0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beta Quadra: recommended TV shows

As above

I like:

NCIS - Abby is adorable and Dinozzo makes me laugh

The Closer

Friday Night Lights - I love love the characters especially Tim Riggins...rawr! That stare is so sexy.

Veronica Mars (when it was on)

Summer Heights High - I cried for Jonah. And I laughed at his jokes (yes they were poor taste). I loved the relationship he had with one of the teachers who understood that all he needed was some love. The other two characters were funny but seemed too egotistical for me to care about in the same way.

And I just got the first season of Mad Men on DVD so I'm gonna check that out. So do you have any recommendations?
    I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am.

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I watch:

Lost (love the going backward and forward in time stuff and piecing together the puzzles. I love guessing what's going to happen and I'm often right!)

Pushing Daisies (which I think is more of an alpha show but I adore it! it's so innocent and sweet--feels very SEI to me)

Boston Legal (at times boring but at times hilarious. a couple seasons ago it had me rolling on the floor laughing. hasn't been so good recently)

Grey's Anatomy (eh, not as good as it used to be. Derek reminds me of my husband tho and Meredith reminds me of me, personality-wise, so I find it interesting even tho Meredith drives me crazy with her self-involvement at times and there's such a low level of morality but whatever)

Heroes. Again, I enjoy the forward and backward in time thing and all the different characters.

and I admit that I also watch Private Practice, which is just so-so.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter - the serial killer with a double life who does 'good'.

Crash - essentially a show about the random vicissitudes of things (Hopper is a genius).

CSI: Miami - Solid group of characters and thoughtful plots.

Criminal Minds - love that dark, psychological stuff
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I thought about watching Crash sometime.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    The Hills, Project Runway, Documentaries... I don't watch a lot of TV. I like a lot of the shows on TLC though; right now I like John and Kate plus 8.
    My favorite show of all time. Seriously. I just now learned it's on dvd which i will be picking up asap. I've always been curious on typing John and Kate--I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I want that little kid with the glasses.

//oh hey sorry, I'm not beta...

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, I wanted to start a thread multiple times on their types but like you said, I wasn't sure if anyone else watched the show. I absolutely love Kate (erm, that sounds odd..?). She is extremely hard for me to type. All that seems obvious is E. I agree with IP for John...I just love watching their interaction, it's very amusing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave up TV and I'm never going back.

Breaking that addiction has been one of the smartest moves I made.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-Betas are fine to reply. Feel free to talk about John & Kate plus 8. I don't mind.

I was wondering if there was some correlation between what we watch and our quadra. My brother and SIL who I think are Delta love House for example. I have not watched it in a long time.

Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, Dexter - loved those shows but then I couldn't keep up with them due to time constraints so er now I'm lost *cue eyeroll*

If you like dark comedies, I enjoyed what I saw of Breaking Bad. But then the dad from Malcolm In The Middle is such a great actor.

Oh and I really recommend Wire In The Blood if you enjoy crime shows. It's a UK drama. Awesome stuff.

And I think giving up TV is a good thing but as long as Tim Riggins and my other assortment of TV boyfriends are bringing the sexy I will have a TV, a dvd player and a computer. Hell yes.
    I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watch Jon & Kate Plus 8 also. Jon is def. Ip. Funny cause my ESE husband relates to her and I relate to him. She might be ESE? He could be SEI. or SLI. He seems pretty handy. It's hard to separate the needs that they have due to having so many young children and their natural personalities. Great show tho. such cute kids. having twins myself, I know only a small fraction of what they're going through and I just cannot imagine.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    YAY!!!

I'm not alone!!!!

*hug*
    Most people starting some kind of personal development... sooner or later.... give up television.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very rarely watch TV, but when I do, there are a few shows already mentioned in this thread that I tend to watch, plus a few others. NCIS was so good in the first seasons, I think I'm becoming bored with the format now though. Abby, agreed, gorgeous, funny.

What type is Denozzo? I love his smart alec streak.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gossip girl, one tree hill, scrubs, and its not on tv but I love Mars and Meteor Garden.
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    I don't watch TV. Especially not sports.
    Sports are ok here and there -- like something to have on in the background.

...I hate sports.
    I don't

...I hate sports commentators even more. Professional sport is evil. They could go to hell easily...of course if they want to.
    I only hate female sports commentators. The day I saw a female analyst on ESPN was a very sad day, indeed.

Why are professional sports evil? Don't you enjoy seeing that caliber of physical talent in action?

Why should they go to hell?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Sports are ok here and there -- like something to have on in the background.

I don't

I only hate female sports commentators. The day I saw a female analyst on ESPN was a very sad day, indeed.
    football (aka soccer) female commentators that have british accents are almost all hot, i don't know how or why
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey's Anatomy (... is Izzie crazy? I heard she would be getting a brain tumor this season and written off the show)

The Office (... will Jim and Pam make it? will Michael reunite w/Holly?)

Arrested Development (Gob is my favorite character ever)

30 Rock (crush on tina fey)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (those people are crazy)
    ~joseph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    I very rarely watch TV, but when I do, there are a few shows already mentioned in this thread that I tend to watch, plus a few others. NCIS was so good in the first seasons, I think I'm becoming bored with the format now though. Abby, agreed, gorgeous, funny.

What type is Denozzo? I love his smart alec streak.
    I think this season is a lot better but that was because of the whole Agent Lee drama. I don't know what the rest of the season will bring.

Hmmm...Denozzo to be honest I'm not sure. I don't know enough about Socionics to say but I'm here to learn.

onetreehillluver - Have you seen the Taiwanese TV drama based on Mars? I think you're talking about the manga.

Anyway, I realised why I like The Closer so much. It's because Brenda gets things done in the face of opposition. Something I have no skills with.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watch episodes of House M.D. online borderline religiously; it's sort of a bed time ritual. Currently I'm on my second circuit through the whole series.

When I actually watch TV, it's usually the History Channel, Discovery, maybe a hockey game, sometimes The Daily Show/Colbert Report...I try to avoid TV because it makes me feel lazy. I prefer a video game or the forum, where I can actually interact with someone/something and expend mental energy.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah my kids like the History channel, Discover or the Animal channel (which actually has some fairly weird stuff on it).
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Animal Planet has something cool once in a while. Like recently they have been playing these things about people who want to be animals, animals born with multiple heads/cool deformities (there was a CYCLOPS PIG, oh god it was SO FUCKING WEIRD hahaha), strange animal occurrences (like this snake ate an alligator whole and then exploded...it was pretty cool ), and some other cool shit.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yeah like if my husband is home and they're watching one of those weird ones, he'll be like what the hell is that they're watching?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EIE Ni
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enigmadream View Post
    I think this season is a lot better but that was because of the whole Agent Lee drama. I don't know what the rest of the season will bring.

Hmmm...Denozzo to be honest I'm not sure. I don't know enough about Socionics to say but I'm here to learn.

onetreehillluver - Have you seen the Taiwanese TV drama based on Mars? I think you're talking about the manga.

Anyway, I realised why I like The Closer so much. It's because Brenda gets things done in the face of opposition. Something I have no skills with.
    No I'm talking about the Taiwanese drama <3
    ENFj Ni subtype 3w4
    "And once you lose your way you have two choices. Find the person you used to be or lose that person completely"
    formerly onetreehilluver

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betaish Movies that i've Recently Seen/Previews For

Wanted
    The Spirit
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle... comically Beta.
    lol. the second one was funnier imo. not much beats escaping a sexually abusive guard at guantanamo and hitting a blunt with george bush.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend Crash to the betas (anyone really, but it does seem a bit more beta). Dennis Hopper is hilariously brilliant as a zany, ex-drug addict music producer who rides the tumultuous currents of his scattered fantasies and obsessions, while incessantly fighting on for his 'vision' of the future (an Ni-ENFj playing a loony Ni-ENFj). It's written by the same people who did the movie, only it's more gritty and less dramatic (tragic). But the plot is very clever, and the characters' lives intertwine in unexpected ways. Few shows these days can pique my interest, but this one definitely has.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TV is boring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite shows in the past few years are Rome, True Blood, and Californication.

Further back from that, I like some typically nerdy stuff like Trek, X-Files, and anime. Mostly for the humor.. Even ST is funny (especially DS9). I don't like sci-fi that's militaristic like BSG.

I also like Law and Order... never seems to get old.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes you will just end up watching animal planet, like it's just on and then you start watching casually but then you keep watching and you dont stop til the shows over. and every minute you're thinking to yourself .. ok after this one weird bit about animals im gona walk away from this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I do that plenty. Especially at other people's houses, where they watch things I don't think about. Then in the middle of it, I'm all into the show like it's the greatest thing. "Bear Grylls is awesome!"

Eh, but then when I'm back home, I don't watch it again.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my favourite TV shows from Facebook:

The Armando Iannucci Shows
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Generation Kill
    I'm Alan Partridge
    The Office
    The Sopranos
    The Thick Of It
    Twin Peaks
    The West Wing
    The Wire

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post

Isn't that kind of a sexist statement to be making? Seriously what's wrong with female commentators?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    Isn't that kind of a sexist statement to be making? Seriously what's wrong with female commentators?
    I guess he believes men have some sort of intuitive feel for sport. Well that's bullshit. My ex was a passionate Man Utd fan and she owned me on any sports talk. It's all about your upbringing and passion. If you have the right kind of these things, you can go on about your subject and be the perfect commentator.

However, if you can't, then maybe that's what he's on about. Female commentators on there for the way they look, or something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the wire was an excellent show encompassing all quadra with a good representative of beta. Man, the wire ruled. I think dexter is really cheesy, a few beta friends of mine really like it, but i think the melodrama is kind of retarded, but i've seen maybe 2 episodes total.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    the wire was an excellent show encompassing all quadra with a good representative of beta. Man, the wire ruled. I think dexter is really cheesy, a few beta friends of mine really like it, but i think the melodrama is kind of retarded, but i've seen maybe 2 episodes total.
    Definitely, it is absolutely brilliant, possibly as good as the Sopranos. I haven't seen Dexter but my EIE friend loves it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've never seen the wire, but i've heard nothing but good things about it. that one actor (dominic west) from there rocks. i liked him in the punisher movie... ridiculously over the top, but great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember watching LOST, then they used to show it three times a weak here, it was a fucking blast! We used to watch it with me two sisters. Then dr.House, but it got boring after a while, plus I used to skip many series... Then, local humour show, called "Bycicle Nuwz", lolz... Good stuff, once in awhile I burst a fucking huge laugh asking "Can you say that about politician on tv???". lolz, yeah they ussually make fun of politician, or those in the spotlight. Next, is "Next"... lol, it's pretty funny, how ppl tends to make fun of themselfes in front of the whole country... Yepy, idiots... Anyways... Some movies, once in a while... The Simpsons!!! Of course, the silly Simpsons family makes me laugh hard... uh, let's see, CSI is rubbish, ... The Shield and Oz... Two great great series... Nothing to add, these two are outstanding series... I like the "storyteller" in Oz, and sorta philosophy you get in every episode... That's nice ... The sex and the city, total rubbish... Desperate Housewifes... Even thought I have had dreams, bout having some strange intercourse with latina hottie, and that other one, the stupid one, this show is a bit over shitty... It's good once in a while, but it is disturbing a lil bit... I remember vomitting over the ugliness of those ladies... All those affairs and shit... Of course I got used to that, yah yah... Oki dok... I loved all those interesting shows on discovery channel, but they were so rare, that, uh, fuck discovery channel... And since it's not possible to watch air-cable without paying money anymore, we don't have discovery, and travel, and mtv, and bla-bla... Only 4 or 5 channels are left at our house... Eh, that's it folks. There aren't much left on TV anyway, and I gotta go and have fucking piss-blast in WC bye-bye
    Last edited by Linas; 05-03-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

game of thrones has lots of beta characters even if they're mostly evil, but its the only show i watch and i recommend it to everyone so...

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tudors.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    The Tudors.
    IE: Porn.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shameless (American version) and Misfits (UK). Not sure if they're Beta, but they're awesome.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South Park
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast