Thread: Best places for Betas to live or vacation in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best places for Betas to live or vacation in

I live in Melbourne which I've heard is Delta NF. I don't forsee myself living there for the long term. I guess I'm too high strung for the whole Aussie 'She'll be right mate' attitude all the time. I usually think, "No she won't be right mate, unless you get off your arse and do something". *ahem*

So I was wondering, Betas, where would you live or holiday if circumstances permitted?
    I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am.

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Creepy-male

I always thought of Melbourne (and Victoria in general) as being Beta NF. There's a lot of Culture and Art and other unimportant crap like that there

Sydney, I would say, is Gamma. It's also perfect if you like dark, ugly places choked with pollution, and want to make lots of money. Also, Adelaide would be the Delta NF city, I think.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New York City. No excuse for a poet to live anywhere else (in america). Pastoralism? Forget it! Crowded streets full of clashing and competing wills? Yes indeed! The "natural world"? Hang it all and let it rot! Concrete and marble for me, concrete and marble, marble and concrete.

Seriously, NYC is where I want to live forever. Barring that, I'd be interested in Seattle and Chicago, although I do not get a very beta vibe from chicago necessarily. I don't know enough about cities outside the US (at least not based on quadra vibes) to really respond, but somewhere more romantic in the literary sense, somewhere with more grand ambition and more naked drive, that seems more beta to me. I think the Italian stereotype is very beta, so if there's a place in Italy where it holds true, that might be somewhere to look.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    The "natural world"? Hang it all and let it rot! Concrete and marble for me, concrete and marble, marble and concrete.
    This is why I want to be Delta *shudders* life without nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I always thought of Melbourne (and Victoria in general) as being Beta NF. There's a lot of Culture and Art and other unimportant crap like that there

Sydney, I would say, is Gamma. It's also perfect if you like dark, ugly places choked with pollution, and want to make lots of money. Also, Adelaide would be the Delta NF city, I think.
    Perhaps, I should reconsider my Betaness lol. I agree there is a lot of culture and art. True there is unimportant crap - myki ticketing system comes to mind. My favourite parts of the city are the laneways. It's disappointing that a lot of the character of the city is being destroyed by retail eyesores.

In Melbourne, I just think there is a general lack of 'getting the job done'. Get it done and do it well. Go hard or go home.

silverchris9, I was in NY during Christmas/NYE period. What an amazing city! There's so much history, art, culture etc. I think I would probably burn myself out if I lived there. However, I hope to get my green card so I can experience living there for a year at least.

I was only in Chicago airport on transit. But the idea of gangsters, molls and speakeasies (sorry I don't know if that is spelt correctly) intrigues me.

Seattle - I was there for about 3 days. And it was stressful. My aunty is a caregiver type and I felt totally stifled.

but somewhere more romantic in the literary sense, somewhere with more grand ambition and more naked drive, that seems more beta to me
    Oh I like this very much!
    I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

silverchris9, I was in NY during Christmas/NYE period. What an amazing city! There's so much history, art, culture etc. I think I would probably burn myself out if I lived there. However, I hope to get my green card so I can experience living there for a year at least.

I was only in Chicago airport on transit. But the idea of gangsters, molls and speakeasies (sorry I don't know if that is spelt correctly) intrigues me.

Seattle - I was there for about 3 days. And it was stressful. My aunty is a caregiver type and I felt totally stifled.
    Agreed about NYC. I think everyone should spend some time here. Not that I've been here very long or know hardly anything about the city. But I love it there.

lol on Chicago. Me too, but I wouldn't want to get involved with any actual gangsters. I'd totally get whacked.

Yeah. I like the idea of Seattle, but it might actually be more of a Delta NF place (fitting for your caregiver aunt). I'd have to visit to really find out. But permanent rain seems fairly IEI to me, so w/e.
    Oh I like this very much!
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, some regions in southern italy are quite Beta-ish (Sicily, Calabria). But they're rather underdeveloped, the economy sucks down there. They're really good for a vacation, though. Turkey is also rather Beta, as well as Russia and some ex-URSS countries.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle is so Alpha.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Seattle is so Alpha.
    I see your Seattle and raise you Freetown Christiania.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Italy is just fine as a Beta country, imo. A lot of culture and art and political discussions and people who hold strong opinions, along with expressed emotionality and loud people. FFS, FDG, need I say more than Berlusconi?

FWIW, I do NOT like Russia, most of mid-Europe or France. Too rigid in one way or another, and I've lived in several European countries. Italy is very accepting of more or less any style. I'd say it's probably hell for someone who's rational, though. I went to Uni there, and the professors sometimes were 5-6-7 HOURS late for their lessons.
    Ahah, well 5-7 hours is kind of extreme! I guess they just wanted the students to understand that the lecture had their "new unofficial timetable", lol.
    I think it's good for a rational to grow up in a more flexible country, since it dampens natural tendencies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would absolutely love to live in Boston, MA. I don't know why, but I absolutely love going there every chance I get. I see a lot of art and architecture and culture and potential there.
    LSI (ISTj)

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Seattle is so Alpha.
    No, I'll tell you what an Alpha city is.

New Orleans.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to NYC a couple years ago, and I felt a sense of being at home. Ever since then, I've decided that once I finish school I'm gonna move there regardless of how hard it may be. People warned me that everyone is rude and will treat you like shit, but I had a wonderful experience. I thought they were generally very nice. I realized that the comments made by people who think negatively about New Yorkers are people who have grown up and rarely left the state I live in. To me, the idea of people in the midwest being sweet and welcoming is a crock of shit. The nice I'm referring to is more related. People around here will be all nice and sweet to your face, then turn around and talk shit. I like how New Yorkers don't hide behind a facade of being sweet and caring. They are, in my opinion, much more welcoming because they are real and don't act just for the sake of saving someone's feelings.
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    New York City. No excuse for a poet to live anywhere else (in america). Pastoralism? Forget it! Crowded streets full of clashing and competing wills? Yes indeed! The "natural world"? Hang it all and let it rot! Concrete and marble for me, concrete and marble, marble and concrete.

Seriously, NYC is where I want to live forever. Barring that, I'd be interested in Seattle and Chicago, although I do not get a very beta vibe from chicago necessarily. I don't know enough about cities outside the US (at least not based on quadra vibes) to really respond, but somewhere more romantic in the literary sense, somewhere with more grand ambition and more naked drive, that seems more beta to me. I think the Italian stereotype is very beta, so if there's a place in Italy where it holds true, that might be somewhere to look.
    Yeah. I meet a fair number of ENFjs and ESTps in the city. Almost no ISTps, except maybe downtown. Most of the artsy people in coffee shops are Betas.

I absolutely LOVE NYC also except that there aren't all that many Deltas, except for ENFps. It's an amazing place to be an extrovert though, with all of the people and ideas and weird things happening. You know, it's like when you have a bad day and there is a mariachi band playing on the subway or you see a sandwich fall from a window and almost hit you, or you hear someone meowing like a cat in the stairwell for no reason and it's so bizzare you forget about your problems.

I also notice quite a few Betas in DC.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the interesting discussion.

FDG and Mimosa, now I have more of a reason to visit Italy! Mimosa why don't you like those areas of Europe? I have only been to Paris so I'm curious.

silverchris9 - Oh definitely. I really think if anyone is interested in travelling they need to visit NY at least once in their life. I think when you travel to somewhere like NY your eyes are more open to different things.

I still have a lot of NY to see too. I was staying in Manhattan and Queens.

Re: Chicago - Well given that the SLE stereotype is that of the alpha male/female, I'm sure we'd be okay in that environment. And c'mon you're a bona fide New Yorker now!

[nerd]Have you ever seen Cities Of The Underworld? I find it fascinating. Here's a preview of the Chicago ep. I don't know how safe that veoh player is though.[/nerd]

There was an underground tour in Seattle but I didn't go because I heard it wasn't that great. I think that, based on my limited experience, that I would agree with Akra.

I think my aunt, who is lovely and kind but we just clash on so many levels, deserves a type thread. It's highly unlikely to be type related, but when I was at the airport giving her some gift cards I bought, she ran away. I'm not kidding. Literally, high tailed straight out of there. WTH? lol... Oh and when I arrived in Vegas, I crashed on the hotel's sofa and watched 2 episodes of Jersey Shore to recover. There is nothing like trashy TV to soothe the soul.

Morcheeba - Yes I would rather have someone be a direct bitch to my face. Oh and I hate it when people tell you everyone or everything is like this or that. Although, I found customer service to be hit and miss there. I had this really annoying Best Buy customer service person who was only nice to me after I told him, 'Look there's no need to be rude, I'm about to buy two netbooks from you'. Oh yeah and if anyone wants to know he's at the Noho branch. OTOH, I had a hilarious cashier at Century 21 (she commented on my dress saying it was easy to get on and off hahaha) and a really sweet one at Dean and Deluca who helped this clueless twit count her change.

jewels - I wonder if the SLEs you mention are hetero males...hmmm or rather mmmmm...SLEs <3

Boston - I spent about 8 hours there on a whirlwind trip. It was too short a trip to form an opinion.

There seems to be quite a few New Yorkers here. I should have asked if anyone was interested in a meet up while I was there. Maybe if I get addicted to this place and you guys are still around I will ask again.

Oh and look what happens when you use the search function *facepalm*:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...istj-enfj.html

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago is not that bad people. Any large city will have it's share of shady areas. I'm not one to label a whole city as a socionics type because that just seems really strange to me but it never gave me a 'beta vibe'. I had the option of living in Seattle but it seemed too clean and granola-y and hippyish and boring and behind the times for me. Wait, aren't I describing delta? lol. I sort of regret that decision of not moving there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Chicago is not that bad people. Any large city will have it's share of shady areas. I'm not one to label a whole city as a socionics type because that just seems really strange to me but it never gave me a 'beta vibe'. I had the option of living in Seattle but it seemed too clean and granola-y and hippyish and boring and behind the times for me. Wait, aren't I describing delta? lol. I sort of regret that decision of not moving there.
    Sorry I was referring to prohibiton era Chicago which intrigues me.

I can understand not wanting to label something as one type or another. But I guess to me there are certain things that I like about places that seem to correlate with people of my quadra.

Re: Seattle - There's always the option of a vacation there, right?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enigmadream View Post
    She'll be right mate' attitude all the time. I usually think, "No she won't be right mate, unless you get off your arse and do something". *ahem*
    lol you sound like my dad

I guess Las Vegas could appeal to the more debauchery loving Beta's
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of the big cities I've lived in, Boston is the most beta, overall... The idea of Boston as an intellectual mecca is true--there are alpha and gamma influences--however, it's beta overall. By a lot.

I lived in Cologne Germany for awhile, which was predominately beta as well... Rome, Italy was too.

After Boston, in the US: Chicago... Chicago is about 50/50 Gamma/Beta--very few alphas...

NYC is similar to Chicago in that it's about split between Gammas and Betas. That said, you can find anything in NYC, and you don't have to look hard for it.

San Francisco, although in theory (the idea of San Francisco) seems like it might be beta, it leans Gamma... ESFps and INTps--I've never encountered that vibe so strongly as in San Fran.

So, American cities, in order (from most beta to least

1. Boston
    2. Chicago
    2. NYC
    4. San Francisco

The smaller places I've lived in:

Oxford, UK had a lot of betas... New Haven, CT is a typical American city that declined in the 1950s--the inner-city is predominately beta ST...

Northampton, Mass--where I live now--is one of the greatest college towns I've ever been in... It's beautiful in every way--purple mountains frame it; downtown is lively and full of artists... That said, it's predominately Gamma NT. Betas, Deltas, and Alphas are about even here.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rome isn't Beta c'mon. It's the quintessential ISFp place.