Thread: Placebo effect

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Placebo effect

Is there a relationship between Type and sensitivity to the placebo effect?

I was discussing this with my girlfriend this morning, and in my opinion she's very sensitive to the placebo effect: things work for her because she believes in them, whereas I have a much more sceptical approach. In fact, I think in many ways she's better off than I am.

e.g. when restless, she will take a shower for half an hour, and also recommends me to do the same thing. She also believes things such as valerian, sleepy time tea and melantonin in miniscule amounts (in the Netherlands melantonin is only available off the shelf in strengths that according to science should have no effect) help het sleep better. I've tried them too, but they don't help (however, a glass of warm milk with some sugar does )
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given a placebo migraine medicine once and it didn't do jack shit. It's evil to do that to people. But the doctor thought my headaches might have just been caused by stress or something and that the placebo would do the trick. That was a long time ago.

But maybe it would work for me in other cases, like with less serious pain or something? I took valerian for a while and it just gave me funny dreams. It didn't really make me sleep better.

My sister is a hypochondriac and I really think it would work for her, but just because half or more of her ailments are imagined in the first place.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    My sister is a hypochondriac and I really think it would work for her, but just because half or more of her ailments are imagined in the first place.
    Yeah, I can imagine how such attention seeking behavior (what hypochondria very often is) would be sensitive to placebo effect. Do you know your sister's type?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Yeah, I can imagine how such attention seeking behavior (what hypochondria very often is) would be sensitive to placebo effect. Do you know your sister's type?
    INFj
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. is your new avatar an expression of how you value Te and Si?

I typically ask for such kitchen stuff as presents for my birthday. Things like ice cream makers, smoothie blenders, espresso makers and such. Basically Te things that create Si stuff, I believe...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    P.S. is your new avatar an expression of how you value Te and Si?

I typically ask for such kitchen stuff as presents for my birthday. Things like ice cream makers, smoothie blenders, espresso makers and such. Basically Te things that create Si stuff, I believe...
    I love kitchen gadgets. And our oven broke and we just got a new one (that works MUCH better) so I'm interested in baking and what-not again.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I love kitchen gadgets. And our oven broke and we just got a new one (that works MUCH better) so I'm interested in baking and what-not again.
    Okay, if you give me your best secret recipe, I'll share one of mine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She also believes things such as valerian (...) help het sleep better.
    Valerian really helps. Lately, I took more than it's recommended and I couldn't get out of bed in the morning, hehe.

Is there a relationship between Type and sensitivity to the placebo effect?
    I think that feeling types tend to believe more in medicines - that's all.
    IEE. subtype.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see why a shower being relaxing indicates the presence of a placebo effect. It could actually be relaxing.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I can't see why a shower being relaxing indicates the presence of a placebo effect. It could actually be relaxing.
    Actually, you're right. I certainly think it is for my girl friend. Let's drop the showers from the list then.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has never worked for me but my EIE mom seems to be pretty susceptible.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.