Thread: Functions and missing people

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Functions and missing people

How each element miss people or things? Is there any element that is more related to it?
    Do you miss people or certain things/good stuff/ moments etc or you tend to forget about it?
    Do you remember more the good or bad moments of ppl/relations/stuff?

Personal experiences and opinions welcome as always.

TIM
    ILI - C
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi processes "psychological distance", so it could set the parameters for missing someone.
    Si processes levels of physical comfort, so if the absence of someone or something detracts from the comfort, it could be missed.
    Fe processes emotional negativity or positivity, so if someone or something that usually encourages warm feelings is gone, it could be missed.
    Te processes levels of usefulness, so if a useful item or person goes away, it could be missed.
    Se processes levels of power or force, so if this is lacking... etc.

Every function could play a part in how something or someone is missed, but the first ones that come to mind are Fi and Si because together they tend to be pretty focused, particular, and related to personal feelings, comfort, and relationships.

I think people from a lot of different quadras have missed me at various points; I think there's usually an element of introversion and feeling to it.

I dated an SLE who missed me a lot. She really like attention an affection.

Ironically, an IEI I dated didn't express this nearly as much. She had a relatively stoic attitude that still kind of puzzles me because in other ways she was emotional.

My LIE mom has a propensity to miss me. I think she really enjoys being surrounded by useful people. My LSE dad, too, even though he won't admit it.

I also dated an ILE, and I think she had very good emotional control and wasn't very sentimental. Passionate connection, but she seemed least likely to miss people.
    Last edited by Desert Financial; 10-19-2018 at 04:38 AM.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Moderator View Post
    Every function could play a part in how something or someone is missed, but the first ones that come to mind are Fi and Si because together they tend to be pretty focused, particular, and related to personal feelings, comfort, and relationships.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Ime Fi misses relations and Si misses good stuff/moments due the ability to recreate sensations. I agree about Te and Fe.
    Thank you.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missing something or someone means remembering a past experience of the person or thing, and being attracted to it on a sentimental or emotional level. So, it's Ni and Fi.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Emotional attachments seem linked to our primal instincts; cognition can only try to suppress feelings of loss. Eps tend to have better tools to move-on while Ijs frequently dwell on things too much but I doubt that these are any indications of how much they would miss someone.
    a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Missing something or someone means remembering a past experience of the person or thing, and being attracted to it on a sentimental or emotional level. So, it's Ni and Fi.
    Idk. I knew beta NFs who had a lot of partners and never missed them.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aki View Post
    Fair enough -- I didn't say this before but it's more related to Fi than Ni.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm so detached. Like I said, it is like being fly on the wall/allocentric. It actually carries to many things.

Today I caught myself thinking about something when I phrased a question to me: How it would look like from my perspective?

So reading some posts before, yes, SLE's can be very sentimental, IEI's can move on (after it is done) but... EIE's can make their whole life as messy misery (Shakespeare, duh).
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do not miss people or things.
    at best, or worst, i might think that i now have a use for something i do not have anymore, then just go get what i need.
    "far from sight, far from mind."

it took me a long time to understand that "i miss you" is not some random shit people say but an actual sentiment.

i cannot see anyway to link Ni to missing stuff or people, it seems like the opposite, trusting that the future holds what you need regardless of what you lost, not wasting time missing shit...

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm creepy calm wrt people dying and I think it's because i'm resigned to having no control over it. But breakups, people being busy or ignoring me, even my kid sitting in the other room playing video games with no interest in chatting with his mom lol. I miss people all the time, its ridiculous.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I miss people all the time. I'm heavily nostalgic of the good moments of the past.

I don't know how this correlates to type, or even if it does at all. If it does I find it interesting how I relate to what @ashlesha said, but not to what @Vespertine said.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    I miss people all the time. I'm heavily nostalgic of the good moments of the past.

I don't know how this correlates to type, or even if it does at all. If it does I find it interesting how I relate to what @ashlesha said, but not to what @Vespertine said.
    i can see how factualy, one could think life was better before, miss people because of what they concretely brought. like Te missing people, things because comparing past to now and stuff... this idea is unclear...

i have a difficult time believing any perception function could miss people. they perceive, they do not judge, it seems to me that to miss someone, one has to perceive their absence and judge it as not ideal... then again feelings are not my forte...
    maybe having PoLR/HA in Fs could play, from the very little data in this page only.
    maybe it is not function related also.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vespertine View Post
    i can see how factualy, one could think life was better before, miss people because of what they concretely brought. like Te missing people, things because comparing past to now and stuff... this idea is unclear...

i have a difficult time believing any perception function could miss people. they perceive, they do not judge, it seems to me that to miss someone, one has to perceive their absence and judge it as not ideal... then again feelings are not my forte...
    maybe having PoLR/HA in Fs could play, from the very little data in this page only.
    maybe it is not function related also.

