Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In Case You Doubted the Global Warming Consensus...

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    Ya, they eat the carbon from the atmosphere and when they die they eventueally turn into oil that get down in the ground or Co2 again if they burn. But if you grow a tree and burn it down the net sum of Co2 in the atmosphere is 0.
    It depends on where those trees are https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ts-cool-earth/

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarper View Post
    It depends on where those trees are https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ts-cool-earth/
    I wonder if solar cells have a cooling effect...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I made some calculations. If we burn 130,000 TWH/year (some is made into plastics etc but lets say negligible). One barrel of oil is 1,700 kilowatt-hours. That is 7.64705882 × 10^10 of them. Thats 209508460/day. Crazy.... 33311845140 liters. If we made a lake of it be 0.0333118451 km^3.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not looking to argue. I'm going to leave this here since it addresses the topic on a tangent.

Yale Climate Opinion Maps – U.S. 2016

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And arguing with a website written by a 'retired TV weatherman' and the other one 'a computer scientist' is not going to convince me.

Anyway, at least for myself, http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...=1#post1246924

I was able to take some data from reputable sources and synthesize it to create some credible questions. There's nothing interesting to me to just link weird websites then tell me to ignore the IPCC, 34 national science academies, the US research council, the Australian S&T, the UK Royal society, along with many others just because some guy published a blog that you linked and are obsessing over.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Face reality. CO2's power as a greenhouse gas is far exceeded by that of water vapor, which is eminently more abundant in the atmosphere than CO2. This is physics. Physics predicts it, and studies strongly support it -- unless the studies were funded by the government.

Just because one doesn't like the facts doesn't mean it isn't true. This is why the scientific establishment funded by the government feeds misinformation to the media -- to keep the grant money gravy train rolling. They don't care about the future of civilization. They want more $

We don't have to stop burning fossil fuels. Civilization will be fine as long as we don't let government ruin it.

Renewable energy is a child's playingthing. None of the renewable technologies in existence are robust enough to handle current energy demands.

"Humans will adapt and survive. Many species will go extinct, but some may flourish and new species will be created. Life will go on. This is all just a blip in the history of life on this planet."
    I can't disagree that water vapor is a greenhouse. This is a fact. However, it is not the underlying driving force of global warming. It does cause an additional increase in warming because increased temperatures allow more water vapor into the atmosphere, thereby, causing additional warming. If C02 concentrations were to decrease, the global temperatures would decrease as well, which would cause a decrease the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, which would cause additional cooling, and so on until equilibrium. Combine this with the fact that, unlike water vapor, most released CO2 can remain in the atmosphere until it is absorbed by the ocean in one to two hundred years. This takes a long time. There are some processes that take up CO2 so slowly that it would take hundreds of thousands of years for it to be naturally removed from the atmosphere. This means that warming effects will be occurring for a very, very long time.

I'm not sure what the argument against a ubiquitous government even means. There isn't a single, world government that is overseeing these studies. It reads like libertarian ideology and/or conspiracy theorizing. Much of the research is a combination of public and private universities, with government funding. So what? The data across the globe is huge and is one of the largest international scientific collaborations in history. The evidence all points to the same: 1)The average global temperature is increasing. 2)This is being caused by the large amounts of greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere.

We don't have to stop burning fossil fuels, but we do have to live with the consequences.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physics. It's a duh situation. Of course it's a thing.

All argument is based on what a given person believes the other persons pretense is. Which means it's largely idealogical, which means if you catch yourself arguing a side and the other person just "doesnt seem to hear what you're saying" or "isnt listening" you'll ultimately end up ahead if you bet every time on you being the idiot of that conversation.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes and no.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there is this dubble effect. We burn up fossil and cut down rain forrest.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading the other day about how in so many years the sun is going to shift its magnetic fields and give less of a heating effect to Earth - calling it a "mini ice age". https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...solar-activity, supposedly by 2022.

I just found it a bit refreshing because everyone seems so focused on CO2 emissions and no one talks about all the other factors that can effect temperatures. And it's especially funny considering that now it's not called "global warming" anymore, but "climate change". Ironic, when the whole idea is that CO2 is supposed to be heating up the atmosphere. And yes, before somebody types up a retort, I know all about the melting of polar ice caps and shifting weather patterns due to temperature changes, but if people are going to claim that any changes on Earth are due to rising CO2, then we enter bias territory. So it becomes a little asinine. Everything isn't caused by CO2 emissions, and it's still arguable if the majority of change is caused by CO2, since the best "evidence" we have is to create a controlled small greenhouse and show that CO2 absorbs more heat...that ignores other factors like how the water and life in the oceans absorb/release and convert CO2 naturally.

Interestingly enough, during an ice age, the CO2 levels in the ocean become trapped, reducing CO2 release to the atmosphere. So when things start to get warmer, more and more CO2 gets released into the atmosphere. That in itself isn't human caused. It's also natural for CO2 to get absorbed and converted back to oxygen by the vast amount of plant life in the oceans that make up a lot more land mass than what humans occupy. The ocean life can adapt and make use of that CO2, though I suppose that's harder to study than making greenhouse models and freaking out.

But that is to say that I am neither a "climate change skeptic" or "climate change supporter", for the record and all...I'm just not convinced by people that freak out and assume CO2 is causing the majority of temperature changes or that make it into a political issue. That rings more alarm bells in my head over the fact that we might actually be warming up the planet...makes me thing the people that support CO2 as a leading cause of climate changes are really in it for the political points and power of controlling the planet's future over really giving a shit about the planet or anyone else for that matter.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is good to be skeptical, imo.

No one is saying that C02 causes everything. It has to do with what is most likely causing the temperature increase. Not all possibilities are of equal likelihood and none of the alternatives predict a rapid change in temperature. Science predicts AGW due to the massive burning of fossil fuels, which currently is releasing over 35 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere per year. The data supports it. Could there be other causes? Sure there can, they could even be influencing weather patterns in complex ways yet to be understood. But, the most obvious and most significant is the CO2.
    Last edited by Skepsis; 01-07-2018 at 02:45 PM.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't believe in it. I think it's bullshit.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there is no warming, what is making the temperatures spike to record highs?

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    Tricky question. Loaded one, too.

This calls for an emoticon.

Never been big on 'em but what the hey.

TIM
    IEE 379 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"The earth is warming. Developed countries who are over-privileged and consume too much (but of course not oppressed countries like China and India) must be responsible."

Yes the world is warming up. However, there are a number of reasons why besides human CO2 emissions. Do you really believe that we have more control over the Earth's climate than the Sun does, for example? Here is a good rule of thumb: if a theory raises more questions than it is able to answer, it should be dismissed.

I cannot help but notice liberals employ the same faulty logic to explain other uncomfortable phenomena, as well.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    So, that's me doing a Loa Tzu impression over looking a neat Glacier in 2015. I'm situated in Glacial National Park, on the Canada side, here you can see the magnificent Glacier that................. oh wait, shoot shoot shoot, I'm so sorry guys. There is no Glacier. The Glacier is gone, because it melted.

Over the past 30 years, melting, leaving behind dust and rock. Ya............................a Glacier that stood 12,000 years after the Ice Age, melted in 30. Right, global warming is not a thing. RRRIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTtttttttt tttttt ta. Right its not caused by people................*cough* *COUGH*
    Climate changes all the time. And it's often a case of punctuated equilibrium. Quick change followed by long-term stasis until another quick change. Not abnormal.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Climate changes all the time. And it's often a case of punctuated equilibrium. Quick change followed by long-term stasis until another quick change. Not abnormal.
    LOL. Save your breath bud, you are not convincing me.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm situated in Glacial National Park, on the Canada side,
    wow... !!

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So, that's me doing a Loa Tzu impression over looking a neat Glacier in 2015. I'm situated in Glacial National Park, on the Canada side, here you can see the magnificent Glacier that................. oh wait, shoot shoot shoot, I'm so sorry guys. There is no Glacier. The Glacier is gone, because it melted.

Over the past 30 years, melting, leaving behind dust and rock. Ya............................a Glacier that stood 12,000 years after the Ice Age, melted in 30. Right, global warming is not a thing. RRRIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTtttttttt tttttt ta. Right its not caused by people................*cough* *COUGH*

Attachment 12530
    That picture doesn't prove anything. lol

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hey guys, look its me in the grand canyon...Now don't tell me there's no God, look how intelligently designed the rock formation is. I can even sit on top of the rocks! Right, intelligent design is not a thing. RIIIIAAAAGHTTTT. Right, its not caused by a divine maker. hahaha you guys are insane. its not even worth me debating with you. Over and out, The Brain.

Ho hum.
    Last edited by Kill4Me; 02-02-2018 at 03:42 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many melted glaciers have you seen?

You wanted a number of conventional global warming talking points instead? Why should I bother with that, as I already know your answer?

I don't give a shit your alternate opinions, I know them all. I've seen the melting glaciers with my own eyes.

I've also millions and millions of hectares of dead standing Pine trees killed by Mountain Pine beetle. Areas larger than the state of Texas, totally dead. Killed by a beetles that survives the warmer winters now.

Where have all the salamanders gone, long time passing....?

American, right? Trust me, I understand your myopathy. Sad.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's this photo COMBINED WITH EVERYTHING SCIENCE PROVES that demonstrates global warming and the causes. This is nothing like "my beliefs in a magical sky God did this."

If you wipe out all of Civilization, every book, every bit of knowledge, in 1000 years time it will all be back, because science is like that, you will have have the same results, because you can replicate results.

You-->" But I don't like mainstream consensus I like to be different for the sake of it", Murica' fuck ya here we come to save the motherfucking day ya.

Earth's rotation, elliptical orbits, sun spots, ...... if anything we should be heading into another period of glaciation. Something is different. That differences is us.

Get woke.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's this photo COMBINED WITH EVERYTHING SCIENCE PROVES that demonstrates global warming and the causes. This is nothing like "my beliefs in a magical sky God did this."

If you wipe out all of Civilization, every book, every bit of knowledge, in 1000 years time it will all be back, because science is like that, you will have have the same results, because you can replicate results.

You-->" But I don't like mainstream consensus I like to be different for the sake of it", Murica' fuck ya here we come to save the motherfucking day ya.

Earth's rotation, elliptical orbits, sun spots, ...... if anything we should be heading into another period of glaciation. Something is different. That differences is us.

Get woke.
    Actually, photos by their very nature can't prove much of anything. They always have a context, and there's always the potential that they've been altered somehow.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    Hey guys, look its me in the grand canyon...Now don't tell me there's no God, look how intelligently designed the rock formation is. I can even sit on top of the rocks! Right, intelligent design is not a thing. RIIIIAAAAGHTTTT. Right, its not caused by a divine maker. hahaha you guys are insane. its not even worth me debating with you. Over and out, The Brain.

Ho hum.
    You're going to mock the guy who recognizes the scientific consensus of over 90%, and you're going to do it like this? LOL!

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickelslick View Post
    You're going to mock the guy who recognizes the scientific consensus of over 90%, and you're going to do it like this? LOL!
    What 90% consensus, nippledick? As the first post showed, there really isn't such a consensus.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivienen View Post
    "The earth is warming. Developed countries who are over-privileged and consume too much (but of course not oppressed countries like China and India) must be responsible."

Yes the world is warming up. However, there are a number of reasons why besides human CO2 emissions. Do you really believe that we have more control over the Earth's climate than the Sun does, for example? Here is a good rule of thumb: if a theory raises more questions than it is able to answer, it should be dismissed.

I cannot help but notice liberals employ the same faulty logic to explain other uncomfortable phenomena, as well.
    the argument that the Sun has conspired to raise the temperatures on Earth globally, has been disproven by solar science and shown to be bogus https://www.yaleclimateconnections.o...e-for-warming/

our planet is receiving less solar energy--yet the temperatures are still going up and up

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, simmer down nickel stick it wasn't being mocked.

In a sense he has a good point, a picture means nothing without context and explanation.

As there are thousands of conclusions to explain why the glaciers are melting due to climate, there is you context.

I've seen it. Not on a bar graph. Not in a Al Gore doc. Not in a CNN panel conversation.

With my own eyes, a very tangible reality. This is one of dozens of personal tangibles for me.

It's okay to trust the modern world and science. It's the best we've got.

BTW, you cannot trust pictures you see online anymore, computer graphics are that good now. Go and see it with your glassy cow eyes in person.
    Last edited by wacey; 02-03-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling of nickel

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What 90% consensus, nippledick? As the first post showed, there really isn't such a consensus.

------>>>>>
    Meteorologists’ views about global warming: A survey of American Meteorological Society professional members¹
    Really? Do I really need to explain this one to you..........raspberries.

1.) Meteorologists. That's all. Just meteorologists. One of a number of branches. Hundreds of scientific branches out there with something to say about climate change.

2.) survey of JUST American Meteorological society professional members. So only members who are a part of this ONE society were surveyed, and of them only the professional members. There are hundreds of scientific societies out there in the world.

3.) this article has no conclusion worth utilizing.

4.) the 90 or 97% numbers is about the combined scientific conclusions of all the different disciplines.

5.) Go outside and see for yourself. Pay attention to the natural world, season by season, as I have, since very early childhood. Use your capacities and faculties as an alert, sensing creature. Feel the earth. Feel the water and sky. See it with your own eyes.

Do they not teach critical thinking skills at American high schools? I caught the limited nature of your article link in 1 minute.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, simmer down nickle stick it wasn't being mocked.

In a sense he has a good point, a picture means nothing without context and explanation.

As there are thousands of conclusions to explain why the glaciers are melting due to climate, there is you context.

I've seen it. Not on a bar graph. Not in a Al Gore doc. Not in a CNN panel conversation.

With my own eyes, a very tangible reality. This is one of dozens of personal tangibles for me.

It's okay to trust the modern world and science. It's the best we've got.

BTW, you cannot trust pictures you see online anymore, computer graphics are that good now. Go and see it with your glassy cow eyes in person.
    You must be replying to yourself here, no? Missed memo that the drama class is down the hall ------------>

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must be replying to yourself here, no? Missed memo that the drama class is down the hall ------------>
    Shoot you missed the convo and thus the context. Way to throw in a sociotyping for extra effect.

Originally Posted by Kill4MeHey guys, look its me in the grand canyon...Now don't tell me there's no God, look how intelligently designed the rock formation is. I can even sit on top of the rocks! Right, intelligent design is not a thing. RIIIIAAAAGHTTTT. Right, its not caused by a divine maker. hahaha you guys are insane. its not even worth me debating with you. Over and out, The Brain.

Ho hum.

Nickel Stick:

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Get woke.
    Appeal to authority.

appeal to consensus.

Enough is enough.

Yeves is gonna have to whack your hand with a ruler.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yes, another slippery slope argument

Its obvious you only have a very general knowledge about meteorology @wacey.

number of papers wacey published on glaciation? zilch.

but thank you for volunteering your laymen's theory. lmao

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change is the only constant.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yes, it is the same confirmation bias. in reality, your picture is not supportive evidence for global warming and/or some remote event you say humans caused. and your subsequent fallacious appeals are just that, logically fallacious. pay attention now, you will learn something.
    Last edited by Kill4Me; 02-02-2018 at 08:51 PM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Here is an ample amount of graphs showing that the temperatures we have today are not out of the ordinairy, but actually common if looked in the past 1000 years and far from the highest if looked in the past 10,000 years. So in other words, global warming is happening, but is not guaranteed to be man made and other factors could come into play:

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm just lazy and don't feel like going to my storage locker, dig out tuber ware containers, to pull out all my Environment textbooks containing ample evidence and explanations of why and how. Also, I'm not your Mom, go and do your own online research. Get registered at your local diploma mill college to learn a thing about ecosystems and climate.

If you want an empirical argument, look elsewhere I have no inclination to make one for you. It has all been amalgamated into my psyche, no longer any need to pull up specific proofs. I was watching since childhood, long before it became a trendy thing.

As far as that photo shows, I did not mention the large signs dotting the trail saying :"Here is the Glacial foot in 1972" "Here is the glacial Foot in 1985" "Here is the glacial foot in 1999" and so on......
    "Due to Climate Changes and warming atmosphere"

Signs created by the National Park service. We don't democratically elect members of government agencies, like you do in America, therefore, our Parks Canada bureaucracies are run by real scientists with actual degrees, not autocrats. They don't just make up park signs to fit a particular political agenda. Those signs are totally trustworthy. If it has a sentence that says due to global warming, it means much thought and care went into making sure that sentence was accurate.

If you want some Hail Mary proof, like I said look elsewhere.

Global warming is real for me and most other human beings. Get over yourselves.

"No but man there is this alternate theory that some scientist said and we should just throw out the whole of science for the past 150 years because all alternate points of view are valid"
    Last edited by wacey; 02-02-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global warming.. Another way to tax the ordinary man (and woman.)

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as change being the only constant. Sure, life will def go on, its been here for a billion years longer than the smart naked ape and will be here long after we are dust.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global warming.. Another way to tax the ordinary man (and woman.)
    No--> Global warming a climatic trend that governments are responding to by taxing man. Because we are causing it by way of numerous mechanisms.

Are you ACTUALLY that obtuse to believe its just a way that governments have decided they can make more money? Do you think its not an actual phenomenon out there?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast