Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISTp-ENFp duality and implicit perception of emotional needs

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTp-ENFp duality and implicit perception of emotional needs

As I have explained in a thread started by Dioclecian, I hypothesize that the attractiveness in an SLI for an IEE is that the SLI does not project/force unspoken expectations on the IEE (that other types might do anyway, even against the subconscious will of the IEE), which allows the IEE to act fully from intrinsic motivation.

I would like to extend this hypothesis: The attractiveness in an IEE for the SLI is that the SLI does not have to speak out their emotional needs and wants, because the IEE will perceive them anyway and try to fulfill those needs.

I realize that both aspects are somewhat IEE-centric, and that more SLI-centric (Si/Te) aspects can also be added to clarify the nature of IEE-SLI duality.

Does this make sense?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do get kind of anxious when people have expectations of me. I hate obligations. If I'm going to do something, I want to do it for my own reasons and not because someone else thinks I should or have to.

And true enough, my husband doesn't have a lot of expectations of me. He wants to be fed every day but he has no particular expectations about how that should happen.

I don't think that's *all* the attractiveness or even necessarily most of it, but it is true that I like that. Or at least not being like that that repels me.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    He wants to be fed every day but he has no particular expectations about how that should happen.
    Wouldn't that be a thing that an SLI is perfectly capable of doing himself? I would have expected HIM to take care of dinner

I don't think that's *all* the attractiveness or even necessarily most of it, but it is true that I like that. Or at least not being like that that repels me.
    Perhaps 'attractiveness' is not the right word, maybe I should have used 'appeal' instead, and then in a more subconscious meaning of the word as well. BTW, I assume here that you are talking about type-related aspects of the attraction/appeal, because of course they must be things in your husband that you like but aren't type related.

Feel free to elaborate what it is in SLIs that works for you. What I'm actually looking for, is an understanding of IEE-SLI duality, and only those aspects that are type related.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever seen the Neil Simon play "Plaza Suite"? In the third part of that, there's this bride freaking out worried about getting married who locks herself in the bathroom. And her parents are freaking out about her being locked in the bathroom while the guests are arriving. This goes on for ages, with her parents getting more and more upset and getting nowhere with her. So finally, the groom comes up, and they begrudgingly tell him what the problem is - that she's anxious and crying, and she's locked herself in the bathroom and won't come out. He shows no emotion, walks over to the bathroom door, pounds on it and says "cool it". And that's all she needed - she comes out of the bathroom ready to get married. The anxiety of her parents wasn't helping her anxiety. She needed someone without all that extra emotion to relax her.

That is the best thing about ISTps.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever seen the Neil Simon play "Plaza Suite"? In the third part of that, there's this bride freaking out worried about getting married who locks herself in the bathroom. And her parents are freaking out about her being locked in the bathroom while the guests are arriving. This goes on for ages, with her parents getting more and more upset and getting nowhere with her. So finally, the groom comes up, and they begrudgingly tell him what the problem is - that she's anxious and crying, and she's locked herself in the bathroom and won't come out. He shows no emotion, walks over to the bathroom door, pounds on it and says "cool it". And that's all she needed - she comes out of the bathroom ready to get married. The anxiety of her parents wasn't helping her anxiety. She needed someone without all that extra emotion to relax her.

No never heard of that movie, but it sounds like fun. IMDB says it's a TV show, is that right? Let's see if I can get a copy of it.

The more I think of it, the more I doubt I've ever run into an ISTp. I had a date last year with a woman that didn't say very much and actually gave me the feeling she wasn't interested at all, not in the positive sense, but also in the negative sense, her attitude seemed completely neutral to me. So at the end of the date, I wanted to shake her hand and say goodbye, and she suddenly smiled joyfully as if she liked me and had enjoyed the date and wanted to give me a friendly goodbye kiss (the way we Dutch typically do: 3 kisses on the cheeks). I was flabbergasted at the contrast in behavior. Does this sound ISTp to you?
    Last edited by consentingadult; 02-10-2008 at 03:00 PM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, when my husband and I started going out, after the first few dates I honestly thought he didn't like me. He just didn't show much response to me at all. I was mystified. He still mystifies me sometimes - I'll think he's angry or upset or something and I'll ask him what's wrong and he'll say, "Nothing's wrong. Why would you think that?" But I don't know about the joyful thing at the end. Sometimes he will suddenly surprise me and show a lot of emotion but that isn't a really common thing, and it particularly wasn't when we had just started dating.