Hm, well I don't miss people because of what they brought concretely, but because of the bond I had with them. Yes, also the good times spent together, so maybe that counts as bringing something concrete but idk.

Yeah, I agree it's hard to tell if there's any relation to type here.

I also agree that perceiving functions are less likely to miss things, attachment is more likely related to Fe or Fi. That is, if it's type related at all.

But maybe it's related to rationality? I noticed SEEs for example don't seem to "miss" people, if you no longer interact with them, they kinda "forget" about you, not literally forget, but they just don't seem to attach themselves to people they aeren't interacting with. Your attitude reminds me of that, being their dual maybe you have the same attitude?

I guess it's back to being a J type for me...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    Hm, well I don't miss people because of what they brought concretely, but because of the bond I had with them. Yes, also the good times spent together, so maybe that counts as bringing something concrete but idk.

Yeah, I agree it's hard to tell if there's any relation to type here.

I also agree that perceiving functions are less likely to miss things, attachment is more likely related to Fe or Fi. That is, if it's type related at all.

But maybe it's related to rationality? I noticed SEEs for example don't seem to "miss" people, if you no longer interact with them, they kinda "forget" about you, not literally forget, but they just don't seem to attach themselves to people they aeren't interacting with. Your attitude reminds me of that, being their dual maybe you have the same attitude?

I guess it's back to being a J type for me...
    haha.
    maybe subtype plays... : P
    maybe only heartless people do not miss others...

with a shit ton of data we could figure it out... and socionics sort of lacks that on many subject, darn!

my sister was likely SEE and she was very much like that, far from sight, far from mind. i was actually surprised when i learned that she had kept pictures of me.

ILI-SEE does not seem like a very fusional duo... thank god!

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do not miss people or things.
    at best, or worst, i might think that i now have a use for something i do not have anymore, then just go get what i need.
    "far from sight, far from mind."

it took me a long time to understand that "i miss you" is not some random shit people say but an actual sentiment.

i cannot see anyway to link Ni to missing stuff or people, it seems like the opposite, trusting that the future holds what you need regardless of what you lost, not wasting time missing shit...
    Ni can be about "the good ol' days" - thinking that something valuable from the past has been lost or forgotten.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Ni can be about "the good ol' days" - thinking that something valuable from the past has been lost or forgotten.
    do you mean like, Ni remembers and Fi misses?

TIM
    ~°~
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was young, I thought it was bad enough almost always being in love and waiting for the other one. But the older I get, this has only been compounded by missing old friends and family so much it sometimes interferes with other things in life. Losing people who have passed on to the next life has been especially hard. Number 2 are friends who settle down and moved away. It is hard to replace those connections because as one ages there are not all the social routines in place to strike up new relations quite like school days when bound by common routines and similarities in age and lifestyle...
    ~* astralsilky

Each essence is a separate glass,
    Through which Sun of Being’s Light is passed,
    Each tinted fragment sparkles with the Sun,
    A thousand colors, but the Light is One.

Jami, 15th c. Persian Poet

Post types & fully individuated before 2012 ...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you mean like, Ni remembers and Fi misses?
    Sort of, yes. Provided Fi is missing something of personal significance.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aki View Post
    Oooh evil betas shoo

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is that thing about EJ and EP types being attached to things and memories in a kind of sentimental way, like rereading book or rewatching a film many times I can't remember where I read it, one of the articles on here, but seemed like it held ground.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't think of how it would be related to socionics function, but my mother passed away 4 years ago and I'm absolutely not recovered. I miss her terribly even if we didn't have the best of the relationships that could have been.

I also miss people I've spent significant parts of my life with, in some cases I almost feel like i'm missing a limb esp if they're family.

I don't idealize what our relationships have been though. I see the good and the bad at the same time.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaine View Post
    There is that thing about EJ and EP types being attached to things and memories in a kind of sentimental way, like rereading book or rewatching a film many times I can't remember where I read it, one of the articles on here, but seemed like it held ground.
    Sounds like the constructivist Reinin trait.