Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Ayn Rand's type (old discussion)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Exceptionalism to not help people. I'm on board, pull up the ladders. Poor people are so because of their lack of will; bad luck because you've done something to deserve it; exceptionalism/objectivism. Very narrow minded view without Ne.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Exceptionalism to not help people. I'm on board, pull up the ladders. Poor people are so because of their lack of will; bad luck because you've done something to deserve it; exceptionalism/objectivism.

“Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice.” – Adolf ******
    That quote by ****** is why I think he is Fi polr.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post

“Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice.” – Adolf ******
    That quote by ****** is why I think he is Fi polr.
    Or perhaps he thought he was just quoting Nietzsche or something.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went with NT... Maybe INTx.

Just a guess, but I would think that SLEs do interviews mainly because they've got something concrete they want to push...she didn't promote her books or projects once.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that LSE has never been suggested as a type for Ayn Rand.

It boils down to the misunderstanding of what it means to be:
    1) Se valuing
    2) Fi DS/Ti PoLR

Hence the popular typing of her as SLE. All that has been attributed to Se valuing (ruthless business ideas, etc) are related to being an Enneagram 8. Her objectivism is a rational and very much a Te ego philosophy IMO, and her novels are a personal favourite of mine.

Some Beta responses:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullets&Doves
    Because her philosophy is more of a vague, idealistic dream than a practical set of instructions, though she seemed to imply that she intended for them to be used more realistically.
    So write what you know. Ayn Rand was just an arrogant bitch who really didn't know anything, and continued to live out her ego (or false-self) in life. That people kiss her ass so much makes me continue to feel sorry for humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullets&Doves
    If this shit is based more on how information is presented than the actual information itself, I just flat-out don't like anything about her personality and mannerisms. She just seems like, wrongfully afraid of people and uptight about them and it really hurt what she was trying to accomplish more than she realized.

If you think I'm being like one of those stupid first grade teachers that thinks people need to 'smile' more and be retarded, that's not it. She just did not seem like a happy, well-adjusted person at all. I don't know. The Rand just bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by unefille
    She certainly was effective in communicating her ideas and it is very difficult to judge the specific affect she was aiming for. A lot of people certainly seem to find something in her work. Nevertheless, a certain resonance is missing from her work - a resonance which is not based on effectiveness, but recognition of process of writing. It's possible that I am allowing my distaste for her contents to throw me, but I still don't believe it to be EIE writing, which is separate from whether I judge it to be good or bad writing.
    To make a more thorough assessment of her writing I would have to re-read her books, but I felt that they were weighted down with excessive 'information': detail, dialogue, didactic speeches. I disagreed with her sense of prioritisation entirely. I felt she both made her points too 'bald' as it were, and yet belaboured both the points and the path to making them beyond belief.

ETA: I could see valuing/Te-ego, as it would explain how I felt about the writing. Alternatively, she could have just been a really really bad writer - but my point remains that a really BAD EIE writer would be bad in other ways.
    Her writing style is NOT that of an EIE. It's prosaic, dull and devoid of any emotion. Reading it was like eating air-popped popcorn. No flavour, little nutrition, just a lot of pointless chewing with little payoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli
    I am LSI and I hate her philosophy, it is too vague, inconsistent, and unimaginative...objectivism is for Gammas/Deltas. Also, her books are terribly written, pitiful attempts to integrate sci-fi with social commentary, and they always lack Beta values.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli
    I agree. The Fountainhead seemed to me like it was written by an advanced text-to-speech program with the cognitive abilities of a two-year-old. That is basically -valuing at its worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    The soft-hearted, weak-minded, and morally "responsible" characters she rebels against in "Atlas Shrugged" are Fi-types, not passion-driven Fe-types! If anything she is for passion, as long as it is passion for one's own goals rather than "the good of society." Her positive characters have no Fi in their relationships; it's just a passionate meeting of the minds with no moral strings attached whatsoever.
    Her revolt against these 'soft-hearted, weak-minded, "morally-responsible" characters' were in actuality a revolt against hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Her philosophy suffers from singling out this point of view and not seeing the large-scale consequences. She should have lived more, had more varied experiences, seen that every type of value-scale can be fit for a particular environment and a particular social context, instead of close-mindendly BSing about something vague.
    A common complaint regarding the Ni PoLR.

