Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The ILE Bias

I can't help but feel like the ILE type is portrayed as a master of existence when I look at the reinin dichotomies.

Every dichotomy is pretty much a positive thing.

carefree - speaks for itself

yielding - isn't pushy and demanding (and so far Bolt is neither, not even seemingly carefree )

static - reaches or sees simple conclusions, whereas dynamic is seeing a complex process and is never quite completely convinced or sure of anything.

democratic - will actually listen to you, where aristocratic cares more about your authority

tactical - doesn't mind getting hands dirty to make a point , where strategists are more careful and hands off as much as they can be

constructivist - gets points made in a timely manner, while emotivists waste a lot more time

positivist - speaks for itself

judicious - will try to take as many people and things into consideration as possible before making a decision

merry - speaks for itself

process - will try to get as much information as they can to understand things, whereas result just wants an immediate answer to a particular thought or question

asking - accepts that immediate conclusions could be wrong and asks for more information from you before promulgating. Contrast with declaring which is pretty much a statement of fact, or at least seemingly intended that way.

I think this is a little hilarious for something that is supposed to show people for their differences and not to show how certain types are better than others, but it really does seem to paint that.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ILE bias results in SFs being regarded in the opposite way. The same would go for anyone not so intellectually inclined/gifted as the ILE, like STs, NFs and so forth. They're really all unintelligent worms in comparison.

It's another shortcoming of the theory, and no coincidence given that Augusta was ILE :3
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DividedsGhost View Post
    I can't help but feel like the ILE type is portrayed as a master of existence when I look at the reinin dichotomies.

Every dichotomy is pretty much a positive thing.

I think this is a little hilarious for something that is supposed to show people for their differences and not to show how certain types are better than others, but it really does seem to paint that.
    Yes, the grass is greener over here

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILEs do tend to be pretty positive, but you are skewing some of the definitions. Also, just because ILEs are positive doesn't make them superior.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes both sides of each individual reinen dichotomy have their own strengths/weaknesses and are more or less balanced in individuals of similar health. The best explanation for why you see all those traits as positive however is that you hold them yourself. Likewise when someone first reads the +/- page of their particular type, they don't see the - side attributes as a bad thing (most realize later tho).

The most obvious counterexamples are the quadra-related dichotomies. Ask any Decisive person what side of the Judicious/Decisive dichotomy they perceive as superior, and you will get the opposing answer. Same with Serious/Merry.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the russians have known this was a problem for years.

this is what is going on in the Stephen Colbert thread: people expect the ENTp type to have all out of kick-ass originality, perfect logic, radiant charisma, physical confidence and social awareness.

in reality they only have the first two and suck royally at the rest. and we can argue about the "logic" part.

so: the Albert Einsteins, Paul Krugmans and David Deutches are the real ENTps. the other guys are something else entirely.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

erm. I wouldn't say that Albert Einstein doesn't appear to fit with most of those, knowing him personally and all.

I also wouldn't say they're all "positive" or are "the best" (I mean I wouldn't agree they're all positive... for instance I like "farsighted" better than "carefree").

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by golden; 06-09-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    It's another shortcoming of the theory, and no coincidence given that Augusta was ILE :3
    That's not the fault of the theory, it's in people's minds. Perhaps that's why everyone wants to be an Alpha, most know what an ILE is from the books, and when they find a super-intelligent mega-scientist they type him ILE. Checkmate.

If you know an ILE, or an Alpha, and you apply the description, it fits. But the description also fits your idealized image of these types. However this image does not fit the real person. Guess what's the problem. Well, there are more, first and foremost it's rationalization. People want just to read the guide and begin typing, they don't realize that one has actually to discover these types in real people, the theory is just a hint, it just provides the clues, fact that it's necessary to acknowledge as long as, according to the same theory, information is always interpreted in different manners by different people. It is not easy to understand the foolishness of some who believe they can type by merely applying a procedure, without any other addition/reasoning, who believe the Q&A tests can tell one's type, that there actually exists such thing as evidence which "speaks for itself" or traits that can be strictly defined, or that types use certain vocabularies, etc. Bullshit. If such things can tell anything for sure, they tell who's either a beginner or an idiot.

