Thread: (500)Days of Summer

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default (500)Days of Summer

I just saw this trailer for it and it seems like ILE - SEI duality. The girl seems really PoLR (she doesn't care about her's or anyone else's feelings, at least initially) and the guy (wasn't the kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun?) really reminds me of Kamajama.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD0NpFSADM"]YouTube - 500 Days of Summer - Official Full Length Trailer[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLe399FeWM4&feature=related"]YouTube- (500) Days of Summer - Boy Meets Girl[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJ5iYERJlA&feature=related"]YouTube- Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt - (500) Days Of Summer[/ame]

Also if anyone would like to fill me on whether it's a good movie or just a sappy love story, that would be great, so I can decide whether I should see it.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to have to see this one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking ILI for the girl and SEI for the guy. It's a good movie

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great movie, it's a chick flick with a dude as the main character.
    Easy Day

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great movie, but they are totally not duals. I would say extinguishment makes the most sense. Also, it is a romantic movie that deliberately goes against the "sappy love story" grain.

EDIT: I think he is SEI and she is SEE.
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I think they're Conflictors—Gordon-Levitt as Fi-ENFp and Deschanel as Se-ISTj.
    I bet that would make filming pretty awkward
    Stan is not my real name.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this movie a lot. It came on cinemax today.

I've always though Summer was IEI and dude was LSI. I think activity would make sense for them, because they always did like each other and I think Summer really wanted him as a friend-slash-permanent admirer. But maybe it's just because Summer is dark and twisty like they say on Grey's Anatomy and I tend to type all dark-twisty people as IEI. Heaven forbid they be quirky as well! That's a sure-fire sign of IEI. lol.

Anyway, I don't know that that's actually a good typing. However, I don't think that Summer is Fi-polr. I don't think it's a matter of not noticing others' emotional states, or not being able to gauge the effect actions you take will have on your relationships. I think she noticed and chose not to care. Regardless, I definitely think intuitive type for her, and sensory type for him. On the face of it, NT-SF makes the most sense, I suppose. I'd go Fe-polr over Fi-polr. She wasn't *actually* reluctant to define relationships; she was just reluctant to define her relationship with Tom, probably because she knew that he wasn't right for her. Personally, with the whole IEI typing, the way I saw it was, she knows (not quite consciously, just with the vague intuition thing) that Tom isn't right for her, but she can't consciously prove that he's wrong, and all the signs point to him being right for her, and she can tell that he really, really, really wants to be with her. So she stays with him, but she knows that she doesn't want to be with him or she sort of doesn't and that is interior conflict-y for her but she can't actively break things off, b/c she has super weak Se (not that all Se DS and polr are unable to end relationships just that if a person tends to be super-shy about ending things, it could be a result of weak Se, and weak Ti insofar as not being about to get clear of your emotions enough to make up your mind).

But that could just be me making up motivations that aren't actually in the script/character. I think Zooey Deschanel did a great job of creating backstory for that character though. You could tell that Zooey (or maybe Zooey and the writer/director) added a lot to who that character was that wasn't just in the dialogue. All the weird things she did seemed to come from somewhere organic, you know? Also, I found it very interesting that really a lot of the interest of the movie hung on Zooey Deschanel's character, but the film came from a very male perspective. I mean, that makes sense, since the guy is the main character, but there was something very male about how Summer was presented in the movie. It would be interesting to see a girl-centric take on the same character.

Anyway, they're definitely not duals. I think more activity, possibly extinguishment as was said. Extinguishment would make a lot of sense actually, except then they'd have to be same club, and he really seems S and she really seems N to me.

The music in this movie is awesome. I was listening to an interview and I think the director mentioned that he paid a lot of attention to getting the music right and I think it definitely paid off.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the film, I haven't seen it yet and I quickly chose those typings. So yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    However, I don't think that Summer is Fi-polr. I don't think it's a matter of not noticing others' emotional states, or not being able to gauge the effect actions you take will have on your relationships. I think she noticed and chose not to care.
    Actually that's a pretty good description of Fi PoLR. We do understand the external signals that people emit, which is . We can gauge how someone feels about us just from the way they're acting and the signals they're emitting around us, for example. (albeit not as well as any ego and we do get things wrong every now and again)

Caring about it, however, that's definitely a static attitude and not something that comes easily to us.

Fe PoLRs are the ones who are completely oblivious to others' visible emotional states and expressive signals.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Actually that's a pretty good description of Fi PoLR. We do understand the external signals that people emit, which is . We can gauge how someone feels about us just from the way they're acting and the signals they're emitting around us, for example. (albeit not as well as any ego and we do get things wrong every now and again)

Caring about it, however, that's definitely a static attitude and not something that comes easily to us.

Fe PoLRs are the ones who are completely oblivious to others' visible emotional states and expressive signals.
    Hm. Okay. It still seems to me a matter of not noticing some things. But maybe it's more of an Ni thing for me, like "can't you see how this action is going to make person x feel?" But perhaps it is just an indifference thing. But I know a few Fi-polrs, and there are quite a few things you all miss entirely, emotionally speaking. I think certain emotional reactions, or accusations of "insensitivity" and the like do take Fi-polrs by surprise. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Still... I don't think summer is Fi-polr. And perhaps "didn't care" is the wrong term. Maybe, "chose not to take care of" others' feelings is better. Although that is equally Fi-polr, perhaps. But yeah... it's like, that could be any Fi-nonvaluer to me. On the other hand, perhaps that makes ILI less likely. Shrug. I'm disinclined to do any real analysis.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this ages ago. I thought the guy seemed IEE.. but yeah - I find it hard to get past the actual actor's type. :-P Maybe the character was something different. I didn't get the impression they were duals at all though. Seemed a very awkward relationship.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SLI - Girl
    ILE - Guy

The whole movie was the guy not being able to tell the girl didn't feel the same way about him(Fi-polr) and the girl not being able to tell him that(Fe-polr).
    Last edited by mu4; 07-26-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Both actually.

1d and 2d functions are low information quality.

1d Fi polr = 2d Fe
    1d Fe polr = 2d Fi