Quote Originally Posted by labocat
    Ayn Rand hates Betas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5dgyS5k7ec

you won't find a more cogent description of a socionical phenomenon in spontaneous speech than this.

oops, another major the16types fuck-up.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really for her or against her. But regarding type, if it says anything, I think she was being creative/personal with an ethical system, rather than a logical system, which means she didn't really utilize the finer qualities of categorization and she's more of an objectivist (utilizes objectivist ethics, which is more subjective in nature than subjectivist ethics). I tend to be pretty laissez faire about what is "good" ethics and take a global view.

Secondarily, she comes across more accepting/decisive in these views than she does producing/creative, if I'm right (J type being someone more conceptually picky than perceptively.) So overall this would point to her type being LxI, or if I'm wrong on the latter note then at least some Ti.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I'm not really for her or against her. But regarding type, if it says anything, I think she was being creative/personal with an ethical system, rather than a logical system, which means she doesn't really utilize the finer qualities of categorization and she's more of an objectivist (utilizes objectivist ethics, which is more subjective in nature than subjectivist ethics). I tend to be pretty laissez faire about what is "good" ethics and take a global view.

Secondarily, she comes across more accepting/decisive in these views than she does creative/producing, if I'm right (J type being someone more conceptually picky than perceptively.) So overall this would point to her type being LxI, or if I'm wrong on the latter note then at least some Ti.
    I'm not sure if I'm following your line of thought. On the first, a non-utilization of what you call the "finer qualities of categorization" conventionally points to Te>Ti. On the second, you argue for Ti>Te due her conceptual pickiness>perceptiveness. It is ambiguous whether: 1) she really is more accepting>producing (and what you mean by these terms), and 2) what you mean by being more conceptually picky than perceptive, as well as how that has any relation to Ti.

In The Fountainhead, we have Keating with the collectivist mindset against hero, Roark the individualist. Taken from plot summary:
    On Keating: He makes his buildings for no other purpose than to please his clients and gain prestige, which he does completely, because not one of his clients is interested in quality. They are just interested in impressing their friends or the public.

Roark, on the other hand, cannot get work because he refuses to compromise and put useless features on his buildings. His goal is to stick with his own design and strives to make structures more efficient
    In Atlas Shrugged:
    Atlas, the hero of Greek mythology who carried the weight of the heavens on his shoulders, symbolizes the exploited industrialists, particularly Rearden, whose hard work and great strength support the parasites who live off their productive capabilities. When Francisco tells Rearden that he would advise Atlas to shrug and let go of his burden, he is referring to the strike and calling upon Rearden to lay down his burden and stop believing it is his duty to bear so much weight for the undeserving. Rearden’s only reward for his efforts is the persecution of a corrupt government and the exhaustion of carrying others. Francisco knows it is unjust for Rearden, or anyone, to be cast in this role. By recruiting him for the strike, he tries to show Rearden a way out.
    What stands out in Atlas Shrugged, is her great dislike for the parasites of humanity: the lazy who leech off the ones who work hard and who do their duty in dedication and perseverance. It is a world where the few sustain the many, where the many reap the rewards out of the efforts of the few. What happens when the few refuse to work, and go on a worldwide strike? The novel depicted the end result: chaos and darkness.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

This is the oath the thinkers recite when they join the strike and come to live in the valley; The striker’s code presents Rand’s belief in egoism, or the doctrine of rational self-interest. Rand believes that individuals have an inalienable right to pursue their own happiness based on their own values and that they must be free to pursue their own self-interest as they choose. Under this code, people have no obligations to each other beyond the obligation to respect the freedom and rights of other self-interested people.
    Fi>Ti. Her ideal (Ne) world at the end of Atlas Shrugged, is one where each man does what he enjoys and does best to his perfection, and getting what he deserves out of it.

What does she mean by living for the sake of another man? It is the sacrifice of our own needs for the sake of others. Sounds like EII hate, but which I perceive as EII protection.
    I have come here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right to one minute of my life.... It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there's someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master.
    In The Fountainhead, she is much against altruism, which on the surface is Fi PoLRish. Except that this altruism is false altruism born out of competitive hypocrisy. It is a revolt against false Fi.

Productivity:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayn Rand
    My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.
    Against hypocrisy:
    One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name.
    On perfection:
    I can accept anything, except what seems to be the easiest for most people: the half-way, the almost, the just-about, the in-between.
    Si+Fi:
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.
    Love: Te/Fi? Not Fe.
    Love is an expression and assertion of self-esteem, a response to one's own values in the person of another. One gains a profoundly personal, selfish joy from the mere existence of the person one loves. It is one's own personal, selfish happiness that one seeks, earns, and derives from love.”
    On reason and profit:
    When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.
    Her philosophy, in a nutshell:
    Man—every man—is an end in himself, not a means to the ends of others; he must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself; he must work for his rational self-interest, with the achievement of his own happiness as the highest moral purpose of his life.
    Chunk on work and productivity:
    Productiveness is your acceptance of morality, your recognition of the fact that you choose to live—that productive work is the process by which man's consciousness controls his existence, a constant process of acquiring knowledge and shaping matter to fit one's purpose, of translating an idea into physical form, of remaking the earth in the image of one's values—that all work is creative work if done by a thinking mind, and no work is creative if done by a blank who repeats in uncritical stupor a routine he has learned from others—that your work is yours to choose, and the choice is as wide as your mind, that nothing more is possible to you and nothing less is human— that to cheat your way into a job bigger than your mind can handle is to become a fear corroded ape on borrowed motions and borrowed time, and to settle down into a job that requires less than your mind's full capacity is to cut your motor and sentence yourself to another kind of motion: decay—that [B]your work is the process of achieving your values, and to lose your ambition for values is to lose your ambition to live—that your body is a machine, but your mind is its driver, and you must drive as far as your mind will take you, with achievement as the goal of your road—that the man who has no purpose is a machine that coasts downhill at the mercy of any boulder to crash in the first chance ditch, that the man who stifles his mind is a stalled machine slowly going to rust, that the man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap, and the man who makes another man his goal is a hitchhiker no driver should ever pick up— that your work is the purpose of your life, and you must speed past any killer who assumes the right to stop you, that any value you might find outside your work, any other loyalty or love, can be only travelers you choose to share your journey and must be travelers going on their own power in the same direction.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InkStrider View Post
    On perfection:
    I can accept anything, except what seems to be the easiest for most people: the half-way, the almost, the just-about, the in-between.
    Depending on how you take it, it is a good example of either Ti, Ti or Se Creative, or Ti/Fe valuing. I can't associate it with Fi per se by no means. The all-or-nothing attitude I associate with Ti/Fe valuing.
    Si+Fi:
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.
    Si+Fi would be Delta, Aristocratic quadra, it is IMO far-fetched to the individualistic idea in the quote.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I'm following your line of thought. On the first, a non-utilization of what you call the "finer qualities of categorization" conventionally points to Te>Ti. On the second, you argue for Ti>Te due her conceptual pickiness>perceptiveness. It is ambiguous whether: 1) she really is more accepting>producing (and what you mean by these terms), and 2) what you mean by being more conceptually picky than perceptive, as well as how that has any relation to Ti.
    No accepting/producing of J/P is a J/P difference, not Ti/Te. When you accept Ti in your ego, it means you are LxI. If you produce it, you are xLE. Also the objectivist ethics can be argued either way, you can say its Fi or Fe, but to recognize subjectivism you must become more objective, so the objectivist ethics ayn rand holds are most likely due to her intensified subjective factor, even if they are the after-result of becoming more objective. I'm mainly just pointing out my differences with her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    Depending on how you take it, it is a good example of either Ti, Ti or Se Creative, or Ti/Fe valuing. I can't associate it with Fi per se by no means. The all-or-nothing attitude I associate with Ti/Fe valuing.
    Perfection jibes with the Ne hidden agenda of the LSE.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable
    Si+Fi would be Delta, Aristocratic quadra, it is IMO far-fetched to the individualistic idea in the quote.
    Individualism and socionics aristocracy aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    No accepting/producing of J/P is a J/P difference, not Ti/Te. When you accept Ti in your ego, it means you are LxI. If you produce it, you are xLE.
    I know.

Quote Originally Posted by poli
    Also the objectivist ethics can be argued either way, you can say its Fi or Fe,
    Perhaps. But you need to analyze deeper than that, into the details of the philosophy in reference to her elaborations as per her writings in order to gauge her actual meaning, which would potentially reveal her socionics type.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At least she didn't call it realism. Keep her in your quadra, Pinky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    At least she didn't call it realism. Keep her in your quadra, Pinky.
    Have you ever added anything concrete to any discussion?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have you ever added anything concrete to any discussion?
    Well, calling oneself a Jewish "princess" and being a tyrant in real life, claiming she is all for a real merit system, at the same time hating it, which can be seen in her excursion to U.S, again which was completely the opposite of a merit system, and yet last but not least having a thing for Aryan types - pure fucking stereotypical opposite, walking contradiction on two legs.

How's that for concrete, Pinky?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, calling oneself a Jewish "princess" and being a tyrant in real life, claiming she is all for a real merit system, at the same time hating it, which can be seen in her excursion to U.S, again which was completely the opposite of a merit system, and yet last but not least having a thing for Aryan types - pure fucking stereotypical opposite, walking contradiction on two legs.

How's that for concrete, Pinky?
    Provide your sources and reasoning as proof to back up each of your claims:

1) That she called herself a "Jewish princess"
    2) That she's a tyrant in real life
    3) That she's all for a real merit system and at the same time hating it
    4) That she has a thing for "Aryan" type and what you mean by that

and

5) Explain how each of the above ties in to your opinion of her type.

Do it.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Provide your sources and reasoning as proof to back up each of your claims:

1) That she called herself a "Jewish princess"
    2) That she's a tyrant in real life
    3) That she's all for a real merit system and at the same time hating it
    4) That she has a thing for "Aryan" type and what you mean by that
    Haha. You're hilarious. Know that this special lady wasn't living in U.S. for her entire life, nor wasn't she born there. These 4 points were actually "confirmed, settled and decided" by people who knew her, people who worked with her in some other very different land, than U.S.

You have to know what merit system is to begin with, I'm not going to lecture you, I'm not getting paid for this, although you can try and challenge me.

and

5) Explain how each of the above ties in to your opinion of her type.

Do it.
    I'll give you a hint seeing you're so well-versed in objectivism and you want to type her LSE - metaphysics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha. You're hilarious. Know that this special lady wasn't living in U.S. for her entire life, nor wasn't she born there. These 4 points were actually "confirmed, settled and decided" by people who knew her, people who worked with her in some other very different land, than U.S.

You have to know what merit system is to begin with, I'm not going to lecture you, I'm not getting paid for this, although you can try and challenge me.

I'll give you a hint seeing you're so well-versed in objectivism and you want to type her LSE - metaphysics.
    Just as I have suspected, you refuse to engage in proper debate. But I won't push it. If you have any convincing arguments, I would be more than happy to hear it.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@InkStrider: you're so off that we have no common ground to argument with about. Also, I don't buy into your self-typing, you're IMO Intuitive Irrational (probably ILE). The way you come across and the fact that your knowledge is so fucked up appear to me to coincide. Enjoy your inner world of "Socionics".

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just as I have suspected, you refuse to engage in proper debate. But I won't push it. If you have any convincing arguments, I would be more than happy to hear it.
    You didn't say shit, just quoted Ayn Rand. Of course you won't push it, you don't even know what you're talking about. I have had the "pleasure" struggling with metaphysics during philosophy of politics and as much I hate it, I know what I'm talking about contrary to you.

Objectivism asserts that use of force to cause others to submit to the will of the stronger or cleverer individual is "wrong" for the individual, you dumb cunt, plus objectivism is completely atheistic in its nature.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@InkStrider: you're so off that we have no common ground to argument with about. Also, I don't buy into your self-typing, you're IMO Intuitive Irrational (probably ILE). The way you come across and the fact that your knowledge is so fucked up appear to me to coincide. Enjoy your inner world of "Socionics".
    It's the Te vs Ti difference. I can't argue your style, and you can't argue mine. I do not accept your system/approach to begin with. Which is the reason for the lack of common ground.

LSE works fine. But I don't expect many to buy into it. Stereotypes had gotten in the way for far too long.
    Last edited by InkStrider; 10-11-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't be fully certain of your typing until Bolt has denied it. congratulations, InkStrider.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't say shit, just quoted Ayn Rand. Of course you won't push it, you don't even know what you're talking about.
    Yeah, I quoted her because I found it to be of relevance in proving my point. You are free to argue on those quotes/points and to provide your take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd
    I have had the "pleasure" struggling with metaphysics during philosophy of politics and as much I hate it, I know what I'm talking about contrary to you.
    Okay. Prove me wrong and tell me exactly what are you talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    you can't be fully certain of your typing until Bolt has denied it. congratulations, InkStrider.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Te vs Ti difference. I can't argue your style, and you can't argue mine. I do not accept your system/approach to begin with. Which is the reason for the lack of common ground.
    I'm personally bothered by the fact that one of us is certainly wrong. Seems like it is not even a possibility for you, hence I give you little chances of progress, though I think you have potential (interest).
    LSE works fine. But I don't expect many to buy into it. Stereotypes had gotten into the way for far too long.
    This was your problem all along our discussions: you misinterpret what I say and project on me different prejudices that you're sure people have. You're wrong, both here (i.e. I don't think individualism and Aristocracy are mutully exclusive) and in the Si thread (i.e. claiming I believe that Si types are incapable of information synthesis). Now we got one reason that made me believe yu're Intuitive Irrational: you "guess" too much where me and others come from at the first sight, ST at least is out of question, get real.
    Quote Originally Posted by labocat View Post
    I'm a motivator.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beyond everything, the claim that Ayn Rand can be EII is so hilarious that if I were you I'd retreat to Tibet to recollect. Even your gut feeling about what types can be is fucked up, InkStrider. Just put up a description of EII and one of Rand side-by-side and behold the enormous antagonism.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, I quoted her because I found it to be of relevance in proving my point. You are free to argue on those quotes/points and to provide your take on it.
    I already did. By the way, whom am I arguing against, Rand or you?

Okay. Prove me wrong and tell me exactly what are you talking about.
    Haha. Fact is, assertion made by Rand that one's metaphysical assumptions determine one's ethics is still unproven, that is, disagreement over this issue still continues, comprende? All I wanted to say it sounds a bit intuitive to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beyond everything, the claim that Ayn Rand can be EII is so hilarious that if I were you I'd retreat to Tibet to recollect. Even your gut feeling about what types can be is fucked up, InkStrider. Just put up a description of EII and one of Rand side-by-side and behold the enormous antagonism.
    Just to clear things up, I'm suggesting that Ayn Rand is LSE, not EII. That you could have made this mistake show that you have hardly considered (possibly not even read) what I wrote.

I'm personally bothered by the fact that one of us is certainly wrong. Seems like it is not even a possibility for you, hence I give you little chances of progress, though I think you have potential (interest).
    One or perhaps the both of us might be wrong. It'd be good to pinpoint the cause of contention and deal with that.

This was your problem all along our discussions: you misinterpret what I say and project on me different prejudices that you're sure people have. You're wrong, both here (i.e. I don't think individualism and Aristocracy are mutully exclusive) and in the Si thread (i.e. claiming I believe that Si types are incapable of information synthesis).
    Point out where I have misinterpreted you, and we'll address it. The projection accusation is getting trite.

Here, you said it yourself that individualism is "far-fetched" from Delta. Alright, not mutually-exclusive perhaps, but close enough for me to assume that as your stance. If I'm not wrong, the nature of our misunderstanding in the Si thread is similar to the one here.

Now we got one reason that made me believe yu're Intuitive Irrational: you "guess" too much where me and others come from at the first sight, ST at least is out of question, get real.
    Okay, thank you for describing one of your indicators in how you determine a person to be an Intuitive Irrational. I'm tempted to slap the "non type-related" label onto it, but I'd also point out that how much "too much" is, is subjective to our interpretation. Also that what you termed as my "guess", had been how you came off in your words. I had simply assumed what had been to me your most obvious stance, considering the general nature of your words.

I already did. By the way, whom am I arguing against, Rand or you?
    The obvious answer is neither. We're arguing on her type.

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd
    Haha. Fact is, assertion made by Rand that one's metaphysical assumptions determine one's ethics is still unproven, that is, disagreement over this issue still continues, comprende? All I wanted to say it sounds a bit intuitive to me.
    Whether it is unproven or not is besides the point. In this context, it doesn't really matter whether what she's saying is accurate, but that she actually said it, claimed it, believed in it. Which means that her views have possible correlations to her type.
    Last edited by InkStrider; 10-11-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The obvious answer is neither. We're arguing on her type.
    You just typed her differently after posting some quotes. I've seen ILE, LSI and SLE for her. Now it is LSE coming from you, not to mention labcoat who types her gamma, prolly LIE.

Whether it is unproven or not is besides the point. In this context, it doesn't really matter whether what she's saying is accurate, but that she actually said it, claimed it, believed in it. Which means that her views have possible correlations to her type.
    Haha, you almost shit your pants, when I, supposedly, couldn't prove something but it is alright when Rand is wrong, and not alright when I'm right. That's pretty hilarious. Anyway, post some more quotes, preferably those about willpower.

EDIT: Don't get so fanatical about socionics, you said it yourself I quote "socionics is blah" or that "socionics doesn't exist" or some shit like that. Keep that in mind before I steamroll over you.
    Last edited by Absurd; 10-11-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One day, we shall all look back into these threads and take a good long laugh at ourselves. Good long laughter in affectionate amusement at our own absurdity.

Good times, we would say to ourselves... The good old times.

TIM
    INFp, e5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jershey Shore is the single greatest television show to have been concieved.

My money's on Ayn Rand being an INTp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rockwell View Post
    My money's on Ayn Rand being an INTp.
    Justify it.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Many months ago on an mbti forum I posted the following...

Ayn Rand, well I think she would qualify as she certainly set the American mindset to laissez faire for at least 20 years and still has a profound impact worldwide.

I quite like objectivism in it's own way, but it is a philosophy entirely dependant upon self sufficiency and the ability of individuals to pursue wants that are a universal trade-off and to actually see beyond the self for it to be palatable. I just don't think it can reach the true global optimum espoused by Rand due to the limitations of society and of individual competency. Perhaps we can all aspire to be more objective and I doubt it would hurt us at all.

Anyway, considering the lack of the global viewpoint of the issue, I would have to say she falls into that awkward category of: is it an ISTp or INTp seeking a new optimum that is different or is it an INFj or even ENFp with a cause?'

"I am not primarily an advocate of capitalism, but of egoism; and I am not primarily an advocate of egoism, but of reason. If one recognizes the supremacy of reason and applies it consistently, all the rest follows."
    I'm also not sure if her studies of Nietzsche imply that Nietzche was the INTp who set the ball rolling with Will to Power and she was an xNFj who found something that resounded with her own aspirations and struck her against her early history in the Soviet Union.

Certainly there is little as xNTj with Fi and Te than the Will to Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Nietzsche
    "I have found strength where one does not look for it: in simple, mild, and pleasant people, without the least desire to rule—and, conversely, the desire to rule has often appeared to me a sign of inward weakness: they fear their own slave soul and shroud it in a royal cloak (in the end, they still become the slaves of their followers, their fame, etc.) The powerful natures dominate, it is a necessity, they need not lift one finger. Even if, during their lifetime, they bury themselves in a garden house!"
    Power and will are seen as this strong internal benchmark that doesn't just override individual action but those we interact with as seen in the 'Who is John Galt?' that permeates Atlas Shrugged. John Galt's quiet ability to simply be powerful in will and direct the world rather than necessitate that others give from them to him through force is at the core of Will to Power.

We also see the traditional failing of Fi and Te as a mindset when it has ran out of steam in Ayn Rand. After the publication of Atlas Shrugged, Rand fell into a "deep depression" and chided herself for not being more like her ideal man, remarking:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Anderson, New York Magazine
    "John Galt wouldn’t feel this, he would know how to handle this. I don’t know."
    I'm going to be the revolutionary and go 'ENFp/ESFp' on this one just because it's too easy to choose INTp/ENTj.

Quote Originally Posted by aspasier
    ooOOoo... Hm. That is interesting. Fi to account for her individualistic value system and Te for her goal-oriented approach to rationality. Nice. But this raises another question: how do we tell if her better function was really either a T on an F? Shouldn't she be an ENTJ? What you described seems to be characteristic of them. Shadow Fi would account why she reacted the way she did after the the completion of Atlas i.e. after a great amount of stress. Is the fact that the basis of her philosophy her value system sufficient for concluding that she was an F? Just wondering.
    This is a good question; Is she preferring F over T? I can't be sure; infact you've got me thinking that because her writing has such a logical basis behind her beliefs that she preferred T as the overarching structure of her value system. In addition because she disintegrated to isolation after the book was published that this would make her ENTJ.

The Fi inferior crept up and overwhelmed her sense of self; disappointed that she could never gain the moral conviction of John Galt, a character who she could dream off but who she could never be in her eyes.

I'm withdrawing ENFp as a poorly thought out conclusion and raising ENTj instead as something more global.

--------------------------
    Current Thinking

It is now clear to me that Ayn Rand is an xNTj. The will to power is quite the gamma quadra trait and thus indicative that Ayn Rand could be SFp or NTj. She idealises Fi so this appears to be in the inferior however Fe is PoLR. xNTj it is.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I'm also not sure if her studies of Nietzsche imply that Nietzche was the INTp who set the ball rolling with Will to Power and she was an xNFj who found something that resounded with her own aspirations and struck her against her early history in the Soviet Union.
    You're completely wrong. Nietzsche didn't write Will to Power. Will to Power was produced off Nietzsche's discarded notes and published after his death by his his own sister Elisabeth who, in turn, was married to a chauvinist and anti-semite. I don't have to mention she was pretty enthusiastic about ******, and this is how Nietzsche's name was linked with fascism or still is seeing you comment on it.

Anyway, this is political, in case you haven't noticed.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're completely wrong. Nietzsche didn't write Will to Power. Will to Power was produced off Nietzsche's discarded notes and published after his death by his his own sister Elisabeth who, in turn, was married to n chauvinist and anti-semite. I don't have to mention she was pretty enthusiastic about ******, and this is how Nietzsche's name was linked with fascism or still is seeing you comment on it.

Anyway, this is political, in case you haven't noticed.
    That isn't a relevant point of context to the discussion of Ayn Rands type.

wank wank wank.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That isn't a relevant point of context to the discussion of Ayn Rands type.
    Oh I see, being sure she was influenced by someone else is completely off. What's the point in mentioning Nietzsche, then? Can't you stick to your own advice and keep irrelevancies out?

wank wank wank.
    Quackie, quackie, rubber duckie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current Thinking

It is now clear to me that Ayn Rand is an xNTj. The will to power is quite the gamma quadra trait and thus indicative that Ayn Rand could be SFp or NTj. She idealises Fi so this appears to be in the inferior however Fe is PoLR. xNTj it is.
    ENTj is a pretty good suggestion, IMO. I caught on to the Fi idealizing as well. But why the Ni emphasis over Si? What specifically of the Will to Power do you perceive as Gamma?
    Last edited by InkStrider; 10-12-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: grammar

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't you stick to your own advice and keep irrelevancies out?
    I'm amused and your absurd. Do you even know what the idea of this thread is?

Drawing parallels/benchmarks is important as long as we don't treat those parallels/benchmarks in isolation.

ENTj is a pretty good suggestion, IMO. I caught on to the Fi idealizing as well. But why the Ni emphasis over Si? What specifically of the Will to Power do you perceived as Gamma?
    It should be implicit. INTp/ENTj, particularly INTp desires Fi and disdains Fe. According to Jung/certain socionist, ENTj is somewhat hot for Fi, moreso than INTp, ESI being their dual. INTp has a sufficient tackle of the matter to be able to use it without finding it scary. See Se for the similar in INTp. As the text above said, Ayn idealised Galt as the 'ideal person'. Infact she compares her husband to him directly in the prologue of the fountainhead she wrote in the 50's.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm amused and your absurd. Do you even know what the idea of this thread is?
    It definitely isn't comparing her to Nietzsche or vice versa.

Drawing parallels/benchmarks is important as long as we don't treat those parallels/benchmarks in isolation.
    Like in similarities? Know Nietzsche's sister committed petty forgeries when producing and publishing Will to Power and shaped it more in the image of her husband who later committed suicide, his beliefs, I mean.

As for Rand, seeing you, Pinky and labcoat talk same language gamma it is.

TIM
    INFp, e5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justify it.
    If I do, promise me you won't hack me to death over it.

In my eyes, she exhibits a great deal of Ni and Te behavior.

"Ni is responsible for the estimation of the passage of time, the understanding of a course of processes in time, and forecasting. Ni understand how things may change and evolve over time and throughout history. Ni is acutely aware of events that are occurring outside of the immediate perception of the moment, and sees events as part of a continuous flow. Ni perceives the possible ramifications of future events and notices ties to the past. Ni observes behavioral patterns and can assess a person's character."

"Te is efficiency of an action, technical processes, the accomplishment of work, the efficient and prudent use of resources, factual accuracy, and the acquisition of relevant and useful information. Te understands the difference between effective and ineffective behavior when performing a procedure or accomplishing a task, and aspires to increase the frequency of productive outcomes within a system." (Taken from Wikipedia, because there aren't many good sources on Socionics in English anyway.)

She often speaks about economics according to her understanding of the history and nature of man. She often spoke her opinion on which forms of economics she found to be the most beneficial for society. Based on these reasons alone, I've concluded that Ayn Rand is ILI, an INTp.

Though I may be completely wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be implicit. INTp/ENTj, particularly INTp desires Fi and disdains Fe. According to Jung/certain socionist, ENTj is somewhat hot for Fi, moreso than INTp, ESI being their dual. INTp has a sufficient tackle of the matter to be able to use it without finding it scary. See Se for the similar in INTp. As the text above said, Ayn idealised Galt as the 'ideal person'. Infact she compares her husband to him directly in the prologue of the fountainhead she wrote in the 50's.
    I do agree with Te valuing but again why Se>Si and Ni>Ne?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rockwell View Post
    If I do, promise me you won't hack me to death over it.
    Ah. I do tend to come off a little too strongly at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Rockwell
    In my eyes, she exhibits a great deal of Ni and Te behavior.

"Ni is responsible for the estimation of the passage of time, the understanding of a course of processes in time, and forecasting. Ni understand how things may change and evolve over time and throughout history. Ni is acutely aware of events that are occurring outside of the immediate perception of the moment, and sees events as part of a continuous flow. Ni perceives the possible ramifications of future events and notices ties to the past. Ni observes behavioral patterns and can assess a person's character."

"Te is efficiency of an action, technical processes, the accomplishment of work, the efficient and prudent use of resources, factual accuracy, and the acquisition of relevant and useful information. Te understands the difference between effective and ineffective behavior when performing a procedure or accomplishing a task, and aspires to increase the frequency of productive outcomes within a system." (Taken from Wikipedia, because there aren't many good sources on Socionics in English anyway.)

She often speaks about economics according to her understanding of the history and nature of man. She often spoke her opinion on which forms of economics she found to be the most beneficial for society. Based on these reasons alone, I've concluded that Ayn Rand is ILI, an INTp.
    I can understand where you're coming from. My beef is with the description of the functions, especially with the Ni one. I can relate to everything that is attributed to Ni, and if I have to type myself based on those alone, it would make me some Ni type. Except that I'm ironically, an Ni PoLR.

Anyway, you should post more.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree with Te valuing but again why Se>Si and Ni>Ne?
    Gamma quadra? Didn't I raise this already in some depth?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ah. I do tend to come off a little too strongly at times.
    You make strong tea as far as I am concerned. Too dense for my taste.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast