Thread: Man With A Movie Camera (Introduction)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Man With A Movie Camera (Introduction)

I'm guessing for introductions I should start here.

Okay. Start.

I'm Leon and I am currently a student of British education. In September I will hopefully, and grades permitting, be moving to Ireland to study Film Theory and Philosophy at Queen's University Belfast. Then, if I follow my current aspirations and dreams, I will continue to study past MA and PHD and become a film academic.

Professor Frey has a wicked ring to it.

I find a good place to start with introductions is favourite films. My top ten are as follows:

The Bothersome Man
    Chungking Express
    The Darjeeling Express
    Dial H.I.S.T.O.R.Y
    The Happiness Of The Katakuris
    Man With A Movie Camera
    Run Lola Run
    Shoot The Pianist
    Sunshine
    Survive Style 5+

How do you like them apples.

I'm not all cinematic awesome though, I spend time playing Frisbee and practicing the diabolo. Though that is the limits to my exercise. The other chunk of my free time is spent with my PS3 (I'm not going to lie, there's a little nerd inside of me) or working. Then for a short run of things that interest me (or interests) try: Academia, awesomification, explosions, immortality, overkill, slow motion and surrealism.

I believe people are already acquainted with my oldest and best friend Ezra. We has seen much, I and he. I do have some other friends but I am pretty elitist so I am rather picky. In fact when I am older I am thinking of buying Takeshi's Castle and hosting my own matches to decide my friends.

He informs me that I should post some pictures of myself so take these in.

Follows is proof of the friendship between Ezra and I

And that's pretty much everything I have at the front of my brain.

Any questions feel free.

Oh and my type is believed to be IEE.

Leon

This has been posted twice since Ezra's insistence on posting it here.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jesus christ. i'm going to delete your other thread, ok?
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be excellent.

There goes my Fonz.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Leon!
    ...never said that before i think

i'm not the newest member anymore

Anywho nice to meet another IEE
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as IEE I guess we are pretty awesome. Do you have a concise introduction to the IEE. Ezra has given me a few but variation would be nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE blurb: *fill this space with contradictions*
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that what we do? Hm, I will have to look into this.

For those who haven't discovered my knowledge of socionics is limited. I know more about the Enneagram.

I'm more than willing to learn though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't look like you're getting much coverage here, Leon. Which is a shame. This forum was once so active. Take my intro thread for example. It's now the longest thread on the board.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Mr Saturn! Welcome to the forum. Do you like toast?

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo, hard to really tell much from the info you've given so far, so no comments on your type or anything, but welcome to the forum.

Also, you liked Darjeeling? Wow. I really detested the short brother in that one (is his name Schwartzman or something?). What did you like about it? Not to derail the thread or anything, so feel free to talk a little more about yourself, you know, how you see yourself, what you see in other people, life, the universe, and everything.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is. My man Jason Shwartzman.

I love Wes Anderson's use of temporal drama. His sequences that match a 5 second shot of a brilliant moment (for this instance running towards the train which is allegorical of their life) with a slow beat 20 second song segment is fantastic.

Most directors get distracted with power especially with the close group of celebrities at their reign however Anderson gets more refined and avoids pretension. He theater like drama and use of colour gives him talent and an auteur title, yet his values and meanings (through off-beat portrayal) really reaches me.

And in response to the first question. Yes, I like toast. I like it very quickly done though. Hard bread basically.

Myself? Well I am pretty elitist which is due to my upbringing and the fact I have grown up with unambitious people who wasted 18 years of my life and nearly took me down with them.

Shortly before my 19th birthday I changed my name to Leon Frey (complete change) to rid me off my past but mostly to experience something different. It alienated many people (mostly due to their mundane and closed minds) but I have never been happier.

I am usually happy. I feel awesome most of the time and I try to keep it that way. I do things that make me happy and to be honest, most things keep me that way. For instance if I have a crappy day yet I return home and eat chicken in bed while watching Sunshine (Danny Boyle, 2007) I will have had the best day of the week.

I am ambitious and my own 'down time' usually involves me not feeling understood, respected or intelligent. I want to be taken seriously yet still want to be quirky. I don't strive for individuality yet I hate people who are all the same, mostly due to their unknowing conformance. I constantly try to learn so I can become the best and most innovative in my field yet have to combat a love of the simple life, like lying in bed and playing games while eating pancakes.

I don't know really. That's somewhere to start anyway.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's up Leon?

Yeah, you're IEE--the pictures tell the story pretty well, and the words even better.

I'll be serious for a second--I've always wanted my name to be Leon... Seriously, I'm Justin, but Leon is my favorite name, and it's what I'd want to be called if I was choosing a new name... Lucius is pretty cool too, I think... Could you speak to this, why you changed your name?

Anyway, I was a grad student in film studies too for a little while -- with Jeanine Basinger at Wesleyan. She is old but magical. "Kid, ya gotta script, ya say? I could sell that script in ten seconds if I gave a damn..!

Anyway, it's good to meet you... Your friend Ezra is someone I really like around here. It's cool that you're friends with such a good dude.

Ok, talk to you soon.

Creepy-bg

Wes Anderson makes really good movies.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep thiking of this Mr. Saturn:

Welcome to the board, Leon.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I keep thiking of this Mr. Saturn:

Welcome to the board, Leon.
    that looks like some creepy japanese sex toy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would guess ne type. alpha nt perhaps

being a hipster is a bad idea. glorified consumers spit
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, Mr Saturn (the Mother Earth figure) is where my name originates from. Mostly after playing non-stop Super Smash Brothers Melee for a long time and finding his presence genius.

Many factors triggered my name change and they include:

1. My step-father leaving and my discovery of my real father who abandoned me at birth.

2. My mother forcing me to chose home or college and myself picking the latter rendering me homeless

3. Discovering my name had already been changed twice by my mother as a child

4. Feeling my old name (Josh Hewitt) was to normal*

However my major reason was this:

5. I wanted to experience something completely new and life changing, no matter what the cost.

It turns out the decision completely 'de-sutured' me from my previous life (family, socially and mentally). I have never regretted the decision and feel it has given me such a great experience.

When talking about names I wanted to chose something I wouldn't regret but also something that has, I suppose, an IEE style to it (though I would have said a 7w6 style) and something that could also be taken seriously for my future.

I considered Linus, Tristan, Vincent, Truman, Kirby, Icarus, Orion and Acer.

Now they have just become the current ideas for children names.

Feel free to ask anything about my name/past.

heath, my lack of socionics knowledge stops me from understanding those could you elaborate. I assure everyone I am going to try and pick this up.

Yeah, Ez is a great guy. We're pretty different but we have the same interests. We just always got on.

- Awesome stuff. Close minds are bad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    ahahahahaha, type "mr. saturn earthbound" in google images (with safesearch turned off) and see what the first result is
    I didn't know you were so kinky
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    ahahahahaha, type "mr. saturn earthbound" in google images (with safesearch turned off) and see what the first result is
    I actually shuddered at that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE ??

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    EIE ??
    yeah. as i told ezra previously in an IM conversation, my guess was leaning more towards beta NF, actually. i'm not yet ready to throw out IEE, though. i still haven't watched his video.
    Last edited by implied; 05-14-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Doesn't look like you're getting much coverage here, Leon. Which is a shame. This forum was once so active. Take my intro thread for example. It's now the longest thread on the board.
    Were you just looking for an excuse to say that?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Were you just looking for an excuse to say that?
    Hahaha, no, I genuinely wanted him to get more coverage, and I was genuinely saddened by the fact that I was the most interesting thing on the board (because I've got the most coverage so far).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    (Heath wants to be a hipster too...)
    i was a hipster in my last 3 years of high school and my first 2 years out of high school.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saturn View Post

- Awesome stuff. Close minds are bad.
    a simple and common response. i have inserted a large idea of what i think being a hipster constitutes. Basically it involves spending a lot of time making purchases in order to emphasize one's lifestyle or taste. this is consumerism at its absolute worst. however, i am just being closeminded, sorry! I didn't think about things or consider anything. it was all like, "not uh, not that, not this time big buddy."
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    a simple and common response. i have inserted a large idea of what i think being a hipster constitutes. Basically it involves spending a lot of time making purchases in order to emphasize one's lifestyle or taste. this is consumerism at its absolute worst. however, i am just being closeminded, sorry! I didn't think about things or consider anything. it was all like, "not uh, not that, not this time big buddy."
    Sorry, I didn't really understand what you meant there.

I didn't mean to offend you, I just don't personally understand fashion I suppose.