Thread: Music genre and socion

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default .

Last edited by kimuchuu; 10-17-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Music taste IMO mostly has to do with cultural upbringing but I do think each type shares its own taste. Extroverts tend to listen more mainstream music, Introverts tend to listen to more nuanced and offbeat music. Se/Ni types tend to like more "aggressive" types of music like metal, rock, rap while Si/Ne usually prefer more chill/calm types of music. Fe/Ti music tends to be more dynamic while Te/Fi is usually more monotone. Some standouts IMO:

Alpha SF: Holiday music, dance, pop, nature
    Alpha NT: Orchestral, TV/Movie/Game Soundtracks

Beta ST: Rock, 70s/80s Music

Gamma Irrational: Death metal, gangsta rap

Delta Rational: christian pop, country

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    Music taste IMO mostly has to do with cultural upbringing but I do think each type shares its own taste. Extroverts tend to listen more mainstream music, Introverts tend to listen to more nuanced and offbeat music. Se/Ni types tend to like more "aggressive" types of music like metal, rock, rap while Si/Ne usually prefer more chill/calm types of music. Fe/Ti music tends to be more dynamic while Te/Fi is usually more monotone. Some standouts IMO:

Though I don't think there's much correlation with music, I have observed the Alpha ones to be true.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post

Yep, that's what I listen to.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

muddy textures posts fits at least part of my taste.

I think rather than predicting people's music tastes, it's easier to match a specific genre or movement in music to a quadra.

Hardcore of the 80s seems very Beta.

Punk might've been Alpha or Beta.

Post-hardcore could be Gamma.

Modern extreme metal might be Gamma as well.

Country might be Delta

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't listen to much movie soundtracks but I like pop and orchestral music.

A handful of Betas I know like jazz.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much exclusively listen to "male" stereotyped music like gangsta rap, metal, 90s rock, etc except for my love of Aventura and some pop songs. Is this a Beta thing? Who knows, but I think common genres are common across all the quadras.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, I listen to anything. Earlier I was listening to Ke$ha. Now I'm listening to Black Flag. Major difference. I won't listen to country or Christmas music. Santa gives the bad kids lumps of country cassette tapes in their socks.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not completely sure on my type. I like music that isn't super underground, but certainly isn't mainstream either; mostly stuff on the fringe. Largely depends on my mood on what I listen to. Sometimes melodic metalcore sometimes triphop.

Some of my favs:

Mastodon
    Matisyahu
    Cage the Elephant
    Project 86
    10 years
    Smashing pumpkins
    Norma Jean
    As I Lay Dying
    Nero

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Kickelback seems very Fi related music from St perspective
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Kickelback seems very Fi related music from St perspective
    This just sounds cute. I know it is a typo.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This just sounds cute. I know it is a typo.
    Lol Nickelback
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Lol Nickelback
    LOL, saying Kickelback does sound cute. I might start calling them that. Yeah, Nickelback songs seem Fi valuing in general.

But Chad can play nice/fit in with Betas. I can't help but think Chad has some beta values. Not that he is beta.

This song is Fe and Se valuing? Sort of alternative popish rock band but makes me wanna

I wonder what type Ludacris is. I lean Gamma but not sure why.

Edit: I watched the video by "My Darkest Days" a bit closer and in a way Chad looks kind of awkward in it compared to the others.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    muddy textures posts fits at least part of my taste.

I think rather than predicting people's music tastes, it's easier to match a specific genre or movement in music to a quadra.

Hardcore of the 80s seems very Beta.

Punk might've been Alpha or Beta.

Post-hardcore could be Gamma.

Modern extreme metal might be Gamma as well.

Country might be Delta
    I like country those emotional stories and love, family, and relationships but most of it is made by gammas
    -

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What if one listens to numerous genres that cross type or quadra boundaries? Are there free listening zones?
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticurus View Post
    What if one listens to numerous genres that cross type or quadra boundaries? Are there free listening zones?
    I listen to just about everything. I am a rebel boundary crosser. I will invade your quadra or drag you into mine.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I used a couple of lastfm analyzers. I only ran them on the last year and top artists. I listen to more than it shows.

This is for my mainstream music listening habits. Apparently I do not listen to enough mainstream to be really "cool".

Aylen is not my username. Only display. Can anyone determine my quadra by top artists???

YWIMW

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Aylen, I see there is a clear patter from this data, however, it prolly has nothing to do with your quadra. I notice that there is a preeminent pattern that holds in your tast of mainstream music. I am seeing that it is a dynamic repeating pattern. Its starts with you being most interested in non-mainstream but progressively gets more and more mainstream until it hits a peak the then starts over. This pattern holds strictly for roughly the top half of your listening history. after that the pattern still hold loosely. Just some off topic analysis.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I listen to just about everything. I am a rebel boundary crosser. I will invade your quadra or drag you into mine.
    Spoils of War
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

What I like, by general music vibes (mostly along the lines of electronic, with plenty of exceptions)

1. Coldness, Isolation, Dispassionate Melancholy, Nostalgia, etc.
    Basically consists of either a) drawn out depressive ambient metal or b) Boards of Canada and the like. I associate this with Introversion and depression.
    2. Feel Good, Capitalist Utopia, IDGAF YOLO, America in the 80s
    Literally only Vaporwave and Future Funk. I associate this with strong Alpha values.
    3. Hypnotic, Dreamy, Spacey, Spiritual, Evolving
    Psybient, Psytrance, Psychelicyyyy stuff.
    I associate this with Introverted Perceiving for some reason... Dynamic rather than Static too?
    4. Fast-paced beats, constantly changing and unpredictable (the first theme based off uh musical technicalities rather than mood, since I'm not sure what mood this gives me besides "this is a nice song lol"
    Richard D. James, Amon Tobin, Goldie. I associate this with Extraverted Perceiving.
    5. A mixture of 2 and 4 minus Capitalism and the focus on the 90s in UK rather than general 80s America
    Drum and Bass. I associate this with... let's go with Alpha.
    6. Slow tempo, Stoney, Hypnotic
    Obviously Stoner and Doom metal. I associate this with Introversion and mental retardation.
    7. The rock stuff
    idk choose what you want it's a nice genre plenty to choose from. I associate this with all types who listen to music probably.

What I don't like is music pertaining to real life matters.... I'm more of a mood dependent person than a "wow this relate to me" person