Extremely rarely someone points to actual examples to picture what they have in mind or what they saw, even more rarely people have the patience to check the big picture, how all the elements fit together, be it real people whom they type, or the explanations of someone else, merely sticking to notions or rigid details. Take for instance the idea of "narrow-minded". Oh please spare me, I don't believe that an LSI would have the same understanding in this term as an ILE, or an SLI, that would contradict the theory which defines these types in the first place. But hey, wait! We don't need to give examples, we're intellectuals, if we do that we're not professional enough, we must be able to communicate only in abstract notions and academic terms!

Concluding, typing requires experience, types can only be discovered, not learned. When you found them, they're real people, they can't be "biased".
    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    and we can argue about the "logic" part.
    Hmm, with who are you going to argue about that?
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the alpha-centrism of Socionics comes from the fact that the IM elements were described by the Alphas who founded Socionics in ways that make the Alpha elements seem human and real. Perhaps the people who came up with Socionics sought to describe non-Alpha elements in terms of people they didn't understand (and thus assumed to be the models for the other quadras).

Here's a caricature of the IM elements. I realize it's just a caricature, but it illustrates the essence of Alpha-centrism:

Ti - Everything having to do with logic and real thinking
    Te - That businessy stuff that those business people do
    Ne - Everything having to do with creativity, ideas, and intuition
    Ni - A strange ability to know what time it is without wearing a watch
    Si - Sensing the beauty of everything, being gentle and beautiful
    Se - Hitting and abusing other people
    Fe - Expressing emotions, feeling
    Fi - Some strange ability having to do with relationships, gossip, and moralizing, and not having anything to do with feeling

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I think the alpha-centrism of Socionics comes from the fact that the IM elements were described by the Alphas who founded Socionics in ways that make the Alpha elements seem human and real. Perhaps the people who came up with Socionics sought to describe non-Alpha elements in terms of people they didn't understand (and thus assumed to be the models for the other quadras).

Here's a caricature of the IM elements. I realize it's just a caricature, but it illustrates the essence of Alpha-centrism:

Fi - Some strange ability having to do with relationships, gossip, and moralizing, and not having anything to do with feeling
    ROFL this needs a sticky or something. I'm putting it in in the hall of fame.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to comment the obvious that what is "awesome" and "master of existence" is all a matter of perspective.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the alpha-centrism of Socionics comes from the fact that the IM elements were described by the Alphas who founded Socionics in ways that make the Alpha elements seem human and real.
    Yeah, that's exactly what the founders defined Se as.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome traits in a person are never only the result of his sociotype. That's what makes socionics boring after a while. That's also why more well rounded individuals come off as healthier than those who obsess about their quadra functions. This is very telling about the variations in the importance of intertype relations as described by socionics in real interactions vs everything not related to socionics in someone's personality.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    That's not the fault of the theory, it's in people's minds.
    ^ that.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I just want to comment the obvious that what is "awesome" and "master of existence" is all a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    ^ that.

Yeah, that's exactly what the founders defined Se as.
    Yeah...

I can't help but feel people are jumping on this supposed 'bias' because someone else perceived a bias... like... how easily could you have written a list, if this thread was about ISFj bias?

Ti - Wasting time making sure everything is correct before proceeding into action.
    Te - The initiative, efficiency, and organization needed to get results.
    Ni - The insight and perspective to see how things change over time, and what actually matters in life.
    Ne - Seeing how random things relate in an impractical, unuseful way.
    Si - Being overly sensitive to the things around you, wanting to relax in comfortable environments all the time and being lazy.
    Se - Having the drive and willpower to achieve the external objective, overcoming hardships. Observing what's tangible and real.
    Fi - A deep understanding of the real distance between people, and how strong relationships actually are.
    Fe - All the artificial stuff, the masks people put on, to hide how they truly feel on the inside.

It's all perspective.

Like seriously, I'm not aware of this 'Alpha bias' or 'ILE bias' that the OP mentions. ILE descriptions outline their faults... huge unawareness of sensing, losing small objects, being intrusive on others' conversations, having a poor psychological distance with people, happy one day and mean the next, etc. etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol Ni polr

EDIT: I was refering to you rarely perceiving the referential background and taking things very litterally which causes you to come off as out of context and/or captain obvious-ish sometimes.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by detail View Post
    lol Ni polr

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LMAO.

That was funny, but to be serious- If it's your polr I think you can't help but view that particular function as cartoony and crude and simple as that.

Cartoonish, crude, and simple things hold this certain power over you that basically breaks everybody's balls.

To you, they only have one dimension, and that particular single dimension is always coming straight toward you, like a STRAIGHT male penis invading your female-like innocence, compassion, integrity and humanism.

Other people don't think they are abusing you, they don't care, they see you as simply not being able to overcome adversity.

You might be able to intellectually rationalize a function and understand its uses, but it will *emotionally* get under your skin in a raw, romantic human way. You can pretend that it isn't the case but to other people it's quite obvious what is pushing your buttons and lighting you up and tearing you down.

And because love is about loving somebody even when they're weak and down, and not kicking them when they're down or bullying them for their obvious weak polr functions....that's why duality works. (and EP/IP & EJ/IJ energy is so complementary) Duals are blind to each other's polrs, they view it in a 'eh whatever' sense. Most people around the world are hateful to other human beings (except for a select few) because they chomped down their humanity in unforgiveable ways. To them, what you did was like casually eating an innocent human baby and then sociopathically burping afterwards with Homer Simpson-esque eyes.

Then you uncaringly wipe the debris of human baby out from your mouth and smile at them fake-like. And then you wonder why most everybody hates you.

Chomp, chomp, chomp. Nobody cares. Chomp, chomp, chomp. Stop being emo (saying this hatefully and just as emo yourself) Chomp, chomp, chomp. You shouldn't care about that you should care about this. Chomp, chomp, chomp. You're actually worried about that? It's weak to care about stuff like that. BITE CHOMP. HAHAH I ACTUALLY GOT UNDER YOUR SKIN AND PROUD OF MYSELF THAT I MADE YOU CRY. THAT MAKES ME THE STRONG ONE AND YOU THE WEAK ONE. I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU HAHAHAHAHA. *and do a narcissistic stuck up male dance after*

You don't want somebody to condescendingly help you with your polr, or point it out to you assholeishly like (like hey bubba why not turn that insight around on yourself?) ....you want them to simply ignore it, romantically.

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    LMAO.

That was funny, but to be serious- If it's your polr I think you can't help but view that particular function as cartoony and crude and simple as that.

Cartoonish, crude, and simple things hold this certain power over you that basically breaks everybody's balls.

To you, they only have one dimension, and that particular single dimension is always coming straight toward you, like a STRAIGHT male penis invading your female-like innocence, compassion, integrity and humanism.

Other people don't think they are abusing you, they don't care, they see you as simply not being able to overcome adversity.

You might be able to intellectually rationalize a function and understand its uses, but it will *emotionally* get under your skin in a raw, romantic human way. You can pretend that it isn't the case but to other people it's quite obvious what is pushing your buttons and lighting you up and tearing you down.

And because love is about loving somebody even when they're weak and down, and not kicking them when they're down or bullying them for their obvious weak polr functions....that's why duality works. Duals are blind to each other's polrs, they view it in a 'eh whatever' sense. Most people around the world are hateful to other human beings (except for a select few) because they chomped down their humanity in unforgiveable ways. To them, what you did was like casually eating an innocent human baby and then sociopathically burping afterwards with Homer Simpson-esque eyes.

Then you uncaringly wipe the debris of human baby out from your mouth and smile at them fake-like. And then you wonder why most everybody hates you.

Chomp, chomp, chomp. Nobody cares. Chomp, chomp, chomp. Stop being emo (saying this hatefully and just as emo yourself) Chomp, chomp, chomp. You shouldn't care about that you should care about this. Chomp, chomp, chomp. You're actually worried about that? It's weak to care about stuff like that. BITE CHOMP. HAHAH I ACTUALLY GOT UNDER YOUR SKIN AND PROUD OF MYSELF THAT I MADE YOU CRY. THAT MAKES ME THE STRONG ONE AND YOU THE WEAK ONE. I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU HAHAHAHAHA. *and do a narcissistic stuck up male dance after*

You don't want somebody to condescendingly help you with your polr, or point it out to you assholeishly like (like hey bubba why not turn that insight around on yourself?) ....you want them to simply ignore it, romantically.
    ???

Not sure how to respond to this... somehow my Ni description provoked a metaphorical tangent related to eating babies???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post

That's why i added an edit, but still if even with the edit it sounds condescending, well i was not making fun of you, more like tactlessly expressing an observation, to which you could just answer "lol Fi polr" if you feel there was absolutely no use in pointing it out.

Creepy-Snaps

EDIT: I was refering to you rarely perceiving the referential background and taking things very litterally which causes you to come off as out of context and/or captain obvious-ish sometimes.
    That's why i added an edit, but still if even with the edit it sounds condescending, well i was not making fun of you, more like tactlessly expressing an observation, to which you could just answer "lol Fi polr" if you feel there was absolutely no use in pointing it out.
    Ah gotcha. I was a bit over-exaggerating my sadness haha, and actually was happy to get a chance to use those emoticons in correct context.

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    I'm sure B&D is speaking about the vulnerable function in general, not riffing off of what you said.
    Thank you k0rpsey, yeah I think so too.

So you guys think my Ni description is bad... even though it's a biased version?

I just think Ni POLR fits, having a bad idea of how much time and effort is needed to do something, being worried about the future, wanting to stay busy to make up for this haunting feeling of not being prepared, etc. Probably fits LSEs too.

Probably why I tend to over-plan and be meticulously organized.

But yeah... anyway.... back to the topic! ILE bias... or none that exists.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can agree there may be bias in the sense of, if most of the creators of Socionics are Alpha NTs then they will understandably understand their own IMEs better and be able to develop that aspect of "the theory" better because of it (whereas their lack of personal or first-hand familiarity with other IMEs will show when they try to describe them). Without going through and thoroughly analyzing who wrote what, when and the overall time table of the development of Socionics I can't really say if I do or don't think there is a "bias" or which kinds of bias is present (in general there is bias in most things). I can say I do suspect an ILE bias in what Augusta wrote. But I would say it's rather specifically "ILE" or "Alpha NT" in a lot of ways because I've generally felt Si as described sucks in most descriptions/definitions because they're formulated by intuitives usually, and especially if described by Alpha NTs they're flat out gross (these soppy, pleasant people who are oh-so-in-tune with their bodies and suffocate others with harmony and pleasure wherever they go while being soft, servile and compliant). I can see this as possibly being many an ILE's wet dream. Anyway, I've been considering for a long while the possibility that I may be Alpha myself, but I do not think that any of this stuff is written in a way where "everyone will want to be Alpha". I don't see a vast majority of people coming to this forum wanting to all be ILEs for instance. I mean, seriously? I don't see Alpha types (like ILE) as amazing godsends of the best qualities in humanity or as anything like it. And even if I'm not Alpha I doubt I will feel that my quadra has been so mis-represented by Socionics founders/writers such that I'm a misunderstood Socionics cast-away.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ti - Wasting time making sure everything is correct before proceeding into action.
    Ni - The insight and perspective to see how things change over time, and what actually matters in life.
    Si - Being overly sensitive to the things around you, wanting to relax in comfortable environments all the time and being lazy.
    Se - Having the drive and willpower to achieve the external objective, overcoming hardships. Observing what's tangible and real.
    Fi - A deep understanding of the real distance between people, and how strong relationships actually are.
    Fe - All the artificial stuff, the masks people put on, to hide how they truly feel on the inside.

yep, that seems about right to me!

Anyways, if there's any Alpha bias, I doubt it's intentional - Socionics is heavily Alpha NT, so it would make sense for descriptions of types outside of that to be a bit more bare (probably increasingly so the further things are removed from Alpha NT - it's tricky to try to see the world through someone else's perspective when it's that different) and less favorable in connotations (not a biggie to me - the info is there and it works for me)...

I think being SEE rules Obstinate, Democratic, Strategic, Emotivist, Farsighted, Serious, Decisive (and so much more) - all without any stinking jamming up the works!

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    I think being SEE rules
    We know you want to be SEE.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We know you want to be SEE.
    What is he in actuality?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxi View Post
    What is he in actuality?
    Anything he wants. Fi types have this freedom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help but feel people are jumping on this supposed 'bias' because someone else perceived a bias... like... how easily could you have written a list, if this thread was about ISFj bias?

It's all perspective.

Like seriously, I'm not aware of this 'Alpha bias' or 'ILE bias' that the OP mentions. ILE descriptions outline their faults... huge unawareness of sensing, losing small objects, being intrusive on others' conversations, having a poor psychological distance with people, happy one day and mean the next, etc. etc.
    Your list here is a pretty good one for balance. But the point is that not that many Socionics writings take that point of view. As Labcoat pointed out, the problem of alpha-centrism has been known and talked about for years. The people on this forum didn't make it up. I realize that one can easily come up with a list of IM elements or types "slanted" towards any particular type or quadra. But my point was simply that the early definitions in Socionics tended to make the Alpha IM elements more understandable and human. And I think that perspective did influence future generations of Socionists as well.

As to ILE descriptions, my biggest problem with them isn't so much that they describe ILE as the perfect type, but rather that they describe ILEs in terms of the "eccentric genius" archetype, which I believe to be a bit of a distorted view. I think there are actually a lot of ILEs who are a bit more "normal" and less genius-level than the descriptions indicate, and there are also a lot of people who are creative and intelligent (and also eccentric) but who aren't ILE or even Alpha.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Labcoat pointed out, the problem of alpha-centrism has been known and talked about for years.
    i was talking about the ENTp type specifically. i think your views on alpha-centrism are outdated and inapplicable to this forum in it's current state. alphas these days get a lot of flak for supposedly being the quadra that never produces anything useful aside from entertainment that only appeals to themselves. the reality is more along the lines of the latter being applicable to all quadras and the former being simply unrelated to type.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...

It's all perspective.

You're right, these biases could be skewed either way. I think the real consideration, the reason this issue of bias is being addressed, is because the people bringing up or corroboration the initial concern feel that there is a generally wider instance . That, or some may simply be interested in petty attempts to sway the collective bias in their favor by way of street corner preaching.

Personally I don't feel that either set of biases holds peculiar sway over mass perception. The issue is rather juvenile; people have their biases, but most, I hope, are capable.of some level of objectivity surrounding their own, which is confirmed generally by my observations.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that there is definitely some bias in some of the descriptions simply based on the fact that the creators of the system were a part of it, but honestly, I read your list of Reinins and didn't think many of them were especially inherently positive, even in the ways you described them. Some of them actually seemed sort of negative (as per my own biases).
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of Reinins dichotomy, it's too much of a hit and miss means of typing that focuses too much on perception.
    For example, reading the Merry vs Serious definitions I find it difficult to to see Ti dominants are the former and Fi creatives as the latter
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as Merry v Serious goes, LII's are often described as outwardly serious and I would agree but if I were to choose what I feel inside it would be Merry for sure. In person I look serious but everything I say is in jest.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast