Thread: A Problem with Typing Yourself

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Problem with Typing Yourself

I think I've found a problem that some people may stumble over when typing themselves. Socionics is about information metabolism and intertype relationships; the type of information you like to produce and receive. Therefore, if you spend all of your time thinking in a certain way, but don't wish to share those thoughts with others, then this thinking means nothing in terms of the socion, because it doesn't affect your relationships. (For example, if I'm interested in a girl, I might spend a lot of time thinking about my feelings for her. However, I might not want to share these feelings with anyone. I don't think that this would make me an ethical type.) Further, if the complement of this type of thinking is not what you enjoy receiving, then it means even less, because it is also a theory about the type of information you enjoy receiving from others in your relationships. Therefore, if you want to type yourself based on the intended goals of socionics - to determine how you relate with others - then you will look at the information that you like to produce and receive, not simply what is often on your mind. However, it is possible that you have some other goal in mind. In that case, you are, of course, free to type yourself based on any criteria that you want (but don't try to apply your self-typing to your relationships).

Jason

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bear in mind that intertype relations are an epiphenomenon of information metabolism types.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a sense. However, most people do not spend their time using their weak functions. Thoughts that come up, but that you generally would not say, I think are linked to the Id. In your example, I think an LII would use a combination of and to see what might happen with the relationship, what might intervene, what if she does not feel the same way, etc, etc.

I would also add that, in your example, thinking about a girl is exactly what I would expect from an LII
    Surtout, pas trop de zčle.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZTCrawcrustle View Post
    thinking about a girl is exactly what I would expect from an LII
    Why did you put the word thinking in italics. Does thinking about a girl induces growth of hair on LIIs hands? And does it make them blind?

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, most people do not spend their time using their weak functions.
    I don;t think this is correct, as people are comfortable using their super-id functions, only probably not very well. They do, however, not spend their time using their unvalued functions (super-ego and id).
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Why did you put the word thinking in italics. Does thinking about a girl induces growth of hair on LIIs hands? And does it make them blind?
    pwnt!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that socionics has shown me that I will be best in a relationship with an IEI. And I'll introduce her to socionics as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I don;t think this is correct, as people are comfortable using their super-id functions, only probably not very well. They do, however, not spend their time using their unvalued functions (super-ego and id).
    People like to use their super-id functions. They are not comfortable using them, at least in the presense of others or of those who they do not trust. I think people spend quite a lot of time using Id functions.
    Surtout, pas trop de zčle.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People like to use their super-id functions. They are not comfortable using them, at least in the presense of others or of those who they do not trust. I think people spend quite a lot of time using Id functions.
    Thus there is the greatest danger of self-typing yourself as your quasi-identity, which is probably the worst thing to mistype yourself as (if you choose your relationships based on Socionics). That would be why I typed myself as INTj-Ni shortly after I arrived on this forum, and kept that type in my signature for some time.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari