Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Size Me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Super Size Me

Interesting film.

Despite the controversy and influence I had not seen it until today. I don't eat fast food but I now have little sympathy for this idea of an obesity epidemic.

For those from America, what are your attitudes towards fast food and the overweight?

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw the movie. Really liked it.

Think overweight are overweight out of their own volition. They don't deserve pity, but a helping hand when they themselves get sick of having their own gravitational pull.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post

Think overweight are overweight out of their own volition. They don't deserve pity, but a helping hand when they themselves get sick of having their own gravitational pull.
    Good summary.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post

i tend to agree with this. i like the hard thing is now seeing that others use different elements differently, my view on people has changed. it's more open and accepting than it ever has been.

for me personally, i hate fast food. we have it occasionally but i don't like the greasy feeling it gives me.

i was overweight once in my life when my self esteem was really low. i was 19 and a total social misfit so i ate to ease my pain. as i've raised my self esteem and confidence, i also have found that working out is kickass fun! if people could just move their bodies even a fraction of what i do, the lbs would shed off easily. i see most people as lazy, sorry...

"oh, you've had 4 kids?! and you look so great! how do you do it?"

how the hell do you think i do it? i work my ass off! and i don't sit around eating chips all day. get up and play with your kids instead of watching soaps or on the computer all day. kids are the BEST thing to help you get up and play, use them and they'll love you wanting to play with them too!

"you just had a baby 3 mos ago and you're in such great shape. it must be your genes."

what the hell?! i got off my ass within 2 weeks and got moving!

one thing i do not like is when people complain about stuff that if they took proaction in their own lives, they could get what they really wanted.

sorry, but overweight issues and people complaining about them is bogus shit to me. i'll even teach you what exercises to do if you want! come on, let's go! working out feels great and can be great fun!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this and craved Mcdonalds even more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I saw this and craved Mcdonalds even more.
    How did that happen?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saturn View Post
    How did that happen?
    Cuz they kept talking about it

I had a big hankering for some too.

And I agree 100% with dbmamma, people are honestly just lazy.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Creepy-bg

decent movie... I liked the guys 30-days show on tv too

"Fast Food Nation" was good too (although it's a story type of movie and not a docu)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Yeah, only lazy people are obese. Cook a homemade meal! Veggies, fruit!

But really, I understand that some people have a real problem with it. It's upsetting to see anyone that's unhealthy, and you can only wish the best for those people.
    oh, i absolutely wish the best for everyone! i think that's why i want to help them feel better. i've been overweight, i felt like crap physically, mentally, emotionally....being in shape gives you such a stronger confidence about all areas of your life and you have more energy to do what you love in life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought it was a little ridiculous with the fat people suing mcdonalds lol but i do empathize with overweight people seeing as i myself have struggled with this and believe it or not but food can be a drug too
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obese people repulse me. I don't know why anyone feels sorry for them.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    i thought it was a little ridiculous with the fat people suing mcdonalds lol but i do empathize with overweight people seeing as i myself have struggled with this and believe it or not but food can be a drug too
    Of course, foods influence your neurotransmitters.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Obese people repulse me. I don't know why anyone feels sorry for them.
    i don't feel sorry for anyone. i believe everyone makes their own bed, yes, everyone, on one **level** or another.

but, without compassion, anyone with "issues" wouldn't be able to trust another to "help" them better themselves, if they are wanting it.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    i don't feel sorry for anyone. i believe everyone makes their own bed, yes, everyone, on one **level** or another.

but, without compassion, anyone with "issues" wouldn't be able to trust another to "help" them better themselves, if they are wanting it.
    just because a person makes their own bed is no reason not to feel sorry for them imo.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone in part makes their own beds... sometimes other factors not in their control start making part of the bed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    just because a person makes their own bed is no reason not to feel sorry for them imo.
    i think compassion and feeling sorry for carry different energies. the first is empowering the latter is about seeing the person as too weak to help themselves. i prefer to empower.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i think compassion and feeling sorry for carry different energies. the first is empowering the latter is about seeing the person as too weak to help themselves. i prefer to empower.
    Sometimes people only need acceptance without someone telling them that they need to change. Some people are not ready for the change and compassion is what might give them some positive energy on the way.

Showing compassion can be more respectful than telling them that they can change if they only want to. I tend to find that very arrogant because what do we know about people's lives? I believe it can be very empowering for people to be accepted the way they are. And compassion shows them that somebody cares, but does not think they need to change just now.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-bg

yeah... I don't think about the meanings of words that much. Feeling sorry (for me) is the same as compassion/empathy.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Sometimes people only need acceptance without someone telling them that they need to change. Some people are not ready for the change and compassion is what might give them some positive energy on the way.

Showing compassion can be more respectful than telling them that they can change if they only want to. I tend to find that very arrogant because what do we know about people's lives? I believe it can be very empowering for people to be accepted the way they are. And compassion shows them that somebody cares, but does not think they need to change just now.
    totally...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah... I don't think about the meanings of words that much. Feeling sorry (for me) is the same as compassion/empathy.
    sorry, i've got this "thing" about the meanings of words. my sis hates it that i'm always being very clear and questioning her meaning, etc.....and getting the words to mean exactly what i and she mean....

i agree with you and Kim. i think we are just saying it slightly different.

Creepy-bg

sorry, i've got this "thing" about the meanings of words. my sis hates it that i'm always being very clear and questioning her meaning, etc.....and getting the words to mean exactly what i and she mean....

i agree with you and Kim. i think we are just saying it slightly different.
    I'm sure we are... I know your good people. (despite the pedanticism )

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure we are... I know your good people. (despite the pedanticism )
    thanks, ditto.

what type(s) tends to be that way with words? my oldest son is even worse than me, but i'm sure he "learned" it from me too. i've really mellowed about it over the years because i would have written every email precisely correct in terms of spelling, grammar, capital letters, all that stuff and would freak out if i spelled something wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post

+1 (as usual )

Creepy-bg

thanks, ditto.

what type(s) tends to be that way with words? my oldest son is even worse than me, but i'm sure he "learned" it from me too. i've really mellowed about it over the years because i would have written every email precisely correct in terms of spelling, grammar, capital letters, all that stuff and would freak out if i spelled something wrong.
    it must drive you nuts reading my posts then I give no consideration to spelling/grammar/punctuation... I generally just type how i talk. stoner grammar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it must drive you nuts reading my posts then I give no consideration to spelling/grammar/punctuation... I generally just type how i talk. stoner grammar
    no i find it refreshing because i've been so uptight most of my life that to just let loose and not give a shit is the thing i've needed most in my life (which is what my hubby does for me).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullshit documentary.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esper View Post
    You know...it is expensive to eat really healthy. Fresh fruit and veggies are harder to get than preprocessed foods and flour. I think it's a matter of being quantity over quality, being impatient, and being indulgent. We want fast, cheap, and filling, and we got it. We're like dogs--overeating if we're fed too much. It's like America starved during the depression so we're all over feeding our children, stuffing their mouths full with materialism, and we've learned to love our overcompensation. We're not storing up excess, for greater prosperity, saving every penny for America's future. We live on a week's paycheck and an overcharged credit card, a few divorces on our backs and child support to pay. These are the building blocks of America. Living everything for the moment. Even in food.
    for a lot of people, yes. but, i believe our perception does create our reality. i don't perceive MY LIFE to be that way and so, it is not. i intend on finding healthy food inexpensively and so i do. i intend on being healthy and so i am. i pay cash for most things. i am happily married for 17 years. AND i live for the moment. but my moment is what I MAKE IT, not societies "ways." and then i'm not dragged or allow myself to be sucked in by any ideas that i don't choose to believe in. (for the most part, it's always a work in progress)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my favorite line from this movie:

he's sitting in his car, holding some chicken mcnuggets: "look at them there, glistening in the sun..."

lol hilarious. food is but one example of how the man has manufactured, marketed, and sold us stuff that is unhealthy and killing us.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively View Post

he's sitting in his car, holding some chicken mcnuggets: "look at them there, glistening in the sun..."

lol hilarious. food is but one example of how the man has manufactured, marketed, and sold us stuff that is unhealthy and killing us.
    woooohoooo- fuck yeah gamma!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcdonaldization
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    Gamma: Selling you the shit God gives you for free for 10,000 years and counting! 10,000,000,000,000 served!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

esper: i agree. eating super healthy is expensive, especially if you have a large appetite. but what is cheap and healthy is eating more blandish foods. I eat a lot of simple pasta/olive oil shit and pb and js because it's cheap, filling, and not detrimental to health. frozen vegetables are a good idea if you must, but to me, food is fuel and shelling out 2 dollars for 150 calories is just not going to fucking cut it.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    canned food is the way to go.

I often find myself eating a can of vegetables for my meals, lol.
    canned meats are boss.
    asd

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively View Post

haha. I find that amusing because they're "not supposed to" be glistening in the sun... food that isn't fried in a thick coating of grease does not glisten and sparkle so in the sun... but coats of oil and lard and grease can be quite shiny and reflective.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I'm sorry, but this made me gag a little.
    in what way?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma: Selling you the shit God gives you for free for 10,000 years and counting! 10,000,000,000,000 served!

lol totally

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    haha. I find that amusing because they're "not supposed to" be glistening in the sun... food that isn't fried in a thick coating of grease does not glisten and sparkle so in the sun... but coats of oil and lard and grease can be quite shiny and reflective.
    yeah me too. how did we get here??

