Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alarmist INTjs, giving warnings, talking about dangers

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alarmist INTjs, giving warnings, talking about dangers

what is up with the alarmist LIIs that I know? They're always talking about warnings, dangers, look-outs, be carefuls, they even post articles on facebook about bad things that have happened and you-should-beware type news. Is this just like Ne gone bad or what? Fear-mongers!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know FDR once said the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Therefore we have to fear our own internal reactions henceforth we have literally to fear ourselves...

That's really not that heartening to me. I mean I'm a scary bitch and there are a lot of things less scary than me that are still quite scary... *shivers with fright* Hold me.
    Easy Day

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    what is up with the alarmist LIIs that I know? They're always talking about warnings, dangers, look-outs, be carefuls, they even post articles on facebook about bad things that have happened and you-should-beware type news. Is this just like Ne gone bad or what? Fear-mongers!
    This would be better associated with ILI, LSI, LSE, Ti types...or Ti users.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Ti users.
    Like Ti is a drug.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Like Ti is a drug.
    I don't know why it is? I am Fi and I don't say Be careful nearly as much as my brother in law who is ISTj; or my friends who are ESTj. This comes from being very trusting of the good in the person. Maybe they reason that people are not all good?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    You know FDR once said the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. Therefore we have to fear our own internal reactions henceforth we have literally to fear ourselves...

That's really not that heartening to me. I mean I'm a scary bitch and there are a lot of things less scary than me that are still quite scary... *shivers with fright* Hold me.
    maybe.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always contemplating how things can go awry. However warnings are reserved only for those with whom I can speak. For those whose familiar influence overpowers my introversion.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    I'm always contemplating how things can go awry. However warnings are reserved only for those with whom I can speak. For those whose familiar influence overpowers my introversion.
    right. I believe it!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that -- "those whose familiar influence overpowers my introversion."

I'm the same way. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to be prepared for something that never happens, than unprepared for something that does.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I'm the same way.
    ssshhhh ...you shouldn't have said that. Now labcoat might consider isfp for you.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ssshhhh ...you shouldn't have said that. Now labcoat might consider isfp for you.
    Oh noes!

He'll have to duke it out with Pinocchio, who thinks I'm ILI.

[Edit: Seriously though, this seems like a case of Demonstrative Ni. We use it a lot in private, but assume that most people would find it pretty boring (since we do), and don't tend to talk about it much in public.]
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I'm concerned, it's better to be prepared for something that never happens, than unprepared for something that does.
    no. you can waste your whole life preparing for the "what ifs" in life. instead, just trust in your ability to deal with whatever happens.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my ESFj mom has the same problem, and i've used that line on her. it doesn't do anything, though. still paranoid about so many things that will probably never materialize..

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    my ESFj mom has the same problem, and i've used that line on her. it doesn't do anything, though. still paranoid about so many things that will probably never materialize..
    Which is exactly why ESEs need LIIs -- when they start worrying about life's "what ifs", the LII can be like "Yeah, I already thought about that, and here's my plan for if it happens."
    Quaero Veritas.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep reading this as "LIIs and warpipes"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    that's depressing.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the same way. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to be prepared for something that never happens, than unprepared for something that does.
    That's completely neglecting the cost of being prepared.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewZ View Post
    It's refreshing to see a cost/benefit analysis when each side is pointing out that the other can be disastrous...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would an LII not do a cost/benefit analysis before spending any significant amount of money? I was just assuming that as a given. As much as it would be cool to have a bomb shelter under my house to be prepared for the rather unlikely event of a nuclear war, the costs are too high to be worth it. On the other hand, reading about how to survive a nuclear attack is not only free, but has the added benefit of being interesting.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would an LII not do a cost/benefit analysis before spending any significant amount of money? I was just assuming that as a given. As much as it would be cool to have a bomb shelter under my house to be prepared for the rather unlikely event of a nuclear war, the costs are too high to be worth it. On the other hand, reading about how to survive a nuclear attack is not only free, but has the added benefit of being interesting.
    The question is are you using free knowledge to feed paranoia or for an actually beneficial purpose.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is are you using free knowledge to feed paranoia or for an actually beneficial purpose.
    Technically paranoia is a delusional mental disorder, but I assume what you mean is something like "unreasonable fear". There is no fear involved; it's an interesting mental exercise. Rather like those depicted in the following cartoons: xkcd: Velociraptors xkcd: Post Office Showdown

On a more practical level, I also plan out important conversations before I have them, taking into account all possible ways the conversation could go. I find if I don't do this, I stumble about and can't figure out how to say what I want to say.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Deltas are worse!

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically paranoia is a delusional mental disorder, but I assume what you mean is something like "unreasonable fear". There is no fear involved; it's an interesting mental exercise. Rather like those depicted in the following cartoons: xkcd: Velociraptors xkcd: Post Office Showdown

On a more practical level, I also plan out important conversations before I have them, taking into account all possible ways the conversation could go. I find if I don't do this, I stumble about and can't figure out how to say what I want to say.
    I can't say I'm innocent of anything you've described here.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will thank me in the future for that.
    Hillary-ous

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VixenDogFox View Post
    What's being neglected is the recognition of how psychologically satisfying it is to plan for things. Like having a couple extra toothbrushes in the drawer, just in case someone stays over, or buying a type of jam you don't love because you know most people do, just in case someone is eating breakfast with you...
    It feels GREAT!
    Yes Mom, I'll carry an extra pencil around, keep bandaids in my lunch box, and keep a comb in my backpack just in case. Could I go now? I'm going to miss the bus.

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's being neglected is the recognition of how psychologically satisfying it is to plan for things. Like having a couple extra toothbrushes in the drawer, just in case someone stays over, or buying a type of jam you don't love because you know most people do, just in case someone is eating breakfast with you...
    It feels GREAT!
    Yes, exactly! I know it's unlikely that I'll ever have to deal with a home invasion, but I like knowing that I have two hammers and a hatchet stashed around the house, just in case...

Hmm. Judging by the different focus of our examples, I theorize that we may in fact be different genders...

Yes Mom, I'll carry an extra pencil around, keep bandaids in my lunch box, and keep a comb in my backpack just in case. Could I go now? I'm going to miss the bus.
    Hah, I actually do those things. Only the comb is in my back pocket, and the bandaids are in my jacket pocket.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I'm very naive. I once stuck my foot under the wheel of a car just to see what it would feel like to get my foot run over by a car. It hurt. Even though I was drunk it still hurt a lot. There was also this one car full of idiot teenagers driving around this movie theater parking lot. They were spraying people with something and I couldn't quite figure it out, so I was standing there just trying to figure it out as they were driving straight at me. Eventually they swerved around me and I found out it was some idiot in the back squirting mustard at people. The guy must've been 2 feet from me when he flung a stream of mustard at me. I caught some in the neck and shoulder, but it wasn't too bad. I walk through bad neighborhoods and everything, I never really feel scared, maybe I just don't sense danger. I foresee myself getting into some kind of crazy Tienanmen Square situation with me staring death in the face. It'll be glorious.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup... the intent is the same though. My boyfriend also has hammers, a machete, an air rifle, and yes, a sword. Oh lord...
    Hahahaha, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    I walk through bad neighborhoods and everything, I never really feel scared, maybe I just don't sense danger. I foresee myself getting into some kind of crazy Tienanmen Square situation with me staring death in the face. It'll be glorious.
    I'm like this as well. I don't know if it's awesome that I have no fear in those situations, or if it's some sort of serious defect that will one day get me killed.

Not that I'm entirely without fear, mind you. I find making unsolicited social phone calls to be terrifying. I have to trust a person very, very much before I feel comfortable doing that.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hahahaha, awesome!

I'm like this as well. I don't know if it's awesome that I have no fear in those situations, or if it's some sort of serious defect that will one day get me killed.

Not that I'm entirely without fear, mind you. I find making unsolicited social phone calls to be terrifying. I have to trust a person very, very much before I feel comfortable doing that.
    I used to be very much this way. I remember in my college days, going out for walks alone at 2:00 in the morning just because I felt like doing so. One time a cop stopped by to see if I was alright and if I'd like a ride home. He gave me the lecture about how a young woman like me shouldn't be out walking alone late at night. The statement sounded sexist at the time but I think its true that women have to worry more then men (about getting raped and stuff).

I'm more sensible now but I'm still naive to some degree. I'm probably not as fearful as I should be in driving in unfamiliar neighborhoods at night.

And I share your discomfort in making unsolicitied phone calls.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phone calls? hahaha
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

The robot from lost in space is LII?

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    I was using to be "prepared" with different things, weapons and stuff, but this faded with time. I think people of the same type can be opposite about this, for example I know IEE who is not concerned about any potential danger, it's like these dangers don't exist or matter, or someone who wants to build his personal bunker.

I'm currently careful with my data, for example, I use encrypted and password-protected stuff, a pretty secure OS and things like that. I'm not necessarily afraid about personal information getting loose, but if and when that happens, I prefer to know about it, to have a clear idea of what and when happened, to avoid spending time speculating in case I want to solve a mystery.

There are privacy things which concern me, but not as real "privacy" but things people do and big companies profit from, for example like the information Chrome leaks about user activities to "improve" their experience. But imo, the more Google knows about me - eg I use to stay logged-in while browsing youtube & stuff - them harder it becomes to find relevant and interesting information. Their assumption that "they know" what I need and "help" about it seems rather a brainwashing attempt, sticking their "popular" information down my throat.
    interesting... any idea where this arose from?

The idea of coding things and security, that is.

To me I'm not very alarmist about things, but I do tend to obsessively plan things out, sometimes overly intricately, I just get a tremendous feeling when I can strategically set up a bunch of peices and knock them over like dominoes.

I think thats the reason I find aerospace engineer so fascinating, I really don't care about space and all that fluff, I never cried with pride for humanity when they arrived on the moon or whatever and as a kid dreamed to go into space. At first it was because I liked aviation and have a pilot's certificate. After a while I began liking orbital mechanics and the idea of launching something from earth and strategically planning how it was going to end up landing to another world; from its takeoff and orbital maneovers to its transition and landing into the atmosphere.

When I'd smoke weed, I used to get paranoid, and I'd have all these procedures and excuses planned up if anyone were to try and search for it. I'd rehearse it so much so that it felt natural by the time I'd have to lie. I'd even develop slang for it, so that if people heard me talking about it, it would sound like everyday conversation but we would be talking about things. Of course it never caught hold with my friends after doing it for a while.

But I am an obsessive planner..... not a coder.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fear is not related to socionics because socionics isn't based in emotions.

Fear is related to enneagram, which is based on a stress-fixation-emotions.

Type 5 and 6 can often come across as alarmist.

LII are often 5's and sometimes 6's.
    The end is nigh

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    Fear is not related to socionics because socionics isn't based in emotions.

Fear is related to enneagram, which is based on a stress-fixation-emotions.

Type 5 and 6 can often come across as alarmist.

LII are often 5's and sometimes 6's.
    Also paradoxically the power-seeking types seem to be the most fearful and the most likely to be fearless... cause there enneagram types are all built around the emotions of fear and how to manage it.

5's are fearful at not knowing and being incompetent because of that
    8's are fearful at being weak and not tough enough to deal with life and people
    2's are fearful at being too alone and detached from people emotionally

At the best (mastering their fear)
    5's are competent and knowledgable
    8's are tough and confident
    2's are emotionally aware and connected

At worse (giving into their fears)
    5's are paranoid and schizo
    8's are sociopathic and overly controlling
    2's are attached and clingy

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless I actually have some sort of schizophrenia, they are not bullshitting when they say 5's become schizo. It's horrible.
    The end is nigh

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    Unless I actually have some sort of schizophrenia, they are not bullshitting when they say 5's become schizo. It's horrible.
    ??

lol what do you mean, I don't understand this

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    At worse (giving into their fears)
    5's are paranoid and schizo
    8's are sociopathic and overly controlling
    2's are attached and clingy
    I experience what I believe to be schizophrenic episodes when I'm stressed.

This is from my 5 fixation unless I'm actually mildly (if that is even possible) schizophrenic.

In other words, I am tempted to exclaim the surprising accuracy of the enneagram, but on the other hand, maybe I'm just a nut.
    The end is nigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast