Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Higgs has been discovered.

So what does this mean exactly? Is this another case of discovery that has no application on its own merits, or is it on par with Einstein's discovery of the photoelectric effect?

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will be capable of manufacturing taquitos at half the current cost of resources.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok after thinking about it a little, it seems to me that the road ahead involves harnessing the Higgs. As I understand it, the Standard Model doesn't allow for anti-gravity. However, I get the impression that if you cluster these particles together, you can create super massive objects (like black dwarfs, or, more ominously, black holes). Technology that manipulates these particles would be more dangerous than the atom bomb. On the other hand, it seems like you could use these things to locally reverse entropy, maybe even make your own star systems. Maybe you could actually effect anti-gravity by using nanoscale Higgs gatherers to create Higgs free regions of space, that would act as anti-attractive vacuums, although this would have the effect of destroying the matter in question. Imagine a nanomachine artificial intelligence that could manage Higgs bosons: it'd be like a real deity, with absolutely mastery of the universe. In fact, it reminds me of the Void in Final Fantasy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you somehow remove the Higgs bosons in an area of space, doesn't the material structure of that space break down? (I'm aiming this question at HLD)
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 07-04-2012 at 10:36 PM.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    We will be capable of manufacturing taquitos at half the current cost of resources.
    sweet.
    good bye

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soon shall be the discovery of the higgs boson as the ultimate fuel for powering SUVs
    unfortunately by the year 2035 our supply of higgs bosons will become so scarce that we must force african children into working in cavernous higgs boson mines, harvesting what's left of the matter we haven't destroyed. eventually we'll realize that the african children themselves are chock full of mass and we'll just use them instead

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tcaud thread that doesn't suck. Carry on.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Too early to tell if it's the Higgs boson, so much of the mainstream media reports are jumping the gun. Has ATLAS discovered a new particle, most likely a boson, in the preliminary data mentioned in CERN's press release? Yes. Does it resemble the properties predicted of the theoretical Higgs boson? Maybe. If it is the Higgs, then that's one less problem for the Standard Model. Otherwise, there's still stuff like neutrino oscillations and the mysterious nature of dark matter (and it's relationship with dark energy) to investigate.