Thread: Humans found to have sixth taste - fat

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Humans found to have sixth taste - fat

Last edited by Hays; 05-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that the actual physical taste receptors themselves would not likely change according to type, but the ability and/or tendency to focus on and take note of the information received from the taste receptors would be related to type, and likely primarily the Sensing/Intuition dichotomy.

I have no way of confirming that that is indeed the case, but that's what seems likely to me.
    Quaero Veritas.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmm baby, pass me more of your mouth watering fat. It feels so warm and good in my mouth. I'll never get enough, I'm so bad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzy View Post
    This article was in the news this morning. Humans can detect the taste of fat to varying degrees which in turn tells them when to stop eating eat it. Those not very sensitive to the taste of fat can over consume which creates an energy imbalance which in turn leads to obesity.

They say that fat has a very nice texture to it, or feel when in the mouth. So could this all be linked to introverted versus extroverted sensing in some way or perhaps overall it's more sensing versus intuition?

Humans found to have sixth taste - fat
    maybe i'm super sensitive to this. my worst eating experience ever was trying a hunk of otoro, supposedly the best sushi cut in existence, and spitting it right back out into a napkin. i couldn't make myself eat that much fat.

however, i guess this idea that those who are super sensitive to the taste of fat are less likely to be obese sort of screws the idea that sensors are heavier on the whole. i feel as though there's a bias towards typing the heavier as sensing.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    maybe i'm super sensitive to this. my worst eating experience ever was trying a hunk of otoro, supposedly the best sushi cut in existence, and spitting it right back out into a napkin. i couldn't make myself eat that much fat.

however, i guess this idea that those who are super sensitive to the taste of fat are less likely to be obese sort of screws the idea that sensors are heavier on the whole. i feel as though there's a bias towards typing the heavier as sensing.
    Forgetting to eat outweighs any sort of aversion to particular foods.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that some people have heightened "senses" in certain ways and that it's just genetic--but that it doesn't really/always correlate with being a sensor necessarily (e.g excellent vision doesn't correlate with being a sensor, but some people may have excellent vision and a good eye for spotting everything and fail to miss any detail with their eyes and *that* might be related to being a sensor).

For instance, Supertaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia-s may have increased sensitivity to fats but also to just about every taste and then may be picky eaters.

I'm sure it's type related to the extent that everything is... but I don't know if it really means that much because it doesn't say anything about how aware they are about the experience of eating or anything, only that they have a super-sensitive tasting system. It probably goes hand in hand with "sensing" in a way, but also people who are picky eaters I think are pretty common among intuitors supposedly (maybe even more common)?

Anyway, /$0.02

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Divided View Post
    Mmmm baby, pass me more of your mouth watering fat. It feels so warm and good in my mouth. I'll never get enough, I'm so bad.
    That's what she said.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Forgetting to eat outweighs any sort of aversion to particular foods.
    sure, but people have different reasons for "forgetting to eat" the most common ascribed to inuitors is being stuck in their own brain so they just forget. if i "forget to eat," it's often because i'm just not hungry.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleurgh. I hate the taste of "pure" fat esp. purely animal fat (I am OK with high fat cheese)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    It seems to me that the actual physical taste receptors themselves would not likely change according to type, but the ability and/or tendency to focus on and take note of the information received from the taste receptors would be related to type, and likely primarily the Sensing/Intuition dichotomy.

I have no way of confirming that that is indeed the case, but that's what seems likely to me.
    there may be a mechanism for up/downregulating taste receptors on the tongue involving central command from the CNS.
    neuroplasticity studies show that ppl who are trained on a sensory learning task have increased receptors in the relevant part of the body, corresponding with increased neurons in the part of the brain that deals with the task.
    by the same underlying mech's, ppl who routinely pay attention to the taste of food (S types more so than N) may have more taste receptors and brain regions involved in interpretting taste.
    whether there is a likely difference in the nature of the receptors? dunno...

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Last edited by pinkcanary; 06-10-2017 at 02:02 AM.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xixi View Post
    there may be a mechanism for up/downregulating taste receptors on the tongue involving central command from the CNS.
    neuroplasticity studies show that ppl who are trained on a sensory learning task have increased receptors in the relevant part of the body, corresponding with increased neurons in the part of the brain that deals with the task.
    by the same underlying mech's, ppl who routinely pay attention to the taste of food (S types more so than N) may have more taste receptors and brain regions involved in interpretting taste.
    whether there is a likely difference in the nature of the receptors? dunno...
    Interesting. I've done a bit of reading on neuroplasticity, but haven't studied it in depth. That does sound plausible, though.
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would take a simple poll of self-identifying N types to determine.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

S/N

But N's have a bigger problem then just fat absorbtion. Such as breaking down of protein.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Would take a simple poll of self-identifying N types to determine.
    Now that I think about it, I for one have never really focused on consciously distinguishing between different tastes. Being able to say things like "Oh, I can taste the oregano in that!" has always been a mysterious ability other people possess that I've never really put any effort into developing in myself. Food in my mind is generally categorized by its overall flavour rather than breaking it down into individual components, and only occasionally I'll get a burst of extra detail surface from my subconscious like "Hey, I could actually taste the coffee in that Coffee Crisp bar!" And then I go back to thinking about Egyptian history or quantum physics or the Ninja Turtles or whatever weird thing I happen to be thinking about at the moment.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-male

Next time I see a fat kid I'll just stare at him, when it gets akward and he asks why I am staring at him, I'll lick my lips and be like "I can smell the fat from here"......

- but seriously! Is this an actual taste or just like something about texture and sensation etc?

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    S/N

But N's have a bigger problem then just fat absorbtion. Such as breaking down of protein.
    ... Intuition is linked to problems breaking down proteins.... silly me, I thought that had to do with your genetics and celluar metabolism and amino acids.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now that I think about it, I for one have never really focused on consciously distinguishing between different tastes. Being able to say things like "Oh, I can taste the oregano in that!" has always been a mysterious ability other people possess that I've never really put any effort into developing in myself. Food in my mind is generally categorized by its overall flavour rather than breaking it down into individual components, and only occasionally I'll get a burst of extra detail surface from my subconscious like "Hey, I could actually taste the coffee in that Coffee Crisp bar!" And then I go back to thinking about Egyptian history or quantum physics or the Ninja Turtles or whatever weird thing I happen to be thinking about at the moment.
    Same here. I think distinguishing the individual ingredients in something is the domain of .
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In actuality, there's a lot of other "tastes" that you can taste that aren't considered one of the main tastes. Like when you can tell something is dry or most by it's taste, spicy/coolness with a hot spice verses a cool mint. I personally feel like I can taste what has preservatives in it, but I'm not sure if that's just sensing the quality of food. Either way, Socionics is dealing with thought processes and information metabolism... EVERYONE can taste things, it isn't under the domination of one IE

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This research is being partially completed at and by the students at my university. I wouldn't have even known, but I stumbled upon it on my student login page in recent news
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    S/N

someone, make it stop...please...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Crikey! It appeahs thet hyoomens cen tahyst enamul fet!"

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    someone, make it stop...please...
    No we should keep feeding it just to experiment and see how ridiculous the conversation can get.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Divided View Post
    Interesting, why are you activated by this?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html