Thread: Is Ti "common sense"?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Ti "common sense"?

I know that Ti is related to opinions and consensi and I've heard at least one knowledgeable person on this forum speculate (cynically) that Ti was little more and little less than "common sense". Today I've seen someone in real life slap the label of "common sense" on an instance of typical Ti behavior (on the part of some ENTp in my surroundings) as a form of criticism. Is Ti "common sense"? What is the forum's take on this?

Another question I think is of interest is what the difference is between the four available variants of Ti, the most notable distinction being between the Rationals' Ti (accepting) and the Irrationals' Ti (producing aka creating). Somehow this notion of "IxTjs' Ti is STRONGER than that of ExTps" doesn't quite explain the differences. Function strength is something really difficult to define. Quite litterally a mumbo-jumbo concept. It would be better to have something capable of being specified or even measured. So take this as an open challenge. Define to me how accepting Ti and creating Ti are different.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think "common sense" is way too general a term to be interpreted as having properties that are all reduce-able to one function.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I think "common sense" is way too general a term to be interpreted as having properties that are all reduce-able to one function.

ditto
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Ti is not "common sense".

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO

(and +1 to what Gilly said)
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Common sense is generally whatever you consider obvious. Of course some people will consider obvious...

The concept of "Accepting Ti" falls prey to the Model X inversion. So I'll answer both sides.

Model X Ti base, classical Ti subtype: The first thing that comes to mind is the Teacher/Learner dichotomy that I thought up recently. Ti as the focus is concerned with translating its results into Ne or Se in order to serve them to other people. It's a "Teacher" function in that it causes the person to seek to teach others and expect others to teach hir (as opposed to learning on hir own and letting others bring their questions). Teacher/Learner correlates to Judging/Perceiving subtype.

Model X Judging, classical Ti base: The person is Judging temperament.

In general this is reminding me of the Smilexian dichotomies... so... go read the Smilexian dichotomies. He has a bunch of differences/similarities between acc-Ti and cre-Ti.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    I know that Ti is related to opinions and consensi and I've heard at least one knowledgeable person on this forum speculate (cynically) that Ti was little more and little less than "common sense".
    Common sense, means something like "realistic sense".

That's not something I associate with Ti.

Creepy-Cyclops

I've never really seen Ti as common sense, I think it can be logic for logics sake, which to me reality or individual situations don't always fit it.

I suppose I see creative Ti as more flexible than dominant Ti though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Common sense, means something like "realistic sense".

That's not something I associate with Ti.
    Yeah I agree with all of this. When people say something is common sense, they don't mean it as consensus opinion about something, like labcoat intreprets it.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Yeah I agree with all of this. When people say something is common sense, they don't mean it as consensus opinion about something, like labcoat intreprets it.
    I'm sure that I've heard catching a logical contradiction referred to as "common sense"... which must have been , and furthermore the person calling it that must have been ESFj, although I stretch the bounds of memory already.

I'm convinced that different people will, in a generally (but not strictly) type-related way, choose certain IM elements to refer to as "common sense." You seem to have chosen .

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about calling Beta STs' Ti "common-sense"? Any potential in that?

If there WAS a function of common-sense, which would it be?

I'm not saying they are the same thing, only that they are related. When a group of people has a consensus on some determination, there is a good chance they will regard it as "common-sense".

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I'm sure that I've heard catching a logical contradiction referred to as "common sense"... which must have been , and furthermore the person calling it that must have been ESFj, although I stretch the bounds of memory already.

I'm convinced that different people will, in a generally (but not strictly) type-related way, choose certain IM elements to refer to as "common sense." You seem to have chosen .
    Yeah, that could also be true, that to different types "common sense" means different things.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    How about calling Beta STs' Ti "common-sense"? Any potential in that?
    Well I find ISTj's to lack common sense in the way I interpret it; i've seen ISTj's at work struggle to handle something if it doesn't fit into their system correctly..or the system actually slows it down. In this sense the common sense approach is to get it done as effectively as possible..
    If there WAS a function of common-sense, which would it be?
    Maybe , or

I'm not saying they are the same thing, only that they are related. When a group of people has a consensus on some determination, there is a good chance they will regard it as "common-sense".
    In that case, common sense it whats regarded as being sensible by most people..some sort of extraverted judging function, or ?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That only works in some instances. What about the common sense reason why two people get along so well? Or the common sense reason people like to eat meals in low light? Or the common sense reason people like to recline when they watch a movie? "Common sense" can come from any function, and whichever is your strongest function is likely to be the one that you'll see it in.

This was in response to labcoat.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    What about the common sense reason why two people get along so well? Or the common sense reason people like to eat meals in low light? Or the common sense reason people like to recline when they watch a movie?
    Heh based on these criterias I lack common sense

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would seem odd that Ti would be thought equatable with "common sense" when it is widely held that LIIs have a plentiful surplus of the former but a dreadful famine of the latter.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Yea, Common sense is alot of things, If Ti is common sense why Can't FI be common of sense in that we know how to deal and relate to people? that is a sense that we all have in common and that is what we all accept, just like Ti.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request