Thread: So how would I approach typing myself?

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So how would I approach typing myself?

Every member is entitled to at least one "What's my type?" thread, no?

As some of you may know, my typing mechanism is slightly flavored by other personality matrices. How does one normally do an accurate Model A typing?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

four choices of which i can think:

read the Socionics profiles at various sites, learn about the IM elements, assess your relationships via model A, (maybe type a few friends, family members, etc)--and ultimately find out your type that way.

or

you have an expert type you. (of which there are--give or take--10 in the english-speaking community.)

or

you ask for advice here, let a bunch of people who don't understand much about this subject influence your self-opinion, and end up confused, dissatisfied, or or otherwise negatively altered.

or

take a test... (none of them are reliable.)

If I was doing it all again, I'd go with option 1 or 2... Good luck

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    four choices of which i can think:

read the Socionics profiles at various sites, learn about the IM elements, assess your relationships via model A, (maybe type a few friends, family members, etc)--and ultimately find out your type that way.

or

you have an expert type you. (of which there are--give or take--10 in the english-speaking community.)

or

you ask for advice here, let a bunch of people who don't understand much about this subject influence your self-opinion, and end up confused, dissatisfied, or or otherwise negatively altered.

or

take a test... (none of them are reliable.)

If I was doing it all again, I'd go with option 1 or 2... Good luck
    I find option 3 awfully tempting. How could the people here ever lead me awry?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    I find option 3 awfully tempting. How could the people here ever lead me awry?
    So be it then

Tell us about yourself, if you would.

Also, if you can post any pictures of yourself, it could help.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So be it then

Tell us about yourself, if you would.

Also, if you can post any pictures of yourself, it could help.
    The first thing I'll tell you about myself is that I'd never trust a self-picture to be safe on the internet.

The second rule of fight club is that you do not talk about fight club.

The third thing I'm going to tell you is that I attempt to make a joke out of everything. It's something that developed around puberty. (and no, that WASN'T a double entendre) The joke is usually based on obscure reference. And, as Gene Rayburn said, "The first rule of showbiz is to never tell the obvious joke." (lots of rules tonight, I suppose)

The obvious fourth thing to say is that all good things come in threes. I'm going to have to agree with that statement, for this line of text really was awful.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More info , maybe your Ti is too self limiting for you to be typed here. Why not LSI? Talk about your relations with real people, don't need real names of course.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try using Reinin dichotomies while you're at it. Use this method here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...fectively.html

Also, read some subtype descriptions. That's a start. I am usually lazy so I wouldn't look for all the answers, I'd have you do it yourself. It wouldn't be as effective if I tried to do it.

I do however type people with these online, when I have enough information. For instance, I typed sarinana with Reinin dichotomies based off of some good hunches, and it came out SEE, which I think is accurate, especially accurate when resourcing Reinin's own type descriptions, and of course in the end, the main gist of the functions themselves. Dichotomies are always easier to use, but you still want to be rigorous interpreting yourself with them.
    Last edited by 717495; 12-18-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Creepy-male

Weren't you talking about how Contrary is more favourable than Dual because "all elements are valued"? This seems like the painfully abstract kind of point-missing that an Alpha NT would be most inclined to, compared to other types, imo. "In theory..." kind of thinking.

Have you thought about ILE at all?

Anyway, I'm a guess typist. Don't ever assume I've settled on or am more than merely playing with a type until I say

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd type yourself based on your increasing understanding of socionics over time. start with your temperament, and go from there.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    Weren't you talking about how Contrary is more favourable than Dual because "all elements are valued"? This seems like the painfully abstract kind of point-missing that an Alpha NT would be most inclined to, compared to other types, imo. "In theory..." kind of thinking.

Have you thought about ILE at all?

Anyway, I'm a guess typist. Don't ever assume I've settled on or am more than merely playing with a type until I say
    My post on Contraries wasn't entirely serious. I was, more or less, trying to make a point about not being shortsighted in only considering the duals when there could be a viable third, non-dual, candidate.
    Last edited by MatthewZ; 12-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing I'll tell you about myself is that I'd never trust a self-picture to be safe on the internet.

The second rule of fight club is that you do not talk about fight club.

The third thing I'm going to tell you is that I attempt to make a joke out of everything. It's something that developed around puberty. (and no, that WASN'T a double entendre) The joke is usually based on obscure reference. And, as Gene Rayburn said, "The first rule of showbiz is to never tell the obvious joke." (lots of rules tonight, I suppose)

The obvious fourth thing to say is that all good things come in threes. I'm going to have to agree with that statement, for this line of text really was awful.
    LOL!! (Haven't seen a Gene Rayburn reference here in... well, ever.)

Here are some questions that have helped me before in determining quadra:

*What is your favorite band/musician? Movie or TV show? Author?

*What do you want to do as a career?

*Who is someone you admire..? Why? (Doesn't need to be a famous person.)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep it simple, use the 4 dichotomies and confirm your typing by close relationships.

adding more difficulty doesn't necesseraly add accuracy, on contrary, it adds confusion.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're going by Renin Dichotomies, I'm most confident with stating that I'm a result type and judicious type, narrowing down possibilities to ESE, LII, IEE, and SLI.
    Last edited by MatthewZ; 12-19-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you find raccoons loveable?

If so, then you are LII.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!! (Haven't seen a Gene Rayburn reference here in... well, ever.)

Here are some questions that have helped me before in determining quadra:

*What is your favorite band/musician? Movie or TV show? Author?

*What do you want to do as a career?

*Who is someone you admire..? Why? (Doesn't need to be a famous person.)
    I've never been much of a music person. Most of what I listen to is just disjointed sections of what people have sent me.

As for movies, Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan always appealed to me for some reason. In the arena of more modern(past decade) releases, I've taken a liking for Mad Money, Oceans Thirteen, The Bucket List , The Dark Knight, and The Forbidden Kingdom. I've linked to each film's Wikipedia article should any of them not be familiar to you.

In the realm of authors, I must confess that I'm by no means an avid reader. (although I was when I was younger) However, I am able to select an author whose books appealed to me, that author being Max Barry. (the link directs to his webpage)

I'm avoiding the career question on the basis that I feel it has the potential to reveal my status in life due to my ambitions and would not feel it prudent to have this information on the internet.

I've answered the question of who I admire a million times before and in a billion different contexts. My preferred answer has not changed. I truly admire myself. I've pursued goals I wanted to pursue, stuck the ideals I thought were ideal, and just been an all-around decent person. I choose not to select anyone else for this question because regardless of their successes or failures, those successes and failures were in pursuit of their own desires, not mine. This is not to say they are not admirable, but they didn't take my path and I'm not going to waste too much of my time looking up to someone a few steps in front of me, but on a path seven miles over yonder.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any further input?

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear someone owes me a response.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Every member is entitled to at least one "What's my type?" thread, no?
    I still haven't made one! Not that there'd be any point to it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I still haven't made one! Not that there'd be any point to it.
    Good thing. It means you are immune to the constant stream of confusion.