Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Vincent Van Gogh

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Vincent Van Gogh

Vincent van Gogh: A Complex Character

Van Gogh cut a striking figure. Jo van Gogh-Bonger, who became acquainted with Vincent in 1890, described him in her introduction to the 1914 letters edition as ‘a robust, broad-shouldered man with a healthy complexion, a cheerful expression and something very determined in his appearance’. Small in stature, he had green eyes, a red beard and freckles; his hair was ginger-coloured like that of his brother Theo, his junior by four years. He had a facial tic, and his hands seemed to be in constant motion. He was rather unsociable, which made him difficult to live with. People were often afraid of him, because of his wild and unkempt appearance and his intense manner of speaking. The way he looked and acted alienated people, which did not make life easy for him.

Van Gogh was almost always convinced that he was right, and this made him quite tiresome. He was a passionate, driven man, whose tendency to act like an egocentric bully made many people dislike him. They saw him as ‘a madman—a murderer—a vagabond’. Van Gogh refused to let this upset him: ‘[B]elieve me that I sometimes laugh heartily at how people suspect me (who am really just a friend of nature, of study, of work—and of people chiefly) of various acts of malice and absurdities which I never dream of’. He did not avoid confrontations, nor did he spare himself. Theo described him in a letter of March 1887 to their sister Willemien as ‘his own enemy’.
    Van Gogh was strongly inclined towards introspection: he never hesitated to explore and record his mood swings, or to redefine his moral position. He did this mainly because he had few people to talk to. Examining his own state of mind, he saw a ‘highly strung’ individual. At the age of twenty-nine, he sketched a merciless picture of himself:

Don’t imagine that I think myself perfect—or that I believe it isn’t my fault that many people find me a disagreeable character. I’m often terribly and cantankerously melancholic, irritable—yearning for sympathy as if with a kind of hunger and thirst—I become indifferent, sharp, and sometimes even pour oil on the flames if I don’t get sympathy. I don’t enjoy company, and dealing with people, talking to them, is often painful and difficult for me. But do you know where a great deal if not all of this comes from? Simply from nervousness—I who am terribly sensitive, both physically and morally, only really acquired it in the years when I was deeply miserable.

These last words refer to the years immediately before he embarked on his artistic career.
    However impulsive Van Gogh was, he generally set to work only after much deliberation: ‘For the great doesn’t happen through impulse alone, and is a succession of little things that are brought together’. Time and again, it was willpower and hard work that enabled Van Gogh to raise his low spirits. He repressed his feelings of guilt towards Theo, his dearest friend and confidant, and the only one who could cope with his difficult character. Vincent was well aware that his brother was investing a great deal in him, and the knowledge that he would never be able to repay Theo occasionally made him despair.
    Ever Yours: The Essential Letters. Edited by Leo Jansen, Hans Luijten, and Nienke Bakker

additional reading: Vincent van Gogh: The Letters
    Last edited by hag; 01-18-2020 at 04:31 AM.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the impression that he's SEI

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I relate a lot to van Gogh, in many ways we have similar characters. The quotes above suggest that he values Fe, so I believe that he's IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp, perhaps even an "introverted" (in the common sense) EIE like myself.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vincent Van Gogh - Dostoyevsky

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khcs View Post
    Vincent Van Gogh - Dostoyevsky

Well, he did somewhat physically resemble Dostoevsky himself, and the two lead similar lives of suffering and loneliness mixed with unconquered idealism.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

EII
    Last edited by WVBRY; 01-12-2019 at 09:11 PM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolus View Post
    I believe that he's IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    This. Dostoevsky, the author, and EII are more moralizing.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had difficult relationships with anyone close to him, according to his biography.. and would an EII cut off own ear?

Van Gogh was a serious and thoughtful child. ... He was encouraged to draw as a child by his mother, and his early drawings are expressive, but do not approach the intensity of his later work. His philosophy was to reject technique in favour of capturing the impressions of things, particularly nature or common objects. Van Gogh's profound unhappiness seems to have overshadowed the lessons, and in March 1868 he abruptly returned home. He later wrote that his youth was "austere and cold, and sterile".

In January 1879 he took up a post as a missionary at Petit-Wasmes. To show support for his impoverished congregation, he gave up his comfortable lodgings at a bakery to a homeless person, and moved to a small hut where he slept on straw. His squalid living conditions did not endear him to church authorities, who dismissed him for "undermining the dignity of the priesthood". He then walked the 75 kilometres (47 mi) to Brussels, but gave in to pressure from his parents to return home to Etten. He stayed there until around March 1880, which caused concern and frustration for his parents. His father was especially frustrated and advised that his son should be committed to the lunatic asylum at Geel.

In August 1881, his recently widowed cousin, Cornelia "Kee" Vos-Stricker, arrived for a visit. He was thrilled and took long walks with her. Kee was seven years older than he was, and had an eight-year-old son. Van Gogh surprised everyone by declaring his love to her and proposing marriage. She refused with the words "No, nay, never" ("nooit, neen, nimmer"). Kee would not meet him, and her parents wrote that his "persistence is disgusting". In despair, he held his left hand in the flame of a lamp, with the words: "Let me see her for as long as I can keep my hand in the flame."

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    He had difficult relationships with anyone close to him, according to his biography.. and would an EII cut off own ear?

Van Gogh was a serious and thoughtful child. ... He was encouraged to draw as a child by his mother, and his early drawings are expressive, but do not approach the intensity of his later work. His philosophy was to reject technique in favour of capturing the impressions of things, particularly nature or common objects. Van Gogh's profound unhappiness seems to have overshadowed the lessons, and in March 1868 he abruptly returned home. He later wrote that his youth was "austere and cold, and sterile".

In January 1879 he took up a post as a missionary at Petit-Wasmes. To show support for his impoverished congregation, he gave up his comfortable lodgings at a bakery to a homeless person, and moved to a small hut where he slept on straw. His squalid living conditions did not endear him to church authorities, who dismissed him for "undermining the dignity of the priesthood". He then walked the 75 kilometres (47 mi) to Brussels, but gave in to pressure from his parents to return home to Etten. He stayed there until around March 1880, which caused concern and frustration for his parents. His father was especially frustrated and advised that his son should be committed to the lunatic asylum at Geel.

In August 1881, his recently widowed cousin, Cornelia "Kee" Vos-Stricker, arrived for a visit. He was thrilled and took long walks with her. Kee was seven years older than he was, and had an eight-year-old son. Van Gogh surprised everyone by declaring his love to her and proposing marriage. She refused with the words "No, nay, never" ("nooit, neen, nimmer"). Kee would not meet him, and her parents wrote that his "persistence is disgusting". In despair, he held his left hand in the flame of a lamp, with the words: "Let me see her for as long as I can keep my hand in the flame."
    He was definitely much more confrontational and self-destructive in his life than most people think. Some have written that he might have had BPD.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wasn’t emotionally stable, so I think it could be hard to sift through all of that to try to get to his type. I don’t think cutting off his ear rules out EII, though.

“That’s because there are any number of potential causes that led Van Gogh to famously sever his own ear in 1888, and to
    kill himself two years later. Among the theories floated over the years are bipolar disorder, temporal lobe epilepsy, syphilis, borderline personality disorder, cycloid psychosis, and schizophrenia.”

-
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ar...53141/amp-page
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eie-ni? Reminds me a little of Nietzsche, who may also have been EIE-Ni.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

LII-Ne sx/so imo

possibly 5w4

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Few figures epitomize the lone artist more than Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh. He lived in the shadows of the artistic establishment and sold few paintings in his lifetime. But a close look at his life tells a story of someone engaged with his peers. He corresponded with many young artists in letters filled with shoptalk and unvarnished critiques of other painters. When he received his first good review, he sent a cypress tree to the critic as a present. He and Paul Gauguin made plans at one point to build an artist colony in the tropics. So why do people still say that Van Gogh was a splendid isolationist? Because it feeds into a satisfying story about the fountainhead of his genius. But the story is a myth. Neither a misfit nor a loner, he was an active participant in his time.
    ~ The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt he was infj. Way too much mad energy in his work.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intj! Love im

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm I typed him as IEI but I do wonder if he could have been a harmonizing EIE
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeaaa maybe you guys are right..some of the things he said sound quite similar to comments made by Jack Kerouac (who I’m pretty sure is EIE). Romanticising the downtrodden/ quotes about the stars..

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching the Van Gogh movie it seemed clear he was mobilized by the aggressor-parental roles of the people in his life, including his nearly gf. Seemed like a lot of issues taking care of his own physical needs and drifting from one place to the next. Yes, symptom of his disorder. Yes, symptom of his world view. But still, issues with taking care of himself. So, this needs to be factored into his sociotyping.

He reached more balanced periods when he was in a stable environment with shelter, food, sleep, belonging. I think the movie suggested he was accidentally murdered.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potentially IEI..because- he seemed quite good at surviving even though he was so troubled. Also he seemed to hold on to a lot of hope and was idealistic. His work also seems to have a kind of structure to it I find very soothing. As if he was trying to create some sort of order out of the chaos of life or depict the world as if it was a beautiful
    system that could be ultimately be appreciated and understood. Whatever type he was, he’s certainly one of the greatest artists ever

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now I’m leaning towards EII. Poor lovely guy. His art really is the best. Those potato eaters, and the flowers. He simply poured himself into his work. So much dynamism, you really feel like you can see what he saw and felt.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I think ESI- all those beautiful self-pitying quotes by him about being sad

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    Sometimes I think ESI- all those beautiful self-pitying quotes by him about being sad
    Depression makes one more self focused and absorbed:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41398-022-01790-8

It may explain that
    Last edited by Aster; 08-18-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought ESI when I saw his picture...

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposedly people can act like their dual when stressed. I don’t know could he be acting like an LIE when he goes on those mad painting sprees? He seemed to really want to push boundaries even though no one was interested in his work. He’s so endearing but kinda selfish- just lives off his brother’s money. ESI can be selfish..and very sweet. And he was moody..to the point he bothered people. He also was obsessed with his surroundings- in complete awe of them, reminds me of a couple of ESIs I know taking pics of their trips to beautiful places and posting them frequently on social media.

I heard recently he was actually colour blind

I remember reading his letters and feeling very connected to him, til about half way through and I was like oh gosh so much complaining! A good writer haha
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 08-18-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Van Gogh: probably IEE or something, that art looks so ugly, people only like him because he disembowled himself and ran over the hill with his guts hanging out and died. And as much as I don't really think socionics is accurate, IEE sounds like the craziest type, so I'm going to go with that.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    Van Gogh: probably IEE or something, that art looks so ugly, people only like him because he disembowled himself and ran over the hill with his guts hanging out and died. And as much as I don't really think socionics is accurate, IEE sounds like the craziest type, so I'm going to go with that.
    Self-mutilation should be much less prevalent in Si valuers.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blaecaedre View Post
    Self-mutilation should be much less prevalent in Si valuers.
    I'd think it'd be the most prevalent among them. It is a sensation. Who'd ruin the Se function of your arms for a little temporary Si pleasure other than Si-valuers?

not fully certain of my sociotype
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII (mb)
    Last edited by welcometomania; 11-11-2022 at 07:49 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, probably EII. EII men are ok. (Big compliment )
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 03-18-2023 at 09:24 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII (final). But which subtype?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    EII (final). But which subtype?
    Fi
    His emotional world in the depths of it are so strong
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html