View Poll Results: How confident are you in your ability to type people accurately?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm very confident and type people really easily when I meet them for the first time.

6 37.50%
  • I'm semi-confident and I can only type people accurately once I've known them for a long time.

6 37.50%
  • I'm not confident at all and I can't type people accurately at all.

1 6.25%
  • Other: Please specify in thread

3 18.75%

Thread: How confident are you in your ability to type people accurately?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default How confident are you in your ability to type people accurately?

I find my ability and confidence in typing people accurately is dependent on several factors. One of which is the amount of time spent with them, what kind of person they are and my own personal whims. I've noticed that as time has gone by since I've discovered Socionics my confidence in how accurately I've typed people has diminished greatly. It's not that I think my ability to type them has weakened, but more that I've realized over time how an inexact of a science (if you want to call it one) Socionics really is and how it's subject to personal biases and beliefs that can corrupt it heavily and render it completely useless as a system in determining people's personalities.

I've had numerous occasions when I realized I inaccurately typed someone based on arbitrary deductions derived from mere assumptions as opposed to objectively noticing character traits that link an individual to a specific personality type. I'm not sure if I'm being overly skeptical or merely becoming more aware of the shortcomings of Socionics. I do realize though that some individuals are more acute and aware to typing people accurately without being overly confident as a result of their extensive knowledge and experience in Socionics. So I ask you how confident are you in your ability to type people accurately?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Good question. I typed out my answer to this in another thread: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...e-your-type(s)
    Thanks, I've been away for a while and I didn't know that thread was made.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use what I know about people to paint a mental canvas that I can free with my imagination. Sometimes that canvas has patterns that frame a lot of their behavior; these patterns can be given meanings, such as a typing in order to give face to something I know about them. But I don't use the type as the canvas and I don't replace the patterns with a type (the patterns become axiomatic to the individual typing), which would be to forget who they are. The relations become contingent upon the culminating circumstances of these different clashing frames of people's personalities, frames that may become painted over at a later date and frames that will not overshadow the rest of the painting, frames allowing other aspects of the painting to allow people to feel, dream, or relate differently in terms of relations, emotions, and associations. Typing can help me remember these things and play with them by symbols or labels. But I do also realize that my paintings of people will not have to match others, something I think I appreciate because it makes people interesting to get to know, and then the question of whether what I paint can be more truthful than what someone else paints comes to mind; but I see my free will as a manifestation of its own truth in this case and one that deserves the distinction because it is free.

So how confident am I in my ability to type people accurately? I don't know, damn it. I'm not sure what you want me to say, I really don't. And I don't think many will understand what I'm saying and that bothers me more than not being able to answer you.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    I find my ability and confidence in typing people accurately is dependent on several factors. One of which is the amount of time spent with them, what kind of person they are and my own personal whims. I've noticed that as time has gone by since I've discovered Socionics my confidence in how accurately I've typed people has diminished greatly. It's not that I think my ability to type them has weakened, but more that I've realized over time how an inexact of a science (if you want to call it one) Socionics really is and how it's subject to personal biases and beliefs that can corrupt it heavily and render it completely useless as a system in determining people's personalities.

I've had numerous occasions when I realized I inaccurately typed someone based on arbitrary deductions derived from mere assumptions as opposed to objectively noticing character traits that link an individual to a specific personality type. I'm not sure if I'm being overly skeptical or merely becoming more aware of the shortcomings of Socionics. I do realize though that some individuals are more acute and aware to typing people accurately without being overly confident as a result of their extensive knowledge and experience in Socionics. So I ask you how confident are you in your ability to type people accurately?
    I can type people with confidence as long as I am typing people whose jobs are complex enough to see their program function, provided I have emails to interpret, provided I have observed them for a few months in a working environment, provided I can see them interact with people they do not know well so I can see their role function, and as long as I can sense their quarta.

Also, I look at their friends. They should not have a lot of friends in their opposing quarta and so on.

I look for static/dynamc and asking/declaring of Reinin and pretty much nothing else from him. (except for quarta values.)

If you can filter through these multiple correlated threads of evidence, you should do fine. Can a Ti PoLR do this?

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i am the most accurate typer in my whole world

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Pretty damn good at it
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pick up on certain traits pretty easily, which vary depending on the individual. For one person Se/Ni valuing stands out more than anything else, while another will be very obviously irrational without much hint for anything else. Plenty of times an entire type will come to mind when I first meet someone off the bat, and plenty of times those knee-jerk typings change once I get to know the person better.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I pick up on certain traits pretty easily, which vary depending on the individual. For one person Se/Ni valuing stands out more than anything else, while another will be very obviously irrational without much hint for anything else. Plenty of times an entire type will come to mind when I first meet someone off the bat, and plenty of times those knee-jerk typings change once I get to know the person better.
    I can relate to this a lot from my experience. I get knee jerk typings and then change my notion of that individual's type once I learn more about them. Leading me to question my ability to type people.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very confident, but typing people is in many ways an exercise in futility since if socionics exists, your relationship with them is going to develop according to what's "supposed" to be.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post
    I can type people with confidence as long as I am typing people whose jobs are complex enough to see their program function, provided I have emails to interpret, provided I have observed them for a few months in a working environment, provided I can see them interact with people they do not know well so I can see their role function, and as long as I can sense their quarta.

Also, I look at their friends. They should not have a lot of friends in their opposing quarta and so on.

I look for static/dynamc and asking/declaring of Reinin and pretty much nothing else from him. (except for quarta values.)

If you can filter through these multiple correlated threads of evidence, you should do fine. Can a Ti PoLR do this?
    I think a Ti PoLR is more likely to ignore those dichotomies completely and rely on other methods on typing people. Such methods could be comparing strangers to individuals they've known for a long time and noticing specific character traits that belong to a certain personality type. A Ti PoLR is more likely to take a more holistic approach as opposed to a logical one at least from my own experience.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I type intuitively most of the time and usually my first guess is correct.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how to measure this accuracy.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae16t View Post
    Other: accurate is not really a good word to use in typology.
    it makes me really happy when people get it

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not confident. I can type by vibe sometimes and it's less stressful that way

Absurd: You Ti dominants sure say things I don't really know where to put.
    labtard: fml
    Absurd: Hah.