Thread: Ni vs Si examples

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ni vs. Si examples

The whole "Ni is about time, Si is about space" thing is taken way too literally by most. It only works in the most abstract sense, to the extent that it's not really even worth talking about, imo.

Si Example 1: My ESE boss knows the city of Milwaukee extremely well. No matter where you are, you can call him and ask him how to get anywhere else, and based on the time of day and any construction/detours that he knows about he can tell you the fastest way to get there. He also knows how long it will take to get from any location to any other location. Yes, it's time... something we've generally thought of to be a Ni aspect... but it's not underlying. It's readily apparent. It's Si.

Si Example 2: My ESE boss said to me one time, "If you're going to drive around with that later in your back seat, you should buckle it in so that if you come to a sudden stop it doesn't fly forward and hit you in the head." A lot of people would see this as Ni as well because it involves future events, but it's about the external dynamics of fields, not internal. It's Si.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he sounds cool.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, if you want to know the best place to shop for something or go out to eat, he always has excellent suggestions for those as well.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    The whole "Ni is about time, Si is about space" thing is taken way too literally by most. It only works in the most abstract sense, to the extent that it's not really even worth talking about, imo.

Si Example 1: My ESE boss knows the city of Milwaukee extremely well. No matter where you are, you can call him and ask him how to get anywhere else, and based on the time of day and any construction/detours that he knows about he can tell you the fastest way to get there. He also knows how long it will take to get from any location to any other location. Yes, it's time... something we've generally thought of to be a Ni aspect... but it's not underlying. It's readily apparent. It's Si.

Si Example 2: My ESE boss said to me one time, "If you're going to drive around with that later in your back seat, you should buckle it in so that if you come to a sudden stop it doesn't fly forward and hit you in the head." A lot of people would see this as Ni as well because it involves future events, but it's about the external dynamics of fields, not internal. It's Si.
    I realize I'm only role, but I'm good at both of these kinds of things illustrated in the examples above. Perhaps there's occasionally such a significant overlap between the working dynamics of and that they can produce almost identical results.

Really, the only practical side of my nature involves things. Sensory recall, detail and attention to how external environmental characteristics might coincide or clash with subjective preferences.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ESE husband sounds like your boss in that he can tell you the best routes and the most efficient ways to do things (including getting places but other things too). however, he's actually pretty bad at figuring out how long something is going to take. And this may just be a personal quirk of his but he almost always underestimates how long things take, even if he's experienced it in the past. One thing I hate is when he insists on trying short-cuts. He does this all the time without even knowing if it's going to work or not. Drives me crazy. Thinks he can come up with more efficient ways to get there and "beat" the system.

Although I will often take the inefficient route or way of doing something (either because it's more familiar or more comfortable to me for some reason), I'm really good at predicting how long it's going to take and giving myself enough time. One thing that's nice is that we both hate to be late so between his route suggestions and my ability to kind of plan and know when we need to leave, we are almost never late as a couple (unless we end up taking one of his hair-brained short-cuts)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni is when I sit outside and receive messages from the moon.

Si is when I come back in and eat 5 pieces of pizza.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone here has even said anything that could possibly sound like . I mean the people here are parading around talking about how.... "Oh, you're INTp or INFp because you have Introverted Intuition", yet no one even knows what the hell it is. Everytime someone even tries to define it, they end up saying something that is strikingly similar to what supposed to be. That doesn't make fucking sense, I'm sorry to say. Oh, ENTps look at the possibilities, but INTps look at the magical possibilities!!!!?!?! Does anyone else realize the absurdity to this?

Sometimes you get the bullshit about how is supposed to be about time. What the hell does that mean? Everyone notices time in different ways. Everyone uses time in different ways. To say that is time makes NO FUCKING SENSE. The truth is, no one knows what the fuck is. They just keep saying shit that is completely retarded just because everyone else says it.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta
    Sometimes you get the bullshit about how Ni is supposed to be about time. What the hell does that mean? Everyone notices time in different ways. Everyone uses time in different ways. To say that is time makes NO FUCKING SENSE. The truth is, no one knows what the fuck Ni is. They just keep saying shit that is completely retarded just because everyone else says it.
    Finally hitta says something that makes sense.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Finally hitta says something that makes sense.
    I always say things that make sense, you just have shit for brains. Most of the things that are said go over your head and after everyone talks you attempt to make fun of them even though you have no fucking clue what they said.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always say things that make sense, you just have shit for brains. Most of the things that are said go over your head and after everyone talks you attempt to make fun of them even though you have no fucking clue what they said.
    Another insecure cop-out, hitta? It's getting pathetic now.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another insecure cop-out, hitta? It's getting pathetic now.
    Suck on my balls and play with my prostate.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suck on my balls and play with my prostate.
    translation: hitta crying when there is external discord.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

translation: hitta crying when there is external discord.
    oh, quit trying to rationalize your insecurities.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    post a video of you doing that tickle-me-elmo thing
    i would if i didn't have a sore throat
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, quit trying to rationalize your insecurities.
    translation: hitta projecting in order to preserve the collective harmony he so desperately seeks.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

translation: hitta projecting in order to preserve the collective harmony he so desperately seeks.
    What the fuck? Collective Harmony? Are you putting words together just because they sound good? How the fuck have I attempted to create collective harmony? Dear god, you are fucking moronic.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the fuck? Collective Harmony? Are you putting words together just because they sound good? How the fuck have I attempted to create collective harmony? Dear god, you are fucking moronic.
    it's quite lucid how desperately you seek external validation. but that is the last thing I will say in this desultory argument. enjoy your life.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

it's quite lucid how desperately you seek external validation. but that is the last thing I will say in this desultory argument. enjoy your life.
    And what exactly are you doing now? Everything that a person does is due to external validation in some form, otherwise no one would do anything. And you can sit there and say what you want, your logic is flawed. There is a reason for everything action that a person purposely does, and everything that a person does is directly dependent on the outside world. You wouldn't even be on this forum if you weren't judging peoples actions to your ideas and statements.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    having a number of travel times memorized and referring back to them routinely is very Te+Si. you are mastering an understanding of a particular area of space -- and only noting changes as a routine form a maintenance in your understanding. note this understanding would be particularly useful if an Ne type suggests haphazardly to go eat lunch at X and then watch a movie at Y today. the knowledge of a niche area helps the Si type keep itself and the Ne type securely in equillibrium with that area as needs and wants arise.

say instead your research has a wider geographical swath. say you're following the delivery rates and times of widgets at major ports. you have your own inventory of widgets to deliver and you want to extract the highest profits possible at each port. identifying opportunities for a time of delivery for your own widgets would be Ni-ing the Te you're constantly gathering.

your boss's timings are external and physical because they mostly are a function of the geography and other physical characteristics of Milwaukee (speed limits, intersections, etc.) the widget deliveries instead involve an abstract understanding of price changes and their causes.
    Perfect.

Let's also remember that knowledge of roads is also a function of something completely unrelated to socionics, namely experience with the roads themselves. I know a great number of roads in a ray of 40 kms from my home simply because I have traveled (by car or by bike) through them. Some people lack this knowledge because they tend to be less explorative. By this token I would expect extraverts and emotion-creating individuals to be the most expert on the matter, and introverted construct-creating individuals to be the least expert.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what exactly are you doing now? Everything that a person does is due to external validation in some form, otherwise no one would do anything. And you can sit there and say what you want, your logic is flawed. There is a reason for everything action that a person purposely does, and everything that a person does is directly dependent on the outside world. You wouldn't even be on this forum if you weren't judging peoples actions to your ideas and statements.
    Since this is actually a logical response that doesn't aim to insult me, I will treat it as the first statement in a new conversation. What you have said is correct on a very general level, but it has very little correlation to my observations about you seeking validation. But I think you know that as well as I do, and are just trying to find a loophole.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    Wow.

Let me just say that I completely disagree with this statement.
    SEE

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Wow.

Let me just say that I completely disagree with this statement.
    I'd be willing to guess you're not alone. Hitta just likes to make vague philosophical statements like this because he thinks they make him appear smart.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think there's a degree of what we've termed "intellectual masturbation" in what he said, but I also think he's assuming that others value the same things he does.
    SEE

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since this is actually a logical response that doesn't aim to insult me, I will treat it as the first statement in a new conversation. What you have said is correct on a very general level, but it has very little correlation to my observations about you seeking validation. But I think you know that as well as I do, and are just trying to find a loophole.
    If it wasn't for social validation then why in the hell would you be arguing with me? Every social interactions purpose is to produce a certain response within another person or a group of people. If that wasn't the reason, we wouldn't have social interactions. Social relationships give us confidence when the produce the correct emotional responses. This is for everybody, and there is really no way around it. I'd suggest taking a sociology class.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do think there's a degree of what we've termed "intellectual masturbation" in what he said, but I also think he's assuming that others value the same things he does.
    It has nothing to do what I value or you value or whoever values what. It is a mechanism. You wouldn't produce social associations unless you weren't looking for a reaction in return. It is virtually impossible to live outside of this mechanism(due to our learning). People do thinks because of their neuroticisms. There is a reason for everything, and there always will be a reason for everything, unless a god comes down here and changes things up or something weird. People will not engage in social communication unless they actually have a reason to do so.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you're saying. I have quite a distaste for looking at things from the perspective you described earlier though.
    SEE

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it wasn't for social validation then why in the hell would you be arguing with me? Every social interactions purpose is to produce a certain response within another person or a group of people. If that wasn't the reason, we wouldn't have social interactions. Social relationships give us confidence when the produce the correct emotional responses. This is for everybody, and there is really no way around it. I'd suggest taking a sociology class.
    As I said before, this is accurate on a very general level, but it is basically innocuous in this context.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As I said before, this is accurate on a very general level, but it is basically innocuous in this context.
    No it isn't, I'm showing you your hypocrisy. You are an attention seeker just like everyone else.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you're saying. I have quite a distaste for looking at things from the perspective you described earlier though.
    The appeal of making your own luck through personal strength loses its efficacy in a deterministic world.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see what determinism has to do with what hitta said initially. (I'm not really interested in getting into the subject though, in all honesty.)
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    The appeal of making your own luck through personal strength...
    This isn't exactly my stance, btw. I see different cause and effect relationships than what you seem to be describing. (Personal strength is created the same way luck is.)
    SEE

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it isn't, I'm showing you your hypocrisy. You are an attention seeker just like everyone else.
    Yes, I am an attention-seeker. The difference between me and you is that you depend on external approval, whereas I just like to showboat.

And don't tell me you're showing me my hypocrisy by spewing some arbitrary Ti bullshit that is unrelated to the context at hand.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, I am an attention-seeker. The difference between me and you is that you depend on external approval, whereas I just like to showboat.

And don't tell me you're showing me my hypocrisy by spewing some arbitrary Ti bullshit that is unrelated to the context at hand.
    Lol... so your saying I depend on attention more than you? This is a dumb argument. Its just gonna go back and forth with each of us saying the other is more attention seeking. I don't feel like doing this. You're a moron.... The End.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the subject of defining Ni, I think Strrrng had a really good description of it in the chat last night. I believe he said something about Ne as an array of individual possibilities whereas Ni is more like a constantly shifting potential. Perhaps some of the issues with Ne and Ni is that they are not something physically observable in an individual. They're largely internalized, so you have to rely on how an individual describes their method of processing and observing to you.

This is how I see it:

Ne assesses how a potential can change the system and Ni, inversely, assesses how a change to the system could alter it's potential. Ne observes individual possibilities and how they come together (Fi/Ti) for a big external picture, Ni observes the bigger possibility and how external forces (Fe/Te) affect the final outcome.

I would say that the reason people often associate time with Ni is because time is key to assessing a large potential, whereas the static nature of Ne is more independent of time. Time is a way of assigning a tangible accessory to Ni, which is in reality too much of an abstracted vision to really assign it a concrete substance.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol... so your saying I depend on attention more than you? This is a dumb argument. Its just gonna go back and forth with each of us saying the other is more attention seeking. I don't feel like doing this. You're a moron.... The End.
    lol, hitta the hut sits back on the couch with a bullshit rationalization to mitigate his ego.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see what determinism has to do with what hitta said initially. (I'm not really interested in getting into the subject though, in all honesty.)
    It appears I misread his initial statement.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expat will give an example of an SLI plumber enjoying a smoke while the LIE's cellar basement is flooded, to illustrate the difference between Ni and Si. He will do this because I told him to, and because he can explain it better than I can (I forgot the Ni side of it).

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a test?
    SEE