somewhat disgusted by such randomness of method and absence of large pictures and whatnot. :-p But it’s easy to attribute meaning to things, and it’s such a subjective process …. create your own if you want meaning! What do you want with mine? And imo, if there is in fact some sort of deep message, but the art strikes you as bleh, then who cares? Sounds rather callous … but sorry, you can remove yourself from play. Your communication attempts have failed. :-p Shouldn’t art above all else be something that you just know whether you like or not straight away? That just hits you as beautiful or sad or passionate or funny or in some way compelling? If you have to stand there analysing it before you can appreciate it .. seems like it’s already failed. But anyway, here’s the excerpt ..

Never did he work with such fervor and success as when things went ill with him, and especially when he quarreled with his wife. ‘Oh! damn them all!’ he thought as he went on working. He was making a sketch for the figure of a man in a violent rage. A sketch had been made before, but he was dissatisfied with it. ‘No, that one was better...where is it?’ He went back to his wife, and scowling, and not looking at her, asked his eldest little girl, where was that piece of paper he had given them? The paper with the discarded sketch on it was found, but it was dirty, and spotted with candle-grease. Still, he took the sketch, laid it on his table, and, moving a little away, screwing up his eyes, he fell to gazing at it. All at once he smiled and gesticulated gleefully. ‘That’s it! that’s it!’ he said, and, at once picking up the pencil, he began rapidly drawing. The spot of tallow had given the man a new pose. He had sketched this new pose, when all at once he recalled the face of a shopkeeper of whom he had bought cigars, a vigorous face with a prominent chin, and he sketched this very face, this chin on to the figure of the man. He laughed aloud with delight. The figure from a lifeless imagined thing had become living, and such that it could never be changed. That figure lived, and was clearly and unmistakably defined. The sketch might be corrected in accordance with the requirements of the figure, the legs, indeed, could and must be put differently, and the position of the left hand must be quite altered; the hair too might be thrown back. But in making these corrections he was not altering the figure but simply getting rid of what concealed the figure. He was, as it were, stripping off the wrappings which hindered it from being distinctly seen. Each new feature only brought out the whole figure in all its force and vigor, as it had suddenly come to him from the spot of tallow.
    And this, re technique ..
    ‘Yes, yes, marvelous!’ Golenishtchev and Anna assented. In spite of the excited condition in which he was, the sentence about technique had sent a pang to Mihailov’s heart, and looking angrily at Vronsky he suddenly scowled. He had often heard this word technique, and was utterly unable to understand what was understood by it. He knew that by this term was understood a mechanical facility for painting or drawing,entirely apart from its subject. He had noticed often that even in actual praise technique was opposed to essential quality, as though one could paint well something that was bad. He knew that a great deal of attention and care was necessary in taking off the coverings, to avoid injuring the creation itself, and to take off all the coverings; but there was no art of painting—no technique of any sort—about it. If to a little child or to his cook were revealed what he saw, it or she would have been able to peel the wrappings off what was seen. And the most experienced and adroit painter could not by mere mechanical facility paint anything if the lines of the subject were not revealed to him first. Besides, he saw that if it came to talking about technique, it was impossible to praise him for it. In all he had painted and repainted he saw faults that hurt his eyes, coming from want of care in taking off the wrappings— faults he could not correct now without spoiling the whole. And in almost all the figures and faces he saw, too, remnants of the wrappings not perfectly removed that spoiled the picture.
    lol erm :0 ... so do you relate, Chibikeba?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Perhaps the "hollow" accusation comes from the fact that I think SEIs can sort of work backwards in the sense that they may not start with a clear idea of what they want to portray. They may just begin with little bits and pieces of unrelated emotions, observations that have individual significance to them. And then they work with these ideas until something pleasing starts to emerge. Or they may just work in a blinkered way - going with what feels or looks right – not worrying about the big picture – trusting that it’s going to turn out well because the individual pieces come from real places and have some sort of connection with each other. And experimenting with different connections, they just know when the right ones come along. Or maybe they do start with some definite, strong emotions that they want to communicate creatively, but aesthetics take precedence over authenticity of expression along the way. :-p And perhaps it's enough for them that they get personal enjoyment out of knowing that their work is embedded with various private feelings etc, or that it has no real meaning whatsoever ... so they're not really that concerned with what meaning people take from it. As long as it “makes sense” as a whole to people and is aesthetically compelling, the rest is not really anyone’s business. :-p I’m not sure why some stranger would want to know my private inspirations anyway. That would be a bit creepy! Hmm - a bit of a "hollow" approach to art perhaps. :-p
    I really, really like this. I very, very rarely create anything for the sake of art, but I like being a spectator to it, and this perspective appeals to me. There's an awesome quote from Samuel R. Delaney's Dhalgren that I liked so much that I wrote down, but now I don't know where it is. It went something like this:

"The artist produces something - a painting, a sculpture, a piece of music - and the audience submits themselves to it. But it's a very modern, not to mention vulgar, idea that the spectator's reaction should resemble, or even necessarily have anything to do with, the artist's."

I need to find the actual quote. Delaney put it much better than I paraphrased above. And when I later came across Ouspensky writing about Gurdjieff's ideas, which include the conviction that "true" art conveys a very specific and unalterable meaning, I was repelled by the notion. Gurdjieff and his students visited several sites of antiquity, such as the Sphinx, and according to Ouspensky, everyone "knew" what the Sphinx "meant." Furthermore, G implied that if someone went to the Sphinx and found any other meaning, then there was something wrong/deficient about that person. I think that's bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    "The artist produces something - a painting, a sculpture, a piece of music - and the audience submits themselves to it. But it's a very modern, not to mention vulgar, idea that the spectator's reaction should resemble, or even necessarily have anything to do with, the artist's."

Ahhh..the diegetic effect - the suspension of one's emotions and beliefs from reality

<3

I have studied this.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    Ahhh..the diegetic effect - the suspension of one's emotions and beliefs from reality
    What's that about?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    sometimes I wish I was ISFp, just to get out of this vortex hellhole.

... maybe I just need a dual
    *Thwack*
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't make art, so I feel left out. I suck at drawing incredibly. I also don't have the patience to draw anything. I like art a lot, but I don't draw.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ISFp friend just draws cartoons and things of his son just for the fun of it. If i tell him to draw a picture of a woman with a penis he will without hesitation. Whoever said ISFp's only draw to create something beautiful is full of it.

You are very ISFp its just obvious. The art is a clear connection, but also ive seen your deviant art page and you love saying things like ROFLCOPTER etc etc which is very ISFp. Also you can be bitchy at times which does fit with many ive known
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random quotes FTW:
    "who the fuck are you?"
    "you're a bit emotionally angsty and self deprecating."
    "you can be bitchy at times."
    "If you're nonexistant, the forum would be the same to me without you. ChibiKeba - Nonexistant.
    The fact that you seem to think the context of such remarks is irrelevant makes me think you don't value Fe :-p. Or Alpha Fe at any rate. Idk.. Anyway, my personal impression is that you're SEE.