Thread: Any alpha vegetarians?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any alpha vegetarians?

I have met a lot of delta veggies and many IEI veggies for Fe and Fi related issues.

Any alpha veggies here?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowsofyoungwerther View Post
    I have met a lot of delta veggies and many IEI veggies for Fe and Fi related issues.

Any alpha veggies here?
    assuming I'm alpha, count me out.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In conversion (i was thinking about it since some time, but it's the meeting of an IEI vegan who accelerated the process, vegans are mostly INFx i would say), i stopped eating animals foods for myself except eggs but not yet socially (to not break the harmony, and because i really love the taste, so having that under my nose is very tempting, but at some point if i keep my conversion i am going to stop totally)

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also in conversion! I'm trying to stop eating all animal products but I haven't given up milk (in ice cream, cakes, etc.) yet like shining with eggs. Although there's an argument that eggs are the worst to eat, in terms of lives per serve, although it's cool if it's just part of the transition.

There are a lot of vegetarian/vegans in the Effective Altruism movement which is particularly motivating.

The IEI vegan I met was vegan because they felt so strongly for it and cared heaps about animals. The EII vegetarian I knew before that had been raised vegetarian and so wasn't sure how to not be vegetarian. I had an IEE friend who was trying to go vegetarian but would eat meat in heaps of situations because of how it felt too socially annoying for her to not do it. I think all of these are good examples of those type's behaviours!

I am (trying) to go vegetarian because of pretty reasons - it is a very easy, logical way to avoid suffering and if everyone did it then the world would be better, so I'm just being consistent with behaviour in that ideal world.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is so interesting why each type might be a vegetarian or vegan. I asked the LSI I am with yesterday and he basically stated Si reasons.
    I am for Fi and Fe related reasons. Many IEI seem to be for Ni related reasons.
    What are the Si, Fi/Fe and Ni reasons?
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you an ESE? I hope so! That means I am not the only one on here.
    Idk... do I seem ESE?

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is certainly possible. I mean who else loves emojis and "....." as much as the ESE?
    well, there's definitely a camp of people here who support an ESE typing for me.
    lately I've been feeling very introverted tho, so I've been leaning SEI lately. There's also a camp of people who support that typing for me.
    ILE has also been mentioned in the past. I guess it's not inconceivable.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine an ESE who is a 9 would be more introverted and appear more calm.
    I think the ESE can go through introverted phases (I certainly do). I was very extroverted until I turned 27 or so.

Your writing style makes so much sense to me...its very ESE like!
    thanks for the feedback! There sure haven't been a lot of ESEs around here to compare myself to. SEIs either.

Also, I've been reading lately about Venus retrograde which is in my birth chart, and maybe my introversion is actually a manifestation of that. Venus retrograde in the natal chart is supposed to make people not so fond of small talk, among a bunch of other things.

I'm older than 27 so... that makes sense too...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESEs I know IRL are so passionate, energetic, kind, clever....I think they are really misunderstood online.
    It is so interesting you say not fond of small talk- I do find some ESEs will get right to the point, and heart of an issue, they tend to go deep and seek out the "juice". Is that what you were referring to? Are you an SP? They seem more introverted too. I'm SO-last.
    that does describe me pretty well... I like to get to the heart of an issue, for sure.

re whether I'm an SP -- are you talking about HSP (highly sensitive persons) or instinctual stacking? I would say I am somewhere on the HSP spectrum. I'm not totally sure about instinctual stackings -- I've resonated some with so/sx but I'm not really sure. I think I'm more convergent than divergent.

but in any case, I don't want to derail your thread with my typing anymore than I already have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a vegetarian (was a vegan for some time, now I'm an ovo-) and I'm almost certainly an alpha (either a LII-Ne or a socially anxious ILE). I mean, Ne seems to manifest so strongly in me I'm pretty much positive about it being my Ego function. From here you could still argue I'm a delta, but I don't really see myself as a Fi-type. Also, this: "Alpha types avoid taking direct life advice, preferring to experience and learn for themselves" (http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/15-Socionics-Four-Quadra) describes me just perfectly And I think even my writing style may indicate strong Ti (unless the way I perceive cognitive functions is completely wrong - I'm quite new to socionics after all)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was vegetarian for almost a year (~2010). I found it was very difficult to deal with cravings -- I ended up eating one dish at a restaurant quite a bit, and only later found out the sauce contained fish. If you're going to do something like that, probably cutting back on meat would be healthier than eliminating it completely. I also tried being vegan briefly but that was even worse (you really need to cook your own meals if you're vegan).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    you really need to cook your own meals if you're vegan
    Well, to me it's actually an argument FOR going vegan, even if for a limited period of time: you have an additional stimulus to develop this useful ability

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yes I have one SEI friend who has been for a long time. Actually she eats fish
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I do know some famous alpha vegetarians but none personally. I see vegetarians of all sorts since it's pretty easy and there's a lot of religious reasons to do it. I mostly see beta or delta vegans, it's a bit too extreme and socially constraining to do.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a partial vegetarian. This is my situation: 1) I love meat, 2) I don't like animal suffering, and 3) I hate cooking; based on these three paramaters, the best outcome I have found involves eating about half-vegetarian, half non-vegetarian; that way (since I value all options equally), I don't have to cook, I get to enjoy meat, and I still stop animal suffering...

Now, some might say that if I value all the options equally, then "it doesn't matter what I choose." BUT, there is a mistake here; I remember reading this somewhere:

"If given the option, what would you choose: a certain (i.e., 100% chance at) $30 or an 80% chance at $40?"

From what I read, the 'rational person' would choose the $40, because the expected payoff for the $40 is: .80 * $40 = $32, while the $30 payoff is exactly $30 - and therefore wrong because it is less than the $32. BUT, if you study economics formally, risk is also important. Therefore, the variability of the $30 is $0 - you get a certain $30 every time. OTOH, the variability of the $40 is big - there is a swing of $40 in the amount you could receive! Therefore, in terms of the opportunity cost, it is probably more rational to choose the $30. (You would have to be a big risk taker to take the $40!)

The same principles apply to my diet: although I said that the outcomes are equal, I actually value cooking somewhat less than the other two options, and, further, it is probably better in my situation to have some variability in what I choose: if I eat all meat, then I don't save one animal; if I eat entirely vegetarian, then I have a bland diet, and a hard path to follow. If I choose both, I get some variability between the two options, and so the decision probably works out better...

(In any event, business logic, I saw you coming, so I thought I would have an answer for you in monetary terms... )
    Last edited by jason_m; 02-01-2017 at 03:13 AM.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    I am a partial vegetarian. This is my situation: 1) I love meat, 2) I don't like animal suffering, and 3) I hate cooking; based on these three paramaters, the best outcome I have found involves eating about half-vegetarian, half non-vegetarian; that way (since I value all options equally), I don't have to cook, I get to enjoy meat, and I still stop animal suffering...
    How does your semi-tarianism (new term coined!) affect your decisions when eating meat? Or do you basically eat vegetarian because it is convenient (cooking for yourself, there is a vegetarian option, etc.) and eat meat when it is also convenient (e.g. eating out, eating when someone else has cooked)?

Also, turns out a pre-coined term is "flexitarian" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-vegetarianism.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    How does your semi-tarianism (new term coined!) affect your decisions when eating meat? Or do you basically eat vegetarian because it is convenient (cooking for yourself, there is a vegetarian option, etc.) and eat meat when it is also convenient (e.g. eating out, eating when someone else has cooked)?
    1) When someone else cooks for me, and it's meat, then I will eat it (convenience).
    2) Most of the meals I seek out on my own are vegetarian (charity).
    3) I will schedule specific meals on my own that are non-vegetarian that I find really satisfying, and eat those (satisfaction).

- All of this adds up to about 1/3 to 1/2 meat - most of which is either satisfying or convenient, and the rest which saves the animals.

Also, turns out a pre-coined term is "flexitarian" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-vegetarianism.
    I've heard of it. That is essentially what I'm doing...