Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't believe so.

No Longer a Tadpole... Flat Footed Frog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dunno, maybe to a degree where naturally what we perceive as shyness more commonly associated with introverts who take a bit too warm up to people. But i think some extraverts can be shy also. Also i think culture and levels of confidence affect it too.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shyness is first and foremost subtype-related.

Are you familiar with the DCNH system? The Harmonizing subtype of many or most types can be very shy...

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. People are only perceived as shy when they are hesitant. Since it is an extroverts world, introverts tend to get the shaft of the extrovert rod shoved up to where the sun don't shine when it comes to what is considered shy by most. Maybe it's time we take out the big guns

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think shyness is very type related but that it doesn't really do any good in typing someone since any type can be shy.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

It's not related to INFj's; I can tell you that much.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IP types are most at risk of being considered shy. IJ types often lack social initiative but aren't hessistant to assert themselves.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Oh, I see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shyness can be genetic or learned (in any type).

Of course introverts might resemble shy people, but many introverts are not shy, but simply quiet by choice.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Shyness Type Related?
    It is. Nothing to worry about though. You're not just your type.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    It is. Nothing to worry about though. You're not just your type.
    What types are you thinking of? In which regard do you think it`s related to types, if you don`t mind the question? (I`m just curious)

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has to do with quadra values...merry types are shy around people they don't understand, serious types are shy around people they don't know, etc

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    What types are you thinking of? In which regard do you think it`s related to types, if you don`t mind the question? (I`m just curious)
    Introverts, Intuitives and Thinkers would be more shy than Extraverts, Sensors and Feelers, in general.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    IP types are most at risk of being considered shy. IJ types often lack social initiative but aren't hessistant to assert themselves.
    I agree with this, and I think introverts are more socially introverted on average. I think Fe types will try to be more socially extroverted. So you can peg an ISFp as shy when younger, but then grow out its Fe side and not necessarily become a lot more initiating, but more social and expressive.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    I think it has to do with quadra values...merry types are shy around people they don't understand, serious types are shy around people they don't know, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Introverts, Intuitives and Thinkers would be more shy than Extraverts, Sensors and Feelers, in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I agree with this, and I think introverts are more socially introverted on average. I think Fe types will try to be more socially extroverted. So you can peg an ISFp as shy when younger, but then grow out its Fe side and not necessarily become a lot more initiating, but more social and expressive.
    => ILI (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, IP, serious)?

Makes sense with Fe-PoLR, although shyness can be overcome.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I think these are probably the biggest factors. I think subtype also plays a role, but only in terms of exaggerating or moderating the IE factors Brilliand mentioned.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni=hesitate

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think shyness is very cute and attractive but,

A friend I look up to told me that when people focus on themselves they usually are depressed and unhappy but when they focus on others, they become lighter and happier. And this is true for me. No matter their personality. Going inward too much just makes you stuck and emo.

Human beings were meant to be givers, and to help others, and to reach out. We all do this in our own way. Because of my personality temperament I can't really help the way an esfj would but I can still do my part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey check this out:
    Study Sheds Light on What Makes People Shy | LiveScience

The brains of shy or introverted individuals might actually process the world differently than their more extroverted counterparts, a new study suggests.

About 20 percent of people are born with a personality trait called sensory perception sensitivity (SPS) that can manifest itself as the tendency to be inhibited, or even neuroticism. The trait can be seen in some children who are "slow to warm up" in a situation but eventually join in, need little punishment, cry easily, ask unusual questions or have especially deep thoughts, the study researchers say.

The new results show that these highly sensitive individuals also pay more attention to detail, and have more activity in certain regions of their brains when trying to process visual information than those who are not classified as highly sensitive.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabelie View Post
    I'm just curious.
    There is a larger percentage of introverts among shy people then extraverts.

Though there still exist extraverts who are shy, I know an ESE and SEE who call themselves shy.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    hey check this out:
    Study Sheds Light on What Makes People Shy | LiveScience

The brains of shy or introverted individuals might actually process the world differently than their more extroverted counterparts, a new study suggests.

About 20 percent of people are born with a personality trait called sensory perception sensitivity (SPS) that can manifest itself as the tendency to be inhibited, or even neuroticism. The trait can be seen in some children who are "slow to warm up" in a situation but eventually join in, need little punishment, cry easily, ask unusual questions or have especially deep thoughts, the study researchers say.

The new results show that these highly sensitive individuals also pay more attention to detail, and have more activity in certain regions of their brains when trying to process visual information than those who are not classified as highly sensitive.
    I definitely have SPS, probably relates to my recent type confusion.

I do take issue with the assumption that all introverts are shy and vice versa.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-female

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I think shyness is very cute and attractive but,

A friend I look up to told me that when people focus on themselves they usually are depressed and unhappy but when they focus on others, they become lighter and happier. And this is true for me. No matter their personality. Going inward too much just makes you stuck and emo.

Human beings were meant to be givers, and to help others, and to reach out. We all do this in our own way. Because of my personality temperament I can't really help the way an esfj would but I can still do my part.
    Mm yeah! It took some time for me to learn this, this actual nice thing and not just the associations that came pre-attached. For example one sentence into writing this and reading "It took some time for me to learn this" already turns my stomach instinctively even though I didn't write it in that way, the phrase associated with annoyance and wanting to kick someone or implode. And knowing the difference and separating them takes time. It's like there are phrases I associate from forever with religious martyrdom, and I can't stand that, so if I'd hear people gasping a bit through their tears in church like "It's taking time for me to grow in God's way" it's like grotesque and silly and relatable and ridiculous all at the same time, a mockery of real human emotion, and it's twisted, and you can tell the difference, and it's not like I blame the people exactly, or judge them, (well I do judge them, but you have to differentiate judge and judge, one is discerning, the other is bigoted), because there is real there, and it's desperate every morning like clockwork, real desperate, but it's also like resigned desperate, and like they needed that purging but then go about their daily business for the rest of the week and then come back, like clockwork. It's like they accidentally fell into those groove things that keep circling around and around and around and aren't really aware of the decisions they're making moment by moment anymore.

Like every time I was unhappy or talked about how hard things were people would say "focus on others" etc. But it's like they were hedged to squeak that out, or someone pressed a button, like ding ding ding the toast is done and your squeaky clean answer btw, and their smiles are all the while leaking with discontent and jagged edges. Like to me it just doesn't make sense if you are having problems to immediately stuff them down like you don't have them and then project all your energy on the nearest person. That's still negative and you haven't solved the problem. I've seen people in my life deal with their problems by turning into martyrs or escapists and I guess I don't mind cause that makes them them and they're endearing. But that doesn't work for me, I have to fight before I learn. And I'd ask people, what are you really thinking, when you're dealing with this, don't give me the censored version, don't spit out what God wants you to say, and it was hard for them to be honest except for flashes in the dark or the turn of the head. And I think that's partly my fault because I was expecting too much, or putting too much pressure on them to be real, and it's like the ornery resistant part came out of them, or the time of the day when you want to block things out and just can't be bothered, or when people are looking at you standing still with squeaky wide eyes but kind of dumbly, like they're victims waiting to be told what to do and you just want to tell them, go give yourself a paper cut already, run somewhere, do something with passion the fuck already, it doesn't have to have a reason, just exert yourself, or the overlapping timelines where someone is always a bit ahead of you and won't really give advice so you're just waiting to catch up to them but by the time you're there they've already gone ahead and it's like fu.

I've learned by experience and I couldn't have it any other way but it's been disappointing to learn that a lot of people just won't talk about it at all. But then I got past idealizing them because it turns out that what I learned belongs to me after all. And that it's nice for some reason. No one has a step by step manual about their experiences prior to learning this and it made me..desperate a bit because I was expecting one. But part of learning is just holding your tongue and watching other people flounder cause experience is the best teacher. And when they're left alone they'll either learn or they won't. Although I've found myself disgusted with the people who withheld important information needlessly when someone was in pain. Sometimes you have to lift the hot poker off the other person's skin just so they can have some relief, and that's human. But you don't really want to start a co-dependency cycle and get entrenched in something darkly parasite-ish and nihilism farting. So you have to have balance, and let people get stronger by using their own muscles, too. But overall I think people are pretty ok, and also pretty stupid, but that can be endearing, but...ehm. So basically people just do what they can.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah. I think what I'm saying is, I think we all have to be connected somehow. Even if you're being very selfish, at least be very selfish around others. I just never really found the answers being by myself in my room, isolating myself completely. (Except for one or two times but I got addicted) It's like, humans were meant to be social. And real life is never ideal and rarely happy and gay like I want it to be, but when something bad happens I need to learn how to handle it.

I don't mean to tie that statement up in a pretty bow too much either. Because it's like, when people DO know something and have a 'aha moment' about life, they try to teach others that but the problem is they take the advice too absolutist. It's like a teacher is too pure. And they try to apply it in situations where it doesn't work. It's like.....they are afraid of being embarrassed so they have to be a doctor, a lawyer, a carptener, a therapist, all in once you know, like psychologically that's what they were doing. It's like you need some empathy understanding each individual situations and where they currently at, cause there is a time when, just being by yourself alone would actually be the solution.

But then when like you focus on pure reality you notice that it's like, 'oh shit I just tried taking my car in to get fixed by a gay hairstylist man who doesn't know shit about cars. I should have trusted him just with my feelings but I sort of fucked up and broke everything because I metaphorically held on a porcelain doll too tightly and it broke, just like in the fefe dobson song.