Thread: The 16 Stages of Ego Development

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb The 16 Stages of Ego Development

I'm trying to establish a model in which, instead of typing people, we assess the level of functioning of people, which can change over life, usually increasing.

I mean, these levels can be encountered on all types.

This model is inspired from :

- Chris Cowan's Spiral Dynamics
    - Yacov Feldman's Level Theory
    - Yermak's Functional Dimensionality (dimensions themselves, not functions)
    - Morler's Emotional Maturity Levels
    - Riso & Hudson's Functioniong Levels

First, let's explain relations :

Code:
         S. D.   FELDMAN   MORLER        DIM.*   R&H

01   AN      Level 1   Psychosis     Ex.g    Lv 9
    02   AN/bo   Level 1        Lv 1     Ex.l    Lv 8
    03   BO/an   Level 2   Low  Lv 2     Ex*g    Lv 7
    04   BO/cp   Level 2   High Lv 2     Ex*l    Lv 7
    05   CP/bo   Level 3   Low  Lv 3     Nr.g    Lv 6
    06   CP/dq   Level 3   High Lv 3     Nr.l    Lv 6
    07   DQ/cp   Level 4   Low  Lv 4     Nr*g    Lv 5
    08   DQ/er   Level 4   High Lv 4     Nr*l    Lv 5
    09   ER/dq   Level 5   Low  Lv 5     St.g    Lv 4
    10   ER/fs   Level 5   High Lv 5     St.l    Lv 4
    11   FS/er   Level 6   Low  Lv 6     St*g    Lv 3
    12   FS/gt   Level 6   High Lv 6     St*l    Lv 3
    13   GT/fs   Level 7   Integration   Tm.g    Lv 2
    14   GT/hu   Level 7   Integration   Tm.l    Lv 2
    15   HU/gt   Level 8   Integration   Tm*g    Lv 1
    16   HU      Level 8   Integration   Tm*l    Lv 1

* Modified by myself to fit Model C - see here :
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...0&postcount=20
    I can't explain all stages for now. I just know that they are 16.

For example :

Stage 01 : Individual is very likely to destroy everything, including individual himself. Suicide and heavy criminal behaviours are likely.

Stage 02 : Individual percieves himself as a victim, but is still motivated by his own physiological, periodic, and short-term survival. Suicide and heavy criminal behaviours may occur.

Stage 05 : Individual is likely to be "paranoid", and to oppose to everything, but globally, with global attacks - thinking patterns are like "I have to pay $800 of income penalty because they're not doing their work well"

Stage 06 : Individual is likely to be "rebellious", and to oppose to everything, in a specific manner, with specific attacks - thinking patterns are like "I have to pay $800 of income penalty because the dude/girl who decided so is a fucking bastard"

(I took S05 and S06 from Morler's Levels Chart)

Stage 07 : Does the minimum (work, respect, loyalty) to get by. If low energy level, likely to procrastinate, but complete most imperative duties. Not really interested by anything. Just being docile. If no socially expressive tendencies, likely to be a passive observer rather than participating. May seek to be led, because of lacking of will to lead himself ; individual isn't really dependent though. In social situations, may be a passive conformist.

Stage 08 : Has some distant zeal and interest. Conservative. Courageous, but may lack boldness or self-confidence. Begins to have some distant interest to things. Still seeks to be led, but wants autonomy. Begins to be independent and to lead himself. In social situations, mostly docile, and may play devil's advocate, and to have playful or humorous behaviours. I'm currently at this level for now.

Stage 09 : Has moderate interest to things. Still somewhat conservative, but not very much. Genuine boldness and self-confidence emerges, and courage increases. Able to lead himself and others - not outstandingly, but well. Starts to have win-win thinking. May lack of will to do things. Still interested extrinsically, and does things mainly to maintain status quo.

Most adequate pattern to respond to Stages (to have the most impact to it) :

01 to 02 : Heavy Therapeutic
    03 to 04 : Light Therapeutic
    05 to 06 : Heavy Authoritarian
    07 to 08 : Light Authoritarian
    09 to 10 : Heavy Democratic
    11 to 12 : Light Democratic
    13 to 14 : Heavy Laissez-faire
    15 to 16 : Light Laissez-faire

This explains something already explains by SD. Adequate leadership style depends of the most required by society. Quadra Succession Theory is totally bogus. Laissez-faire is known to be the least efficient leadership style, not because of the nature of Laissez-faire itself, but because of its inadequacy for irresponsible people.

EDIT: CONCRETE EXAMPLE

In France, immigrants of levels 01 to 06 cause problems to society :

- Levels 01 and 02 : Playing victim to be superficially innocent : for example : an immigrant is being arrested by the police while harming people or things, and says : "I didn't do anything, I just went to a friend to get CD's, I'm innocent, I didn't want to be black/arab/gypsy, then why do you arrest me because I am ? Then you're racist".

- Levels 03 and 04 : Manipulating the system, abusing of others' emotional weakness : for example : an immigrant has been arrested by the police while harming people or things, and says : "You're arresting me because I'm black/arab/gypsy, then you're racist".

- Levels 05 and 06 : Overt opposing : for example : an immigrant has been arrested by the police while harming people or things, and says : "You're arresting me because you're a whole bunch of fucking white bastards, and because you hate immigrants, then you're racist".

NB : I'm not a fucking racist, but if you think so, I won't argue with you. It's not funny. If you're a misinformed retard, move on your ass, and see by yourself, instead of being a weak-minded impractical nerd. I don't want to spend my whole life to prove that I'm not racist. I have other things to do.

Links :

Dimensionality : http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Dimensionality http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16804

Spiral Dynamics : http://www.clarewgraves.com/theory_c...uristTable.htm http://www.spiraldynamics.org/aboutsd_overview.htm

Feldman's Levels : http://members.tripod.com/oskolki/ph/e2.html

Morler's Levels : http://www.morler.com/AudioCD_Charts_web.pdf http://lspearmanii.multiply.com/journal/item/52

R&H's Levels : https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/D...mentLevels.asp
    Last edited by machintruc; 02-28-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such stages are relevant to all adaptive complex systems

Evolution of society :

Ex - Decentralised physical (e.g. : Stone Age)
    Nr - Centralised physical (e.g. : communist countries have an unhealthy form of this)
    St - Centralised organic (e.g. : USA, most developed countries)
    Tm - Decentralised organic (e.g. : decentralised P2P)

Piaget Stages :

Ex. - Sensorimotor
    Ex* - Preoperational
    Nr. - Concrete Operational
    Nr* - Formal Operational

Maslow's Needs :

Ex - Survival
    Nr - Security, Belonging
    St - Esteem (from self and others)
    Tm - Self-actualisation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what predictions can you make with this model? i only see the labeling and identification of stages here.

all in all, this is interesting stuff. only thing I can say is it seems the title "the 16 stages of individuation" or maybe even "the 16 stages of progression of the ego" would more accurately describe this idea of yours... since it actually about (in my opinion) arriving at a balance, instead of developing the dominant function (ego) (which would offset the balance).

excellent work.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I'm observing direct correlations between these stages and supersocion traits.

Stage 1 -> the destroyer type

Stage 5 -> the objectively evil form of the conflictor immanent type

Stage 6 -> objectively evil form of the passive immanent type. (people who don't think their ways/ideas can be proven wrong and will resist change even when the need for such is demonstrated and/or they are proven wrong)

Stage 7 -> follower (most people)

Stage 8 -> opinion leader (I'm thinking of changing this to "subjective leader"... but that name's vague)

Stage 9 -> creative leader, bold type

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Interesting. I'm observing direct correlations between these stages and supersocion traits.

Stage 1 -> the destroyer type

Stage 5 -> the objectively evil form of the conflictor immanent type

Stage 6 -> objectively evil form of the passive immanent type. (people who don't think their ways/ideas can be proven wrong and will resist change even when the need for such is demonstrated and/or they are proven wrong)

Stage 7 -> follower (most people)

Stage 8 -> opinion leader (I'm thinking of changing this to "subjective leader"... but that name's vague)

Stage 9 -> creative leader, bold type
    These aren't types, you nerd !

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    These aren't types, you nerd !
    Not as you define them... but what proof do you have that people may change so?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

machintruc, I'm impressed.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    Stage 08 : Has some distant zeal and interest. Conservative. Courageous, but may lack boldness or self-confidence. Begins to have some distant interest to things. Still seeks to be led, but wants autonomy. Begins to be independent and to lead himself. In social situations, mostly docile, and may play devil's advocate, and to have playful or humorous behaviours. I'm currently at this level for now.
    So, how many experience points you still need to get on level 9?
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    So, how many experience points you still need to get on level 9?
    Don't know. These times I can't tell if I'm at L08 or L09.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    does it mean that when you get to higher levels you'll start questioning your religious beliefs as well?

how do you interpret that?

just curious
    I still believe in God.

But, in fact, in transitions between levels, there is some danger. For example, a Catholic-like conservative L08 man may turn to a L09 apostate, by feeling that religion isn't "proactive". But not directly because of religion, but of conservatism itself. In fact, L07 and L08 are the "conservative" levels.

But, if you REALLY believe in God, you can still be L16 and believe in God.