Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another mental illness test for shits and giggles

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another mental illness test for shits and giggles

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/borderline.htm

I will post mine if i feel comfortable depending on your scores.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've mentioned a few times on this forum and in chats that I have been diagnosed as bipolar and borderline (amongst others), and that the diagnosis placed me in the disability category as it is so...there...that it negatively infects my life in numerous areas.

For the test above, even with improvements I've worked hard on, (which reduced how intense I scored), I still got a 36 (33+ is "severe" on the linked test).

However, since learning socionics, much of my answers would be considered natural and normal for NeFi (and other types, of course). So I don't feel so bad about some of my answers.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I've mentioned a few times on this forum and in chats that I have been diagnosed as bipolar and borderline (amongst others), and that the diagnosis placed me in the disability category as it is so...there...that it negatively infects my life in numerous areas.

For the test above, even with improvements I've worked hard on, (which reduced how intense I scored), I still got a 36 (33+ is "severe" on the linked test).

However, since learning socionics, much of my answers would be considered natural and normal for NeFi (and other types, of course). So I don't feel so bad about some of my answers.
    As someone who has been properly diagnosed, do you think that test is a good indication of having that disorder? I realize these tests shouldn't be used to diagnose anyone, but there has to be some truth to it, no?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Results of Your
    Borderline Personality Test

You scored a total of 11
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    As someone who has been properly diagnosed, do you think that test is a good indication of having that disorder? I realize these tests shouldn't be used to diagnose anyone, but there has to be some truth to it, no?
    The test pretty much just went down the list of symptoms. Though the list of symptoms and defining traits are changing in the dsm-v. Here is a page that covers the two so you can see how the wording and criteria has changed: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-in-the-dsm-5

To meet a diagnostic criteria, there has to be so many traits from each section met. Dsm-v will make those easier. As you read the symptoms/traits though, consider how each one might be a descriptor of an aspect of socionics' typing. (Perhaps a bit more extreme than the socionics' stereotype.)

Also, please, if you scored high, beware lumping yourself under the label and then reading the descriptions people give regarding the label. I say this because whatever answers you gave are unique to you, and as such would alter how a "borderline" diagnosis would actually apply to or describe you. (Nothing like people placing assumptions on you based on a label, when those assumptions don't fit the actual criteria that fit you.) ((I hope that made sense.))

If you'd like to discuss your concerns about it in depth, but would prefer it be more private, feel free to pm me. (I know you are smart, I just get concerned with how people view this particular diagnosis. There's a lot of bad descriptions about it, and those can mess with someone's psyche, one's own as well as one's friends/etc.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four.

I think I only got four because I agreed that I tend to space out.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my psychiatrist is pretty good.(I have mild-ish narcissism and severe ADHD)
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The test pretty much just went down the list of symptoms. Though the list of symptoms and defining traits are changing in the dsm-v. Here is a page that covers the two so you can see how the wording and criteria has changed: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-in-the-dsm-5
    After reading this, I feel like it's just a matter of time before it changes again. Borderline seems to have so many different meanings to different people/doctors and for some reason it seems like it can't be pinned down as easily as say, Depression. It's a complicated illness. But that said, I identify with every single thing in the new, updated criteria. What really just shocks me is that they are now saying Borderline can almost be completely cured within X amount of years. Is this something new? Because I surely don't remember reading that it was cureable. If this is a mental disorder, how does one just "get over it". It's all so confusing to me.

And my score from the test I posted was 34.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

After reading this, I feel like it's just a matter of time before it changes again.
    I think these things can fluctuate.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading this, I feel like it's just a matter of time before it changes again. Borderline seems to have so many different meanings to different people/doctors and for some reason it seems like it can't be pinned down as easily as say, Depression. It's a complicated illness. But that said, I identify with every single thing in the new, updated criteria. What really just shocks me is that they are now saying Borderline can almost be completely cured within X amount of years. Is this something new? Because I surely don't remember reading that it was cureable. If this is a mental disorder, how does one just "get over it". It's all so confusing to me.
    Borderline personality disorder is more a set of behavioral patterns along with emotional instability (extreme moodiness) than it is anything else. Through a combination of therapies and meds, it is treatable and yes, it can be completely overcome and even mastered. It tends to improve by itself with maturity, anyways. My score 10 years ago would've been much higher (probably in the 30s).

I got 17.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jessica129, I won't quote your post there in case you decide to delete or alter it later.

I'm not sure where you read about near complete cure within X amount of years. There is dialectical behavior therapy which is the main treatment attempts for borderliners, and while it has had more successes than other methods, I'm not sure about near complete cure. It is a constant, constant process. I suppose some people have been able to habituate the process, though. Personally, I detested it! I've described it on the forum here as being akin to an ixtj trying to get an exfp to be more ixtj. (Since other types can be borderline, their criteria and circumstances might help them better adapt towards the ixtjness of dbt. But for me, it was like they were trying to get me to completely alter my entire personality, even the good parts.)

And you're right, borderline isn't as clear cut as something like depression. But depression is also a mood disorder, while borderline is a personality disorder. Personality disorders are generally more complex than mood disorders.

For myself, I've described it as feeling ripped apart by conflicting values and desires. Like walking a fence, sometimes teetering one way, then suddenly another. There is a reason for the teetering (conflicting values), though. But it makes it difficult not just for myself, but very difficult for the people around me, as it appears that I am being inconsistent, histrionic, or attempting to manipulate something. But really, I am just torn...immensely. (I am sure other people would describe their experience of it all differently, which is also interesting to me, heh.)

Also, imo, I think therapy for it would be better aimed at the specifics for the person involved. (But that's not how it's 'treated'.)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jessica129
    I'm not sure where you read about near complete cure within X amount of years. There is dialectical behavior therapy which is the main treatment attempts for borderliners, and while it has had more successes than other methods, I'm not sure about near complete cure. It is a constant, constant process. I suppose some people have been able to habituate the process, though.
    Ah, sorry. I was doing research on BPD and had another tab open and accidentally thought it was from the link you posted. If you look it up, some new research seems to show that in many cases, a good portion has claimed to have been 'cured'.

For myself, I've described it as feeling ripped apart by conflicting values and desires. Like walking a fence, sometimes teetering one way, then suddenly another. There is a reason for the teetering (conflicting values), though. But it makes it difficult not just for myself, but very difficult for the people around me, as it appears that I am being inconsistent, histrionic, or attempting to manipulate something. But really, I am just torn...immensely. (I am sure other people would describe their experience of it all differently, which is also interesting to me, heh.)
    Yeah. At least you have values. I feel like my goals and personality change daily.. sometimes hourly. It's like, how can you possibly expect someone to know you when you have no clue who you are. It's sort of ironic I come to a personality forum and have been stuck here for this long and still know nothing about my peronality. But I'm being dramatic.

And @jet city woman, yeah i feel like I have come a long way in my reactions and the way I deal with things and each time i successfully deal with the stressors I get closer to feeling 'normal' but there are very many things I can see that i need help with. I'm not saying i'm borderline, i won't self diagnose...but i've always felt off. I personally don't care if people judge me for what I put out here on this forum. All i can do is be honest heh.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said before that I suspect I am slightly BPD, and the test scores seem to agree. 40.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You scored a total of 36

Severe Borderline Personality Disorder Likely
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. At least you have values. I feel like my goals and personality change daily.. sometimes hourly. It's like, how can you possibly expect someone to know you when you have no clue who you are. It's sort of ironic I come to a personality forum and have been stuck here for this long and still know nothing about my peronality. But I'm being dramatic.
    My goals are constantly changing too, and yes...many times even within an hour. And I can't trust decisions I make, because with just one simple thought, it could all completely change. I am 41yo, and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. (Actually, i keep deciding that i just won't grow up, period, problem solved.)

For me, I know who I am based on what I have done, and why I did it at that moment. That is all I can trust of myself. Certain patterns emerged from my actions/behaviors, and from those patterns I see myself...good and bad. And from those I get to see what values keep showing up over time. But to turn that to figuring out what I want to be, do, or have in the future? Not happening very well, heheh.

And no, I don't think you are being dramatic. I think you are being honest.
    ...uh, unless you were intentionally being dramatic...at which point I'm just confused now.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Creepy-bg

Last edited by bg; 05-10-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The maximum score is 48.

@jessica129, just work on some of the issue raised to reduce the strength of them, that way you can fix yourself by means of an online test. This is how it works for socionics as well, heh.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was (mis)diagnosed with BPD in my teens.

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. At least you have values. I feel like my goals and personality change daily.. sometimes hourly. It's like, how can you possibly expect someone to know you when you have no clue who you are.
    This is one of the reasons why I started studying typology. Once I figured out my type, I just studied it and grew into it. There are unique gifts that each type is offered, and I find it necessary to use those gifts at this point. I know I'm meant for certain occupations and hobbies, and I know why. I know what I have to offer. So, it's much easier to move towards a goal and to know what would make me happy with the help of typology. I'm more sure of who I am these days, and what I want.
    And @jet city woman, yeah i feel like I have come a long way in my reactions and the way I deal with things and each time i successfully deal with the stressors I get closer to feeling 'normal' but there are very many things I can see that i need help with. I'm not saying i'm borderline, i won't self diagnose...but i've always felt off. I personally don't care if people judge me for what I put out here on this forum. All i can do is be honest heh.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m uncertain how BPD works/feels, but I’ve read a lot about it and I have a friend that likes working with BPD patients because she makes a lot of progress with them. I had two friends that had it, but I ended up segregating myself from them because I realized I had a very negative effect on them over time. I think after reading this I feel more sympathetic to their plight.

Personality disorders are difficult for psychiatrists/psychologists to Dx so I think it’s rather silly to attempt labeling people with them; it’s even sillier to do it on the web. I can type out a pretty elaborate array of shit that can make the reader feel emotional while sitting here with no emotions going on at all inside.

As for me, well, I guess narcissism, but it has waned a lot over time. It waned because I learned the hard way that narcissism isn’t cool. I didn’t actually know I was a narcissist; I just knew I was causing problems for myself. As far as I knew, I wasn’t actively doing anything wrong; I was just being myself.

Example:

At one of the places I worked, and this has happened at nearly every place I’ve worked, in some form or another; I had 8-10 men on a cycle buying me gifts, paying for my lunch, and one guy would just give me cash to go shopping with. I never took off a shred of clothing and I ignored their sexual advances or I would turn the sex talk into an inquisitive/intellectual type discussion. I was only 19 and as I recall it; I cringe. Guess WHAT happened?! I had unknowingly gotten myself into a huge debacle! They started following me to my car, one guy raged at me at a gas station punching one of the gas pumps, and let’s not forget; other women started to hate me. Fortunately I had made best of friends with my LIE boss, so I had no trouble with work, and I just stopped/had my boyfriend pick me up from work.

The moral of the story is that being a narcissist/vampire isn’t fun or cool. Personality disorders are more complex than they appear. My main trouble these days is my ego “Corey” whom loves to sneak up on me when I’m not paying enough attention; hence my fondness for the poem “The Psychoed” by Hugh Mearns. "Damon, WHY U SO egotistical?" I had to beat him with a stick just to post this. -_-

-Krishna

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    Example:

At one of the places I worked, and this has happened at nearly every place I’ve worked, in some form or another; I had 8-10 men on a cycle buying me gifts, paying for my lunch, and one guy would just give me cash to go shopping with. I never took off a shred of clothing and I ignored their sexual advances or I would turn the sex talk into an inquisitive/intellectual type discussion. I was only 19 and as I recall it; I cringe. Guess WHAT happened?! I had unknowingly gotten myself into a huge debacle! They started following me to my car, one guy raged at me at a gas station punching one of the gas pumps, and let’s not forget; other women started to hate me. Fortunately I had made best of friends with my LIE boss, so I had no trouble with work, and I just stopped/had my boyfriend pick me up from work.
    Are you sure you weren't a stripper?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6, but I think other kind of tests (related to different potential illnesses) would give me different results.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    Are you sure you weren't a stripper?
    Not in the literal sense sweetie

I could never. I'm pretty certain my father would kill some men, and not care if he went to prison for it.

-Krishna

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably bs.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is it bs?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is it bs?
    Cuz I don't have BPD

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got something.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got something.
    Probably. But it isn't BPD.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I scored a 10.

Stay back, you crazies.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I got 19.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

17. One less than @Park, the user obsessed with SJH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast