Thread: How logical do you feel compared to other people?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How logical do you feel compared to other people?

Reverse question to bg's other thread.

Go.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Very generally speaking my pervasive attitude is that humans at large are stupid and irrational and should get on my level. But if I consider that for two seconds I remember 1) specific people who are smarter than me and who have taught me things and 2) stupid shit I thought in the past, and how I'll think I used to be stupid in the future. And then I think I'm kind of an asshole lol.
    (But then I think of all the truly dumb assholes who will never question themselves as much as I do...)

I'm kind of conflating logic and intelligence but I'm not sure how to approach the question in a different way. If it's about formal logic, I'm not really interested in it. If it's about critical thinking, I actively try to apply myself and though it doesn't come that naturally I think I'm pretty decent at it and improving. I don't know how to compare these abilities to other people because I feel like I'm in over my head or surrounded by monkeys depending on my environment. Like, social media comments make me feel like a genius.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think I'm a bit more logical than most people, although I know a lot of people who can run logical rings around me.

On the other hand, most people tell me I have all the emotions of a can opener.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hate to compare myself to people in this regard. Sure you might have more insight into some aspects of behaving rationally than other people, but it's more of a distribution where the people that don't have some weird hangup are vanishingly rare. I think it's extremely hard to accurately get a feel for the true depth of your irrationality, especially since it can be situational and you are likely to "logically" assess things through a biased lens in the first place.
    It ends up being an extremely rough assessment.
    Not that I don't call people idiots when I think they're being stubborn for no good reason..

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I think it's extremely hard to accurately get a feel for the true depth of your irrationality, especially since it can be situational and you are likely to "logically" assess things through a biased lens in the first place.
    Yes! I know this is what the "like" button is for, but word. This was in the back of my mind unarticulated.

When I think about it too much i get a little panicky and unreal feeling lol.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Logical enough that I survive and operate in the world well enough, but not so logical that I always let logic get in the way of what feels natural.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than average. I've met a couple of people (one of them was a philosophy major) who could outpace me by miles in constructing/deconstructing logical systems, though.

I owe a lot of my abilities to the people who created an environment that cultivated logical thinking in me.

I agree with @ashlesha that people are largely irrational, but I think that rule applies to me more than I'd like to believe. So much of the human brain is dedicated to what Buddhists call the "monkey mind" or what neurologists call the "reptilian brain", or what Freud called the "Id." Higher level reasoning is practically subordinate to lower level desires. Few people reason to find truth for its own sake; it's hard to survive with such an attitude with so many conflicts of interest present in the world.

TIM
    SLI-H sp/so
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Logical enough to make good decisions that are reasonable from my current standpoint and wise enough to accept my fuck-ups and hopefully learn from them. At work I'm surrounded by people who are more competent and experienced than me (sw-developers). That kind of environment helps keeping my ego in check.
    I like looking back and compare how much I've changed from the mindset I've had a year ago. Realizing my errors in perception and action and some character flaws isn't very flattering but a must.
    I don't know what's going on in other peoples head so my ability to judge is very limited. I can only monitor my own thoughts and be more logical than my past self.

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This depends a lot on what you mean by "logical". There are many different types of logic.

I would rate myself as very logical in the sense that I'm good at both taking a single idea, developing and varying it in a number of ways (A leads to B, C, D, E etc) to build a form, a work, something physical, and I am also good at connecting a number of disparate ideas together (A <-> B <-> C <-> D) into a single, greater whole. I try to create my own rules and manipulate them, see patterns in everything, and can often figure out where something may lead without doing a lot of research. However, I am more vague than I'd like to be, mainly because I can be dismissive of overly facts-based, information heavy reasoning, which I consider to be rigid, boring and inflexible. Walking trivia machines who can't interpret what they read annoy me. Knowledge is not synonymous with intelligence. Alas I often struggle to articulate my ideas to others in words, and want to expand my vocabulary (esp. adjectives) to make it brighter and more vivid.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah clearly more flowery language is whats needed

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    yeah clearly more flowery language is whats needed
    I want to burst into flame, cry out with such passion that the earth around me shakes, and rise.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

trust me, you've achieved flamboyancy

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The power of a statement comes not from its dressings,
    Not from embellishments, vocabulary or prose

The power of a statement comes from its truth,
    standing naked, unashamed and exposed.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well i have more common sense more than other people.

Mathematically speaking above average as well. I'm actually good at logics.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I'm calm and usually reserved I often feel logical and "on top of it" although I know I'm really anything but. I've been put into the position too, of explaining or decoding things for others just due to seeming composed. People think that "quiet and nerdy" = "logical."

It's so, so natural to "intuit" my way around (ppl) though, and when I try to put my environment feelers into logic it takes much more effort. And despite displaying little emotion I often feel bowled over by it, like a stalk of grass flattened by a sudden wind. They can go but when the feelings are there they just arrest you. I feel small and insignificant at times, compared to my feelings which are like a force of nature.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never think about it. This reminds me of a question an ex asked me, she said, 'people know you, you interact, you do stuff but how do you FEEL?' It was a rather terrifying question that shook me. I had no answer but to say, 'I pay my bills, I look after people, what does it matter how I feel?' I couldn't work out if this was normal or I was missing something, as I tend to think I have feelings. I can get angry or sad or bored or happy just like anybody.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Admittedly not great on fundamentalist, ST, pragmatic logic, and the ever vague "common sense". Whatever the fuck that means. Really good at problem solving and have a really good grasp of general logic, although it is not the most important aspect of reality. Imagination >logic>fantasy, although it isn't necessarily hierarchal.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If I were a superhero, I would shoot beams of logic and reason from a ruby located above my third eye.*

*attempt at humor

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I used to think I was super-logical as a child - and as a seven year old compared to everybody else, this was probably true. I tend to think that I must have a justification for everything, and in many cases, I probably have long chains of rationale for what others would consider to be inconsistent or even hypocritical.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not that attracted to solve purely logical puzzles.
    I'm the go to guy to solve all sorts of technical problems and to help to pick up right stuff.
    I can also design some sort of logical structures when needed.
    I also automate problems softwarewise when I find "need".
    I design machines in my head. Hands on stuff requires resources and time.
    Interested to gather information about logical systems also to practice and understand.
    I do things my own way.

BUT
    I'm not that practical.

probs Te>Ti and on scale of 1-10: 8-9.

Dam, I sound like XYZ in socion. (= where X or Y is E in Sol's system)
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My logicalness I think mostly comes from wanting to be fair, right, self-aware and self-controlled, getting to the bottom of everything that doesn't make sense... but I'm not really logical when it comes to learning, curiosity, needing new ideas all the time.

Basically I really am half-assed with the knowledge and expertise side of logic but enjoy killing emotions in favor of reason... well... subdue them for the sake of being perfect and avoid being hurt.

I'm not naturally a logical person but I feel compelled to... I always thought it was just a result of being hand fed Te from an early age and expected to perform as a decent and good human being and not being self-absorbed all the time

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I tend to think that I must have a justification for everything, and in many cases, I probably have long chains of rationale for what others would consider to be inconsistent or even hypocritical.

EII confirmed.

Works for Cognitive styles even if person does not subscribe to it.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think maths is considered to be the most logical subject, but it's the one I have the most difficulty understanding. I tried to teach myself the philosophy of logic, which is probably the purest form of written logic, but my eyes kept glazing over the text. I've never interpreted it as a dig at my intelligence because I can still grasp the individual concepts that comprise certain schools of thought, but I still wouldn't consider myself logical. Average, if anything.