Thread: Type a colleague of mine

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type a colleague of mine

(I'm going to edit this post after a few days' time because anybody from my company who reads it will know who I'm referring to. lol.)

He is from another dept. He is one of the management staff and I initially didn't really like him. However, as I have gotten to interact with him more, I began to discover his admirable qualities and I wish that I have them.

Just a short description of how I have perceived him:

He has a Type A personality and always on the ball with everything around him, checking out how are things going at the moment. He likes things to be fast and gets impatient when things don't go the way he wants. He talks in a hurried manner as well and jumps when there is a slight mistake. He is someone who likes to see results. He doesn't like to wait because a lot of things can possibly happen. In doing anything, he always talks about damage control rather than improving on something. He also picks on me when I am not logical or consistent.

He seems like an extravert and likes to talk alot as well. Whenever I sit in with him during an interview, he complains to my colleague that I don't speak much. He is so work-oriented that he even calls up my colleague to at night about 1-2 times a week to talk about work-related matters. He tends to focus on the mistakes we have made rather than talk about the good things we have done. After a while, he will steer his conversation to something unrelated to work eg. family, career goals etc. Once he starts talking, he can't stop.

He's a survivalist who knows how to steer his sail with the wind. He is very intelligent and capable. However, he is a "reluctant manager" i.e. doesn't really like managing people. However, he pays attention to every staff and is willing to fight for their pay rise if he thinks that they have special skills.

He became nicer to me when I invited him for dinner on a Friday evening with two of my colleagues. Even though he seems hard on us sometimes, I like him as a person and thought that I will show my appreciation through this gesture. Apparently, my two other colleagues mentioned that they will never invite him for dinner if not for me. lol. He was very appreciative of my gesture and thought that I am a "nice girl". The dinner was some sort of a turning point and he spent about 1.5 hours talking to my colleague saying all the good things we have done. lol. The next time I make mistakes in my work, he became more tolerant of me. I guess he began to realize that I'm someone who takes my work seriously and I never shirk my responsibilities. I felt motivated to work harder because of his belief in me.

Since he is a management staff, I was very careful in not letting people know that I have invited him for dinner because I don't want them to think that I'm curry-favoring him. Anyway, he once told me and my colleagues that no one is special. People might seem unique on the surface but at the end of the day we are all the same. He also mentioned that he believes that everyone should have a choice and not make decisions too hastily. Even though he is someone who makes decision fast, he believes that everyone should be entitled to many choices in life so that he/she will know what he/she really wants in life and make the right choice.

This colleague of mine is someone I look up to. Whenever I make mistakes infront of him, I feel more conscious than when I made them infront of others because I want to create a good impression.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Gamma extravert.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Some Gamma extravert.
    No. He is not an SEE.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd restrict the analysis to ESTj, ENTj, ISTj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That's more likely. But I would probably exclude the ISTj.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounded LIE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds somewhat like an ESTj boss I used to have.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    I thought the same when reading it. Seems like either a fairly strongish Te 6th function or a fairly strongish Se 6th function. Maybe why it's semi hard figuring it out between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittmont View Post
    Sounds somewhat like an ESTj boss I used to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    sounded LIE
    Hmmm, I'm not very sure. One of my colleagues, Ne-ENFp, thinks he's an asshole sometimes. She has a relatively good relationship with him though, considering that he looks for her for advice about career goals and stuff like that, or have friendly informal conversations with her. One thing she couldn't understand about him is that he is a demanding person and he gets too worked up when things don't go his way. (It could be due to the fact that I'm a Rational type, so I didn't see anything wrong with him.)

He is a very detail-oriented person and will not leave any stone unturned. I sometimes feel stressed by the way he asked me because I don't have the facts readily at hand and often have to request for him to wait for me to find out more about it before I am confident enough to answer him.

He once felt that I'm quite an untactful person. During an interview, I informed the candidate that his expected salary is tad high, but we can meet something close to his expected. To him, I should not give this candidate the bad news the first time we meet, but I thought that it would be more appropriate for me to give a realistic picture to him instead of letting him be misled.

My Ne-ENFp colleague thinks that he is a very boring person who is not good at jokes. Here is an overview of his style of humour: when delivering good news, he would like to make people think that it is a bad news before revealing that it is actually not what they have thought to be. For instance, he once told a temp staff of his that he has bad news for him and wants to see him in his room. The news delivered to the temp staff is that he has been converted to a permanent employee. When the temp staff asked him why is that news considered a bad one, he was like, "you are now going to be stuck to us for good, don't you think it is a bad news?" (Of course, he didn't mean that. It was just his way of giving people surprises.)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'd tell him to just chill out and smoke a joint.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always like people with a sense of urgency and do things quick. I have the first quality, but not the latter. lol.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not very sure. One of my colleagues, Ne-ENFp, thinks he's an asshole sometimes.
    You're not sure about what?

Especially when it comes to work matters, LSE, LIE, and LSI can all be assholes.

Trust me

She has a relatively good relationship with him though, considering that he looks for her for advice about career goals and stuff like that, or have friendly informal conversations with her. One thing she couldn't understand about him is that he is a demanding person and he gets too worked up when things don't go his way. (It could be due to the fact that I'm a Rational type, so I didn't see anything wrong with him.)
    You've never met an irrational type that was demanding?

He is a very detail-oriented person and will not leave any stone unturned. I sometimes feel stressed by the way he asked me because I don't have the facts readily at hand and often have to request for him to wait for me to find out more about it before I am confident enough to answer him.

He once felt that I'm quite an untactful person. During an interview, I informed the candidate that his expected salary is tad high, but we can meet something close to his expected. To him, I should not give this candidate the bad news the first time we meet, but I thought that it would be more appropriate for me to give a realistic picture to him instead of letting him be misled.
    What he was trying to say was that you shouldn't make anything like a deal breaker announcement or declaration the first time you meet someone. If someone looks promising, things can be arranged, or more so, it might just take more time to figure out whether or not he would be useful to hire.

I would not recommend that you use that bit of information to type him. It could simply part of working in an organization.

My Ne-ENFp colleague thinks that he is a very boring person who is not good at jokes. Here is an overview of his style of humour: when delivering good news, he would like to make people think that it is a bad news before revealing that it is actually not what they have thought to be. For instance, he once told a temp staff of his that he has bad news for him and wants to see him in his room. The news delivered to the temp staff is that he has been converted to a permanent employee. When the temp staff asked him why is that news considered a bad one, he was like, "you are now going to be stuck to us for good, don't you think it is a bad news?" (Of course, he didn't mean that. It was just his way of giving people surprises.)
    Ok
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump. I'm getting convinced that my colleague might be an ENTj. He has demonstrated quite a number of qualities which are consistent with ENTj imo.

More about my colleague:

-He doesn't spend much time on his image and doesn't regard it as his priority. He mentioned once that his wife was the one who bought his working clothes and left everything to her.

-To him, what is his belongs to his wife as well. For example, he has one joint bank account with her without having any personal account to himself and he shares a personal email account with her.

-As mentioned before, he likes to see results fast. Hence, whenever he doesn't get any response from his colleagues after quite some time, he would think that they are been lazy.
    Last edited by eunice; 08-15-2008 at 02:22 AM.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice View Post
    curry-favoring

He sounds negativist, extroverted, and logical.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post

He sounds negativist, extroverted, and logical.
    ESTj?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or SLE.
    SEE

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Or SLE.
    Not likely. He does not value Fe. Not Beta at all.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come to think of it, there are types who might feel paranoid around a Te dominant and see him/her as hypercritical even if that person wasn't all that negative and just wanted things to run most efficiently and effectively. LIE could be a possibility.
    SEE