TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to explain socionics to those who are unfamilar

This is a start:

The way that people metabolize information has an effect on their relationships with other people. There are eight fundamental ways information is metabolized, they are: The implication of evaluation, the application of evaluation, the implication of reasoning, the application of reasoning, the implication of sensing, the application of sensing, the implication of imagination, and the application of imagination. These eight functional elements form the basis of all human cognition. Information can either be processed consciously (like you are reading this) or unconsciously (like driving a car over a long distance, since consciousness is volitional).

Consciousness allows one to be aware of information, and thus have the ability to arrange them (which by definition is human authority). Consciousness is the ego. The ego is split into two forms: the rational ego, and the irrational ego. The rational ego is the part of a person that is focus on producing results, while the irrational ego does not know what is right (and is often preoccupied as such), and therefore lacks a basis for producing any meaningful results.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

irrational ego is registering what is happening
    Yes the rational is occupied with producing results
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to shield people I know from socionics these days. Partly because why bother, and partly because the only time I'd ever mention it is when I'm dreadfully drunk and it's the most disjointed horrible M.C. Escher-style explanation that is possible on this here Earth.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    EIE 8w7 Sx/So
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only tried introducing Socionics to somebody once, and it was horribly complicated, partly because I was pretty drunk when I tried. It's easier if they've delved into Jungian functions on their own already, since it makes translating simpler. Now, I'd just say "there are 8 types of information a person can pay attention to, and each sociotype has its own preferences that stack up in different ways and affect how we behave and relate to other people".

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long long ago there were four cities. The ancestors of your people resided on the coast on the south near the hills of Alpha lollypop land. Two of their allied cities, one to the west and one to the east, were named The City of Angels, also known as Las Betas, and The City of Kings, Elder Sanctum. The fine scholars of Las Betas would drink wine and laugh with your kind at the festival of the spirits as they prepare you with good news and fine maps. The noble gentiles of the City of Kings lend you their ancient knowledge and access into the path of great pools. At the northern most mountain there lurks the chaotic and uncivilized trollmongers of the Gamma Fortress. Beware their foul play and spreading of trivial promises with aid of coin to your allies' ear.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i don't

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    and it's the most disjointed horrible M.C. Escher-style explanation that is possible on this here Earth.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    This is a start:

The way that people metabolize information has an effect on their relationships with other people. There are eight fundamental ways information is metabolized, they are: The implication of evaluation, the application of evaluation, the implication of reasoning, the application of reasoning, the implication of sensing, the application of sensing, the implication of imagination, and the application of imagination. These eight functional elements form the basis of all human cognition. Information can either be processed consciously (like you are reading this) or unconsciously (like driving a car over a long distance, since consciousness is volitional).

Consciousness allows one to be aware of information, and thus have the ability to arrange them (which by definition is human authority). Consciousness is the ego. The ego is split into two forms: the rational ego, and the irrational ego. The rational ego is the part of a person that is focus on producing results, while the irrational ego does not know what is right (and is often preoccupied as such), and therefore lacks a basis for producing any meaningful results.
    There is a consciousness and an unconsciousness. The thought capacity of one equals the other, which is the reason why people who think clearly also have seemingly good "intuitions." The unconsciousness is the inverse of the implication/application of the consciousness.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a consciousness and an unconsciousness. The thought capacity of one equals the other, which is the reason why people who think clearly also have seemingly good "intuitions." The unconsciousness is the inverse of the implication/application of the consciousness.
    and since there is a rational ego and irrational ego of the consciousness (one developed and the other not so developed, respectively), we can postulate that there is a developed unconsciousness, and an undeveloped unconsciousness.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A person's bio-chemical energy allows the informational functions to develop the capacity to process and integrate more information throughout the psyche.

People tend to automatize their interactions with reality to conserve energy (consciousness is volitional), thus is the value of rational principles. A person works to develop the information functions until all of the information is understood and condensed into rational principles within that function.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The proper way to metabolize each information function is to do so honestly. Therefore each function has its proper use:
    Candor
    Expectation management or accurate evaluation
    Resourceful volition
    Health management
    Imagination of the essence or strategy
    Imagination of events
    Congruency within contexts
    Resource efficiency
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

metabolizes information as a dynamic application of evaluation to the self. This is what you do when you express yourself.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

metabolizes information as a static implication of evaluation to the self. This is what you do when you evaluate for yourself.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

metabolizes information as a static implication of evaluation to the self. This is what you do when you evaluate for yourself.
    Moreover, when this function is well developed, one can manage their expectations of other people and objects more clearly (such as rewarding and punishing others to guide them).

Just like types have deduction, there is in fact, a proper way to metabolize information. That is, honestly and properly guiding the person towards a better state by means of implicating their evaluations by sort of conditioning them.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagination of events
    :
    A person actually does not have to be conscious to use these functions, but they do have to correspond to reality in the sense of producing a self-preserving result.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually explain Socionics in terms of the history of its development (psycho-analysis, freud, jung, myers, aushra, etc.), and end with a broad strokes explanation of the functions, types, and inter-type system. I only discuss it with people who like that sort of stuff (philosophical, psycho-analytic, artistic people) and I always qualify the theory as intuitive and not scientific.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Jim, you're already making socionics incredibly complicated here.

Summary:

Everyone has a type and Socionics helps you figure out which one is your dual and how you will interact with other types; types also create social roles.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Show up on the street with a big sign saying "I have seen the truth" and start bugging random people. With a bit of luck you're going to get stabbed.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Alpha:

Beta:

Gamma:

Delta:

p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    Alpha:
    WHAT THE FUCK?

Beta:
    WHAT THE FUCK?

Gamma:
    WHAT THE FUCK?

Delta:
    WHAT THE FUCK?

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't even bother trying to explain, even if they wanted to know because they'd just look at you crazy. If people want the info they will seek it out themselves, just direct them to the site and if they are smart enough they will sort it out.

Honestly, information is dangerous. The less people know about socionclics the better. I've come to the point where I've internalized almost every aspect of socionics. Just by looking at someone, their face, the way they talk, what they talk about, interest, every single thing detail about them..I identify their type within seconds of just looking at them. I already read people like a book but with socionics I can read into their
    minds. I see everything about the person. With socionics it would be painfully easy to manipulate anyone if you're smart enough, this information would be deadly in malicious hands. The less who know, the better.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Honestly, information is dangerous. The less people know about socionclics the better. I've come to the point where I've internalized almost every aspect of socionics. Just by looking at someone, their face, the way they talk, what they talk about, interest, every single thing detail about them..I identify their type within seconds of just looking at them. I already read people like a book but with socionics I can read into their
    minds. I see everything about the person. With socionics it would be painfully easy to manipulate anyone if you're smart enough, this information would be deadly in malicious hands. The less who know, the better.
    That's what Isabel Myers and her mother Katherine did after reading Jung's Psychological Types, the anecdotes Jung called "facts."

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of the way the brain works, one cannot evaluate (Fi, Fe) and think logically (Ti, Te), or abstract (Ne, Ni) and concrete (Se, Si) at the same time. In another words people’s information metabolism is bipolar. A person’s irrational ego is the opposite of their rational ego. This is the reason why individual authority is seemingly projected in different ways. This implies self-development differs from one to another in fundamental ways. Since people lack honesty, they do not develop rational principles and therefore do not develop the ability to metabolize information efficiently, especially in the area that gets less attention, the irrational ego. This is where rational principles are of big help to one’s existence, and thus with enough effort (bio-chemical energy + focus) one can develop each facet to one’s relationship with reality.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to nutshell a crazy coconut as big as Socionics is going to leave you with a mess on the ground. But there's some good information in here.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    music fids they fids
    Well I must admit the Beta one did make me feel really uncomfortable. The gamma/deltas were sillyeah--alphas were boring.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only explained socionics to one person successfully. I've tried with others but they didn't have the interest. It's difficult to explain socionics and make a person take it seriously. But alpha NTs are generally the naturals, so maybe a little easier with them.

As for the success:

He is a friend, LII. He had had some problems with relationships and I told him there is a theory that might help him. I said that I understand that he is sceptical towards all kinds of theories that you can find on the internet, but regardless of what he thinks of it it can give him some new perspecitive on things. That was just the right kind of persuation for him. LIIs are willing to give things a try if you give them just a small reason to do it.

I gave him some links and just told him: Take a week and read this and learn what it's all about (You're smart, you can digest information yourself). Then we'll talk later.

Then we met at my place and I answered some questions he had. He then knew the very basics of model A and types. He was interested but not convinced. Then I told him his and my type. Then I bombarded him with videos of ESEs. And that worked! He was almost shocked. Because he could suddenly see how socionics made sense, how they are his dual, and how he had always thought that they were "too good" for him. The experience was very hands-on, he litterally melted when watching ESEs. (especially D-ESE, he is N-LII). He was especially fond of Vicotoria Silverstedt. I was like, hmm she seems a little... blond? He was all: no, she is really smart and I can totally follow her thoughts.

Socionics is not just theory, so I feel it's good to take advantage of this, how it works in real life when explaining it.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Well I must admit the Beta one did make me feel really uncomfortable. The gamma/deltas were sillyeah--alphas were boring.
    All four sound like this to me:

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an example:
    Conscious:
    Rational ego (authority):
    Congruency within contexts
    Irrational ego (self-doubt):
    Resourceful volition
    Expectation management or accurate evaluation

Unconscious:
    Irrational (weak, and unaware)
    Health management
    Candor

Rational (not authority, but is strong)
    Imagination of events

Resource efficiency

Since there is a bio-chemical and focus (effort) going into the metabolism of information, the projection of the particular authority has the same bipolar effect on other people as it does on oneself. So a Se ego person and a Ne ego person mutually hinder one another assuming all else equal (environment, and effort output). The effort output is a result of the ability of use of that function. So, if the Ne ego person has better overall capacity than the Se ego type, the effect is the Se ego type will not be able to fully express himself due to the psychological pressure; this person then experiences an authority deficient.
    But what if the Ne type encounters an Si ego type? The flow of information is going into the weak and unconscious part of the psyche; there is nothing stopping it from going there. Keep in mind that Si is the inverse of Se, so both functions deal with the overall same facet of reality, except one is an implication and the other is an application. The result is a flow of Se/Si information that does not bring the Ne ego type into conflict, while increasing its personal knowledge in that area, thus making personal progress.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper informational metabolism, regardless of function, is properly done by honesty, horizontally and vertically integrating and disintegrating. So any type can figure out anything, depending on the capiblity of that person.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Jim, you're already making socionics incredibly complicated here.

Even if I simplified this, do you still think this is to complicated for most to comprehend?

I am going to put this information in there for sure, but the development of this section will go through three stages: 1.) To forumulate the groundwork and ensure that nothing is missing, everything being correct. 2.) Tailer the infromation with the desired result for the reader to apply. 3.) make it easy for the dumbest of the target audience to comprehend.

I am still in the first stage here, but making it short and sweet, and to the point.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind I am Fi POLR here

so do not take my blunt statements personally, but feel free to criticize them.

Thank you.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

keep in mind I am Fi POLR here

so do not take my blunt statements personally, but feel free to criticize them.

Thank you.
    You were not being blunt and I do not criticize your work, however you did clarify the pattern or the approach you're using which helps me see your process.
    -

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a person lacks Fi information flow, he or she will not punish or reward either themself or other people properly, therefore this person will not be properly socialized.

For example, I have Fi as a fourth function, and I was 20 minutes late for class today. I realized that I did not feel enough guilt and therefore did not feel the need to correct the problem as much as I should have. I am completly capible of making it there on time, but I failed to do so.

A weak fourth function is charateristic of a lack of maturity.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a person lacks Fi information flow, he or she will not punish or reward either themself or other people properly, therefore this person will not be properly socialized.
    Problem. Fi doesn't mean you are a moral crusader that lashes people for acting "unaccordingly" or giving them cookies for acting "accordingly".
    Consider pairing E9 with Fi and you'll see the flaw in your argument.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fen View Post
    I do not understand what this means.

Problem. Fi doesn't mean you are a moral crusader that lashes people for acting "unaccordingly" or giving them cookies for acting "accordingly".
    Does Fi have something to do with non logical evaluations?
    --Theodore Roosevelt

-- Mark Twain

-- Confucius

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does it mean fen?