Thread: LIE-ENTj modes: angry and aggressive vs. friendly and easy-going

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default LIE-ENTj modes: angry and aggressive vs. friendly and easy-going

I noticed that LIEs tend to switch between these modes depending at the situation their in. I'm aware that other types do this, it's just more notable and common among LIEs. Like they can be friendly/easy-going at a party with some strangers. However if some other people do something to cross them they'll go to angry/aggressive mode if need be. Anyone else notice this particular behavior?
    Last edited by Raver; 08-12-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, I do that. Why would I want to be different?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the Je/Pi pole? Or just some unrelated psychological tendencies?
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Sure, I do that. Why would I want to be different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Yeah, I'm like that. What of it?
    I just wanted to know if it was a specific personality trait of LIEs from what I've noticed or if its something that can be more universally applied to other types.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    You mean the Je/Pi pole? Or just some unrelated psychological tendencies?
    It may be the Je/Pi pole come to think of it as all ExxJ types can behave that way OR it can be an unrelated psychological tendency of only LIEs to behave that way. Actually, it's basically the point of this thread.
    Last edited by Raver; 08-12-2011 at 05:18 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I'm the same.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is the alternative to this?
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My self typed LIE sister is like that. It's like she has a switch and she turns it on. It always seems so fake to me. Her indignity also seems pretty contrived. I always giver her a hard time when she gets like that. Mainly because I'm testing to see if its real or just to prove her wrong.

I have an LIE friend who does that too. With him I dont mind it as much because it at least seems somewhat authentic but it always seems to be directed at me or whoever he is directly interacting with it also seems that he never has good reason for being in his angry/aggressive mode either. I'm pretty sure he has some serious psychological issues though so I don't hold too much against him... I suspect its related to Se-mobilizing but I'm not for sure.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes a lot for me to get aggressive as I've become older since I've learned how to channel it into different mediums. When I'm stressed, that's a different story. I can easily bounce from energetic to aggressive in a heartbeat. I usually stay away from situations like that though. I haven't been in a fight for the past 6 years so I'm not going to try to find one anytime soon.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    -valuing, -valuing, and master of neither?
    Probably more related to Te and Fe (the latter being more used in a social atmosphere...but reverting back to the harsher Te sometimes), I def. don't feel like I'm exterting any effort when behaving like that - which I kinda do when I have to deal with Fi-Se stuff.

I have an LIE friend who does that too. With him I dont mind it as much because it at least seems somewhat authentic but it always seems to be directed at me or whoever he is directly interacting with it also seems that he never has good reason for being in his angry/aggressive mode either. I'm pretty sure he has some serious psychological issues though so I don't hold too much against him... I suspect its related to Se-mobilizing but I'm not for sure.
    Eh, just to clarify, I'm not speaking about a bipolar mania with wild mood swings and ranting quarrels. Just a slight switch between friendly a a bit confrontational.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like normal behavior to me... if someone crosses me of course I'm going to be annoyed and maybe give them a sharp comment back. It's also natural for me to be friendlier with certain people I know better or like better. What is the alternative to being like this?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=FDG;800185]
    Eh, just to clarify, I'm not speaking about a bipolar mania with wild mood swings and ranting quarrels. Just a slight switch between friendly a a bit confrontational.
    Haha thats not really what I meant. He isnt out of control when he gets into that mode, he pretty much acts in the same way my sister does. Except he may attack me for not being factually accurate or I might say something that would be seen as weird if I'm talking to an acquaintance but not with a friend yet, nonetheless he will probably blow it out of proportion and give me shit about it. Other than being really insecure he is depressed and I think he might have NPD. He has gotten a lot better over the past two years so I can actually get along with him pretty well now.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you describe is called "cocaine"

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

There is a lot of confirmation bias in this thread. That is, there are many self-typed LIE's saying that they agree to this mentality, yet there seem to be few considering any alternatives: that any representative of a given type could behave this way, since it seems to be normal human behaviour to act aggressively in an aggressive situation, or, as the OP posted, "if need be."

There is more to personality than sociotype. By the way, probably 70-80% of the shit that is asked of it "Is it type-related" is not type-related.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    There is a lot of confirmation bias in this thread. That is, there are many self-typed LIE's saying that they agree to this mentality, yet there seem to be few considering any alternatives: that any representative of a given type could behave this way, since it seems to be normal human behaviour to act aggressively in an aggressive situation, or, as the OP posted, "if need be."
    Well, that was the question. I agree that this behavior seems pretty normal and ubiquitous. Perhaps there's a specific quirk that Traveler wanted to talk about i.e. maybe a particularly sudden change.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Strativeyeska wrote about this in her description of LIEs under , the role function; "either he plays the role of a cheerful and joyful person, or he is contsantly angry, but he cannot fool his dual" or something along those lines.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't everybody like that?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Not necessarily. I'm sure every type is friendly or angry at times. However, with LIEs it stands out as their two primary roles. Other types may exhibit different states of mind such as IEE may change from business-like/polite to friendly/goofy, which is not the same thing as how LIEs would behave. I think every type has their modes, but their modes are unique and not the same.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a probable LIE who does this. I think the aggressive phase tends towards an air of authority, complete w/ giving unexplained orders and the like. The easygoing LIE will be kind and polite, but not highly excitable in a positive way, as say, an IEE would be. Also, the Easygoing/Aggressive thing clearly doesn't apply to everyone. Many people would be better described by Playful/Fearful, Polite/Indignant, or any number of adjective/adjective combinations.

The Te-base Fe-role combination seems like a good explanation, which brings up two questions:
    1) Does anyone notice LSEs, the other Te-base type, doing the same thing?
    2) Does each type do something analogous, based on their particular base and role functions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point -- an LIE displaying above behavior may not actually feel angry or aggressive. Actually, come to think about it, an such an LIE once told me "I'm not angry, I'm being functional." Still, it comes off much differently than, say, an LII in an emotionless state.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post
    My self typed LIE sister is like that. It's like she has a switch and she turns it on. It always seems so fake to me. Her indignity also seems pretty contrived. I always giver her a hard time when she gets like that. Mainly because I'm testing to see if its real or just to prove her wrong.

Whenever people seem to be in a bad mood for no reason at all, I always try to find out whether they have some physical discomfort, for instance, a cigarette craving. Cigarette cravings are notorious for putting people into bad moods, and they often don't realize they're in a bad mood and acting angry for no reason. It also happens if someone is hungry or tired. If they go have a cigarette, they will suddenly be back into a good mood even though nothing has happened.

Just an observation. Probably irrelevant but I thought I'd put it out there. That wouldn't have anything to do with them 'switching' in the middle of a conversation, but it might be applicable if you walked in and started talking to them and they were constantly in a bad mood for no reason. Switching in the midst of a discussion is something else.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I dont normally show myself joyful or angry unless I am joyful or angry. Many people display a braoder spetrum of emotions then simply the joyful or angsty pattern that many doms show. I personally often have emotional tonus but dont necessarily express an emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumer1an View Post

Whenever people seem to be in a bad mood for no reason at all, I always try to find out whether they have some physical discomfort, for instance, a cigarette craving. Cigarette cravings are notorious for putting people into bad moods, and they often don't realize they're in a bad mood and acting angry for no reason. It also happens if someone is hungry or tired. If they go have a cigarette, they will suddenly be back into a good mood even though nothing has happened.

Just an observation. Probably irrelevant but I thought I'd put it out there. That wouldn't have anything to do with them 'switching' in the middle of a conversation, but it might be applicable if you walked in and started talking to them and they were constantly in a bad mood for no reason. Switching in the midst of a discussion is something else.
    Hmm... I haven't thought about that. Like I said with my sister I think its just a facade that she uses because she is striving towards this ideal image in her head and that ideal image happens to be aggressive...

Though with my friend it could be something along those lines.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you LIEs do the thing where you get intensely furious for like two seconds then it goes away.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Do you LIEs do the thing where you get intensely furious for like two seconds then it goes away.
    Got an example?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I noticed that LIEs tend to switch between these modes depending at the situation their in. I'm aware that other types do this, it's just more notable and common among LIEs. Like they can be friendly/easy-going at a party with some strangers. However if some other people do something to cross them they'll go to angry/aggressive mode if need be. Anyone else notice this particular behavior?
    I love IEE's, but as much as I may wish they would learn that when someone tells them they don't want something, not to keep shoving that thing into their face because you feel/think they just don't know they want it yet and they'll learn otherwise. As I say, it's wishful thinking.

You don't just get the '100% your favourite' sides of people when you decide to interact with them. You've got to take the rough with the smooth.

The assertive/aggressive swing behaviour of ESTJs and ENTJs is part of how they deal with the world and that is fine.

You may find this more preferable to the hot/cold behaviour of INTJs and ISTJs when you consider the balance of factors.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice that Te dominants tend to be like this. In the office, people usually find that I'm friendly and easy going. When there's work to be done, my tone changes entirely. Some people weren't too happy about it, but they realized it's just something I do when I'm, as someone put it, 'on functional mode'. They're cool with me now.

I suppose when Te is being employed, Fe is being repressed, in other words the external flow of emotional energy is being ignored for the sake of efficiency. As a Te type, Fi is usually being relied on for balance- the internal status of emotional bonds remain the same despite a seemingly more negative external emotional flow. My Alpha/Beta office workers usually have an issue with this, while my Gamma/Delta ones really don't mind at all because they know that despite the harsh tone, we still are as close as we were before, if not closer after this ordeal.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Like they can be friendly/easy-going at a party with some strangers. However if some other people do something to cross them they'll go to angry/aggressive mode if need be. Anyone else notice this particular behavior?
    My boss is LIE.

My boss is like that.

-valuing, -valuing, and master of neither?
    Yeah, I think that's exactly right. Could be role too.