ILE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I'll explain it in greater depth when I get back from school, but for now just reread what you wrote in a perspective other than your own. That way, you'll be able to see how some people might perceive what you said as arrogant. You may not have meant it that way, but to be honest your little speech wouldn't inspire anyone at all. It's just a bit condescending.

"I'm this and this because I did this and that... you've got to do that too or you're lazy... if I can do it so can you!"-ish vibe is complete shit for motivation. I apologize if this seems rude, but it's incredibly true imo.

Honestly, my entire family is strangely pro-fitness/health people. I'm not. The only reason I stay thin is probably because I don't eat much and because their habits rubs off on me in some ways. So I don't actually have to try to be healthy, it's just a lifestyle I'm used to. Because of this, I'm not really one to give advice either, and that's why I won't.

But back to you: I think you mean well, but you have no idea what would inspire people. Even though I'm not a great example to help, you really aren't either. This is because you don't really seem to relate to their problems like some can. You say that you're in shape because you work your ass off... but if you think about it, some people truly wish they could just work their ass off.

I'm kind of relating this to school for me. For instance, people tell me I'd do better in class if I just started working my ass off, but that's just bullshit coming from someone who is doing really well in school! And I WISH I could just "work my ass off" because even beginning to work my ass off is difficult. No focus, no motivation, no support.

It fucking blows.
    You just don't seem to understand that at all. I bet overweight people WISH they could just get up and start working out like you. It's more difficult than that I imagine.
    So you're little speeches are like little kicks in the ass, but not the motivating kind.
    Sorry, but oh well.
    oh please don't be sorry. (or is that me doing it again?)

i asked and you told. i'm here to learn from everyone's perspective, even if it hurts. and it did, but i'm ok with that.

there are other things that if someone told me to get off my ass and do it i wouldn't be able to either, so, i could relate in that way and switch it around on myself.

i don't actually mean for what you call "speeches" to be motivating anyone. i write them to motivate myself. if i don't say those things to myself, i end up typing here on the forum instead of getting up and working out myself. unfortunately, it doesn't work for me to say them to myself by myself. i'm too extraverted for that. i have to say them TO someone. is that selfish? it sounds like it. but i don't know another way that works for me or i don't know that i could wrap my brain around actually doing it and it working another way.

anyway, thank you for responding. i appreciate your thoughts about it.

oh, i do have ideas that inspire people, they just work with a type different than yours.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh please don't be sorry. (or is that me doing it again?)

i asked and you told. i'm here to learn from everyone's perspective, even if it hurts. and it did, but i'm ok with that.

there are other things that if someone told me to get off my ass and do it i wouldn't be able to either, so, i could relate in that way and switch it around on myself.

i don't actually mean for what you call "speeches" to be motivating anyone. i write them to motivate myself. if i don't say those things to myself, i end up typing here on the forum instead of getting up and working out myself. unfortunately, it doesn't work for me to say them to myself by myself. i'm too extraverted for that. i have to say them TO someone. is that selfish? it sounds like it. but i don't know another way that works for me or i don't know that i could wrap my brain around actually doing it and it working another way.

anyway, thank you for responding. i appreciate your thoughts about it.

oh, i do have ideas that inspire people, they just work with a type different than yours.
    something that really blows is that i don't talk like the way i type online to people irl. i'm a different person irl and i don't know how to deal with the fact that i do this.

i would NEVER say things like my "speech" you refer to to people irl. to tell you the truth, this is very upsetting to me. i NEVER EVER would EVER want to hurt you or anyone else with what i do or say. if anything, i go the opposite extreme irl and become so nice i lose myself. i'm sorry, but i'm crying right now and i don't know why. that's why i don't know my type or who i really am, irl i've always accomodated to others so much i lose myself. so then, when i get online, it's this other medium that i finally feel free to say stuff that i would NEVER to anyone irl.

irl, i'm known as the one who does anything and everything for others and never for myself, NEVER asking anyone for help. working out is THE ONLY thing i do for myself and even that is subject to my kids and their needs coming first. so i try to do it before they wake up or forget it, they come first.

i was just trying to workout and this whole thing was too upsetting for me, i had to write this. i'm sorry if i've let my real emotions out too much. i don't usually do that in fear that others would see me as weak in some way and that is too scary of a feeling. well, it's out there now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast