Thread: Spelling/Grammar

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spelling/Grammar

Am I the only one bothered by bad spelling and poor grammar? Is caring about spelling and grammar at all type related? It absolutely drives me crazy when someone writes something that's supposed to be very intelligent and erudite (especially in an argument) and then they fail epically on their spelling and grammar. I think it relates to the fact that I can stomach smugness, and I can stomach incompetence, but the combination of the two frustrates me to no end.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm in a hurry I'm terrible with both spelling and grammar (as you can tell by reading my posts), however it does annoy me when I see this trait in others.
    This unsettles me.

EDIT: Actually, I don't always punctuate correctly regardless of time constraints.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect they're related to Ti -- both spelling and grammar are explicit static systems (external statics of fields/Ti). If my theory is correct, it would be Merry types who care most about spelling and grammar, and Logical types who are naturally the best at it.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not very good with spelling (probably better than average though) but excellent with grammar. I think it's a Ti thing.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it annoys the shit out of me when people use "words" like u, 4, 2, etc. It's not cute. It's not cool.

Lately I've been finding that I don't mind when certain people do it though?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm very strict about grammar. I'd like to be the same with spelling, but I'm better at the former than the latter, and it would be very embarrasing to correct someone and be wrong.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take spelling and grammar seriously, and even moreso when I'm using the commonly problematic English words like:

they're/their/there
    your/you're
    it's/its
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Creepy-male

Grammar is confusing and difficult, so I ignore it. Then, for spelling, I have a spellchecker.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spelling bothers me but I don't really care about grammar that much. I think it is because I am a much better speller.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I as an LII care about spelling and grammar - but I make mistakes because I'm not a native speaker. So I'm not even aware of my mistakes when I read the text I wrote over and over again. Using an online dictionary doesn't help against grammar mistakes.This might be the problem of some more people here because German socionics forums just don't exist...

If someone finds mistakes I made - I'd like to hear them to avoid them in the future...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely depends on the context. If the point of the conversation is to convey meaningful ideas back and forth, then I bother with correct grammar and punctuation, and I'd usually prefer if others to do the same. In other contexts, such as Facebook status posts and the like? I don't care.

I pretty much never correct others' grammar and spelling though.

I'd suspect that caring about it for the sake of caring about it is a Ti-valuing thing overall; other types might have other reasons to care about it.
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

A Tiger livin' in a zoo.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Lately I've been finding that I don't mind when certain people do it though?
    Goodlooking people?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally don't give a shit, unless somebody is being proud of having a good grammar/spelling and he-she makes a mistake

I care more about logical-conceptual mistakes
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor spelling disgusts me. Poor grammar is little better.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If bad spelling and grammar bothered me a lot, I would not be best friends with my best friend. I used to think he was IEE because he talks a lot about people making their lives into they want them to be and stuff, but I'm pretty sure now he's just an ESE that can't spell or write. And is awesome.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really mind it, as long as they're coherent. And I don't think it's type-related.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    It absolutely drives me crazy when someone writes something that's supposed to be very intelligent and erudite (especially in an argument) and then they fail epically on their spelling and grammar.
    So, how would you feel if your argument was refuted by a superior one, articulated with improper grammar?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    So, how would you feel if your argument was refuted by a superior one, articulated with improper grammar?
    Honestly, rather annoyed. Sort of like if I was in a gymnastics competition and another person won despite making multiple technical errors because they did a more complicated trick. If you're going to win, at least win pretty. (and yes, that was wrong on purpose).

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm good at spelling, although I do make a lot of typos when I'm writing conversationally. I care less about those when I'm writing conversationally too. If it's for something professional, I find it really annoying. Some of the things my bosses sent out shocked me. They're expecting someone to trust them with $60 million, but they can't spell basic words? No wonder they don't win many contracts. I'm not very good at remembering grammar rules. Hopefully the grammar mistakes I make are more obscure, but I know there are some I always forget. I'd be better with it if I continually brushed up on it.
    IEE

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, rather annoyed. Sort of like if I was in a gymnastics competition and another person won despite making multiple technical errors because they did a more complicated trick. If you're going to win, at least win pretty. (and yes, that was wrong on purpose).
    Not to be pedantic, but I think your metaphor is incorrect. Winning by a complicated but technically flawed trick is akin to articulating a flawed argument with nice grammar.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be pedantic, but I think your metaphor is incorrect. Winning by a complicated but technically flawed trick is akin to articulating a flawed argument with nice grammar.
    I disagree. Perhaps "complicated" was the wrong term, but my line of thought was that the more complicated trick is, in my opinion, better, just as the superior argument is better. So the better trick (or superior argument) wins, despite the fact that it lacked certain technical aspects (or accuracy of grammar). Or am I misunderstanding something about gymnastics?

I don't care about pedantic. Pedantic is one of my top five favorite adjectives to be, right below pretentious.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. Perhaps "complicated" was the wrong term, but my line of thought was that the more complicated trick is, in my opinion, better, just as the superior argument is better. So the better trick (or superior argument) wins, despite the fact that it lacked certain technical aspects (or accuracy of grammar). Or am I misunderstanding something about gymnastics?
    I think a superior argument is logically sound, which in gymnastics would translate as a technically sound trick. A flawless argument doesn't have to be eloquent or complicated, nor does a flawless physical performance. I figure a flawed argument with nice grammar is equivalent to a fancy/complicated trick with technical flaws, as they both lack efficacy and substance.

I don't care about pedantic. Pedantic is one of my top five favorite adjectives to be, right below pretentious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a metaphor. It's an analogy.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever. It's still flawed. And that is an ironic demonstration of what I'm talking about.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I wouldn't have pointed that out had this topic not been about grammar.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a University of Wisconsin English placement test today. I was actually sort of surprised by how easy it was. You'd have to have really poor grammar and reading comprehension skills (or really poor test taking skills, I suppose) to not do well on it.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been known to be picky with other people's grammar/spelling, and I tend to hold myself to the same expectations.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purposely use improper grammar (especially incomplete sentences) in informal communication such as forum posts, IM's, and PM's. I fear that I've done so much of this that my "proper" writing skills have suffered. But on the plus side I'm a much faster typist than I was before I started hanging out online a lot.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a superior argument is logically sound, which in gymnastics would translate as a technically sound trick. A flawless argument doesn't have to be eloquent or complicated, nor does a flawless physical performance. I figure a flawed argument with nice grammar is equivalent to a fancy/complicated trick with technical flaws, as they both lack efficacy and substance.
    Oh, okay. I see what you mean now. Analogies are tricky.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The failure to capitalize and the use of "u" "2" "noe" etc. bothers me a lot along with not using correct punctuation because it just makes you look like an idiot. Spelling doesn't really bother me a lot. I don't see how spelling typing like dis rly saves u ne tyme bcuz it takes me more tyme 2 think of how 2 rite than it wud if i were typng regularly.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been an excellent speller, although I lapse in grammar. The common man's speak is informal, you know? However, I always notice mistakes of grammar.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I don't see how spelling typing like dis rly saves u ne tyme bcuz it takes me more tyme 2 think of how 2 rite than it wud if i were typng regularly.
    Same! The only think I can think of is that it saves characters in text messages.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm good with spelling and grammar. Poor grammar is like nails on a chalk board. Bad spelling doesn't bother me unless I can't read what you're saying.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my results for my English placement test. Apparently I've tested out of the English requirement for my degree and don't need to take any English classes in college.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my results for my English placement test. Apparently I've tested out of the English requirement for my degree and don't need to take any English classes in college.
    Congratulations, you can speak English. And READ it!!!!!!! (and write?!!!)
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...you're fucking impressive
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care about any of it. I mean obviously in an academic setting I would try to use correct grammar/spelling, but otherwise I just don't care. And I especially don't care how others use it - they are free to do whatever they want.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Congratulations, you can speak English. And READ it!!!!!!! (and write?!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Wow...you're fucking impressive
    I'm saying that I'm disappointed in their requirements.