Thread: Identifying Si Egos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Identifying Si Egos

I suspect that I have a good understanding of Si, and can notice its use in myself fairly easily. However, I either have difficulty recognizing it in others or know an improbably small number of Si Egos. So, how do Si Egos appear and act?

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew an ISTp who was so laid back, he wore a woven bookbag, slacks, headphones and just casually strode to class at a comfortable pace.

The others I've known all have a distinct style, either appearance or gait or both. They all looked comfortable, with a sense of dress.

I've only known one, maybe two SEIs. Nothing much to tell. I'm thinking ISFps are more like INFps than ISTps from a distance.

Overall I think you check for the IP temperament + sensuality. They like to move in your personal space and affect the vibes.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Overall I think you check for the IP temperament + sensuality. They like to move in your personal space and affect the vibes.
    Ni-types keep the distance a bit more, then? Related to weak Se, perhaps?
    4w5 sp/sx

Please, direct all questioning of my self-typing to this thread. Thank you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Si bases I've known tend to talk about the weather and their own personal comfort. They care about things like coziness and reeeeally enjoy their food. If you hear someone moaning about how good their meal is, most likely it's ISFp. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    Ni-types keep the distance a bit more, then? Related to weak Se, perhaps?
    I do at least. I need a field of vision, plus I'm not too comfortable getting close with anyone. Has to be someone of affection.

But yeah, types want to be right in your face pretty much.

Like I said, "The Snipers".
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ime SLIs aren't "in your face" and they are more likely to be pretty basic with their clothes rather than having some kind of distinctive style. these things might be more often true for SEIs. these obviously aren't hard and fast rules, but i wanted to clarify from my perspective.

Si base types seem to me to very much inhabit their bodies, i think comfortable and relaxed are decent descriptions, but i've known some SLIs to be kinda stiff. i think they are likely to talk about the things around them, like how the room feels, or what the sound coming from the sink might indicate about the plumbing, or how the sound of the wind through the trees gives them goosebumps, etc. etc. its very a present, existing, visceral kind of focus, and a calm, receptive kind of energy. this is my personal experience.

edit: i forgot the thread title. this is (obviously?) about Si base

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are inclined to a simple synthetic reasoning, synthetic rules, like "this implies that". They either know or don't know the causes and effects of things (which interests them), not inclined to to guess (aternatives, possibilities, like Ni types), to speculate over real things. They are very interested in the mandatory (or minimum) requirements of every process, necessities, needs but also consequences - from an arbitrary process, machine, activity to human health (eg. the first to think about the weather when going on a trip, or "did we get enough fuel?", "do we have enough food?"). They're pretty cautious and often warn about direct consequences of actions, too. Si Irrationals often (if not always) develop peculiar habits based on some rules they and no one else relates to (eg one SLI used to not move when loading tape games on Z-80, as vibration was allegedly impeding the loading; a SEI recommends exercise after sitting down, as the blood vessels behind the knee contract).
    ---

About Si.

Some Si reasoning:
    - "no smoke without fire";
    - "loose pram goes downhill";
    - "you can't be strong without eating meat";
    - "how can you be healthy without pillowing?" - this is from Shogun (youtube: Shogun (1980) - "Improving health" offer).

Si information may be both true or false (or uncertain), as you see above. Unlike Te, Si is Fields information, it's fully-encompassing rules, not necessarily reduced to the actual case. Take the above example, "you can't be strong without X" - it means "one can't be strong..." not actually *you*. The latter case would be Te and require that *you* actually experienced weakness excluding meat from your diet. (read the theory for why I'm comparing Si with Te and no other function)

The overwhelming majority of health myths are actually Si-related, including the idea that cold (the disease) is caused by cold temperature/season. That's because they are based on direct experimental association, for instance it's true that cold spreads mostly in cold seasons, however cold weather does not cause the disease itself (it's a virus), but rather by changing human behavioral patterns (it's just one hypothesis).

Note that Si does not directly relate to health and pleasure, nor a Si type has necessarily more interest in such things than others (though often they do). Talking of physical pleasure, Alpha SFs are often interested in it, Delta STs tend to be rather stoical. This is a myth, a stupid one, however most people are justified to make the mistake as many Socionics descriptions make an emphasis on health and comfort describing Si.
    Si may be applied to abstract things as well.
    ---

One of the most funny things related to Si is the belief of people that a hammer would fall faster than a feather on the moon, unless they're aware of the fact of free fall.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an incisive explanation, Bolt. I totally agree.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    The Si bases I've known tend to talk about the weather and their own personal comfort. They care about things like coziness and reeeeally enjoy their food. If you hear someone moaning about how good their meal is, most likely it's ISFp. lol
    Or ISFj! I have the best chats with my ESI mum about food, alcohol, and comfortable clothing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw man, thought it read Identifying Base.

creative is different. The tactics aren't the same.

ESFjs may wear aesthetically provocative clothes. Females.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
    The overwhelming majority of health myths are actually Si-related.
    I like this.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neil DeGrasse Tyson metaphorically (and without knowledge) defined Si information as: "what your grandparents told you". I like that little phrase because it tells the average person more than perhaps hundreds of words of explanation. Interesting is the following too, which tells how these unspecific rules are limited to direct experience:
    When they say "what goes up must come down", this is not true! There's nothing that your grandparents ever threw, that never came down.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    :

Parroting stereotypes.

Drop some knowledge.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's been said so far has been good. It's hard for me to really explain it that well because it comes so naturally to me I don't really even realize it but I guess in relation to other people, I notice...discomfort a lot more. I notice textures and colors and temperatures to an almost uncomfortable degree..a lot more than the average person it seems. A drop in degree, shades of color in the sunset, how amazing something tastes, how distinctly something smells. I'm also very anal about cleanliness. I cannot be around dirty people, just can't. I get sick. I'm squeamish about smells and textures and appearances. I do often talk about my comfort level or lack of...I also tend to talk about appearances a lot and how things make me feel (gross, bright, loud, harsh, pretty, soft). I'm always too damn cold or too damn hot and I can't think and concentrate when things like that are out of wack. Like right now, my laptop is burning my thighs and I'm getting pretty pissed and keep alternating between thinking about what i'm going to type and how hot my thighs are and how gross it smells in this room and how i could really go for a donut right now but can't because I feel fat and hate how they have leather couches in a community internet cafe because um, hello...leather makes you sweat and on a good day the low temp is roughly 105 degrees at night and who knows how many people have sat where i'm sitting right now and i now i have their sweat on my legs and OMG i need to go shower now and take some aspirin for my headache and then go to sleep.

but all of that is usually internal dialogue I have with myself. I tend to be pretty relaxed and laid back about almost everything if I'm in a good mood.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd know a lot about that, with your faux-ILI self.
    Parroting claims.

Drop some evidence.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    ... and who knows how many people have sat where i'm sitting right now and i now i have their sweat on my legs and OMG i need to go shower now and take some aspirin for my headache and then go to sleep.
    LOL!

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

:

the whole "moobs = " formula is forever burnt into my mind...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We already had a thread about this, in which your every orifice was fucked and bled in refutation.
    That's interesting, but I find that I can just go through my day and not worry about it. I don't like to tire myself out making a fuss over something like a child.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you gotta look for people who are knitting, cooking, buying clothes or feeding other people.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must be growing accustomed to getting savagely gangbanged like a good little bitch.
    That's interesting, but I don't like to tire myself out making a fuss over something like a child.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding what Jessica said, keeping in mind how you get dirty or sick, or whatever - how environment affects you - I incline to think that Si types are prone to extremes. In a way. The idea is that they're more genuinely interested in such matters - compared to others who rather use some rules of thumb - than necessarily to keep themselves away from anything unclean. In fact, IMO Si types are the most fit to do cleaning and stuff because they have a sense for these things, whatever they're called. I know quite some like that - an uncle and a friend of mine (SLIs) find funny when someone does not work "hands on", namely get fully involved in the job, be it dirt, farming, or changing the oil in the engine. Btw, my friend is a freelance car (?) mechanic the uncle is also good at these. Unlike their more redneckish peers - some LSEs I know, sometimes ESEs - they don't make a big fuss about "too sensitive" people, but make a joke or an irony.
    Btw, my girlfriend (SEI) calls me "sissy" - the actual English word - from time to time, though I think she's one bigger than me because it's a tragedy when I go outside in my slippers - which is ridiculous, we inhale bacteria and perhap particles of dog shit every second. It doesn't matter, she makes a big deal out of it every time.

Nevertheless, my SLI brother would be more of a "sissy" by the standards of those cowboys, but depends on what we call so. When we were little, if an object fell in goo or something, I used to convince him to pick it up. But touching unusual things, I was sometimes the first to do it, my brother was kinda fearful - perhaps because no one we knew did something similar before - for instance I caught the first snake.

So, I'd conclude Si Egos are not necessarily obsessed by cleaness, but overall visibly more concerned for such things, clean/dirty, physical properties, mechanical/organic how-to's, industrial techniques, health, etc. And they can talk about it in great detail. I know a LSE (medic) who likes to make disgusting jokes.

Talking of LSEs and these matters, I'm immediately thinking of Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs. I think I can find this stereotype in different places, though I don't remember any right now.
    Edit:

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike Rowe is right partly but doesn't offer any solutions and is talking to a Congress I see who is obviously purposely doing this to gain power for the already powerful and wealthy, creating a Oligarchical society. Smart laborers who can do all this stuff aren't see as neccesary and as possible roadblocks to a society of lions and lambs. Mass manufactured ant things are all what is needed to maintain the homeostasis of the powerful. Obviously there is a warning within that its not sustainable, the earth and human infrastructure is collapsing at an accelerating rate, and the powerful cannnot reach a escape velocity without destroying their own creation. Greed and powerlust turn on itself. The star wars metaphor. Obama is the middle man who conceeds enough to keep the system from collapsing and rebelling before the return to sustainable methods becomes inevetable or collapse forces it into so.

"what your grandma told you" is the best metaphor yet for Si to Ni people. Its often the old practices and stuff that are outdated or misplaced for doing certain things especially in todays fast paced world full of new knowledge and practices. Some old bullshit si is contained in religion and stuff like "don't eat pork because its unclean". Things that are no longer relevant because of increased knowledge. However theres often nuggets of truth to be gleaned from these time tested practices that can be applied to the new ways. Becuase inevitably the new ways are always not polished but are neccesary to begin if one is to possibly adapt.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    "what your grandma told you" is the best metaphor yet for Si to Ni people. Its often the old practices and stuff that are outdated or misplaced for doing certain things especially in todays fast paced world full of new knowledge and practices. Some old bullshit si is contained in religion and stuff like "don't eat pork because its unclean". Things that are no longer relevant because of increased knowledge. However theres often nuggets of truth to be gleaned from these time tested practices that can be applied to the new ways. Becuase inevitably the new ways are always not polished but are neccesary to begin if one is to possibly adapt.
    I don't think this is necessarily applicable to any single IE, but I can see how it can manifest differently in each, maybe weak intuition in general and how Ni vs Ne perceive Si vs Se egos.
    From my perspective I've found the exact same frustrations you're describing when dealing with my LSI father and his LSI and EIE religious friends, but I've found him and the other LSI are the most difficult to get through to, it's very much "the bible says this, and so it is" among other things. It's possible that I'm just not able to get through to them because I'm communicating with Ne rather than them just being thick minded.
    In the same sense, I'd think an Ni ego would have a hard time getting though to an Si ego, and thus where all the intertype misunderstanding come into play
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jughead View Post
    Well yeah, but the new ways become the old ways, generations after, right? It's what keeps things working, what glues together the important pieces. In practical terms (basically what applies to 90%+ of our life), most of these things are still true, I mean okay, not *everything* that is thrown upwards will fall down, but practically everything, and certainly everything thrown by conventional means. In fact people don't use Si to understand black holes and metaphysical principles, those are different rules for different purposes.

I'm not sure whether the religious convictions can be put in the same category... maybe when it's taken for granted, not very seriously but as a habit.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah LSI can be retarted like this, the Ne polr is terrible, it works for me to apply pressure or make fun of them in front of a group. Either that or trick them lol. Why isn't george bush a LSI again?