So she could be ISTp but it's hard to say from so little information.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was kind of a strange date anyway: I'm webmaster of a social-networking community, one were not much is going on anymore, and one day she sends me a message asking about the inactivity on the forum. But she didn't start the message with that, instead, she asked me out of the blue if I had seen 'Das Leben der Anderen'. So I thought, why would anyone start a message to a stranger with an opening like that? Anyway, I felt she was fishing, so I asked her if she wanted to go together. Somehow I feel like I completely misunderstood her emotional inhibition and fucked up the date

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the "I thought you weren't inrested in me in the beggining" must be a type thing because I've gotten that myself as well. Um, I haven't met many IEE's but one big appeal is the breath of fresh air they can bring to the most mundane (to me) things.
    Last edited by xyz; 02-10-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I guess the "I thought you weren't inrested in me in the beggining" must be a type thing because I've gotten that myself as well. Um, I haven't met many IEE's but one big appeal is the breathe of fresh air they can bring to the most mundane (to me) things.
    This is very well put.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I was grinning like an idiot, going "awwwwwwww" for like a whole minute after I read this. :wink:
    The emotions are within

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 07:08 PM.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is perfect on so many levels.

Could you qualify this generally as an NF example? Ah, who cares!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever seen the Neil Simon play "Plaza Suite"? ... He shows no emotion, walks over to the bathroom door, pounds on it and says "cool it". ... She needed someone without all that extra emotion to relax her.

Especially when they solve a complex (to me) problem with a very terse, matter-of-fact remark.

Sometimes I wonder if that isn't part of our Ti PoLR - an inability to see "the big picture" in one go. It's like having a multi-faceted diamond, I can only see one, two, perhaps three facets at a time. Everything looks promising, then you tilt the diamond a little and see the other facets, and it all looks bleak. At the worst, it all becomes one big tangle. ISTps seem to be good at summing things up. Without telling me what to do, trying and making up my mind for me, giving me a chilly cold-blooded Fi-less opinion that makes me slowly back out of the room, or thinking I'm merely being indecisive, inconsistent or dim.

Another thing about IEE-SLI duality: does that ever happen to anyone else? -- You tell an ISTp exactly what it is they're doing, and you're blunt, and they just grin as if they're thinking: "Yup, that's what I'm like, how wonderful that finally someone's GETTING it!" So you could say "come here and give us a hug, you sociopathic perfectionist you", and they'd take it as a compliment? (Bad example, probably..)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    No never heard of that movie, but it sounds like fun. IMDB says it's a TV show, is that right? Let's see if I can get a copy of it.

other scenes
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Cyclops

Tying in with the subject of my avatar, I've always seen Han Solo (ISTp) and Princess Lea (ENFp) as a good movie example of SLI-IEE duality

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh how I wish saying "cool it" worked for all types...
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Winterpark

Thanks!

(why didn't I think of this myself, I goddamn built a B2B YouTube-clone myself!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 06:36 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*nods* Luke's the _NFP. One MB site had him INFP.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    *nods* Luke's the _NFP. One MB site had him INFP.
    Lea is far to emotionally expressive to be ESTj.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*grins* She is a fun character. *thinks* She can make the tough decisions, no? I would've agreed with the STJ. She doesn't feel like an N to me.

Edit: Wish I knew what my best friend was. Definite I and P, I'd guess, but not sure whether N or S and T or F. All I know is that we fit together really well.
    Last edited by Cuddly McFluffles; 02-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Creepy-Cyclops

*grins* She is a fun character. *thinks* She can make the tough decisions, no? I would've agreed with the STJ. She doesn't feel like an N to me.

Edit: Wish I knew what my best friend was. Definite I and P, I'd guess, but not sure whether N or S and T or F. All I know is that we fit together really well.
    Do you think she's quite an idealist?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see that...fighting for a cause and all. She does seem different than her brother, though. He's more sensitive, while she's more no-nonsense and "get-out-of-my-way"-ish.

Creepy-Cyclops

I could see that...fighting for a cause and all. She does seem different than her brother, though. He's more sensitive, while she's more no-nonsense and "get-out-of-my-way"-ish.
    I think her actions and her decisions are more ethically based.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, all for the cause and whatnot. Still, she doesn't come across as ENFP to me. Aren't ENFPs crazy and fun? And don't they dislike telling people what to do?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Princes Leia didn't come across as a very multi-faceted individual to me, but rather simple and action oriented. But then again, George Lucas never did a great job of turning Joseph Campbell's 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces' into good cinema (because that's basically what he tried). It is all rather shallow, I think, with one-dimensional characters and obvious plots.

I have spoken.

Creepy-Cyclops

Yeah, all for the cause and whatnot. Still, she doesn't come across as ENFP to me. Aren't ENFPs crazy and fun? And don't they dislike telling people what to do?
    I would say that Leia may appear bossy, but under pressure she would at times back down, for instance in the early exchanges with Han Solo on the millenium falcon. This type of bossy/backing down thing could be said to be an ENFp characteritic.

Yeah..The fun and crazy ENFp's are fun and crazy But she does look a lot of fun to me (or rather she looks pretty hot in the film so maybe I think I could *have* lots of fun with her )

However, I think if you combine her primarily external idealism, coming from more an ethical viewpoint, and when you look at how her and Han Solo start off like chalk and cheese, then gradually come to realise the importance each other are to each other, (it could be viewed as a duality relation in the making) to me it does seem to point to ENFp

However, I do agree with consentingadult in the sense that character portrayal has never been one of Lucas' strong points.

So yeah.. who can really say for definite .
    Last edited by Cyclops; 02-14-2008 at 11:50 AM.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The appeal is abit hard to understand, I get the expectations thing( I believe my ex was an ISTJ, and one of the problems was her constant expectations of things)

but other then that, what? LOL.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sup Pirate?

In my experience, the appeal is this: they let you be youself--you don't have to act for them... They accept you as you are... They're not demanding at all--the opposite. They're usually very curious about things too, so there's always stuff to do or talk about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    they let you be youself--you don't have to act for them... They accept you as you are... They're not demanding at all--the opposite. They're usually very curious about things too, so there's always stuff to do or talk about.
    That does seem to describe how my IEE friend is around her duals. She comes up with zany little comments all the time and they just don't blink, and roll with whatever she says. They also don't make a big deal out of it, like call attention to it being a joke, but rather 'accept' the reality of it and play it deadpan. Umm, maybe I'm explaining this badly. I'll try to give an example.

We were both at the graduation celebration of an SLI friend of ours, and he was being all grumpy about having to deal with the 'event' of it all and his parents incessent need to take photos. My IEE friend says something like you only get two graduations (combined degrees) in your life, and when you're 80, you should be able to look back on it well.
    SLI: I don't plan to live to 80
    IEE: Don't tell me you plan to die at 36, that's such a cliche
    SLI: Nah, somewhere between 40 and 50
    IEE: But then your children will not have you around right when they go into their teens - imagine the drugs and ...drinking they will fall into
    SLI: Oh, I'll train them well early on so that won't happen

And they said all of that in a light, normal tone. Meanwhile I'm going next to them because I don't like talking about people dying? Like, I *knew* it was all a joke, but um, I have this basic belief that people are talking about things they mean all the time, so I was all

When I have those kind of exchanges with the IEE, we tend to build on what each other says, until it gets more and more dramatic and collapses under the ridiculousness of it all. But the IEE and SLI seemingly could go on indefinitely.

It happens frequently too. Another time we were at lunch with a(nother) SLI and SEI. The IEE made some comment about something someone told her about monkey brains, and the practices people engage in while eating it. I immediately chimed in about seeing monkey brains in the grocery store, and then the SLI jumped in with this elaborate explanation of a family practice of his that basically validated the seemingly outlandish original statement of the IEE. The words he was saying were clearly taking the piss, but he said it completely deadpan and very convincingly, and all three of us were presenting it as if we were having a serious discussion and all the mirth was very much kept below the surface, though easy to recognise in each other. The SEI was completely lost and had no idea what we were all on about.

I've never seen a SLI sort of cut my IEE friend off because they are uninterested in what she's saying. I mean, yeah, she is a very interesting lady. But more than that, they do always seem genuinely interested - in person. And SLIs react to her very differently to the way they react to me, and to others as far as I know. They seem...lit up and brought out of their brusque exterior with her, playful and willing to joke.

I think it's cute. Really really cute.
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idolatrie View Post
    SLI: I don't plan to live to 80
    IEE: Don't tell me you plan to die at 36, that's such a cliche
    SLI: Nah, somewhere between 40 and 50
    IEE: But then your children will not have you around right when they go into their teens - imagine the drugs and ...drinking they will fall into
    SLI: Oh, I'll train them well early on so that won't happen
    I shit you not my ISTp friend has said exactly the same thing to me. Hes told me more than once that he can see himself dying early (he can feel it). All i can say is that i think hes nuts. Unless ISTp's have some innate death sense that ive never heard of?? What is with that, like weak Ni or something lol.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    I shit you not my ISTp friend has said exactly the same thing to me. Hes told me more than once that he can see himself dying early (he can feel it). All i can say is that i think hes nuts. Unless ISTp's have some innate death sense that ive never heard of?? What is with that, like weak Ni or something lol.
    Prolly, I dunno. I'm frankly still surprised i'm alive.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha. I get the feeling i'll be around a lonnng time.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shit you not my ISTp friend has said exactly the same thing to me. Hes told me more than once that he can see himself dying early (he can feel it).
    I'll be honest, I have this same "sense" for myself. I don't really know how to explain it, and it's not that I want to die early... it's just... it's just a weird kind of hunch that I get that my life will somehow end tragically.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad is SLI and quite often when he sees me holding for example cup of chocolate and going to zap it, he stops me whith smile and nodding and does it by himself. I'm definately too much scatterbrained . It's just a simple example, but everyone else always warn me with sharp tone not to spill all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    I'll be honest, I have this same "sense" for myself. I don't really know how to explain it, and it's not that I want to die early... it's just... it's just a weird kind of hunch that I get that my life will somehow end tragically.
    I have the same feeling and this doesn't make me upset. It just exists.
    But when I cross the street thinking of death, I sometimes feel really odd .
    Last edited by Chocolate; 05-17-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI I dated thought he was going to die early too. Doesn't actually want to live to be old either because bodies kind of fall apart. He finds old people repulsive and didn't want to be one.

I love old people
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes told me more than once that he can see himself dying early (he can feel it).
    I've heard that from my SEI friend too.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow? Ok so its not type related (not like i really thought it was with any conviction). Occording to me anyway, this feeling is illogical so i ignore it. I must admit i dont relish the idea of being old but i will do so gracefully im sure. I do have a strong sense that all humans are teetering on the brink of death, it just takes one small occurance and BAM your dead. Ive just accepted that i cant really control that tho and we will see what happens. I dont really have any sense of my own death though, i just hope its later rather than sooner!

@ Chocolate haha i like your avatar and name its just very cute.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    Doesn't actually want to live to be old either because bodies kind of fall apart. He finds old people repulsive and didn't want to be one.
    I'm the same. I was a caretaker for seniors for some time and it really depressed me. The whole steady decline, reliance upon others and meaninglessness of life makes me not want to live to that age. But I don't think i'll ever get to that point. I would hate to be a burden to people. The day I have to start wearing diapers, someone has my permission to off me.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I'm the same. I was a caretaker for seniors for some time and it really depressed me. The whole steady decline, reliance upon others and meaninglessness of life makes me not want to live to that age. But I don't think i'll ever get to that point. I would hate to be a burden to people. The day I have to start wearing diapers, someone has my permission to off me.
    Ugh, I feel the same way.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast